most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
58 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

What yall think?
5 mics (Classic) 15 9.20%
4 mics (Straight Fire) 70 42.94%
3 mics 55 33.74%
2 mics 7 4.29%
1 mic (Trash) 16 9.82%
Voters: 163. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #61
Hollywooo22 
space
space
$2,078 | Props total: 94 94
dis album was KRACK!!!

Ross had alotta hits on this CD..

The Boss
Speedin
We Shinin
This Is The Life
Billionaire
Maybach Music
Here I Am
 10 years ago '07        #62
youngcipher 
space
space
$513 | Props total: 3 3
Port of Miami >> Trilla
 10 years ago '04        #63
nauticafolife 
space
space
space
$1,032 | Props total: 0 0
 williamford3 said:
What is dale county?
lol who cares he from the boot lol its hot but it dont go hard like port of miami did
 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM         #64
igotmyeyesonyou 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
rick ross is the mannnnn. love this cddd
 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM         #65
t3hnhoj 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sh*t.. album of the year so far.
 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM         #66
MyzLuda86 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think it's str8 I like Port Of Miami wayyy better, not something I'd listen to everyday but Rick is the BOSSS!!! :)
 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM         #67
Ameen 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ross is a pusha...

The BOSS

SPEEEDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIN
 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM         #68
gbook2002 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think it could of been better
 10 years ago '07        #69
theFREAK 3685 heat pts3685
space
space
$53,745 | Props total: 38636 38636
Legendary......
 10 years ago '04        #70
U outtaline HO 
space
space
$2,049 | Props total: 0 0
It was str8...though most of his lyrics were repetitive after while..
 10 years ago '08        #71
daddy31+2 28 heat pts28
space
space
$728 | Props total: 4 4
hooooot a.ss album
 10 years ago '08        #72
L33TSauce 
space
space
$164 | Props total: 7 7
1/5

Rick Ross is garbage.
 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM         #73
kameron50 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bow said:

[pic - click to view]

that joint hard
 10 years ago '08        #74
daytona500 
space
space
$1,052 | Props total: 0 0
it had great beat selection he could have left the last song off the cd... he should have put "get love too" produced by the runners and "trilla" produced by cool & dre on the cd. my favorite song is billionaire
 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM         #75
real105 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It was aight he on his boss sh*t
What should we expect? I gave it a 3/5
 10 years ago '04        #76
DoctorJ|m 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,972 | Props total: 211 211

[pic - click to view]

(3 OUT OF 6 STARS: Average album, basically a run-of-the-mill CD taking little risks, and typically what was expected. Contains hits, but consistency and concept are an issue here. Has strong points and equal weaknesses; not bad, but not great either.)

Things start off with thunder effects and slow-crawling synthy drums on the uninspirable “Trilla Intro”. Basically just a short rhymed shoutout list of everyone he respects, has worked with, and has admiration towards. I see the respectively ‘thank-you’ route he was trying to start off with here, but this seems out of place to start off an acclaimed cd with, and believe many will choose to skip it.

Over crawling melodies, customary Cash Money drums, and a slick little film sample from Scarface, Rick Ross goes into “All I Have In This World (Japanese Denim)”, produced by Mannie Fresh. Lyrically Ricky speaks on the women he has, the expensive possessions he owns, how long his money is, and his power. While this song is about average, it does lack the energy and hype you’d want to start an album with, and the Mannie Fresh-sung chorus doesn’t really bring any additional excitement to this song either. Funny sidenote; Japanese denim is a more expensive, unwashed, very heavy, rougher, stiffer style of work jeans that has recently become a fashion craze in Europe, so logically (and realistically) I can’t imagine why the larger Rick Ross would even want to own a pair of Japanese Denims, lol. As a choice for an album cut – maybe; but for first actual song of the cd – this misses the mark.

Next up is the blaring JR Rotem-produced hit, “The Boss”, featuring fellow Floridian T-Pain. Definitely a nice track, displaying Rick Ross’ vocal control over a song, which should have been the first song on this album. With the eerie humming chants, drum reverbs, rolling piano keys, and hand-claps, mixed with T-Pain’s autotune digs, the best way to describe this is ‘gothic crunk’. With the lyrical swagger here, and an a.ssociated video displaying Rick Ross doing a Biggie-rendition from “Warning”; he takes to the Boss part well on this song.

This is followed by the R Kelly-assisted “Speedin”, the first single of this album. While not dominating charts, as Def Jam expected, the hyper Runner’s production here is definitely the highlight, with an ironic “Hello, Chicago” sample from the Dramatics. With fast-speed energy, powerful vocals and a strong verse from R. Kelly, and Rick Ross riding the beat well were a great mind-state for this album’s movement to start with. I would have loved to see a commercial remix of this song featuring faster-rapping counterparts such as: Twista, Busta Rhymes, Bond Thugs, etc.

On “We Shinin”, we get typical Rick Ross’ nice flow, mainly flossing and talking about how much he shines and stunts. Again, the highlight of this song here is the presumably happy and celebratory soul sampled-based production from Bink! (reminiscent of Kanye’s “Good Life”). If you look beyond all the talk of keys on his wrists and how much he gets into them panties, Ross does provide a few thoughtful/funny one-liners such as “…I get food in my stomach from the ghetto birds/All I use is my ghetto words/ I’m the sh*t in my hood, not you ghetto turds…”

“Money Makes Me Cum” rolls in next, and you can tell the first few moments, this is Rick Ross’ strip club jam. Based on the infectious, slow-winding Drumma Boy beat, EbonyLove-assisted female repeated hook, and lyrical content; I think he met his mark & target market. One of the few tracks here not about him, Rick instead shamelessly raps in the perspective of a stripper/and to her; cleverly pointing out, with swagger, what a ‘trill’ bi*ch is to him. Call it a cheap-thrill, but this song is pretty catchy.

“DJ Khaled Interlude” comes off kind of preachy (as with everything else DJ Khaled does). I understand both Khaled & Ross are homeboys, and some of the newer faces of south Florida, but this is sort of a break of momentum in this album. This could have probably worked out though as a better intro, than the one above. Following this is the Trey Songz-assisted, “This Is The Life”. Production is handled by new-comer, Elvis, who slightly impresses me at first listen, sounding like a cross between Timbaland synths (the table tapping pattern in the beginning) and DJ Toomp composition (the horns and drum patterns). Lyrically, here’s an average track for Rick, where his concept is simply about being arrogant, who he hangs out with, how long he parties, and how he lives. I would have liked to see more vocal usage of Trey Songz, other than the short, repetitive chorus.

This is followed by the dragging “This Me”, produced by the real DJ Toomp, which has a sluggish dreamy soundscape for Rick Ross to talk about (what else); drugs, arrogance, his place in rap, and the history he is creating. I think the composition and hook for this song was presented wrong; because the beat gives me another mood than where this song went. While I’m a fan of Toomp, this song’s lagging horns, slothy string melody, and bland chorus, doesn’t impress me and fails to separate itself from anything else being recycled on the album.

Next up is the girl-chasing, 3rd single, “Here I Am”, in which features a guest verse from Nelly, a chorus sung by Avery Storm, and a cool little interpolation of Stevie Wonder’s “Lately”. Production-wise, the second-rate piano melody, and Avery singing the hook a little off-beat and too fast, take away from the track, but Rick Ross holds things together with a nice flow and rhyme-scheme. While not as memorable as Ross’ 2 verses, Nelly shows that he’s still alive and can still rap. Above average track, I’d say.

Rolling in next is my favorite song on here, the JUSTICE League-produced “Maybach Music”, featuring Jay-Z. Infused with Italian-styled cooing in the beginning, live drums, orchestral arrangement, a subtle classic 70’s soul vibe, and elevated lyrics from both emcees, this just feels like a complete song. Mr. M-I-Yayo holds his own with the Jiggyman, with both of them wittily trading stories of metaphorical rhymes of their riches, actions, and rise to fame. Jay-Z gives us one of his better, deeper verses in a while with a lot of memorable one-liners…”I’m like G Rap with better transportation; on the road to the riches is my final destination”; “true story, my closet is like 2 stories, picture a happy ending cause I don’t do stories”; “Sean Cory, real rap; the Maybach is bananas, peel back”, etc.

On “Billionaire” the JUSTICE League again provide the soundscape, this time a little colder and moody, complete with a Nancy Wilson, “I’m In Love” sample. Rick Ross speaks on how he rolls/rides, his takeover, and how he’s the hood billionaire. I like the beat, but the only problem is, as with “This Me”, I get a completely different mood from the music, than what Rick Ross did with it. In my honest opinion, the “Straight Bout Cash” composition of this song sounds too similar to Lupe Fiasco’s “Stack That Cheese” rant in his “Hip Hop Saved Me” single, so it’s hard for me to take this song seriously.

JUSTICE League complete the triple-play for Ross, in “Luxury Tax” with a hard-cracking snare, soulful melodies, and triumphant horns, very Just Blaze-esque. Being a small southern all-star track, this song also boasts features from Trick Daddy, Young Jeezy, and Lil Wayne, all talking about how they handle business and ball out. Combining these powers together, especially with a tight beat like this, you really can’t go wrong. I was pleasantly surprised this song wasn’t totally dominated by drug-talk either. I think the high-profile guest also made Rick Ross coming harder and more focused.

This is followed by the Triple C & Brisco posse-cut “Reppin My City”. Over an active and annoyingly-repetitive chopped up “Reppin My City” sampled beat; produced by Miami duo, Carlos & Dada, the crew tries to speak on their enemies and their force in Miami. Being from south Florida, I would have liked to see them represent Miami differently. Quality-wise, this song does not sound correctly EQ’ed, and suffers because of it. Brisco’s flow and clarity doesn’t mesh well the other Triple C member’s drawls here. Worse off, Rick Ross wastes a complex rhyme pattern over this messy rhapsody too.

Lastly, the album is closed out by the DJ nasty-produced “I’m Only Human”, using the often-sampled Human League 1986 pop hit. Over a hopeful-sounding beat with wholesome singing from Rodney, Rick Ross decided to end the album on a requisite positive note. This is a good introspective track looking into the struggles behind the now wealthy Rick Ross. Lyrically, he details his mistakes, his praise to his mother, coming from a single parent home, his crack dealings at the early age of 12, and his regret of not seeing his son as often. The D-boys may not appreciate this song, but I think it’s great Ross is opening up a little more to his fans. I may be biased because as a producer I’ve tried to use this same sample, but this track shows a potential of growth that Rick Ross is capable of in the future.

(Favorite Tracks on this Album):
“Maybach Music”
“Luxury Tax”
“Money Makes Me Cum”
“Speedin”
“I’m Only Human”

(Least Favorite Songs on this Album):
“This Me”
“Reppin My City”
“All Around The World (Japanese Denim)”

10 years ago '04        #77
DoctorJ|m 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,972 | Props total: 211 211

Verdict:
This doesn’t have the big chart-topping bangers and #1 hits that Ricky’s debut had (ie. “Hustlin” & “Push It”), but it has more of a substantial consistent feel, and less filler. Lyrically, he still comes with pleasantly surprise one-liners and comes off with more depth than from first look…but he isn’t reinventing the wheel of concepts here yet. Missing some other notable leaked songs (such as “Trilla”, “Criminal Minded” feat. Akon, and “Street Money” feat. Flo-Rida), and lacking the customary Cool & Dre production in which personally, he sounds best over; there were obviously mistakes on this album. He still has a lot to learn on creating a theme/movement with an album; for instance, I would have loved to see a “Boss”-type concept song with either a Bruce Springsteen sample and/or feature. I’m hoping to see a little more growth (which I didn’t see here) on his 3rd album. While he definitely missed his mark of “Thriller”-status, I do think he’s established a voice and identity, along with his push for southern unity, to deserve to be promoted to a rap “Boss”, if at least for the south. I’m interested to see how far he’s willing to work this Biggie-comparison.

As published by me, in the Man Up Magazine.

DOC J
 05-30-2008, 10:31 AM         #78
Soyez 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
classic.
 10 years ago '05        #79
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
u n*ggas are crazy sh*t is crack the beats was dope

and i love ross flow sh*t is hot this sh*t is better then C3

smh @ that weak a.ss cd but real talk this is a good cd

i still bump it and it came out 3 months ago
 10 years ago '06        #80
shedrick 
space
space
$346 | Props total: 0 0
something decent to ride to.
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
79 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
73 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
67 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
118 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
191 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
51 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy