The Official Lost Odyssey Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
201 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
142 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
248 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
88 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #21
Syringe|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$16,858 | Props total: 2375 2375
 P-Hill said:
Japan devs don't care about America

The Japanese packaging of LO contains all DVD's in separate flaps... meanwhile in America, the DVD's are stacked on top of each other and the 4th DVD is in a lil paper slip

[pic - click to view]

I wonder when the Mistwalker team is going to try something different though. I think its great their bringing the classic formula to the 360 since it has greatly lacked forever on a MS system but I really want to see when they go for their own vision and their own unique formula for a RPG.
 10 years ago '06        #22
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
i like that packaging though :(...
 10 years ago '05        #23
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72 OP
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
I dont mind the packaging. They should do it like the PCs and extense the cd part and have all 4 cds stacked ontop of one another. Might make box a bit bigger but it works. Also im worried a bit about the loading times but hopefully they aint too bad.
 10 years ago '05        #24
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,084 | Props total: 10762 10762
GameInformer review coming soon

Mistwalker’s latest Xbox 360 RPG, Lost Odyssey, is shipping today, and our review is almost ready for release. We caught word that there is a difference in load times between the review build we had and the final boxed version, however, so we’re waiting to double-check if this is indeed the case before we post. Our readers deserve the most accurate coverage possible, and if there is a noticeable load reduction in the retail SKU, we want to make sure they know. We’re hoping to have our review posted tomorrow—stay tuned.
 02-12-2008, 09:01 PM         #25
Jann 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im joining this party even though I hate JRPGS. Something about this game makes me happy.
 10 years ago '06        #26
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
i hope what GI said is true and the load times are better in the retail version.
 10 years ago '05        #27
space
space
Im a bit mad about the US casing though seems a bit sloppy.

[pic - click to view]

Lost Odyssey comes on four, count 'em, four discs. Which creates a packaging dilemma for the folks at Xbox HQ. In Asia, the problem was solved by releasing a slightly fatter case, which housed all four discs on two little trays. An elegant solution. But the American version? They cram three discs into a case then stick the fourth in a paper envelope. Not so elegant.

Sigh. Should of gone Blu-Ray.

Last edited by PhI|0z0pH3r; 02-13-2008 at 07:13 AM..
 10 years ago '05        #28
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
 10 years ago '06        #29
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
fu*k

GAME

CRA

ZY

me and my boy were walking up there in the pouring rain just a few minutes ago so i could trade in a.ss Creed, Eternal Borenata and NBA Street wh0orecourt and cop LO (my boy was getting Dark Messiah ). so we're walking in the freezing rain for about 10 minutes when we decide "hmmm we should call just in case," but we knew they would have it seeing as how we went up there yesterday and they told us they would be guaranteed to have it "BY NOON TODAY". so we call anyways just to be 100%. then these n*ggaz tell us they ain't have either game. x1000. we turned right around and went to our respective homes......only reason i can't go nowhere else is cuz GC is the only place that will let me trade in my games and give me the most for them (fu*k GameStop), and i don't even have enough for the game itself without trading in. so now i gotta wait till tomorrow to play...fu*k them...i'm pissed. i ain't got sh*t to play right now. fu*k GAME CRAZY.
 10 years ago '05        #30
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
^^^fu*k your sig n*gga

here are some impressions from cats at OperationSports who have the game

I played through the first hour and had a good time. I am happy to report that in my first hour of play I never waited more than 15 seconds during a load or transition screen. The game does seem to be old school like everyone said, but with an incredible degree of polish. I can't see how reviewers are knocking it for that. That's like being a movie reviewer who doesn't like comedies, but reviews them all the time.

There were a few frame rate drops, but nothing terrible. The cut scenes use an interesting blend of cinematic approaches. I also like the voice acting so far.

Oh well. I would like to see the end of both random battles and use of save points in JRPG. However, I know that's not the case here and accepted it when I spent my $60. I got the game for the incredible story and the idea that you use strategy instead of constant grinding. So far so good.

The disc stacking and cheap plastic sleeve for the 4th disc is a joke though.
1) I must say I am very impressed with the visuals. The game is graphically gorgeous. (like SD said, polish up the ying yang)

2) It is a traditional JRPG. If you liked FFI-X I think you will enjoy LO.

3) Load times don't seem that bad. I think Mass Effect took longer, Bioware just did a better job of hiding it.

4) The opening sequence was awesome (don't want to give it away) might be one of the best.

5) If you know what to expect, you want be disappointed.

I only have one problem with the battle system. once you start to get rings you have to time your attacks with the right trigger. I have yet to get a perfect. I usually always get good. I guess I'm getting old.
Played about an hour and 45 minutes just to get a taste. Its early, but right now it seems stylistically like one part Final Fantasy, one part Shadow Hearts, and one part Xenogears.

I don't think its going to bring any new fans to the genre(unless they're young and this is their first game of this kind) Its definitely a shout out to the old school RPG fans.

The loading times don't seem that long to me, I've played a ton of games that took way longer than this game does. Seems to range from 5 to 15 seconds.

"A Thousand Years of Dreams" may be the deciding factor for how people feel about this game. I know a lot of people are going to HATE it, I've just seen my first one and I think its great.

I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy this game immensely.
5 hours in and thoroughly enjoying it.

Thousand Years of Dreams are fantastic. They are superbly written with great music, different imagery, and text effects. You are not forced to read them the moment they come up too. You can read them when you rest or at the start menu.

Loading is really a non issue, at least for me. It certainly isn't close to what the reviews made it sound like. I have yet to experience anything over 15 seconds, which has came up only a few times. Loading is usually 5-8 seconds and when you go back into areas that you have already been, they are almost instantaneous. So either there is a difference between the review builds and retail builds, or peoples DVD drives are failing.

The first couple hours are really story heavy, so I'm just now starting to really dig into the combat, but I'm liking it. The guard condition system seems like it's going to be pretty big key to having success. The ring system is nice. It certainly makes the combat a little more interactive. The immortals having to link to the mortals to learn skills is a pretty cool dynamic. I'm very interested in seeing how this opens up once I get more members in my party.

Frame rate is pretty stable for the most part. The graphics are good. Some parts just are to muted (thanks UE3) and DOF is used a bit much, but overall it's pretty nice looking game thanks to some really great art direction. The music is awesome, especially the main theme.

Does Kaim sound a little like Jackie Estacado (The Darkness) to anybody else?

Jansen is great. Dude has had a few really funny lines so far.

Okay. Had a busy day but I got around to playing up until the first boss. Again, load really don't seem to be an issue. The pro reviewers seem to have singled that out in their review process but it seems that retail copy doesn't have the issue. The load times are comparable to Mass Effect and Oblivion, nothing so far has taken so much time that I got annoyed.

Gameplay is pretty much what you'd expect from a traditional JRPG. Nothing really to add. About that first boss though, I got wiped several times before I came up with a strategy that worked. I was actually really glad for that. I didn't have to go grind levels (it would take forever first of all), I simply changed strategies and where I was getting wiped, at the same level I beat the boss with relative ease. The random battles aren't too bad, they are not as frequent as I have become used to in games like this.

The story is paced slowly, but it's cool for me since I am kind of big on character development. Once huge plus to the story for me is the 1,000 Year Dreams. Basically, if you go to certain spots in certain areas Kaim will have a flashback or dream that reveals more of his back story. It's a really nice addition that I am sure will add a nice bonus to the story. If it doesn't it's still all good because they are nice reads.

I can tell I am gonna be addicted to this for the next week or two just from the few hours I've put in today.
Played about 4 1/2 hours last night. Loved it.

I will say for anyone on the fence, if you do not like turn based, heavy story, slow moving games, DO NOT GET THIS. You will not like this game. In fact you will HATE this game. However, if you do like traditional JRPG's with a heavy story, you will most likely love this game. The good news, is that the story so far is excellent.

I agree with Flawless that the dream sequences are well worth the read, and well done. I usually hate reading that stuff in games, but the stories are so good that I find myself being drawn to them.

I also so far like the fact that Kaim is a torutured soul. He reminds me of a Vampire who is tired of his existence. In some games you'd think, "Sweet this dude is immortal and can kick some *** w/out reprecussion!" But in his case you feel his pain. The characters are fleshed out pretty well so far. And they are more mature and a less wacky that the FF games.

I have had zero issues with loading times. BTW. I like the combat system so far. I am seriously into the story though, much more than any game in a LONG time. I'm at work right now and can't wait to play more tonight.
:( my xbox picked the perfect time to break ONCE AGAIN
 10 years ago '06        #31
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
why you hating on my sig? the original Xbox 360 n*gga. Sony ftw.
 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM         #32
rullegardin 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
game is good, definitely a breath of fresh air for the 360.....be prepared o die a few times during the boss battles tho
 10 years ago '05        #33
space
space
Word im playing through Monster Hunter Freedom 2 on the PSP to get me warmed up for this game. Cant wait till friday.
 10 years ago '06        #34
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
just beat the first boss. i love this game already. more on that later.
 10 years ago '04        #35
CrAkKedOuT 961 heat pts961
space
space
space
$23,680 | Props total: 15141 15141
gettin the game as we speak
 10 years ago '06        #36
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
My Impression:

As far as the load times to get from area to area and the load times to get into battle, don't listen. so far all the load screens i've gone through have lasted from 3 seconds-8 seconds (yes i've been counting to make sure), so the reviewers must have really played an earlier build. the load times are a non-issue.

the Skill Linking system works well; almost every time you level up you will learn the skill you have linked right away. and speaking of leveling up, there is no level grinding so far (i'm about 2 hours in, i've gotten into about 6 random battles so far since i just entered my first "dungeon" or "field" so to speak where i'm f!ghting on my own, and i've leveled up 3 times already for each of my 3 characters.)

the Ring a.ssembly system is also easy to use and works well, but you can tell it'll only get more complex as the game goes on. it's a nice touch too cuz if you had a Fire Ring for example, then your weapon will be basically on fire.

my problem is the Aim Ring. it's not as easy as it looks. all i've been getting are Good ratings and a couple Perfects (I NEED 3 IN A ROW FOR THIS DAMN ACHIEVEMENT :finger:). matching up the circles are hard because it's hard to determine where the outer ring is once it gets into the inner ring since they had to make em look all fancy and look like some gears in a machine, so getting a Perfect, for me at least, is a matter of luck . nevertheless it adds a nice lil interactive part for the melee characters. it's a nice addition.

the scenery, characters, cutscenes (i fu*king LOVE the comic book like shots), and everything else look beautiful. the details of the environment and characters are really nice. effects in battle are great (especially the Gears-esque "Roadie Run" the characters do when they go in to attack). this is definitely a game you wouldn't wanna play if it's not in Hi-Def. there are a lot of little details in the environment too like the way they hide random loot for you to find (i found a spell for me to use behind some street team looking posters in the city though). English voice-acting is good, which i'm surprised at cuz most RPGs i switch right to the Japanese voice, but i gave this one a chance and it's really good. the story has yet to fully come forth, but it's easy to follow what's going on early in (unlike a certain 12th installment to a certain RPG series that decided to use a certain old form of English to make the game's story certainly hard to follow )

all-in-all, so far, this is the perfect game for classic JRPG/turn-based/Final Fantasy style game enthusiasts out there. no doubt you'll fall for this game after your first few battles. now if ya'll excuse me, i got a thousand years worth of dreams to recover ...

EDIT: oh yea btw, fu*k them A Thousand Years of Dreams sequences where they expect me to read through a 10 page essay about this n*ggaz past. .

Last edited by jayvivz; 02-15-2008 at 11:06 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #37
CrAkKedOuT 961 heat pts961
space
space
space
$23,680 | Props total: 15141 15141
Good review jay. It's a lot better than other peoples - "yo dis sh*t is dope as fu*k [/review]"

Ill peep this game later on today.

BTW Anyone know what info or special items are left out for the people that did NOT pre-order this game??
 10 years ago '05        #38
quizzical 
space
space
$89 | Props total: 0 0
yea this game is pretty hot. its my first game of this type. but can anybody tell me how they beat that first boss cause its pissing me the hell off. please let me know something
 10 years ago '04        #39
VickVega 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,739 | Props total: 114 114
That packaging is fu*ked up. Is this what 2009-2010 360 games are going to be looking like? 3 to 4 Discs? this reminds me of the SVCD days before Divx, Im mean damn, thats some sh*tty packaging right there. Did you cop at GameStop?! How long did that sh*t take to download Crakked out? LOL-game looks good, sounds like he gives people what they should expect, no innovation for a reason, and Beautiful graphics, storyline,etc. Isnt this his style?
 10 years ago '06        #40
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
 quizzical said:
yea this game is pretty hot. its my first game of this type. but can anybody tell me how they beat that first boss cause its pissing me the hell off. please let me know something
if you're talking bout the giant robot that Kaim f!ghts by himself in the beginning then what you have to do is alternate attacking the left and right guns cuz if you keep attacking one then you won't do big damage. and anytime you see it says Blade Up do not attack. make sure you choose Defend so when it drops the blade it'll reduce the damage from like 130+ to 40ish. after that just keep up the alternating and you'll be done in no time. also don't forget to heal with some Healing Medicines in your Item inventory. i got fu*ked up the first time, but once i realized that i had to alternate attacking the left and right sides and that the Blade attack was the strongest i whooped that a.ss.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
61 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
71 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
44 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
55 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
144 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
79 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
42 comments
19 hours ago