The "Official 2008 San Francisco 49ers Thread"

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
58 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
251 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
71 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #321
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,647 | Props total: 42 42
 Myles Away said:
Damn Icon, Ralph absolutely tore Scot McCloughan a new one in that interview. That just guarantees York will never be on KNBR to answer any questions. The Yorks are clueless, you think McCloughan will be replaced by Holmgren in the off-season seeing that he's definitely not coaching?
Ralph was also giving Michael Smith (from ESPN) a hard time the day before that...

He really came off as an a**hole IMO...

Holgren replacing McCloughan, I doubt it...its more likely they could work together though...but who knows, should be an interesting off-season...

And I'll add David Bass is starting at LG taking over Adam Snyder's spot...according to Matt Maiocco

Last edited by iCON216; 10-25-2008 at 04:01 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #322
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary's first game is one to remember (or forget)

Interim coach Mike Singletary had an eventual first game as interim head coach in the 49ers' 34-13 loss to the Seahawks at Candlestick.

Singletary had a blistering media session that I'm sure will live on for a quite a while in video archives.

He benched the quarterback that offensive coordinator Mike Martz had been saying was doing an outstanding job. (In fact, Martz acted like the media were a bunch of buffoons for even asking the question last week.)

Singletary benched tight end Vernon Davis and then banished him to the locker room. After the game when Davis wanted to speak with Singletary, the coach told him, "No, you don't want to talk to me."

After it was all over, Singletary apologized to the players. He also apologized in his opening comments to the media.

Singletary tore into Davis in his postgame remarks. Singletary called Davis off the field after he was called for unnecessary roughness, a 15-yard penalty, after he caught a 7-yard pass late in the third quarter. He was sent to the locker room.

"It was something I told everybody at the very beginning of the week," Singletary said, his voice growing louder and louder. "I will not tolerate players that think it's about them when it's about the team. And we cannot make decisions that cost the team, and then come off the sideline non-chalant. No. You know what? This is what I believe. I'm from the old school. I believe I'd rather play with 10 people and get penalized all the way until we have to do something else, rather than playing with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team. It is more about them, than it is about the team. Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it.

"I want winners. I want people who want to win."

Did you kick him off the field and go to the locker room?

"I told him he'd do a better job for us right now by taking a shower and coming back and watching the game than going back in the game," Singletary said. "Simple as that."

When asked if Davis would be the 49ers' starting TE in two weeks, Singletary said, "We got to think about that."

Davis was not available for comment after the game.

And when asked who is starting quarterback will be, Singletary said, "We got to think about that, too."

Singletary said it was his decision to bench J.T. O'Sullivan after his interception late in the second quarter was returned 75 yards for a touchdown. When asked if he got resistance from Martz, Singletary said he thought Martz knew him well enough from going through this past week that there was no need arguing.

Singletary said he'll revisit who starts for the 49ers in a couple weeks when the team returns after the bye week. "I think right now, Shaun Hill, today in that situation gives us a better chance of winning," Singletary said.

INJURY REPORT: TE Delanie Walker (elbow sprain) is scheduled to undergo an MRI examination on Monday. T Barry Sims (ankle), RS Allen Rossum (hamstring) and WR Arnaz Battle (foot) all have sprains. They were listed as questionable on the preliminary injury report.

[pic - click to view]

Video: Mike Singletary Postgame conference

Last edited by iCON216; 10-26-2008 at 08:31 PM..
 9 years ago '06        #323
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,280 | Props total: 2189 2189
Props on the Singletary and Michael Smith links. I can't stand Ralph

Yall see Mike Nolan on NFL Network? He's still throwing shots at Alex Smith he needs to let that sh*t go
 9 years ago '05        #324
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary heard loud and clear in debut

SAN FRANCISCO – Mike Singletary was so angry, he simply couldn’t contain himself. Eyes bugging out the way they did when the Hall of Fame middle linebacker prepared to knock heads back in the day, Singletary began the first postgame speech of his head coaching career before all of his players had reached the locker room.

Some members of the San Francisco 49ers were still trudging down the tunnel underneath the Candlestick Park stands, processing a 34-13 humiliation at the hands of the hapless Seattle Seahawks, when they heard Singletary’s loud and charged address to the team emanating from the locker room walls.

Once they entered, the latecomers froze and tried to blend into the background.

“There are some people in this room that don’t need to be here,” Singletary said pointedly. “We’ve got guys in here that are cancers. The thing about cancer cells is, they multiply. We’ve got to cut them out.”

Gulp.

If there was any doubt as to whether Singletary’s style would differ sharply from that of his mentor, friend and predecessor, Mike Nolan, it was dispelled on an emotional afternoon in which the Niners dressed in their resplendent throwback uniforms and were dressed down by their irate interim coach.

Most of San Francisco’s players had long ago tuned out Nolan, one of the reasons the fourth-year coach was dumped last Monday. Singletary didn’t give them an option.

“It was pretty heated in here,” one veteran said. “What he said was true, and it wasn’t subtle. He was very clear: We’ll do it his way, or else.”

Singletary had every right to be mad about the way the 49ers played, an embarrassing effort that included a crippling interception for a touchdown late in the first half that led to quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan’s benching. Defensively, the 49ers managed to turn 242-pound Seahawks fullback Leonard Weaver, at least for a day, into a bigger fantasy football star than LaDainian Tomlinson. Twice L-Dub took a short pass from backup quarterback Seneca Wallace and ran like the Candlestick Point wind, producing second-half touchdowns of 43 and 62 yards and a laugher of a victory for a struggling Seattle team (2-5) that lost to the Niners (2-6) six weeks earlier.

What set him Singletary off even more – and this was something he made clear in a rather extraordinary press conference following his locker-room talk – was the blatant disrespect he encountered from third-year tight end Vernon Davis, the sixth overall pick of the 2006 NFL draft.

Late in the third quarter, with the Niners trailing 27-6, Davis caught a sideline pass from quarterback Shaun Hill at the Seahawks’ 42-yard line and was driven out of bounds by safety Brian Russell, who talked a little trash in the process.

Davis stuck his right hand under Russell’s chin and gave it a push upward, drawing a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. He came off the field acting like nothing had happened, and Singletary began to deliver a stern lecture.

“You don’t need to be sayin’ nothin’ to me right now,” Davis barked at the coach, according to witnesses. Singletary ordered Davis to take a seat on the bench, and shortly thereafter the coach approached and stressed the importance of avoiding stupid penalties.

“I said I don’t need to hear it,” Davis snapped, cutting him off.

Singletary told Davis to go take a shower, and as the Niners were driving for their first and only touchdown of the game, the tight end was waving his helmet at what was left of the announced crowd of 67,504 and heading through the tunnel.

Upon reaching the locker room, Davis took his helmet and threw it violently against a wall, according to one eyewitness.

Meanwhile, on the 49ers’ sidelines, most of Davis’ teammates were quietly singing the praises of ‘Coach Sing.’ ”

Explained one veteran defender: “Vernon does this crap all the time, and Nolan would always let it go. He created this monster. The good news is that Coach Sing wasn’t having that.”

Added another veteran defender: “No one’s bigger than the team, right? We were all happy to see that this (expletive) won’t be tolerated.”

Other than perhaps the candor with which Singletary laid out his displeasure upon meeting the media, none of this was surprising. Because of Singletary’s Hall of Fame credentials and the way he carries himself, he is taken seriously by members of the organization. That credibility, and the potential for motivation that comes with it, is the primary reason general manager Scot McCloughan decided to elevate Singletary, rather than offensive coordinator Mike Martz (who coached the Rams to the Super Bowl seven years ago), as Nolan’s interim replacement.

Conversely, Nolan’s lack of locker-room cred had a lot to do with his awkwardly timed departure last Monday evening. To his credit, McCloughan had heavily foreshadowed the move in a long conversation between him and Nolan on the Niners’ flight home from Newark, N.J., following a defeat to the Giants.

Nolan, several Niners players say, lost the team last season, which began with high expectations following a 7-9 campaign in ‘06. Midway through a year in which San Francisco would lose eight consecutive games and finish 5-11, Nolan gave a speech to the team on the Monday after a defeat in which he announced an end to his lenient ways. It soon became known derisively in the locker room as the “Warm and Fuzzy” speech.

“He got up there and said, ‘I’m done with the warm and fuzzies,’ ” recalled one player who witnessed the talk. “He said, ‘I’ve made it too warm and fuzzy around here for too long. No more (expletive) warm and fuzzy.’ It was comical. He was up there ranting and raving and clearly trying to be something he wasn’t.”

[pic - click to view]

Continued VVV

Last edited by iCON216; 10-27-2008 at 07:43 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #325
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space

Added another Niners player: “It was a total front. I had a comeback waiting for him if he ever said it again: ‘It’s real warm and fuzzy on the sidelines, (expletive).’ ”

After last season, owners John and Denise DeBartolo York promoted McCloughan from vice president of player personnel to general manager with the intention of firing Nolan, sources close to the situation said. McCloughan’s first act as GM was to talk his bosses out of making a coaching change, persuading them that the team had enough talent to make a playoff run in ‘08 and that Nolan gave them the best chance to pull it off.

Though he was now Nolan’s superior, McCloughan went out of his way not to appear overbearing, even removing his tie for the press conference announcing the revised power structure when he saw that the coach wasn’t wearing one. But Nolan, whose penchant for reminding players of his authority had become a running joke in the locker room, insisted at the press conference that “I will remain the one voice in this organization, and the face. I don’t believe it will change at all.” McCloughan chafed privately; the new GM also refrained from overruling Nolan when the coach hired Martz to run the team’s offense, which soon created additional internal tension.

With Martz orchestrating what amounted to a fixed quarterback competition that predictably swung in favor of O’Sullivan, a journeyman whose stint as a backup with the Detroit Lions made him the only candidate familiar with Martz’s system, Nolan appeared indecisive and disingenuous in his public comments. Hill, another career backup who signed a two-year contract with the team after performing well in the final two games of last season, was held out of training camp practices with what Nolan and Martz claimed was a tired arm; sources close to Hill say the a.ssertion was totally fictional.

Not known for his people skills, Martz baffled his players after their 33-30 comeback victory over the Seahawks last month when, at a team meeting the following day, he told them, “You shouldn’t be satisfied, because it’s not just about winning. It’s about trying to be the best offense in the league … the best offense in history.”

Greatly hampering Martz’s grand plans were O’Sullivan’s penchant for taking sacks and coughing up the football. His 11 fumbles this season are more than any NFL player, and he began Sunday’s game as though he were literally trying to hand it to the Seahawks: On the second play from scrimmage, O’Sullivan tried to scramble and had the ball knocked out from behind him by defensive end Patrick Kerney. Defensive end Darryl Tapp had a line on the ball and could have fallen on it, but he tried to pick it up in stride and kicked it all the way to the 49ers’ 5-yard line, where San Francisco center Eric Heitman recovered it.

After the Seahawks went up 3-0 on an Olindo Mare field goal, O’Sullivan drove the Niners to the Seattle 6. But on second-and-5 the quarterback rolled out after a play-fake and fumbled after being hit by former 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson. Kerney picked up the ball and returned it 50 yards, setting up another Mare field goal.

It was 13-3 Seattle with 44 seconds left in the first half when, facing a fourth-and-4 from the Seattle 29, Singletary blew off a field-goal attempt and entrusted O’Sullivan to make a throw. Looking for wideout Arnaz Battle in the flat, O’Sullivan served up a tasty offering that cornerback Josh Wilson intercepted in stride, racing 75 yards for a door-slamming touchdown.

At that point, Singletary told Martz he was benching O’Sullivan, a move likely to carry over to the 49ers’ next game (they play the Cardinals in Arizona following a bye week) given Hill’s reasonably proficient effort in the second half.

Despite Sunday’s brutality, the 49ers players believe there is cause for optimism. With Nolan’s departure, defensive coordinator Greg Manusky will have greater freedom to run a scheme similar to the one he coached under then-Chargers coordinator Wade Phillips in 2006; on Sunday the 49ers confused the Seahawks at times by employing defensive end Justin Smith as a de facto outside linebacker in a hybrid scheme with 3-4 sensibilities. They also believe Singletary may implore the pass-happy Martz to make halfback Frank Gore and a physical running attack the focal point of the offense, though many are skeptical that it will actually happen.

If nothing else, after Sunday, the 49ers know they have a coach who’s willing to wield his authority – interim or otherwise – in a very forceful, sincere and conspicuous manner. Whereas Nolan annoyed them by talking about how powerful he was, Singletary seems intent on prodding them into doing things his way.

If not, as the Niners now know, there’s a warm shower and a harsh locker-room speech waiting for them.

[pic - click to view]

Thinking long and hard about Singletary's actions

Mike Singletary is the 49ers' interim head coach. But there was nothing "interim" about his actions during yesterday's game.

One day later, I'm still trying to decide whether Singletary set an appropriate tone for his stay with the 49ers or whether he completely over-played his hand. The benching of quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan was appropriate, no doubt.

The other situation deserves a closer examination.

Certainly, on face value, Vernon Davis' actions did not warrant such a dramatic action. He caught a pass, Seattle safety Brian Russell started jawing at him. And Davis, on his way to the huddle, reached out and tapped the bottom part of Russell's facemask. (Russell's head tilted back about 3 inches.)

Then, Russell immediately turned to the nearest official, as if to say, "Hey, did you see that?" That's when the flag comes out for unnecessary roughness. Unnecessary roughness? For that?

On Davis' way off the field, he appeared to wave a hand dismissively at Singletary. That was not a good move, and that likely set off the next series of events. (Singletary said Davis' reaction was to say, "What? What?")

Singletary had some choice words for Davis and then sent him to the bench. That's where Davis remained until Singletary came over to lay into Davis some more. Then, Singletary decided to send Davis to the locker room while the game was still in progress. (He made Davis return to the bench to take his helmet with him.)

Afterward, Davis wanted to speak with Singletary. But Singletary informed Davis that, no, Davis did not want to speak with Singletary at that time. Singletary was still seething.

Everybody is going to pile on Davis now. Singletary blasted Davis during his post-game comments. I've never heard a coach rip a player publicly quite like it, saying Davis is not a team player and he's not a winner. To me, it seemed over-the-top. Don't get me wrong, it made for some great material to write about.

Hey, Davis is immature. He's a narcissist. He is not a great pass-catcher. But I do not question Davis' work ethic and his commitment. Is Davis selfish? Probably. A lot of great players - and, believe me, I'm not calling Davis "great" - are selfish.

Whatever happens for the remainder of Davis' career, Singletary's words will follow Davis for the rest of his career.

I sat there transfixed -- amazed -- at Singletary's press conference after the game. Today, I'm wondering if a coach can have any longevity with the approach he showed on Sunday. If he got so angry after something like that during a game, can he be counted upon to make rational decisions during the course of a heated game?

And what about the 49ers' personnel department? After all, Davis was a first-round draft pick who nobody doubts has a lot of talent. He is signed through 2010. Is the interim coach making a long-term personnel decision with the way he handled Davis?

If you recall, Mike Nolan laid down the law when he came to the 49ers. But he had the final say on personnel, and he shaped the roster with players he wanted.

He took an immediate stand with Jamie Winborn, banishing him from the practice facility after an early season loss to the Cowboys. Winborn had to rebuild his career from scratch. Only recently has he found new life in the NFL with the Broncos.
Nolan took similar stands against Kevan Barlow, Brandon Lloyd and Ahmed Plummer. He agreed to sign Antonio Bryant, but then cut ties with him after one season. Heck, even earlier this season against the Saints, Nolan benched Davis for the final six minutes of the game when he got up pounding his chest after catching a pass in a blowout loss.

It is easy to support Singletary for his actions because it's something different. It's no-nonsense, and it's something we all say from time-to-time. "If I were the coach, I would've told that player to go take a shower."

But in today's NFL, I just wonder if that sort of approach can be successful.

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by iCON216; 10-27-2008 at 07:43 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #326
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary speaks about Davis, QB situation

Mike Singletary had his first day-after game press conference today at the 49ers' team offices in Santa Clara.

Every team in the NFL has so-called cancers, 49ers interim coach Mike Singletary said. With his actions on Sunday, Singletary seemed to be calling out Vernon Davis.

But, Singletary said, "I'm not including Vernon on that list."

As interim head coach, Singletary said he will continue to look at the makeup of the locker room. "My eyes will always be looking around for those people who want to be a part of something bigger than themselves," Singletary said.

As for the so-called "cancers," Singletary said, "Those guys will continue to eat at a team until they eat at the very soul of the team."

But Singletary said today during his day-after game press conference that Davis does not fit into the category of a player he does not want on his team.

"Vernon is not a problem," Singletary said. "Vernon is not a problem guy. Vernon just forgets sometimes that the team is more important. Vernon is not a guy who doesn't come to practice. You have to tell Vernon, 'That's enough. Don't hurt the guy. That's your teammate.' He works his tail off. You don't have a problem with Vernon that way.

"What you have a problem with is with some of the decisions he makes at crucial times. 'Vernon, what were you thinking?' You have to be able to separate the two. He's not the kind of guy is a distraction on the team. Yesterday was somewhat of a distraction, but everybody knows Vernon. They know full well who Vernon is, and I did what I had to do so that he wouldn't be so much of a distraction."

Singletary said he and offensive coordinator Mike Martz looked at the film together this morning and pointed out some things about both quarterbacks -- J.T. O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill.

Singletary said no decision has yet been made which QB will start when the 49ers return to action Monday, Nov. 10, against the Arizona Cardinals.

"We're going to continue to have conversations about that," Singletary said. "We have some time to really reflect and decide how we want to look at it going forward. We'll make the right decision. Whatever's best for the team, that's what we're going to do."

Singletary was asked about his post-game press conference that received a lot of national play on Sunday. Is that going to be how Singletary speaks after all games?

"Maybe I'll drink a little more water," Singletary said. "Maybe I'll breathe a little bit. I had a chance to talk to the players and coaches, and I came in there that's kind of my personality. I don't talk a whole lot, but when I'm talking I do know what I feel and I do know what I want to say."

Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, who was up in the booth all last season and for the first seven games this season, spent Sunday's game on the sideline. Singletary said 49ers director of football operations Paraag Marathe is still up in the booth. He a.ssists Singletary with clock management issues.

"Yes, Paraag is there as the clock guy who is constantly feeding me information when I need it, and that's a good thing," Singletary said. "He and I talked before and after the game, as well as some this offseason. The relationship was there. And I welcome that."

By the way, I truly appreciate the rational comments on the previous blog. I knew the tone of that blog might not be a popular with the readers, and a lot of you made some very strong points.

One point I'd like to make: It's a standard thing in the NFL that whenever a coach leaves, that coach is bashed. In many cases, it's revisionist history. But as I've noted, there are always disgruntled players in every locker room. There are guys on Super Bowl winners who think they should've been playing more.

After the day wraps up here, I'll be heading to Stockton this evening to speak to the 49ers Booster Club there. Looking forward to a fun evening.

[pic - click to view]

Hill gets the nod to be starting QB

Coach Mike Singletary informed the quarterbacks this afternoon at Shaun Hill will replace J.T. O'Sullivan as the team's starter for the Monday, Nov. 10, game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Hill is always upbeat, but he seemed particularly so this afternoon. He declined to talk about the decision -- saying the announcement should come from Singletary. Just moments ago, Singletary confirmed Hill as the starter.

Vernon Davis said he and coach Mike Singletary talked briefly this afternoon. Davis said he did not do much talking. Instead, he listened to what his coach had to say.

"He pretty much told me that I have to be aware of what's going on on the field," Davis said. "If someone says something to me, I can't let it bother me. I have to be bigger than that. I agree. I shouldn't have retaliated after the guy said what he said."

Singletary talked a lot about respect today. Does Davis feel like he was showing Singletary respect?

"Well, one thing about me, when I get heated, I just want to be to myself," Davis said. "I didn't really hear him calling me at the time. I was just in another world . . . I didn't say anything to the coach. I just did what he said. He told me to sit down, I sat down. He told me to go inside, so I went inside."

When asked if he talked back to Singletary, Davis said, "No, not at all. . . . I didn't say a word."

"I believe we can make it work," Davis said. "Coach Singletary really wants to win. He's excited. This is his first time handling a big job like this. He has to get comfortable and we have to get comfortable with each other. I think he's going to do a good job."

Singletary intimated that Davis was not a team guy. (OK, he didn't intimate it, he said it.) How did that make Davis feel?

"I know I'm a team guy," Davis said. "I asked him about that comment he made. He basically told me that he didn't mean that. He knows I'm a team guy. I am. My teammates know it. I love my teammates. I love the coaches. I think they're doing a good job around here. I would never do anything to hurt my teammates or put them in any kind of trouble."

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #327
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary searching for a spot for Brooks

Here's the beauty of the bye week: It not only allows teams to recharge their batteries and heal nagging sprains and pulls, it gives them a little freedom to experiment. "It gives us a chance to really put players in situations where maybe if it were a regular practice we wouldn't have that time to make those changes ...," Mike Singletary said today.

One of those players being worked into a new position is Ahmad Brooks. When Brooks first arrived early in the season, the 49ers mostly played him at "Mike" linebacker behind Patrick Willis. They then moved him to "Ted' linebacker when Takeo Spikes seemed to struggle early in the season. Spikes, however, started to excel once he mastered the defense, and now the 49ers are trying to find other ways of working Brooks, inactive for the first half of the season, into the game.

At 6-3, 260 pounds, Brooks is among the team's biggest linebackers and also one of the most athletic. "He could be an outside linebacker, he could be rushing," Singletary "But we'll figure that out. We're figuring out the best way to get him out there and to make sure that he enhances (the defense) and we don't have to take anybody else off the field that's helping us right now," Singletary said. The coach said Brooks is currently being eyed as a defensive end. "We put him out there and he looked pretty good. But we'll see where he's most comfortable."

When Delanie Walker injured his elbow Sunday, he said he was worried that the injury was similar to the dislocated shoulder he suffered his rookie season. It's not. Walker is out of the sling he was wearing early in the week and said he'll definitely be ready for next Monday's game in Arizona.

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #328
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary's halftime antics exposed

The 49ers were getting their behinds spanked through 30 minutes of play on Sunday against the Seahawks.

And interim coach Mike Singletary pulled no punches during his first halftime speech - but he did pull down his pants.

A team spokesman today confirmed a report by Arizona radio's Mike Jurecki that Singletary dropped his pants in front of his team at halftime. "He was just dramatizing how embarrassing it was," 49ers director of public relations Aaron Salkin.

The halftime talk went something along the lines of . . . "We're getting our tails whipped out there, now let's get back out there," according to Salkin.

Singletary is not available to the media until Monday. He has not released a statement to address the incident. When asked if Singletary is embarrassed by the incident, Salkin said, "There are other ways he could've done it. He knows that."

Oh, and by the way, he was wearing boxers.

And the animated halftime talk didn't seem to work so well. The 49ers trailed 20-3 at halftime, and lost 34-13.

This anecdote came to light on a blog by Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic (). Jurecki, of XTRA-910, said an NFL source inside the locker room confirmed the story. Jurecki has a good reputation for his reporting on the Cardinals.

UPDATE (12:39 p.m.): Singletary spoke with 49ers.com and had the following comment on his halftime show:

"I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us. I needed to do something to dramatize my point; there were other ways I could have done it but I think this got the message across. I am excited about having the team back at practice on Monday so we can get back to work."

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #329
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Training camp in November

We're going to make this short and sweet on Election Day.

Today was a "bonus" practice - a rare Tuesday workout before a Monday night game. The 49ers did not do any work on the game plan, so Mike Singletary decided to do something that is generally not done after the team breaks training camp.

He had the No. 1 offense (or some semblance of it, without receivers Isaac Bruce, Arnaz Battle and Josh Morgan) going against the No. 1 defense. You might recall that several weeks ago, I wrote about the '"ones" going at it in a two-minute drill. But today's session was longer and more spirited. It looked a lot like training camp.

Donald Strickland and Nate Clements picked off Shaun Hill on back-to-back passes. There were some physical play, though the team was not wearing pads. Chilo Rachal played right tackle, but don't read too much into it. The top three options at right tackle - Jonas Jennings (shoulder, limited work), Barry Sims (ankle, no work) and Adam Snyder (ill, no work) - did not take part.

The teamwork concluded when Frank Gore caught a short TD pass in front of Mark Roman and spiked the ball. That was not received too well by the defensive players, obviously.

I finally got around to compiling some numbers on intended targets. Bruce has seen the most passes come his way (46) and he's caught 50 percent of those balls (23).

Are you disappointed that Vernon Davis has only 16 receptions? It might have something to do with the number of passes that has been directed his way. He's been the target of just 25 throws this season.

Heck, Morgan (with 11 receptions), has seen 25 passes thrown his way, too.

Battle has 24 catches on 41 passes thrown his way. However, six of those incomplete passes have been intercepted.

Here's a bit of an oddity: With J.T. O'Sullivan as quarterback, Frank Gore had just eight passes intended for him fall incomplete. But in Hill's only half of action, there were five times when he and Gore failed to connect.

[pic - click to view]

11-07-2008, 03:49 PM         #330
bayhogg  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
update on shirts.. Feedback on any changes that can be made to make better is greatly appreciated, as i wanna get these printed asap.

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #331
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 bayhogg said:
update on shirts.. Feedback on any changes that can be made to make better is greatly appreciated, as i wanna get these printed asap.

[pic - click to view]

Nitpicking here but dont like how the football covers up about half of the letter H...

But pretty coo concept...

Young wideouts finally get their chances to shine

GM Scot McCloughan (and Mike Nolan) has not experienced much success in finding wide receivers via the draft. But what about the team's two youngest wideouts? Can they play?

At this point, we do not know.

But the 49ers' game Monday night at Arizona might begin to provide us with some clues about those two players.

Rookie Josh Morgan has supplanted veteran Bryant Johnson as the starter at split end, and second-year player Jason Hill will likely get his most extensive playing time of his career as he takes over for injured Arnaz Battle.

Hill played only 30 snaps all of last season. As a rookie, he caught just one pass for 6 yards. With the amount of three-receiver sets offensive coordinator Mike Martz likes to employ, Hill could be on the field for approximately half of the team's plays Monday at Arizona.

"This is probably the best opportunity he's had, but we'll see," 49ers receivers coach Jerry Sullivan said. "I'm not going to pass any judgment until I see him do it in a game."

Hill has three receptions for 38 yards this season, including a 33-yard grab on a Shaun Hill pass on Oct. 26 against the Seahawks after Battle sustained his foot sprain. (Battle is week to week.) Morgan has 11 catches for 160 yards on the season.

Hill was a third-round pick in the '07 draft, while Morgan was chosen in the sixth round earlier this year.

The 49ers have not had a lot of success with picks at receiver since Terrell Owens in 1996. The receivers they selected after Owens were Iheanyi Uwaezuoke (fifth round, '96), Ryan Thelwell (seventh, '98), Tai Streets (sixth, '99), Cedrick Wilson (sixth, '01), Brandon Lloyd (fourth, '03), Rashaun Woods (first, '04), Derrick Hamilton (third, '04), Rasheed Marshall (fifth, '05), Marcus Maxwell (seventh, '05) and Brandon Williams (third, '06).

[pic - click to view]

Singletary discusses '49ers formula for success'

The 49ers just concluded practice, and coach Mike Singletary held his gaggle with reporters.

Among the things he discussed:

--There has been no decision whether to promote receiver Dominique Zeigler from the practice squad, but it is something the club is serious considering for Monday night's game against the Cardinals.

--Adam Snyder will start at right tackle. Jonas Jennings will likely be available for the game. He would be the backup at both tackle spots.

--As far as cutting down on the number of sacks in the second half, Singletary said he'd like to get the run game going better and use play-action to slow down the opposing pass rushes.

--He said playing on a Monday night is an experience that starts Sunday when you're able to see all the other teams playing. Singletary said players run the risk of getting over-excited for the game. They have to maintain their calm before the storm, he said.

--As written about earlier today, the 49ers have a new banner up in front of their locker room. It reads:

49ers formula for success

1. Total ball security
2. Execute
3. Dominate in the trenches
4. Create great field position
5. Finish

"It's not a new flavor of the month," Singletary said. "It's not, 'I think this is it; it sounds good.' No, this is what we have to do in the second half of the season to be successful and give ourselves a chance to compete at the highest level."

Are those five things Singletary felt the team didn't do in the first half?

"Obviously, we didn't do a lot of things right in the first half, so you try to sit back and reflect and capture those things that you have to do in the next half of the season to give yourself a chance to get back in it."

He added, "It doesn't mean anything until it gets into the hearts of the players. And that's what we're driving home."

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by iCON216; 11-07-2008 at 09:08 PM..
 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM         #332
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Props to Icon(who apparently, I've propped too many times.. ) for consistently updating this thread during an incredibly frustrating season. I haven't had really time to come on lately, with work and school I done fell off on this... Either way, here's to a better second half.. :ernaehrung004:
 9 years ago '08        #333
Jeans&Sneakers 158 heat pts158
space
space
$4,354 | Props total: 1167 1167
can't wait for Monday, i think we have a legit shot at winning despite what most experts think.
can't remember the last time 49ers were on the MNF...
 9 years ago '05        #334
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 KeleN_07 said:
can't wait for Monday, i think we have a legit shot at winning despite what most experts think.
can't remember the last time 49ers were on the MNF...
November 12, 2007
San Francisco 0
Seattle Seahawks 24
:(

Indeed a winnable game, Niners are one of the few teams to slow down Kurt Warner this season...week 1 he didnt even get 200 yards...

Myles Away said:
Props to Icon(who apparently, I've propped too many times.. ) for consistently updating this thread during an incredibly frustrating season. I haven't had really time to come on lately, with work and school I done fell off on this... Either way, here's to a better second half.. :ernaehrung004:
Hoping for a miracle comeback this season or at least smash the Cowboys...

WR Dominique Zeigler Called Up To 53 Man Roster

Receiver Dominique Zeigler, who dominated on the practice squad like none other the past two seasons, got a much-deserved promotion today.

Zeigler was signed to the 49ers' 53-man roster. The 49ers waived rookie tackle Kirk Barton to make the roster space available for Zeigler, a first-year player who went undrafted in 2007 out of Baylor. Zeigler caught 54 passes for 741 yards and three touchdowns as a senior.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz dropped some hints on Friday that Zeigler would get the promotion. Zeigler said he had heard the whispers, too. But he said he wasn't going to call his family until he got on a plane to Arizona.

He can make that call now.

Zeigler has been playing X (or split end), as well as the slot position. He distinguished himself last season on the practice squad with what seemed like a weekly highlight-reel catch. He credits playing baseball as a youngster for his good hands.

"You have to catch the ball in baseball or it'll knock your teeth out," he said.

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #335
lakersboy03 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,927 | Props total: 646 646
:hang:
 9 years ago '05        #336
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Singletary impressive after 49ers' agonizing defeat

The 49ers absolutely blew this game tonight. They had control of the game throughout, and then mismanaged the final critical seconds of the game - an excruciating 29-24 loss to the NFC West-leading Cardinals.

This might sound a bit on the nutty side, but this is exactly the kind of game Mike Singletary needed to experience as head coach. I'm looking at the big picture. This is the kind of game that will do more to prove Singletary as a head coach than any victory would've done.

This was an emotional loss for an emotional man. And Singletary handled it with aplomb. He handled it like a leader. I walked out of the locker room this evening very impressed with Singletary and his message to the team.

Oh, sure, a victory would have been a nice reward for such an outstanding all-around effort. But a victory might have given the team false hope that they've turned the corner. Singletary can use a game like this as a learning experience for his players - and, especially, for himself.

"My heart is torn out because we lost," Singletary said. "It also tells me something: We just have to learn how to finish games."

That is No. 5 on Singletary's list of "49ers formula for success." And the 49ers did not finish. They have a long way to go before they can finish the job.

"We have a vision that we believe in thoroughly," Singletary said. "But that vision did not get carried out today."

Quarterback Shaun Hill played a gritty game. He played like nails in the first half. In the second half, he committed three costly turnovers.

"It's very frustrating," Hill said. "Our guys fought so hard. It was very frustrating that my turnovers in the second half really put the defense with their backs against the wall a couple of times. We had a great drive going and I threw the interception trying to hit Frank (Gore) on the check down. So any one of those three (turnovers) could have changed the game."

Hill was crestfallen afterward, as you would expect.

"I was sitting at my locker and he (Singletary) came up and patted me on the shoulder," Hill said. "It's great to have that kind of encouragement from coach Singletary and I do appreciate that. I just really wish we could have gone out and gotten a win for him tonight, and it was there for the taking."

The entire nation was watching breathlessly when tight end Vernon Davis was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after removing his helmet in the aftermath of catching a very impressive 18-yard scoring pass late in the first half.

Singletary approached Davis on the sideline, and Davis hugged his coach.

"I told him, 'Great catch, (but) let's remember to stay smart,'" Singletary said.

Here's what Davis had to say after the game when I spoke with him:

"Me and coach Singletary are best of friends," Davis said. "I love coach Singletary. He's probably one of the best head coaches I've ever had."

In what way?

"In every way," Davis said. "He gets you prepared. He knows the game."

Where you concerned what he might say to you after the penalty?

"No, I wasn't concerned because I didn't do anything foolish," Davis said. "It was just excitement. It's been a while since I got into the end zone. It was just excitement."

There was an NFL Network report Sunday that Singletary apologized to Davis for his handling of that situation Oct. 26 against the Seahawks when Singletary banished him to the locker room and then blasted him in his remarks to the media. I asked Davis if Singletary apologized.

"I don't think he did, but he didn't need to apologize because he didn't do anything wrong," Davis said. "He was just into the game. I respect that."

I asked if Davis, who is an emotional person, can relate to an emotional head coach such as Singletary.

"I do," he said. "I just like to win. I'm a winner. I compete."

The 49ers bungled the final minute of the game, no question about it.

There was confusion after Jason Hill was stopped at the 1-yard line. That play began with :52 remaining. The 49ers looked like they wanted to send on their short-yardage personnel. But then they decided to spike the ball.

Shaun Hill had to get everybody settled down and avoid any kind of penalty. He spiked the ball with :20 remaining. "We knew what we needed to do," Hill said. "It was just a matter of getting lined up legally before we could do it."

After Frank Gore's run to the outside was stopped for a 1-yard loss, the 49ers had one final play from the 2-yard line with :04 remaining after a replay challenge.

On that play, Michael Robinson Robinson - not Gore -- got the call up the middle. But he was stuffed by linebacker Clark Haggan a yard shy of the end zone.

"The clock started as soon as the whistle blew, so we just did what we could do," Robinson said. "I always expect the ball, so I wasn't surprised. They made the play and we didn't."

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who made the play call, was not available for comment after the game.

Said Singletary, "Coach Martz felt there would be a cavity inside, so he made that call."

As for the final hectic seconds, Singletary admitted, "Yeah, we could've done a heck of a lot better job."

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #337
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space

Singletary's post-game press conference

Here's what 49ers interim coach Mike Singletary had to say during the Q&A after the 49ers' 29-24 loss to the Cardinals in Glendale, Ariz.:

Q: Can you talk about the sequence at the end of the game, the play call, why Michael Robinson from the 2 ½ yard line on the final play of the game?
Singletary: You know what, I really don't know. I think Coach Martz felt that there would be a cavity inside, so he made that call.

Q: Could you have handled the final seconds better?
Singletary: I do. I think we could've done a heck of a lot better job. I talked to the referee on a couple of those. For whatever reason, we weren't quite set. It looked like Shaun (Hill) was taking all day, but we had to get guys aligned right or it's a penalty. So we had to wait on the guys to come before he could spike it.

Q: That was the confusing part. (Jason) Hill catches the ball to the 1-yard line with 40 seconds left and you don't get another play off until there's 20 seconds left. What happened?
Singletary: The only thing I can say about that particular time is you have guys that were trying to get back to the line of scrimmage. Shaun was trying to get the call in time, and trying to get everything settled. We lost about 10-12 seconds at that time, which was ridiculous, but it happened.

Q: Mike, what are the emotions you're feeling right now? You played a lot better than two weeks ago against the team that's leading the division. But then what happens at the end of the game. How do you grasp what happened out there?
Singletary: I'll tell you exactly how. I came in and just basically told the team what it is. We're that team right now that got ourselves up and ready to go. We have a vision that we believe in, thoroughly. But that vision is not yet carried through. The first one is ball control. We did not do that. I got to give them (Arizona) credit. They did a good job and played well. But our vision, we have to stay true to the vision in order for us to be successful. We did not. For us, in a nutshell, we played together. We played as a team. We came here to win. But in the end, we just did not finish. It's that simple: We did not finish. And you have to finish, and we did not.

Q: Were you happy with the intensity and the mindset you saw throughout the game?
Singletary: How do I say this? I can't say 'happy' because I didn't expect anything different. It's not like we go out there and go, 'Wow, you guys are playing hard.' If we don't get that, I might as well go home. I'd just say that we got to grow up. If we want to be a great team, we have to finish. We have the other part coming. The guys are playing hard and they are focused. But that's not good enough. They know that; I know that. It just tears your heart out. So in these next seven weeks, we got to refocus, come back , , , you think it took character for this week - this is exactly what I told them - it's going to take character for this week coming up. We got to go get it done. It's as simple as that. It's very frustrating and very difficult to put into words everything I feel. I'm being very calm, OK? - to say the least.

Q: Could this game be so demoralizing that you have a carryover? Or is that your job to make sure it doesn't do that?
Singletary: That's my job. There will be no carryover. Carryover to what? We'll be fine. We got a great group of guys in there who want to win. But we just got to learn how to win. That's it.

Q: How did you feel about how Vernon (Davis) handled himself after the touchdown?
Singletary: I just told him, 'Great catch, let's remember to be smart.' And that was it.

Q: How do you characterize the penalties. There were a lot of penalties where the refs changed their minds?
Singletary: I can't even begin to go there because I have to look at it myself. It was happening so fast and there were so many things going on, so I don't want to go to the officiating side of it and say anything because I have to look at it and sit down and analyze it. There's too much going on. It felt like it got crazy and got out of hand at the end of the game, at the most critical time of the game. That's when it got sloppy. That's all I can say about that.

Q: With Shaun Hill, the run he had with his helmet off, the touchdowns he had, but the turnovers in the second half. How do you sort out what kind of performance you got out of your quarterback?
Singletary: Shaun wants it. He's trying to make something happen. He goes back and we're driving down the field and thought he saw a guy open and tries to throw the ball underneath. If he gets it to the guy, 'Hey, great play, he makes something happen' and you love the guy. But it didn't happen that way, so it's 'What a dumb idiotic thing to do at such a critical time.' Shaun is a blue-collar guy. I love Shaun. I think Shaun was trying to do everything he possibly could to do it the right way. So, it's a shame that it ended the way it did. I have no apologies. All I'm going to say is the same thing I told them: My heart is torn out because we lost, obviously. But it also tells me something else: We just have to learn how to finish football games. All the other stuff is right there. All the other stuff is right there. But we cannot do the things - giving the ball away - we cannot do it and give us a chance to win.

[pic - click to view]

Shaun Hill kept his cool in final minute

The thing that stood out was how Shaun Hill handled himself. While everybody around him on the field - and on the sideline - was panicking, Hill was about the only person thinking clearly.

As I was driving to Santa Clara this morning, I heard people on KNBR ripping Shaun Hill for not taking matters into his own hands. I heard several people say that Hill should've just gone to the line of scrimmage and spiked the ball.

But what you could not tell from TV is that there was mass confusion. The 49ers' short-yardage offense started to come out on the field. Mike Martz was yelling to spike the ball. Then, it appeared as if he looked at the clock and changed his mind. At one point, the 49ers had probably 15 offensive players on the field.

Hill had to wait until the all the guys who were at first ordered onto the field went back to the sideline. Then, he had to make sure Jason Hill was lined up properly to avoid a penalty and a 10-second runoff on the clock.

There were a lot of things that went wrong in the final minute, but Hill did an outstanding job of keeping order.

It was because of lack of organization from Martz and the sideline that 25 seconds ran off the clock from the time Jason Hill was tackled at the 1-yard line to the time Shaun Hill restored order and spiked the ball.

Instead of getting a potential of four plays from the 1-yard line, the 49ers were able to run - and run they did - only two plays.

That's where the game was lost.

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by iCON216; 11-11-2008 at 09:21 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #338
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space

Singletary explains final hectic seconds

Coach Mike Singletary addressed the media to talk about the 49ers' 29-24 loss to the Cardinals last night.

Here is the essence of what he had to say:

--Singletary said there was a lack of communication between the officiating and the sidelines in the final seconds. He thought there should've been 12 seconds on the clock after the replay review on Frank Gore's run.

The 49ers were also working under the impression that they would have the ball at the half-yard line. When referee Tony Corrente made the announcement that the ball would be moved back to the 2 1/2-yard line, the 49ers' sideline could not hear what Corrente said because of the crowd noise.

Singletary said offensive coordinator Mike Martz made the playcall under the mistaken impression the ball was at the half-yard line. And because the clock was set at :04 and would begin when the ball was ready for play, they did not have time to change the play. Nor did the 49ers want to take the chance on spiking the ball and seeing time run out.

--Said Singletary: "The thing that I was trying to do most of all was to get all the information, which was very difficult to do, and try to get that information to Coach Martz so we could make the best decision possible. It was very difficult getting the information that we needed. I was on the field talking to a couple of the officials about where the ball would be spotted and how much time we'd get back on the clock. . . . And then when I left those two guys (officials), they moved the ball back to the 2 1/2-yard line."

--Singletary said he thought the clock should've re-started at the snap of the ball instead of at the whistle that the ball was ready for play.

He added, "I've been told that I should probably go ahead and call the league. But that's the last thing I want to do right now. I don't need to hear, 'Oh, that's on us.' I don't need to hear that. In my mind, because they're not going to change anything. In my mind, I'm going to let it go and just make sure that as we go forward, we cover things out here (on the practice field) that we need to get covered and make sure we have the right protocol."

--Singletary added: "The only thing I'd like to have happen as a result of this game, all over the league, is for the officials . . . one official should go to one sideline and one official should come to our sideline and say, 'This is the scenario. This is what's happening.' Because we have no idea. We have no clue what's going on. The referee is standing out in the middle of the field and says whatever he's saying, but you can't hear it on the sideline."

--Obviously, it was a questionable call to give the ball to Michael Robinson. The play was designed to be run from the half-yard line. Robinson and Frank Gore were going to be in the backfield, and Gore was going to motion to the left, and Robinson was going to get the handoff up the middle.

However, because the clock was starting at the whistle and the ball was moved back, the 49ers scrapped the motion part of the play and had Gore line up outside. The handoff went to Robinson. The 49ers had eight blockers vs. the Cardinals' 10 players in the box. There was no way that play was going to get 2 1/2 yards.

"It's very frustrating as you look back on it because Mike Martz made a call, and he would've changed that call had he known the ball was going to be moved," Singletary said.

--As for the 23-second runoff before Shaun Hill could get the team settled enough to spike the ball, Singletary took responsibility, saying, "That is my job."

There was mass confusion on the sideline. The 49ers started to send a different personnel group on the field, while Hill was being told to spike the ball. However, he could not spike the ball because the 49ers would've had too many men on the field and in an illiegal formation.

--Singletary said he had no problem with Martz's playcalling in the last couple of minutes. He said they were on the same page.

There was some interaction between Singletary and Martz when Singletary decided to kick a field goal, rather than go for it on fourth and short.

"The offensive coordinator always wants to go for it," Singletary said. "I learned that fairly quickly. Mike is an aggressive guy, and you love him for that. But I knew, and Mike knew that we're going to kick the field goal."

--Singletary said he did not get as emotional with Vernon Davis after his penalty on Monday because Davis' apologetic response when he saw Singletary coming at him on the sideline.

--The 49ers got strong play from the young wideouts. Jason Hill and Josh Morgan were the team's top receivers. Even Dominique Zeigler made a clutch catch late in the game. Singletary said those guys took advantage of their opportunities.

--However, there is some concern about Morgan's groin issue. It might be an issue this week for this week's game against the Rams.

--I pointed out to Singletary that he's probably experienced more in three weeks as head coach than a lot of coaches experience in three years. How has that affect him and help him?

"It is very exciting, very exhilarating to be in the middle of that," Singletary said. "At the same time, it's frustrating, but it's what I need. I don't want what I want. I want what I need. That's what I need. My goal is to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. I need all the help I can get. I need all the fire I can get. And I'm getting it."

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #339
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Martz's turn: He takes blame for pre-spike confusion

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz took a brief break from his game-planning to face the Rams this week to explain what happened in the final hectic minute.

He discussed the confusion in the final minute and how he really didn't learn what had actually occurred until he spoke on the phone this morning with former 49ers coach Mike Nolan.

"There was a lot of confusion there at the time. The other thing that I wish had happened," Martz said, "is that officials always come over and explain to you what's going to happen based on what they saw on the replay. And for whatever reason they neglected to do that. That's a courtesy that's always afforded. Why they didn't do that, I don't know.

"We did not know the ball was going to be on the 3 1/2 (actually, the 2 1/2) or obviously we never would've called that play. We thought we were going to be given back time on the clock, and somewhere around the 1-yard line. The play gained two yards, so it's a moot point whether it was the the 1 or 1 1/2. He would've scored."

Q: Why did you think it was at the half-yard line? (The ball was spotted after Frank Gore's run at the 1 1/2.)

Martz: That's what I could see out there. From where I was standing . . . then they walked it off at the last second and said it's going to start at the official's whistle. I thought the quarterback did a great job because the back (Gore) was supposed to motion out on the play. And he wouldn't have had time to motion out. He told him just to go ahead and line up out there.

"If they'd moved it back to the 10-yard line, we wouldn't have had time to change the play. It wouldn't have mattered. We had to run that play. So I thought that was unfortunate. We were trying to spike the ball. Had we been allowed to spike the ball, none of that would've happened. The clock was stopped and we could've gotten in the personnel we wanted. You can do a play you want."

Q: Why not spike the ball with four seconds left?

Martz: I didn't know it was the 3 1/2 until this morning. I didn't know. I left the stadium thinking we didn't make it from the 1 1/2 or 1 yard line. I couldn't believe we couldn't punch it in from the 1-yard line. I was upset with that. I couldn't see from where I was.

Q: Shouldn't the guys in the booth be feeding you that information?

Martz: "When they spot the ball (and wind the clock) and say, 'You got to spike it, you got to spike it.' There's no headset on. With 15 seconds you can't talk to the quarterback. What are you going to do."

Q: At what point are you watching the film and realize where the ball really was?

Martz: "I got a call from Mike Nolan this morning and he knew exactly what happened. He's the only one smart enough to look at the TV and he knew immediately. He's the only one who really knows football well to know exactly what happened."

Q: What did he say?

Martz: "He said, 'You got victimized by the replay.' Which is basically what happened. Because if we'd been allowed to get that spike . . . Just angry and frustrated with the way that whole thing developed. Nobody really to blame, other than a lack of communication."

Q: Before that when Jason Hill was stopped at the 1-yard line. What happened there?

Martz: "That was chaos that I created on the sideline. I did a bad job there. We were trying to spike it and I called a personnel change. And the personnel change went in when we were trying to spike it. There was a lot of confusion. I just went too fast with everything and created too much confusion. That's my fault, more than anything else. And then poor Shaun (Hill) is standing there waiting for everybody to get off the field. It was just a bad job of coaching on my part. I knew what we wanted to do. I called out two different things at the same time and it all happened at the same time.

"I wanted to spike it and (then) get the personnel group in." (The 49ers were trying to get their "tank" group on the field, which they use in goal-line situations.)

"I was excited. I knew we were going to score. I wanted to get the personnel group in quickly and we got this thing rolling. I screwed it up, basically."

Q: Were you impressed with how Shaun Hill calmed things down?

Martz: "I love his demeanor in the game. I don't like his mistakes. The one interception was just a very poor decision. The other interception he got fooled a little by the receiver. He was going one way and when he threw it, he took off going another way."

The underhand shovel pass that was intercepted was Gore's fault, Martz said. Gore broke a rule that Martz has when a quarterback is scrambling. Gore should have continued to run the direction he was going instead of going upfield.

Q: After the replay review, why did you think you'd get 12 seconds put back on the clock instead of :04?

Martz: "That's what we were told over the headset from upstairs. We have some experts up there who are affiliated with that. And not to go any further about it, (we were told) you should be getting 12 seconds back on the clock and we didn't get. Why we thought that, I don't know."

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #340
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Morgan is out of action

Rookie receiver Josh Morgan has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Rams with a groin strain.

Morgan, who has emerged as the starter at split end, sustained the injury Monday night but continued to play. He caught four passes for 54 yards, including a picturesque touchdown.

Receiver Arnaz Battle (foot) and safety Dashon Goldson (knee) have also been ruled out of action.

Running back Frank Gore (neck), tight end Delanie Walker (shoulder) and tackle Barry Sims (ankle) did not practice today, but each is expected to be available for Sunday's game.

With Morgan and Battle out of action, first-year player Dominique Zeigler is expected to get additional playing time. In his NFL debut, Zeigler caught one pass for 22 yards. Zeigler is now the No. 2 at split end, as well as the slot. Zeigler will get on the field when the 49ers go with four wides.

[pic - click to view]

Singletary says he's thankful to be working with Martz

There were a couple of instances from Monday's game that got people talking about Mike Singletary's rapport with offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

When Singletary elected to kick a field goal midway through the third quarter, passing up a fourth-and-1 situation, it appeared as if he did it against Martz's wishes. Singletary and Martz appeared to have some words for each other.

Then, many thought Singletary hung Martz out to dry for that final-play call of a Michael Robinson fullback dive with his post-game comments.

Today, I asked Singletary about his relationship with Martz.

"I'm going to be very honest with you," Singletary said. "It is amazing, I guess they can read lips or something like that. I don't know what they saw. The only thing I said to Mike Martz . . . well, I said a few things. But it was never an issue about a call. There was only one time I said, 'Mike.' He said, 'I know it. We're going to run. We're going to run.' That was it. He knew it. He read my mind. But that's it.

"I'm very, very thankful to be working with Mike Martz and I have a great relationship with him. And I don't want to make it seem like we're best of friends. It's a professional relationship. But even so, I've had the opportunity to sit down with him many nights and just talk. Just talk about our guys; talk about where we are; talk about the possibilities; kind of dream together. We we've got a great relationship, as well as Greg (Manusky)."

Q: After the game, people started dissecting your words when you talked about 'That was Coach Martz's call' on the final play. How should your words be interpreted?

Singletary: In all honesty, it's amazing to me how people . . . I don't know if there is a dialect or a particular language that's out there where you can say something and not have people interpret it a different way."

This note comes courtesy of ESPN's Kim Jessup:

The 49ers' game Monday night against the Cardinals earned a 8.9 rating, representing 8,683,000 homes (11,870,000 P2+), making ESPN the No. 1 network for the night (broadcast or cable) among all key male and adult demos.

The game ranks as the fourth highest-rated MNF game this season and the sixth most-viewed household cable audience of 2008.

All 10 weeks, ESPN has won the night among Adults 18-49 and in the key male demos among all networks, broadcast or cable. For the NFL season to date, ESPN's Monday Night Football is averaging a 9.1 rating and 8,914,000 households (12,345,000 P2+), up 7 percent, 9 percent and 13 percent, respectively, from last season through 11 games (8.5; 8,184,000; 10,970,000). For 2008, the 11 MNF telecasts represent eight of cable's 10 biggest audiences of the year. ESPN.com is averaging 76.2 million page views each week, up 39 percent from 2007.

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy