The Official Lost Odyssey Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
230 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
108 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
128 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #1
6915 pageviews
122 comments

PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
The Official Lost Odyssey Thread

[pic - click to view]

Published by: Microsoft
Developed by: Mistwalker
System: Xbox 360
Genre: Role-Playing
Release Date: Feb 12, 2008
Players: 1 Player

In Lost Odyssey you play as Kaim, an immortal who's lived for a thousand years. Here's the kicker: Kaim's lost his memory. As you progress through Lost Odyssey, you'll unlock many secrets of Kaim's past. Some are crucial to the overall storyline and are told through cut-scenes. Others, however, don't impact the story, but give a greater sense of Kaim and his world. These are handled quite differently with Lost Odyssey's A Thousand Years of Dreams feature.

There are more than 30 dreams to unlock as you play Lost Odyssey. Most are stories of Kaim, though a few tell the backstory of the other immortals you meet on your journey. Each dream is told through text, with music and sound effects to punctuate some of the emotional moments. While text stories may sound boring to the modern gamer, we've found them to be excellent reads. In fact, many of the dreams are as fascinating as the main tale.

The dreams tend to portray Kaim as a quiet observer, witnessing the extraordinary events in the lives of otherwise ordinary people. Dreams are unlocked through conversation with NPCs or by examining an object that reminds Kaim of a previous event. You can relive a dream by resting at an inn or through an option in the main menu. And yes, there is an Achievement earned for collecting every dream.

A Thousand Years of Dreams isn't an essential part of Lost Odyssey. You can get away with ignoring the dreams and successfully complete the game. But it's a nice extracurricular activity for those who want to fully engross themselves in Kaim's universe.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60M4EizSIts

[pic - click to view]

http://www.gametrailers.c .. yer/28757.html

[pic - click to view]

IGN - 8.2 out of 10

[pic - click to view]

UGO - B+

[pic - click to view]

GameTrailers - 8.8 out of 10

1Up Review - 8/10
While Lost Odyssey's overarching tale is effective enough as a generic RPG plot filled with political intrigue, it really only serves to get the player from Point A to Point B. The storytelling is most compelling when dealing with the interaction between characters, whether it's Kaim and Sarah's intriguing relationship, Seth's pirate past, or the s3xual tension (?) between Jansen and Queen Ming. Kids who grew up on Final Fantasy are in their 20s and 30s now, and I think we crave more of those elements now that we've got the patience to tolerate them and the life experiences to understand them. If Sakaguchi intends to turn Lost Odyssey into a franchise -- and all indications are that he does -- I'd like to see these refreshingly adult themes expanded on further in future titles.

Just one request, Mr. Sakaguchi: Leave the kids at home next time, OK?
TeamXbox
Gameplay 8.3
An intriguing story, massive scope and entertaining combat. Better production work and code optimization could have helped the overall package a bit.

Graphics 8.0
Decent usage of the Unreal 3 Engine, although there is some room for improvement on the technical side of things.

Audio 7.0
The soundtrack is moving, but the sound effects and dialog leave a lot on the table.

Longevity 7.8
Patches of repetitiveness spoil a bit of the scope.

Innovation 7.8
A conscientious effort was made to make Lost Odyssey different than other turn-based RPG’ers, however, some area feel pretty outdated.

Overall 8.3

Eurogamer 8/10
Many of those moments are contained within the Shigematsu short stories. These dreams add so much more depth and emotional resonance to the main storyline even if, like me, you're so stone-hearted that you fail to cry while reading any of them. It would be interesting, in fact, to know which came first: the stories or the story. Did Shigematsu's stories inspire the main narrative thrust? Or was he asked to write them to fill in the gaps? Either way, they add another dimension to the storytelling, so while an amnesiac hero might have done before, the emotional richness of the story is fairly unparalleled by any other JRPG. Certainly, no other game has managed to capture such a breathtakingly elegiac tone, or created such a compelling account of the immortal longing for mortality.

And that, really, is the reason that Lost Odyssey manages to overcome its many flaws. If you just fundamentally don't like the genre, then there's a chance that Lost Odyssey will fail to convert you. If you're too attached to the sorts of innovation introduced by the likes of Final Fantasy XII, there's a chance that it's just too old-fashioned for your cutting-edge tastes. But if you've got the patience to sit through its slow build up, and if you're open-minded enough to allow it to transport you, then it will take you to places that other JRPGs haven't even dreamed of visiting.
Old School Throwback Nostalgia - 4 CD Game!!:applause::applause:

Last edited by PhI|0z0pH3r; 02-12-2008 at 01:46 PM..

122 comments for "The Official Lost Odyssey Thread"

10 years ago '05        #2
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72 OP
space
space
Anybody else hyped for this?
 10 years ago '05        #3
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
we can only embed youtube vids
 10 years ago '05        #4
space
space
Ight can you do the youtube link i posted then.
 10 years ago '04        #5
Scotty The KCL 67 heat pts67
space
space
$6,830 | Props total: 103 103
pre-paid.
 10 years ago '04        #6
GoSensGo 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,817 | Props total: 449 449
Damn I wish Mistwalker would drop something for the dark side!!!
 10 years ago '05        #7
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
1Up Review - 8/10

While Lost Odyssey's overarching tale is effective enough as a generic RPG plot filled with political intrigue, it really only serves to get the player from Point A to Point B. The storytelling is most compelling when dealing with the interaction between characters, whether it's Kaim and Sarah's intriguing relationship, Seth's pirate past, or the s3xual tension (?) between Jansen and Queen Ming. Kids who grew up on Final Fantasy are in their 20s and 30s now, and I think we crave more of those elements now that we've got the patience to tolerate them and the life experiences to understand them. If Sakaguchi intends to turn Lost Odyssey into a franchise -- and all indications are that he does -- I'd like to see these refreshingly adult themes expanded on further in future titles.

Just one request, Mr. Sakaguchi: Leave the kids at home next time, OK?
 10 years ago '08        #8
gangsta_blck 9 heat pts
space
space
$581 | Props total: 0 0
Looks to be a pretty good game on 360......:D
 10 years ago '06        #9
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
copping wednesday. this is gonna be in my 360 for a loooong time :D. hope we get the DLC they released in Japan soon after too.
 10 years ago '05        #10
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
Gameplay 8.3
An intriguing story, massive scope and entertaining combat. Better production work and code optimization could have helped the overall package a bit.

Graphics 8.0
Decent usage of the Unreal 3 Engine, although there is some room for improvement on the technical side of things.

Audio 7.0
The soundtrack is moving, but the sound effects and dialog leave a lot on the table.

Longevity 7.8
Patches of repetitiveness spoil a bit of the scope.

Innovation 7.8
A conscientious effort was made to make Lost Odyssey different than other turn-based RPG’ers, however, some area feel pretty outdated.

Overall 8.3

TeamXBOX review
 10 years ago '06        #11
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
getting mostly good reviews all around. cannot waaaaaaaaaaait. definitely trading in Eternal Sonata and a.ssassin's Creed for this.
 02-12-2008, 02:19 AM         #12
Jepprey 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ya'll better most your first thoughts on the game tomorrow. i'll be working all day, so i may cop thursday.... looks like a good one.
 10 years ago '05        #13
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,986 | Props total: 1312 1312
im hoping they got extra copies 2morrow, cuz its my bday and i want that game (:
 10 years ago '05        #14
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space

Many of those moments are contained within the Shigematsu short stories. These dreams add so much more depth and emotional resonance to the main storyline even if, like me, you're so stone-hearted that you fail to cry while reading any of them. It would be interesting, in fact, to know which came first: the stories or the story. Did Shigematsu's stories inspire the main narrative thrust? Or was he asked to write them to fill in the gaps? Either way, they add another dimension to the storytelling, so while an amnesiac hero might have done before, the emotional richness of the story is fairly unparalleled by any other JRPG. Certainly, no other game has managed to capture such a breathtakingly elegiac tone, or created such a compelling account of the immortal longing for mortality.

And that, really, is the reason that Lost Odyssey manages to overcome its many flaws. If you just fundamentally don't like the genre, then there's a chance that Lost Odyssey will fail to convert you. If you're too attached to the sorts of innovation introduced by the likes of Final Fantasy XII, there's a chance that it's just too old-fashioned for your cutting-edge tastes. But if you've got the patience to sit through its slow build up, and if you're open-minded enough to allow it to transport you, then it will take you to places that other JRPGs haven't even dreamed of visiting.
 10 years ago '05        #15
space
space
Man its dropping today and im broke. *Eyes tear up*
 10 years ago '05        #16
HiRolliN 109 heat pts109
space
space
$20,248 | Props total: 2422 2422
if i can find this game in my town today i will buy it.
 10 years ago '06        #17
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
most likely won't be in ALL stores today. maybe a few select ones, but i'm not wasting my time going today. i'll wait till tomorrow...gonna trade in Eternal Sonata and a.ssassin's Creed (@Ass creed) for this bad boy.
 10 years ago '05        #18
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space

[pic - click to view]

GameSpot - 7.5

Getting the most out of Lost Odyssey will require a bit of patience, even from those used to the slower pace of the genre. However, the gameplay subtleties and character-driven narrative are rewarding enough to make it worth the occasional frustration. No, the game breaks no new ground, and it suffers from some inexcusable technical glitches. But if you stick with it, you'll find a compelling emotional drama, delicate adjustments to an age-old formula, and a unique and balanced skill-development system. Kaim's journey is a memorable one, and if you like turn-based RPGs, you'll want to experience it for yourself.
The Good
  • Kaim is a great hero, and his supporting cast is equally appealing
  • Text flashbacks are well written and emotionally gripping
  • Spell and skill development is handled deftly.

The Bad
  • Unacceptably long load times and poor frame rate
  • Protracted battle intros and other frustrations break up the pace
  • Some nonbattle gameplay elements are boring, pointless, or needlessly frustrating.
 10 years ago '05        #19
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
Japan devs don't care about America

The Japanese packaging of LO contains all DVD's in separate flaps... meanwhile in America, the DVD's are stacked on top of each other and the 4th DVD is in a lil paper slip

[pic - click to view]

10 years ago '07        #20
Syringe|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$16,858 | Props total: 2375 2375
Sounds great :applause:

May have to check this out.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
60 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
21 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
19 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
102 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
102 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Ross’ Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
48 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy