Steph Kegels
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
61 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
120 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #201
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10714 10714
Defense does look good...

Morgan looks like he's gonna be a problem.....

Hopefully Alex wins this competition...
 9 years ago '05        #202
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10714 10714
Good run back by Rossum!!!

That spin off was crazy!!
 9 years ago '05        #203
Sivraj 328 heat pts328
space
space
$45,960 | Props total: 10887 10887
I would like for Alex to win, but at the same time whoever is the best QB gives us the wins then do the damn thing.

48 - 18 STRK: 3 w in a row WIN PCT: 72% 38 (+1) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 20-14, Rank #101 | Aug 16: 163-114, Rank #57 | Aug 15: 638-305, Rank #25 | Aug 14: 350-224, Rank #32 | Aug 13: 442-331, Rank #18 | Aug 12: 1015-657, Rank #9 | Aug 11: 2019-1239, Rank #4 | Aug 10: 1992-1221, Rank #6 | Aug 09: 767-342, Rank #8 *
 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM         #204
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

^^^^ Highlights from last night's game... :dancingcool:

Josh Morgan is that dude...
 08-17-2008, 11:27 AM         #205
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
49ers 34, Packers 6, postscript
The 49ers rolled up 355 yards of total offense. That's more than 100 yards better than their regular-season average of a year ago.

Time to get excited? No. Time to start believing this offense is starting to come around? Perhaps.

Coach Mike Nolan commented that it was a good win against a good football team. But, of course, he said it was important to keep it in perspective. After all, it is the exhibition season.

Mike Martz called the game from the sideline. Last week, he was up in the booth.

"There are so many things I have to talk to the players about it just works out better if I'm down on the sideline," Martz said after the game.

J.T. O'Sullivan threw for 154 yards in the first half while completing 8 of 17 passes. He tossed one touchdown and one interception.

After watching the guy play a couple games, his best is better than Alex Smith and his worst is worse than Smith. He'll make the good play, but he's also made a couple bad decisions that have resulted in turnovers.

O'Sullivan said he was "disgusted" with his play after the first game. After this game, he had this to say, "There's room for improvement. Playing the exact perfect game is a long way away."

As for Smith, he knows that he missed a couple opportunities to hit on big plays. He called his high throw to Jason Hill in the end zone a play that he "can't miss."

It was obviously an emotional week for Smith. He admits that it was difficult to keep his concentration after learning last Sunday that his best friend committed suicide. Smith returned home and was asked to speak at David Edwards' memorial service. He said he didn't know if he'd be able to do it. He did. Tonight he said the service was cathartic and provided some closure to the tragedy.

"I'm pleased with Alex, especially with all the distractions he's faced as of late," Nolan said. "I'm proud of him."

After the game, Nolan said he was not ready to name a starting quarterback for the start of the regular season. He said he needed to go back and watch the game film. He said several times that he was pleased with the performance of all three quarterbacks.

O'Sullivan completed 8 of 17 for 154 yards with one TD, one interception (passer rating of 74.1).

Smith was 5 of 12 for 62 yards (passer rating of 58.3).

Shaun Hill completed 2 of 5 for 21 yards (passer rating of 52.9).

Nolan did not say if he'd name a starter for the 49ers' third exhibition game, which is Thursday at Chicago. He said prior to training camp that he'd like to a starter ready to go for that game.

"If it comes and goes, it comes and goes," Nolan said.

Josh Morgan had another fantastic game. Geez, might he have a chance to win a starting job for the regular season? He's putting himself in solid position.

He showed a little of everything. On a third-and-2 in the second quarter, Morgan caught a 3-yard pass from O'Sullivan to keep a drive going. He showed he has the awareness to get the first down and make that catch in traffic.

Then, he ran a deep route, in which he beat cornerback Jarrett Bush's jam at the line of scrimmage. He hauled in O'Sullivan's pass and then made some nice moves to elude tackle attempts on his way into the end zone for a 59-yard TD play.

The 49ers reported no injuries from the game.

The 49ers did not give up a sack and they recorded six sacks in the game. Tully Banta-Cain recorded two sacks in the fourth quarter. Ray McDonald had 1.5 sacks, while Walter Curry (1), Manny Lawson (.5), Justin Smith (.5) and Roderick Green (.5) joined the fun. I'll check when I get home and re-watch the game, but I'm pretty sure all the 49ers' sacks came off four-man rushes.

9 years ago '05        #206
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,647 | Props total: 42 42
JTO to get third consecutive start
Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan will get his third straight start to open the 49ers' exhibition season, but again coach Mike Nolan stopped short of saying O'Sullivan has won the starting job.

Nolan said O'Sullivan will start Thursday's game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field because it's a short week and he wants to keep the rotation the same. Nolan also said that O'Sullivan has performed well enough to remain in the starting lineup.

O'Sullivan worked with the first team in practice today against the scout team, while Alex Smith took snaps with the second team. Third-string quarterback Shaun Hill ran the scout team against the 49ers' No. 1 defense.

All of O'Sullivan's work since Aug. 6 has been with the 49ers' first team -- a time that has included 11 practices and two exhibition games.

RT Jonas Jennings underwent surgery today on his broken right hand, Nolan said. Jennings will miss Thursday game against the Bears, but might be able to return to action in exhibition finale against the Chargers on Aug. 29.

WRs Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Bryant Johnson (hamstring) and Ashley Lelie (calf), as well as G David Baas (pec), RB Michael Robinson (knee) and S Lewis Baker (thigh) will not play this week. CB Tarell Brown (hip) might be available for Thursday's game, Nolan said.

No. 4 QB Kyle Wright did not practice due to knee swelling. No word on how that injury occurred.

BOTTOM LINE ON THE QB SITUATION: O'Sullivan is getting all the practice reps. On Thursday, he'll get his third start in the exhibition season. At this point, if anybody other than O'Sullivan starts the season-opener against the Cardinals on Sept. 7, it'll be a disservice to that player and the rest of the team. The number of reps in the offseason and through the first week of training camp are irrelevant. O'Sullivan is getting groomed to lead this team for the start of the regular season.
 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM         #207
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn, I just got my tickets for opening day. I didn't know O'Sullivan would be starting when I bought em'....
 9 years ago '06        #208
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,283 | Props total: 2191 2191
 Myles Away said:
Damn, I just got my tickets for opening day. I didn't know O'Sullivan would be starting when I bought em'....
:sad5:
 08-20-2008, 01:15 AM         #209
silky_johnson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Myles Away said:
are they seriously for real with this o'sullivan sh*t?

:angry16: Nolan
 08-20-2008, 01:37 AM         #210
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 silky_johnson said:
are they seriously for real with this o'sullivan sh*t?

:angry16: Nolan
Well if they don't start him on opening day, this coaching staff has been wasting every bodies time....
 08-21-2008, 01:06 AM         #211
silky_johnson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
omg i dont know wtf's going on with this organization sometimes... well, most of the time

seriously, give the job to Smith already. I would honestly prefer Hill in there, but it's time for the $50 million man to earn his money or play his way out of the starting lineup. The sooner we find out what's up with Smith, the sooner we can figure out the QB position and move on.:rant:
 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM         #212
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm gonna be as optimistic about this season as I can be. I know its just pre-season, but they are looking pretty solid right now in the first half....
 9 years ago '05        #213
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,647 | Props total: 42 42
^^^ Yeah the offense is looking pretty good..

But WTF happened to the Special Teams coverage...its been a problem each game so far...
 9 years ago '07        #214
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
I'm feelin the new thread...J.T. "The Journeyman" O'Sullivan is starting to grow on me...got a good feel for the game but it is PRE-SEASON
 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM         #215
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BxCastro said:
I'm feelin the new thread...J.T. "The Journeyman" O'Sullivan is starting to grow on me...got a good feel for the game but it is PRE-SEASON

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BxCastro again.

:blahblah:
 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM         #216
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iCON216 said:
^^^ Yeah the offense is looking pretty good..

But WTF happened to the Special Teams coverage...its been a problem each game so far...
Yeah I feel you man, the Bears would only have 10 points if they didn't f-up those two kr's(not to mention a blocked FG and punt. :angry12: ) But in all honestly the thing that bugs me the most about this game is without a doubt, Alex Smith....... He is AGAIN, still under-throwing his receivers. He's still making bad reads, and he didn't impress me at all tonight. The kid may have had 4 o-coordinators in 4 years, but he's STILL making the same mistakes he's been making since he's been here. Overall, I wanted him to win this competition but if he's not going to convince anybody tonight that he deserves to start over JT, then he damn sure ain't got no more excuses left. And with the cap space we've thrown at him so far, it makes it even more frustrating knowing we're gonna have the most overpaid backup in the NFL this year. :banghead: Other than that Gore, VD, Bruce, and the whole O-Line was very impressive tonight. Rossum looks solid, and if we can get consistant play outta our QB position, we could be pretty damn competitive in our division this year... :dancingcool:

Last edited by Myles Away; 08-21-2008 at 09:51 PM..
 9 years ago '07        #217
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Myles Away said:
Yeah I feel you man, the Bears would only have 10 points if they didn't f-up those two kr's(not to mention a blocked FG and punt. :angry12: ) But in all honestly the thing that bugs me the most about this game is without a doubt, Alex Smith....... He is AGAIN, still under-throwing his receivers. He's still making bad reads, and he didn't impress me at all tonight. The kid may have had 4 o-coordinators in 4 years, but he's STILL making the same mistakes he's been making since he's been here. Overall, I wanted him to win this competition but if he's not going to convince anybody tonight that he deserves to start over JT, then he damn sure ain't got no more excuses left. And with the cap space we've thrown at him so far, it makes it even more frustrating knowing we're gonna have the most overpaid backup in the NFL this year. :banghead: Other than that Gore, VD, Bruce, and the whole O-Line was very impressive tonight. Rossum looks like solid, and if we can get consist play outta our QB postion this year we could be pretty damn competitive in our division this year... :dancingcool:
I think its time to move on...Alex doesnt have the arm strength or accuracy on the run to make the big throw in the nfl....but they better get the special teams situation under control cant give teams crazy starting positions....O-Line impressive indeed...but the D-Line wheres the pressure
 08-21-2008, 10:47 PM         #218
silky_johnson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
alright, even though I didnt watch the game, I've heard nothing but good things about JTO... I never really liked Alex (as a player) so fu*k it... i feel better with anybody, be it JTO or Hill, behind center than Smith.
 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM         #219
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
O'Sullivan states case to start

(08-21) 20:37 PDT Chicago (AP) --

J.T. O'Sullivan made a perfect case to start. And Alex Smith's counter-argument didn't measure up.

O'Sullivan threw for 126 yards and a touchdown in his limited time while Smith struggled, and the San Francisco 49ers beat the Chicago Bears 37-30 on Thursday night.

Although the third preseason game usually is a dress rehearsal for the opener, coach Mike Nolan would not select O'Sullivan as the starter this week. This game might convince him.

After two mediocre outings against Oakland and Green Bay, O'Sullivan couldn't have performed any better against the Bears.

He was 7-for-8 with a perfect 158.3 passer rating in his third preseason start. He led the 49ers (2-1 preseason) to field goals on the first two possessions and a two-play, 77-yard touchdown drive on the third one. He hit Vernon Davis with a 40-yard pass and then scrambled to his right before throwing a 37-yard touchdown pass to Jason Hill to give the Niners a 13-10 lead less than a minute into the second quarter.

That should be enough to beat Smith, who came on early in the second quarter and was 6-for-17 with 83 yards and a touchdown.

He entered the game after Chicago's Garrett Wolfe fumbled the kickoff following Hill's touchdown pass, giving the Niners possession on the Bears' 16. Moran Norris ran it in from the 1 to make it 20-10.

Smith also led the Niners on a 62-yard drive that ended with a 12-yard touchdown pass to Dominique Zeigler, giving the 49ers a 27-20 lead with 9:28 left in the third quarter. Otherwise, it was a rough night for him.

Shaun Hill replaced him late in the third quarter and was 6-for-7 with 60 yards against the Bears' reserves. But after Thursday's game, the starting job appears to be O'Sullivan's.

The Bears' quarterback drama ended Monday when coach Lovie Smith selected Kyle Orton the starter over Rex Grossman. And Orton backed it up with a strong showing.

Orton was 10-for-17 with 147 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions for Chicago (0-3). He had four passes of 18 yards or more, including a 55-yarder to Mark Bradley — a big improvement over the first two preseason games, when his longest completion was 17 yards.

He and Grossman had split time with the first team in practices and the first two preseason games, with neither gaining a big statistical advantage. Even so, Smith went with Orton. And Grossman did nothing to prove him wrong, going 1-for-4 with 6 yards.

He entered the game with 9:21 left in the third quarter and got booed less than a minute later, nothing unusual there. A frequent target at Soldier Field, he heard the boos when Keith Lewis broke up a pass to Marty Booker.

Bears running back Kevin Jones carried 3 times for 30 yards in his first preseason appearance. He started by breaking off a 34-yard run on the first play from scrimmage of the third quarter, not a bad entrance for a guy who got derailed by season-ending injuries to his foot and knee the past two years.

Coming off surgery to repair a torn right anterior cruciate ligament, he was initially told he would not be ready until October.

Chicago's Danieal Manning delivered two big kickoff returns — a 60-yarder and 75-yarder in the first quarter — to set up a 21-yard touchdown catch by Davis and a 21-yard field goal by Robbie Gould that made it 10-6.

Notes:@ The Bears held a moment of silence for NFL Players a.ssociation executive director Gene Upshaw, who died of pancreatic cancer on Wednesday. ... The Bears held TE Desmond Clark out of the game with a sprained knee. They were also without DE Mark Anderson (thumb surgery), LB Nick Roach (concussion), long snapper Patrick Mannelly (stinger) and LT Chris Williams (back surgery). ... San Francisco was without WR Bryant Johnson (hamstring), LG Adam Snyder (right ankle), RT Jonas Jennings (broken hand), WR Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and RB DeShaun Foster (death in the family).

Last edited by Myles Away; 08-21-2008 at 10:55 PM..
 08-22-2008, 01:49 AM         #220
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
O'Sullivan makes his best case yet for starting QB

By MATT MAIOCCO
Press Democrat Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 10:05 p.m.

CHICAGO — Quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan did not have to be perfect to win the 49ers’ starting job, but he left nothing to chance.

O’Sullivan pitched a perfect game — at least by the NFL’s statistical standards — to solidify his hold on the 49ers’ starting job over Alex Smith, the No.1 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

The 49ers put together their best offensive performance in an exhibition game in 19 years, as each of their three quarterbacks led touchdown drives Thursday night en route to a 37-30 victory over the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

It was the most points the 49ers have scored in an exhibition game since a 37-7 victory over the Los Angeles Raiders in 1989. The 49ers rolled up 425 yards of total offense against the Bears.

Coach Mike Nolan did not answer the big question after the game. He said he would speak to O’Sullivan, Smith and Shaun Hill before announcing his starting quarterback.

“Naturally, I like to watch the film and talk with the players before an announcement like that is made,” Nolan said. “But I liked what I saw out of all three of them. ... I’d like to do it the right way.”

The quarterback drama has played out the entire offseason. Now, the 49ers have just one exhibition game remaining before the start of the regular season, Sept.7 against the Arizona Cardinals.

Smith and Hill split all of the practice snaps in the first week of training camp. When O’Sullivan was given his chance to compete for the job, he seized the opportunity.

“That’s the big talk,” 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said. “Everybody wants to know who the starting quarterback is. I have no idea. Everybody looks good to me. I’m dying to know who it’s going to be.”

Here’s a hint: It will be the player who had been with seven previous NFL teams before getting his big chance with the 49ers in this preseason. O’Sullivan made another strong case on Thursday.

His only incomplete pass came on a shovel pass that running back Frank Gore dropped. O’Sullivan completed 7 of 8 passes for 126 yards and a touchdown. His passer rating computed to 158.3 — the highest possible rating in the NFL formula.

Meanwhile, Smith, also playing with the first-team offensive line, completed just 6 of 17 passes for 83 yards and a touchdown. Hill connected on 6 of 7 attempts for 60 yards with the reserves.

O’Sullivan capped his evening in grand fashion.

On the 49ers’ first possession of the second quarter, O’Sullivan made a perfect pass along the right sideline to tight end Vernon Davis for 40 yards. He then rolled right and found Jason Hill in the end zone for a 37-yard scoring pass.

That was it: two plays, 77 yards in 46 seconds. And, with that, he seemingly brought the quarterback competition to a conclusion.

The 49ers’ offense played just three series with O’Sullivan. The 49ers scored on each of those drives. The team marched 65 and 69 yards to set up Joe Nedney field goals of 28 and 24 yards.

“We moved the ball and hoped to score touchdowns every time, but felt good about moving the ball and getting first downs and we’ll go from there,” O’Sullivan said. “You never like getting into the red zone and not scoring touchdowns. From that standpoint, I felt like we left points on the field, but I’m glad we won.”

O’Sullivan left the game early in the second quarter with the 49ers holding a 13-10 lead. Although Smith was at the controls on two 49ers’ touchdown drives, he was not nearly as sharp.

“The nice thing I know is that I’m capable of so much more in this system,” Smith said. “I haven’t begun to see where it can go.”

Smith was not nearly as accurate with his passes, but he was still effective. He ran for 10 yards on a third-and-10 to keep a drive alive near midfield. Smith capped the drive with a 12-yard scoring pass to Dominique Zeigler.

Smith played five possessions — all of which with the first-team offensive line (minus three injured starters). Smith’s three possessions ended with touchdown, punt, blocked field goal, touchdown, punt.

The 49ers netted a touchdown and a field goal in four possessions with Hill at quarterback. By that time, the 49ers had turned to their run game. Thomas Clayton rushed for 81 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries.

For more on the 49ers, go to Instant 49ers at 49ers.pressdemocrat.com. You can reach Staff Writer Matt Maiocco at 521-5492 or
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
110 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
41 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
106 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Denzel speaking Realism!
27 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
20 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
144 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
107 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
72 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy