The "Official 2008 San Francisco 49ers Thread"

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
126 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
38 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #261
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,647 | Props total: 42 42
Jennings talks about frustration of latest shoulder injury
Right tackle Jonas Jennings said he is embarrassed.

Jennings is out with a dislocated right shoulder, which popped out in the first half of the 49ers' game Sunday against the Seahawks. He said he doesn't know if he's going to need surgery or how long he'll be out of action.

"Just coming in, I felt had one of my better offseasons, one of my better camps," Jennings said. "And that's what makes it embarrassing. It just takes one play . . . and there it goes.

"It's nothing I have to fly to have surgery for, so I have a chance. It's just to the point of frustration for me. I have to do whatever I can do to play football again. Even if there is a surgery option, I probably wouldn't do it at this point."

Jennings said his right shoulder has dislocated three times since joining the 49ers in 2005. He has undergone two previous surgeries. He has never had a problem with his left shoulder.

"It's all since I've been here," Jennings said. "That's what makes it embarrassing. I know I can't control it. Basically, I haven't been able to do what my plan was to do, coming out to this organization. It hurts knowing that you really could do it.

"I know people get frustrated, but I know nobody could be as frustrated as me. And that's including coaches and fans and anybody, but nobody has to deal with it but me. I'm . . . annoyed by it, too. I don't know what to do, really."

Jennings said he played a couple more plays in Sunday's game after his shoulder popped out. Barry Sims replaced Jennings, whose shoulder was reset into place on the sideline. He did not play in the second half.

Running back Frank Gore said he'll return to practice today after sitting out yesterday's workout (coaches' decision). "I'm fine," Gore said. When asked if he'll be good to go for Sunday's game, Gore answered, "I'm fine. I'll be all right."

Updates on Gore, Spencer and Bruce
Running back Frank Gore returned to practice after missing a day with general soreness. Gore's return is good news for a team that figures to be able to run the ball on Sunday against the Detroit Lions.

After all, in two games, the Lions have surrendered 441 yards rushing yards on 72 attempts (6.1 average) and four touchdowns.

Cornerback Walt Harris also practiced after sitting out a day of work (veteran courtesy).

As reported earlier today, there is a lot fear in the 49ers organization about the extent of cornerback Shawntae Spencer's knee. (Spencer insisted he would be fine and that he is merely day-to-day.)

However, the club is bracing for the worst-case news. When the swelling goes down in Spencer's knee, the full extent of his injury will be discovered. The 49ers remain fearful that Spencer will require season-ending surgery on a torn ACL. Something more definitive should be known this weekend.

Isaac Bruce is a leader the 49ers need
I spoke with Isaac Bruce at the 49ers' lunch break today. He is a serious man with a deep voice and he thinks deeply about what he says. He is the kind of veteran leader the Niners used to have and now crave. He is religious and, before he spoke to me, spent "quiet time" alone. Here is a transcript of our conversation.

Q: What is quiet time?

A: Well, I have to go read my Bible and edify myself and spend time with the Lord.

Q: For how long?

A: Ten, fifteen minutes.

Q: Do you have your passage picked out in advance?

A: I like reading the Book of Proverbs, today being the 18th Proverb.

Q: Could you tell me what it's about?

A: One of my favorites in that passage is Proverbs 18:21 - "death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

Q: What does it mean?

A: It means to me I have a choice between speaking death to my life or I can speak life to my life.

Q: Life to your life is having positive thoughts or saying nice things about people?

A: It's saying what God said in His words. I could pick His words or my own words or someone else's words, but I choose to pick God's words to come out of my mouth.

Q: I've read some of your blog. I'll give you some sayings I saw there. Please explain them to me -- "Watch your thoughts for they become your words."

A: Pretty much the same as Proverbs 18:21. This is a word planet. Everything we see was created by words. God created this Earth and Heaven by words. He uses words to create and he made us in His image.

Q: So words to you are immensely important.

A: Yes, sir.

Q: Are you careful with your words?

A: Yes.

Q: How?

A: I let no corrupt communication proceed out of my mouth.

Q: I'm going to stop you for a moment. I don't know what you mean by corrupt communication.

A: Idle, negative, non-operating.

Q: Like disparaging another person.

A: Or myself.

Q: Would you ever use a curse word?

A: No.

Q: I cut you off a moment ago. Was there more you were going to say about words and how important they are to you?

A: I let no corrupt communication proceed out of my mouth. I am the prophet of my own life and I create my life with the words that I speak. I'm very careful about what I speak and what I say.

Q: Here's another saying from your website: "Watch your character for that becomes your destiny."

A: Well, it's what you do when no one's watching that matters. It's what you do when you are alone. Which is the opposite of charm. Charm is doing what you need to do to get what you want at that moment. You may find a person who switches his voice when he gets on television or switches his voice when he meets someone prominent. But when he meets someone less fortunate his voice may change back. Your character is who you are when no one's looking.

Q: In one of your blogs you talked about a microwave mentality. What is that?

A: Microwave mentality is wanting things yesterday, not willing to put the effort into something, choosing to want it quickly, so you'll cut corners. People want instant gratification instead of putting off the gratification and working.

Q: How does football fit into your important world of words?

A: Well, I explain it this way. Christ said it in Matthew 12:37 - "For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." By applying it to my job, I have the ability to speak positive over my job and my organization and my teammates. I explained it this way to my mother. I said, "Mom, there are times we're playing against a defense that's pretty good and if we go out and have a one-play strike, 80 yards, the defense can come over to the sideline and say, 'You know what, that just happened.' But if we sustain a drive for 13 plays, everything they have in their book they throw at us and we overcome it, and score a touchdown after 13 plays - that's what I would call putting your work in and overcoming adversity and being battle tested.

Q: You run a play, catch a pass. The defensive back hits you and -- I imagine at some point in your career, somebody must have tried to bait you -- and the defensive back curses at you. What do you do?

A: There is conversation and it happened recently in this past game. I have been instructed, mandated, to bless those who curse me. So even when I don't feel like it, my emotions have absolutely nothing to do with it. I've been mandated to do something like in the military. My dad was in the military, Marines. If he's told to be somewhere at 3:00 o'clock he has to be there no matter what. So if some vile language is coming towards me, I bless.

Q: What do you say?

A: I empower you to prosper.

Heres another Isaac Bruce interview from yesterday...

Last edited by iCON216; 09-18-2008 at 07:53 PM..
 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM         #262
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Props to my n*gga Icon on the Rev. Bruce interview & updates.... Damn how'd I know you'd beat me to the punch with the avy ...

Last edited by Myles Away; 09-18-2008 at 09:54 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #263
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 Myles Away said:
Props to my n*gga Icon on the Rev. Bruce interview & updates.... Damn how'd I know you'd beat me to the punch with the avy ...

Updates from Friday
Nolan said he does not know if Shawntae Spencer will be able to play again this season. There is a fear that Spencer sustained a torn ACL against the Seahawks. They haven't be able to get an exact diagnosis because of the swelling in his left knee.

"It does look as good," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "I know I don't have him this week."

When asked if he's heard about whether Spencer will be out for the season, Nolan said, "I haven't been confirmed on anything, no."

Also, CB Donald Strickland practiced Wednesday, Thursday and today, yet he is listed as "questionable" for Sunday's game against the Lions. Nolan said it would be a game-time decision. Strickland said he thinks he'll be able to play.

S Dashon Goldson practiced again and was removed from the injury report. He will play Sunday.

On LB Ahmad Brooks, Nolan said: "He's coming along. He's got to learn the defense. Obviously, he missed the entire training camp. It looks like he has instincts and all that, but when we call something, he's not sure what it is, yet."

This just in: Neither Seattle S Brian Russell nor Goldson was fined for unnecessary hits from last week's game. Nolan was upset that Russell hit J.T. O'Sullivan at the end of a slide. Goldson had a low hit on Seattle WR Logan Payne that resulted in a season-ending knee injury.

ESPN's Mike Sando points out in his NFC West blog that Julian Peterson was fined $7,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct, stemming from his post-sack celebration.
 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM         #264
cfalcon22  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Man, I live on the opposite side of the country and none of the bars here show Niners games. Also, the first two weeks all I have been able to get are audio streams, which btw are better than nothing. But once again FOX isnt broadcasting the game here. So, if anyone knows or will know of a stream on gameday hit me on the pm and let me know, so I can watch. (Damn small town bars):angry12:

Niners fans on the west coast, look out for a fellow fan.
 9 years ago '05        #265
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 cfalcon22 said:
Man, I live on the opposite side of the country and none of the bars here show Niners games. Also, the first two weeks all I have been able to get are audio streams, which btw are better than nothing. But once again FOX isnt broadcasting the game here. So, if anyone knows or will know of a stream on gameday hit me on the pm and let me know, so I can watch. (Damn small town bars):angry12:

I'll be on the lookout...they are getting hard to find since the NFL is really cracking down on streams...

Chance for a rare decisive 49ers victory
Since the 2004 season, the 49ers have played 67 games. They've won 19 games during that time. But here's an amazing fact: The 49ers have won only two games by more than a touchdown.

Can you believe that? Only twice did they have enough breathing room in the closing minutes of the game to feel a little secure with a victory. (For the record, both of those games were in 2006: against the Raiders, 34-20, and at Seattle, 24-14.)

This is one opponent the 49ers should be able to handle without sweating it out to the end. The Lions are not good. They fell behind 21-0 to the Falcons and Packers. Sure, they rallied in those games, but they have been outscored 82-46.

The 49ers need this victory. They need to put the Lions away early. Because after this, things get a lot more difficult.

The team's next six games are: at New Orleans, vs. New England, vs. Philadephia, at N.Y. Giants, vs. a presumably more healthy Seattle team, and then at Arizona.

If the 49ers don't completely cough this one away, it should be a victory -- an easy victory.

Here are the matchups to watch in this game:

Niners CBs vs. Lions WRs: This one just isn't Nate Clements and Walt Harris vs. Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams, though that's a big part of it. Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey are also threats, and the 49ers will be without their No. 3 cornerback, Shawntae Spencer. That means Donald Strickland, coming off a knee injury, will play a huge role (assuming he's fit enough to play). Second-year player Tarell Brown might also see some important action when the Lions go with four wideouts.

DE Parys Haralson vs. RT George Foster: See that above matchup? Things will be a lot simpler if the 49ers are able to apply some heat to QB Jon Kitna. Haralson is probably the 49ers' best pass-rusher. He'll be on the field on third downs. He had two sacks in the opener, and was held in check last week. Foster is not a great pass protector. He was blamed for 11.75 sacks last season, and he's already been tagged with 2.5 sacks this year. Haralson needs to use his speed to get past Foster.

DE/OLB Justin Smith vs. LT Jeff Backus: And the same goes on this side. On first and second downs, Smith will generally be lined up on the right side against Backus. Frankly, Backus was not very good in pass protection last season, averaging nearly a sack yielded per game. He has struggled again this season. Smith can't just save his pass-rush contributions for third downs when he moves to defensive tackle. He has to take advantage of Backus' shortcomings on early downs, too.

NT Aubrayo Franklin vs. C Dominic Raiola: Franklin can do a lot better job of holding the point. He's up against a 295-pound eighth-year player. If Raiola can handle Franklin by himself, that's going to leave one of the Lions' guards available to venture downfield and make blocks on Takeo Spikes or Jeff Ulbrich. This is one matchup to watch throughout this game.

LB Patrick Willis vs. RB Kevin Smith: Willis' tackle numbers are down from a year ago, but that's understandable. The 49ers need him to make more big plays, such as the interception return for a touchdown against the Seahawks. Smith, a rookie from Central Florida, has not taken many big hits, yet. He's carried just 26 times for 88 yards. Willis has to make sure that those numbers remain low. The Lions are going to want to get some yards from Smith, as the 49ers' run defense has been a weak spot in the team's defense.

Pass protection vs. the Lions defensive front: The 49ers struggled with crowd noise and a very aggressive Seahawks front-seven last week. This is a game in which they should be able to keep QB J.T. O'Sullivan clean. It starts with LT Joe Staley vs. RDE Dewayne White, who has recorded the Lions' only two sacks this season. DT Cory Redding is questionable with an ankle injury. If he does not play, that'll be a piece of good news for RG Tony Wragge. The 49ers need to be able to keep the pocket clean for O'Sullivan, and they'll face a lot more difficult tests down the road. No excuses for hits on the QB this week.

FB Zak Keasey vs. LB Ernie Sims: Keasey has done a pretty good job as a blocker in front of Frank Gore. His play will be a key in this one, as he figures to have the chance to meet up with Sims in the hole a few times. Sims is the Lions' leading tackler and is probably their best defensive player. Keasey is generally on the field for about half of the team's offensive snaps, and a large portion of the team's run plays.

Last edited by iCON216; 09-20-2008 at 08:37 PM..
 9 years ago '07        #266
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 cfalcon22 said:

We in the same boat my brother....espnzone or ordering the nfl package is my only option...somebody anybody HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM         #267
cfalcon22  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The fu*ked up part about it is, I don't have an ESPN Zone and when I tried to get the directTV satellite, I was told that the area I live in isn't a good reception or receiving area so it would do me no good to get one. Ain't that a bi*ch!!! Has anybody ever heard of that before?
 9 years ago '05        #268
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 cfalcon22 said:
The fu*ked up part about it is, I don't have an ESPN Zone and when I tried to get the directTV satellite, I was told that the area I live in isn't a good reception or receiving area so it would do me no good to get one. Ain't that a bi*ch!!! Has anybody ever heard of that before?
Check the 1st page on the game thread for a stream...
 9 years ago '06        #269
Riley Freeman 
space
space
$2,172 | Props total: 36 36
whatz up fellaz been away for a minute but im back to check on our ninerz we looking good so far this year
 9 years ago '05        #270
lakersboy03 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,925 | Props total: 643 643
shut down reggie and we should be good....NO wil be tough but lets doooooo it
 9 years ago '05        #271
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
$45,916 | Props total: 10778 10778
I will be in the dome this sunday. Go 9ers!!!

48 - 18 STRK: 3 w in a row WIN PCT: 72% 39 (-2) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 20-14, Rank #101 | Aug 16: 163-114, Rank #57 | Aug 15: 638-305, Rank #25 | Aug 14: 350-224, Rank #32 | Aug 13: 442-331, Rank #18 | Aug 12: 1015-657, Rank #9 | Aug 11: 2019-1239, Rank #4 | Aug 10: 1992-1221, Rank #6 | Aug 09: 767-342, Rank #8 *
 9 years ago '05        #272
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Shockey out at least three weeks

Not only is Lady Luck smiling at the 49ers. She's writing down her phone number. A week after playing a Seattle team that was absolutely decimated at the receiver position, the 49ers will face a Saints team without Marques Colston and Jeremy Shockey. My guy Mike Triplett, who used to write for The Bee but who is now at the Times-Picayune, writes that Shockey will miss three to six weeks with a sports hernia.

I talked to Triplett this morning and he said that receiver David Patten also is iffy and that left tackle Jammal Brown had to leave Sunday's game with a groin injury. All of which means, of course, that the 49ers are catching New Orleans at a particularly tender moment. Without Colston and Patten, Devery Henderson and Lance Moore would be the Saints' top two receivers.

For the 49ers, there were no new injuries since yesterday. Safety Keith Lewis (knee), safety Michael Lewis (elbow), safety Dashon Goldson (shoulder) and linebacker Jeff Ulbrich (ankle) all got nicked. Goldson was the only one who didn't return to the game but none of the injuries is considered long term.

[pic - click to view]

What's this? Ah, another 'Win Monday' for 49ers

It's another Win Monday in 49erland, so the players will not be around today. Coach Mike Nolan will hold his day-after-game press conference, beginning at 12:15. I'll update this blog post to reflect his comments shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, here are a couple articles from today's Press Democrat: "Complete victory for Niners" and "Rossum gets call on fourth down."

Perusing the NFL stats . . . The 49ers rank 11th in total offense (11th rushing, 12th passing). They rank tied for 10th in total defense (20th rushing, seventh passing) . . . Offense ranks sixth in yards per play (6.0), while the defense is seventh in yards per play (4.4) . . . Niners are tied for first in fourth-down efficiency (1 for 1). . . Niners rank 31st in sacks allowed per pass play . . . Niners are tied for 10th in points per game . . . Defensively, Niners are fifth in the league in passing yards per play (5.48). . . J.T. O'Sullivan ranks fourth in the league with a 104.6 passer rating. He's third in the league with an average gain per pass attempt of 9.4 yards. . . .Frank Gore leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 412. . . He is fifth in the NFL with 287 yards rushing and also fifth with 16 first downs. . . Joe Nedney is tied for third in the league with 28 points . . . Andy Lee is 24th in gross punting (42.0) and 29th in the league with a net average of 32.9. . . Allen Rossum is seventh in KO return average (26.5) . . . Parys Haralson is tied for sixth in the league with 3 sacks. . . .Justin Smith and Roderick Green are tied for 17th with 2 sacks.

Mike Nolan just held his weekly press conference. There wasn't a whole lot to nitpick after the 49ers' dominating 31-13 victory over the Lions. Here are some of the topics of interest:

--The coaches were scheduled to spend the majority of today preparing for the Saints, as the players are not around.

--On the team's run defense, Nolan said some of it was tackling, some of it was scheme. He said he does not see the team's run defense as a major, major concern moving forward. Nolan said D.C. Greg Manusky is still learning about his players.

--(This is me, one of the things I noticed in watching the game again is that the 49ers' defensive line was very aggressive. They were getting upfield after Jon Kitna. On many of the Lions' good run plays, Rudi Johnson was able to use that aggressiveness against the 49ers).

Nolan said that, yes, the focus of the 49ers' defense was in shutting down the Lions' receivers and getting after Kitna. But, Nolan said, that does not wash completely as an excuse. After all, they should still be able to combat anything the offense does, while also remaining strong in the area of emphasis.

--Harris and Clements had great games, while probably playing a form of man coverage about two-thirds of the time. Second-year player Tarell Brown also played very well. They weren't alone. Isaac Sopoaga had a very good game, getting some push in pass-rush situations. And Nolan said Aubrayo Franklin played better than he did against the Seahawks. When Nolan told the team after the game that he'd wait to watch the film before handing out a defensive game ball, some of the players started shouting, "Cowboy!" That's what they call Justin Smith. He had a very strong game with one sack, one interception and a lot of other plays for the 49ers. Smith missed only one snap, and that was a special-teams play he was supposed to be on.

--Nolan said he had no update on CB Shawntae Spencer, but it sure sounds as if the team expects him to go on IR with a knee injury. (Nolan didn't say this, but apparently Spencer has very loose ligaments, so it's difficult to tell exactly the extent of his injury.)

--On his dynamic with O.C. Mike Martz, Nolan said he lets Martz run the show with 100 percent autonomy. They talk during the course of the week about the plan for the game. But once the game begins, Martz calls the plays and Nolan doesn't suggest run or pass or anything. Nolan said it was his call to go for it on fourth-and-goal from the 1, and the play call belonged to Martz.

--Allen Rossum is getting action with the offense a little. He also sees scout team action at cornerback. Nolan said he considers him an emergency player on defense. But Martz might have more in store for him offensively this season.

--When Nolan and Frank Gore spoke after the game, Gore told the coach that he doesn't care if he gets the ball on run plays or pass plays, all he cares about is that the team is moving the ball and scoring points.

--The way Roderick Green and Parys Haralson are playing, there is not a role for Tully Banta-Cain. TBC was inactive for the third straight game to open the season.

--Takeo Spikes did not start at SILB, but he played about three-times more than starter Jeff Ulbrich.

--Nolan said the timing might have been off on O'Sullivan's deep ball to Vernon Davis. Davis failed to haul in the over-the-shoulder attempt. But Nolan said if you get your hands on the ball, you should catch it. Early in the game, Davis dropped a pass near the goal line. But the error on that play belonged to JTO. Davis was wide open for a long period of time. But O'Sullivan did not throw to Davis until he was nearly at the sideline. Moreover, he threw the ball behind Davis. O'Sullivan was too intent on getting the ball to Bruce in the end zone. (On the next play, he threw to Bruce for a TD.)

--Alex Smith has committed to remain with the 49ers through this season even though he's on injured reserve: "IR players typically come in and get their treatment and then they go," Nolan said. "Alex and I spoke at length at the time. Obviously, he was going to be on IR. He asked me, 'What can I do? Because I want to be around here for everything.' So Alex goes to all the meetings. He's responsible for being here all day. Once he decides that, he goes through the entire day, just as if he were on the roster, other than he cannot participate in practice. He goes to practices, stands behind the drills and watches.

"He doesn't go on the road with us, and he doesn't go to the hotel the night before, but he does everything leading up to that, other than practice. That's by his own choice, and I think that's a great decision. I know, like I said all along before Alex got hurt, I think Alex has great trust that the system that's in place is one that he can flourish in, and he's excited about that. Because it's disciplined and detailed. It's kind of the way he things. And it gives him a chance to be successful."

Nolan said Smith has not made a decision on whether to have surgery. When asked if he's talked to Smith about his future, Nolan said, "Not past today. The fact that he wants to work is where we left it. That's a very positive note from his standpoint of wanting to be a real good player, and possibility of being here. Obviously, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by iCON216; 09-23-2008 at 12:31 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #273
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Niners CBs Harris, Clements basking in big effort

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP)—Nate Clements often speaks in flat tones and flatter cliches, so his bold proclamation was almost lost in the San Francisco 49ers’ buzzing locker room scene after Sunday’s win over Detroit.

“I feel I’m the best corner in this league, and I’ll test my skills against anybody,” Clements said.

San Francisco’s $80 million cornerback had ample reason to feel good about himself after nearly removing Calvin Johnson from the Lions’ game plan. Clements’ confidence in both his own abilities and the rest of the Niners’ improved defensive secondary is just another reason to think his long-struggling club finally could be in for an interesting year.

With Clements and fellow cornerback Walt Harris dominating their one-on-one matchups with two of the NFL’s most talented receivers, the Niners’ 31-13 win pushed them to 2-1 for the second straight season. From the cornerbacks’ play to the offense’s consistent effort, nearly everything about San Francisco looks much better than last season, when a shaky club immediately lost eight straight games after those early wins.

“We did a great job on the back end, and we frustrated them into things they didn’t want to do,” Harris said. “We’re not getting too c*cky about what we can do, but we know this is a good start for both sides of the ball.”

Despite giving up 5 inches and at least 30 pounds, Clements emphatically locked down Johnson, the rangy second-year pro who managed just four catches— all in the second half, after the Lions trailed big. Harris was equally effective against Roy Williams, who had just two catches for 18 yards and committed an offensive pass-interference penalty to prevent Harris from making a sure interception.

“He said, ‘I knew you were going to get it, so I had to shove you,”’ Harris recalled with a grin. “That’s what you love to hear as a corner.”

Clements and Harris are in their second season together on opposite sides of the 49ers’ defense. Though neither player is a vocal locker-room leader, the smooth veterans have complemented young linebacker Patrick Willis and do-it-all defensive lineman Justin Smith perfectly so far, holding Detroit to 240 yards— just 67 in the first half.

Clements became one of the NFL’s highest-paid defensive back last year when he agreed to an eight-year contract to leave the Buffalo Bills. Harris joined the 49ers with considerably less fanfare in 2006 after Washington waived him, but he earned a Pro Bowl trip that season and has been quietly consistent ever since.

San Francisco coach Mike Nolan raised some eyebrows when he kept 11 defensive backs on his 53-man roster—12, if you count kick return specialist Allen Rossum, who also can play cornerback. The depth paid dividends on Sunday, when second-year pro Tarell Brown stepped in for injured No. 3 cornerback Shawntae Spencer and immediately grabbed his first career interception while stonewalling Mike Furrey, Detroit’s third receiver, who had just two catches for 8 yards.

“When I’m healthy, I think I can help this team in a lot of ways,” said Brown, who injured his knee in last season’s final game.

Nolan kept his defense in various forms of man-to-man coverage for about two-thirds of Sunday’s snaps, and the formula seems to work well when the 49ers can rely on two strong cornerbacks. San Francisco also has generated a decent pass rush from Smith, Parys Haralson and Roderick Green, who took turns harassing Jon Kitna on Sunday.

Clements’ boast seems even more justifiable because San Francisco is off to an unusually outstanding start in pass defense. The Niners are seventh overall in the league despite facing three veteran quarterbacks: Arizona’s Kurt Warner, Seattle’s Matt Hasselbeck and Kitna.

“The secondary did a great job,” Nolan said. “There’s things that went well on defense, and there’s things we can work on. It’s too early in the season to say something is ahead of schedule, or where you’d like it to stay.”

[pic - click to view]

Starting to prefer using the egg for quoting since its easier to read longer articles IMO...

Last edited by iCON216; 09-23-2008 at 12:32 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #274
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Spencer diagnosis: torn ACL

It's official: Shawntae Spencer tore an ACL in Seattle. He will have surgery tomorrow and will be placed on injured reserve at a later date. The team made the announcement today although it's been known for a week -- or at least strongly suspected -- that he had torn an ACL. The 49ers have been a bit squirrely as far as injury news this year. Heck, we haven't even gotten an official diagnosis from the team yet about Alex Smith.

Spencer is a good cover cornerback and has been either the team's No. 2 or No. 3 cornerback since midway through his rookie season in 2004. In recent years, however, he has been hobbled by injuries, and with his slight frame -- 6-1, 190 pounds -- durability is his main issue. No team can be considered lucky when its No. 3 cornerback goes down. But if the 49ers can afford injuries to any area of their roster, it's cornerback. With Spencer out Sunday, Tarell Brown filled in marvelously against the Lions. Rookie Reggie Smith also suited up and played special teams against Detroit. Meanwhile, both Donald Strickland and Marcus Hudson can play both cornerback and safety, and Dashon Goldson probably could play cornerback in a pinch ...

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '07        #275
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
This game will tell us a lot about our defense....As far as Offense I confident in them especially playing against the saints DB's
 9 years ago '05        #276
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 BxCastro said:
This game will tell us a lot about our defense....As far as Offense I confident in them especially playing against the saints DB's
Pretty fortunate for us that they will possibly be missing 5 starters on offense (3 are already definitely out)...

Note: Niners so far statistically have the best Pass Defense in the NFC...

Pressure is gonna be a key like every week...Even without Shockey & Colston you cant give a top QB like Brees all day to throw...

And obviously containing Reggie Bush in the flats is important...
 9 years ago '07        #277
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
 iCON216 said:
Pretty fortunate for us that they will possibly be missing 5 starters on offense (3 are already definitely out)...

Note: Niners so far statistically have the best Pass Defense in the NFC...

Pressure is gonna be a key like every week...Even without Shockey & Colston you cant give a top QB like Brees all day to throw...

And obviously containing Reggie Bush in the flats is important...
let manny or the beast shadow him...but yeah ur right we need to get pressure Devery Henderson is no slouch neither is Meacham
 9 years ago '08        #278
Jeans&Sneakers 158 heat pts158
space
space
$4,354 | Props total: 1167 1167
Forbes.com: NFL Team Valuations
#30 San Francisco 49ers
San Francisco 49ers are owned by Denise DeBartolo York,
who bought them in 1977
for $13 mil.

Player-costs-to-win ratio 854
Coach Mike Nolan

[pic - click to view]

port: Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams. Market: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size. Stadium: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its stadium. Brand Management: Portion of franchise's value attributable to the management of its brand.
The skinny
The 49ers picked Alex Smith first overall in the 2005 draft and gave him a six-year, $50 million contract, figuring Smith would be their quarterback for many years. Smith has not been the franchise QB the team paid for and it looks like his era might be nearing an end. The team has lost twice as many games as it's won since Smith came aboard and he's riding the bench in favor of a QB that earns less than $500,000. Smith's salary cap number this year is $9.9 million. It is just one more nail in the coffin for this once proud franchise that served as the NFL's model team through the 1980s and '90s, racking up five Super Bowl wins along the way. The Niners desperately need a new stadium if they want to stay relevant. The 49ers have the second lowest revenues in the league thanks to an antiquated stadium with no club seating, and an onerous lease that forces the team to share concession, luxury-suite, and ad signage revenue with the city.

Major corporate sponsors are Visa (nyse: V), Anheuser-Busch (nyse: BUD), Comcast (nasdaq: CMCSA), Samsung, Sharp Business Systems.

Historical Snapshot

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Facility Information

[pic - click to view]

Candlestick Park
Owner: City of San Francisco
Year Opened: 1960
Capacity: 69,743
Cost To Build: $25 mil
Concessionaire: Centerplate
Average Ticket Price: $62

Last edited by Jeans&Sneakers; 09-24-2008 at 01:20 AM..
 09-24-2008, 12:52 PM         #279
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to KeleN_07 again.

This New Orleans game is really big considering how tough our schedule gets right after that. The Niners proved that they're definitely not the worst in league on Sunday, but now they need to prove they're for real. If we can get a win in NO, and somehow find a way to get a win at home against the Pats(which doesn't seem so impossible right now) we can go into the bye at worst 4-4. But I'll just take it one game at a time...
 9 years ago '05        #280
PitneyAssassin1 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,043 | Props total: 93 93
We can definitely go 2-2 in the next 4 games and come out 4-3. The D needs to step it up another notch:clap2:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago