The "Official 2008 San Francisco 49ers Thread"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
69 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
166 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
46 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-09-2008, 12:20 PM         #181
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iCON216 said:
Josh Morgan made some nice catches and looked smooth...Battle was solid also...also keep in mind Bryant Johnson & Bruce did not play at all, Frank Gore only played a couple plays...yeah the offense did not look good...Sully made some good and some bad plays...Smith didnt standout but the pass protection was pathetic for him (but it was poor overall)..Hill didnt impress much either...Jason Hill needs to step it up...

One playcall that bugged me was the FG at the end of the 1st half...30 secs left 4th & 1 inside the 5 in a preseason game come on...

Starting Defense was solid...remember the 1st half TD came from STs...Pass rush and Pass D was pretty good but Run D was a little poor but the Raiders do have a good running crew...but it was the backups that were getting k!lled for the most part...

Only 1 preseason game, the sky is not falling...yet...

IMO Alex has the lead based on Pre-season play...
Yeah I feel you, I posted that right after the game was over so I was pretty heated at the time. I guess what pissed me off the most was not going for it on 4th & 1 @ the 5... Nolan still settling for field goals in a preseason game... But overall I'm not that mad at a preseason game, I just wish we had a more competitive game plan though. Now bragging rights for the "Battle of the Bay" go to the Nation till next year... :frown:
 9 years ago '05        #182
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,647 | Props total: 42 42
 Myles Away said:
Yeah I feel you, I posted that right after the game was over so I was pretty heated at the time. I guess what pissed me off the most was not going for it on 4th & 1 @ the 5... Nolan still settling for field goals in a preseason game... But overall I'm not that mad at a preseason game, I just wish we had a more competitive game plan though. Now bragging rights for the "Battle of the Bay" go to the Nation till next year... :frown:
Only Raider fans take pre-season dead serious...

But that call was ridiculously stupid...its like he didnt want Alex Smith to shine...

Last edited by iCON216; 08-09-2008 at 05:30 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #183
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Niners have renewed interest in signing free-agent LB Spikes
The 49ers have renewed contract talks with veteran free-agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, The Press Democrat learned tonight. Spikes visited Santa Clara in March to meet with team officials and coaches.

The 49ers declined comment this evening about the club's interest in Spikes.

Spikes, 31, a two-time Pro Bowl player, would take over for the 49ers at strong inside linebacker, known as the "ted" position. He would line up alongside Patrick Willis. Jeff Ulbrich is currently atop the depth chart at the "ted" spot.

If the 49ers reach an agreement with Spikes, veteran linebacker Brandon Moore might be most affected. Moore is competing for a roster spot at inside linebacker. He was held without a tackle in the 49ers' 18-6 loss to the Raiders on Friday in the exhibition opener. Moore has gotten off to a slow start in training camp.

Spikes, entering his 11th NFL season, started 14 games for the Eagles last season before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. He was released this offseason after his only year in Philadelphia.

Spikes (6-2, 242) played five seasons with the Bengals, the club that selected him No. 13 overall in the 1998 draft. He made the Pro Bowl two of his four seasons with the Bills before playing for the Eagles last season.

Spikes visited the Lions last month but remains unsigned more than two weeks into the opening of training camps across the NFL.

Manny Lawson - Patrick Willis - Takeo Spikes - Justin Smith

Said this the whole offseason but would be nice to add him to the mix...

Just sign the guy already...

Last edited by iCON216; 08-10-2008 at 01:26 AM..
 08-10-2008, 03:06 AM         #184
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iCON216 said:
Niners have renewed interest in signing free-agent LB Spikes

Manny Lawson - Patrick Willis - Takeo Spikes - Justin Smith

Said this the whole offseason but would be nice to add him to the mix...

Just sign the guy already...

Wideout Morgan looks like good 6th-round catch

Tom FitzGerald, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The first of the 49ers' draft picks to sign this year, wide receiver Josh Morgan also was the first to make a big impression in training camp and the first to do it in a preseason game. From the start he was a good bet to make the 53-man roster. Now he's pushing for playing time at a crowded position.

While he was being interviewed the other day, running back Frank Gore tapped the reporter on the shoulder and a.ssured him the 23-year-old "is going to be a beast."

He's not content to be an average prospect; he wants to excel. He's willing to mix it up with defenders to do it.

"He's got the body (6-foot, 219 pounds), the speed (4.47 in the 40) and the ability to be an NFL receiver," 49ers receivers coach Jerry Sullivan said. "He's got to learn the offense and all the little intricacies that go with it."

Morgan - up against the likes of holdovers Ashley Lelie and Jason Hill and several new faces for backup spots on the roster - looked right at home when the 49ers opened the exhibition season against the Raiders on Friday night. His play - four catches for 68 yards in the first half - was one of the few offensive bright spots for the 49ers.

"He's been outstanding," offensive coordinator Mike Martz said. "We're really pleased with him. We grind him pretty good. I don't think he thinks he's doing that good, but he's done a remarkable job."

Morgan agreed, "I am pretty hard on myself. That's what you've got to do to keep playing. You've got to be your worst critic."

When you look at him on the practice field, you wonder why he lasted until the sixth round. He was the 24th wide receiver taken in a year when none were chosen in the first round. His hometown Washington Redskins picked two other wideouts ahead of him.

Morgan ranked second in Virginia Tech history with 122 career receptions. Still, another Hokies receiver was picked before him, Eddie Royal by the Denver Broncos in the second round.

Morgan is convinced a brush with the law a year ago dropped him a few rounds. Such problems are not uncommon with NFL prospects. The competition, though, is so tight that the slightest blemish, especially in the amorphous category of "character," can be significant.

His arrest on Sept. 24, 2006, on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing justice "definitely cost me a higher pick," he said. "I think I'm as good as, if not better, than the receivers that went ahead of me."

He admits the 2 a.m. incident in downtown Blacksburg, Va., especially as it was first reported, "didn't look good at all." A police officer said Morgan punched the driver's-side window of a passing truck and attempted to open the door. When police tried to arrest him, he resisted and was subdued with pepper spray.

Teammate Chris Ellis also was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing justice. Both players were suspended for a game.

"It was a big misunderstanding," Morgan said last week. "What happened was I was crossing the street coming out of a club. As I was crossing the street, a guy - I guess it was a drunk driver - almost hit me with his truck. I had to jump out of the way. ... It escalated from there."

In court, the arresting officer spoke on the players' behalf. As a result, the judge didn't order jail time, but both players were ordered to do community service, take anger-management counseling and spend a year on probation.

"I think I'm a pretty good judge of character," Sullivan said. "If I left town for six months, I'd let him move into my house and wouldn't worry about one thing."

Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer told The Chronicle he'd vouch for Morgan, too. "He's a great kid and a terrific player," he said.

Morgan is unfailingly polite, to the point that you marvel at the toughness and resilience it took for him to survive his tough neighborhood in Washington, D.C., where shootings and drug dealings were common. He says he was lucky to have "a great support system" in his extended family.

"I lost a lot of friends to gun violence and things like that," he said. "The summer before my junior year at Virginia Tech, I was home for six weeks, and I lost a friend every week I was home."

There was profound tragedy at his university campus, as well, when a 23-year-old South Korean named Seung-Hui Cho went on a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, k!lling 32 people and wounding many others before committing suicide.

Morgan was in a nearby building in an accounting class. "It was the first time I'd heard gunshots at Virginia Tech," he said. "My first instinct, especially being from D.C., was 'get out of there as quick as you can.' "

He was acquainted with three of the victims. During the ensuing weeks, he said, the football team gave the university community a welcome respite as it tried to recover from the massacre.

"They compared us to what the New Orleans Saints did for Katrina (victims)," he said. "The games gave people a chance to get out and be happy. It was so depressing after the shooting. The whole campus was in shock. Everywhere you went, people were crying."

A year later, his life took a huge turn upward. He was drafted by the team he had rooted for as a kid, to the distress of his father, an ardent Redskins fan. Young Morgan loved watching Jerry Rice catching passes from Steve Young in the 1990s.

"That's what was exciting to me," he said, "every time Jerry Rice went out, he was getting wide open, or making great catches crossing the middle."

Now the youngster is trying to follow the same triumphant path.
Morgan bio

Height: 6-0

Weight: 219

College: Virginia Tech

Friday's game: Caught four passes against the Raiders for 68 yards

College career: Caught 122 passes for 1,817 yards and 16 TDs for the Hokies, including career highs of 46 catches and five TDs as a senior

E-mail Tom FitzGerald at .

This article appeared on page C - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle
 9 years ago '05        #185
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Moore released, Spikes scheduled to arrive
Brandon Moore is out and Takeo Spikes could be in at linebacker with the 49ers.

Moore lost a 49ers starting job with a spotty play during the exhibition season a year ago. This time, he lost his job altogether.

The 49ers have released Moore, coach Mike Nolan announced this morning. Although the 49ers have not reached a contract agreement with Spikes, Nolan said the veteran linebacker is scheduled to arrive in Santa Clara later today for a physical.

Moore was cut in the aftermath of his lackluster performance Friday in the 49ers' 18-6 loss to the Raiders in the opener of the exhibition season.

Spikes, 31, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last sesaon with the Eagles.

Also, the 49ers have placed OT Damane Duckett on IR with a knee injury.

Ive always supported Brandon Moore but he needs to join a 4-3 team...

Last edited by iCON216; 08-11-2008 at 03:33 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #186
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
It's official: Spikes signs one-year deal with 49ers

After nearly five months of flirting, the 49ers and Takeo Spikes have formed a union. The 49ers announced the signing of Spikes to a contract. Spikes will become the starter at the "ted" linebacker position.

Spikes first visited the 49ers in March. He arrived in the Bay Area today and passed a physical. He is expected to be on the practice field tomorrow.

That's all the information for now. I just received the phone call from the 49ers' PR department that the deal is done. I pulled over off the freeway to file this report because I knew if I waited there would be numerous comments screaming at me for slacking.

OK, it's time to resume my commute.

UPDATE (8:09 p.m.): It's a one-year contract for Spikes, and I made it home safely. Also, I should note that I did not actually pull over on the freeway, I took the closest off-ramp, fired up the computer and posted the item while parked in a residential Pleasanton neighborhood.

Last edited by iCON216; 08-11-2008 at 03:35 AM..
 08-11-2008, 03:39 AM         #187
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
:applause:
 9 years ago '05        #188
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
Defense has one heck of a day at practice
Linebacker Takeo Spikes made his 49ers practice debut this morning, and the entire 49ers' defensive unit put on quite a show.

During the 11-on-11 sessions, the defense recorded five interceptions. Spikes thwarted a designed end around when he got into the backfield to prevent quarterback Alex Smith, who was running with the second team, from handing off to Cam Colvin.

Man, what an exceptional morning practice -- for the defense.

At one point, coach Mike Nolan stopped practice and gathered his entire team. His message, "Defense, great job!"

OK, OK, so maybe the message he wanted to get across wasn't that the defense was so good. Nolan went on to lambaste the offense for not executing plays properly and leaving touchdowns on the field.

J.T. O'Sullivan again ran with the first-team offense. During the team sessions, he completed 10 of 18 passes with two interceptions (Mark Roman and Keith Lewis), while Alex Smith completed 8 of 14 with three interceptions (Nate Clements, Tarell Brown and Louis Holmes).

That's right, DE/OLB Louis Holmes! He intercepted a shovel pass on the play of the morning practice.

Yes, it was a ragged practice for the offense . . . but, man, that defense looked good.

"In training camp, the defense is always ahead of the offense," Nolan said. "That's what you saw a little."

Spikes said he liked the competiveness he saw on the practice field today from his defensive teammates. He said it's not like that everywhere. The 49ers' secondary works hard in practice.

Spikes negotiated No. 51 from Dontarrious Thomas, a fellow former Auburn standout. No price was worked out, but the directive is for Spikes to do something "creative" to compensate Thomas.

Spikes worked with the second team today in practice. He said it shouldn't take him too long to learn the defense. He was in a similar scheme his first four seasons with the Bengals under defensive coordinator d*ck LeBeau, he said.

He was at a carnival with his 5-year old daughter, Jakai, in Atlanta on Saturday when he got the call from his agent that the deal with the 49ers was done. He didn't want to disappoint her, so he remained at the park for the remainder of the day before explaining to her that evening that he'd be playing for the 49ers.

Spikes said the defense is obviously designed for Patrick Willis at the "mike" to make a lot of plays, but he said he'll have an opportunity to make plays from the "ted" spot, too. His advice to his defensive teammates: "Meet me at the ball," he said.

Jeff Ulbrich was diplomatic about his reaction to Spikes' arrival with the team. He did not seem to pleased to hear that the 49ers might be concerned about his ability to remain healthy at the strong inside position. "I haven't missed a practice in three years," Ulbrich said. He has played all 16 games in three of the past four seasons. In 2005, his season ended after five games with a torn biceps muscle.

"(Spikes) is a great football player and a great addition to this team," Ulbrich said. "He'll push me and I'll push him. If my role changes from defense to special teams, I'll embrace that. (Special teams coordinator) Al (Everest) is one of the funnest guys in the world to play for."

Oh, by the way, Nolan said Smith would not run with the first team during the afternoon practice, either. Shaun Hill has not taken a practice snap since Wednesday, Aug. 6.

Nolan said nothing should be read into the fact that O'Sullivan has been working almost exclusively with the first team, while Smith has been working exclusively with the second team, and Hill has been working exclusively with no team.

The 49ers have five practices remaining during training camp. In training camp, the 49ers' offense runs plays against the 49ers' defense. It's generally first team vs. first team and second team vs. second team. As they get closer to the season, the offense and defense start working against scout teams. So the offense will practice against a defense that is running schemes designed to look like the upcoming opponent.

The WR corps is nowhere near full strength. Isaac Bruce sat out the morning practice but will return this afternoon. Arnaz Battle will rest in the afternoon. Bryant Johnson (hamstring), Ashley Lelie (calf) and Jason Hill (groin) are still out of the lineup. Moreover, Dominique Zeigler has repeatedly gotten sick on the practice field the past two days. He has still practiced, though.

O'Sullivan continues to get most the practice time
Since J.T. O'Sullivan was elevated into the quarterback competition on Wednesday, July 30, the 49ers have held 13 practices at full speed. Here is how much each quarterback has worked with the different units:

July 30 (a.m.) - Hill first team for two of three 11-on-11 sessions; O'Sullivan replaces Hill for final session with first team; Smith second team.

July 30 (p.m.) - Smith first team; O'Sullvan second team; Hill DNP.

July 31 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 1 (a .m.) - Hill first team; O'Sullivan second team; Smith DNP.

Aug. 1 (p.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Hill second team; Smith DNP.

Aug. 2 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill third team.

Aug. 3 - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

Aug. 4 vs. Raiders (a.m.) - All three share snaps.

Aug. 4 vs. Raiders (p.m.) - All three share snaps.

Aug. 5 -- No practice.

Aug. 6 (a.m.) - O'Sullivan and Hill rotate with first and second teams; Smith works with second team.

Aug. 6 (p.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Hill and Smith share time with second team.

Aug. 7 -- Walk-through practice.

Aug. 8 game vs. Raiders - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill third team.

Aug. 9 -- Day off.

Aug. 10 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 11 (a.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

So first-team reps in practice since July 30 have been divided as such:

O'Sullivan: 7.5

Hill: 2.83

Smith: 2.67

Question: Didn't see Shaun out there with the second unit. Is he still in the mix?

Coach Mike Nolan: "Yes. I wouldn't read anything into it."

Question: Can we read anything into the fact that O'Sullivan has all the first-team reps since the game?

Nolan: "No."

Question: It doesn't seem like there's any rotating going on . . .

Nolan: "There's going to be a practice this afternoon. There'll be one tomorrow. And we'll see how it goes, OK?"

Question: Why did Shaun Hill not get any snaps?

Nolan: "Because of the rotation we have right now. That's the way it is."

Question: Will Alex go with the first team in the afternoon?

Nolan: "No. No decision has been made (about the starter). I'm confident we have three guys and we're repping them."

Question: Are you concerned with what the offense is going to look like when the season begins?

Nolan: "I'm concerned about every aspect of the football team, to be honest with you. It's important we have a good offense. We have very good structure. But you go through a process to get to where you want to be. We're going through that process. The lack of consistency is what everyone faces. It's a normal thing."

Nolan said he and has staff talk about the quarterback situation every night. Then, he answers numerous questions from the media every day - and will until a starter is named.

"If I seem tired when you guys are asking the questions, it's not just you," Nolan said. "We meet on it a lot. We talk about it a lot. We look at the film. We study it. So if I get a little short, I'm short inside, too."

The fact remains, the 49ers do not have a starting quarterback, and nobody has stepped up to decisively claim the position.

"If you have one guy and you know it, obviously, you give him about two-thirds of the reps and your (No. 2) gets the other ones," Nolan said. "But in our case, we don't (have an established starter), so we're going through the process."
 9 years ago '05        #189
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10707 10707
Im honestly worried about or offense this season :(
 9 years ago '05        #190
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 ChickzNKickz said:
Im honestly worried about or offense this season :(
Every Niner fan is...specifically the passing game...if the offense is at least decent we're in the playoffs...IMO

Last edited by iCON216; 08-12-2008 at 01:18 AM..
 08-12-2008, 01:35 AM         #191
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I personally want to see Alex Smith start. If he can't get it done by week 5 then he loses his job...
 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM         #192
AlCapone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i like this spikes pickup, i always liked his game
 9 years ago '08        #193
Jeans&Sneakers 158 heat pts158
space
space
$4,355 | Props total: 1167 1167
 Myles Away said:
I personally want to see Alex Smith start. If he can't get it done by week 5 then he loses his job...
agree and i think he will start to see if hes gonna be legit, and if not we can get another QB in there while the season is not quite lost around week 4 or 5
 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM         #194
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Day 21: JTO gets start vs. Packers
J.T. O'Sullivan's candidacy for the starting job during the regular season got another boost today when 49ers coach Mike Nolan announced the sixth-year player will start Saturday night's exhibition game against the Packers.

O'Sullivan has appeared to take a commanding lead in the race to win the team's starting job over Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. O'Sullivan also started the 49ers' exhibition opener last week against the Raiders.

O'Sullivan and the starters are scheduled to play the first half (Isaac Bruce and Frank Gore are expected to be removed prior to that). Alex Smith will be the second QB, and Hill will be the third. They'll both see action in the second half, Nolan said.

As you can see, there's a clear pattern developing here. The three-way quarterback competition does not look so much like a competition anymore.

Here is a breakdown of total reps during 11-on-11 since the opening of training camp:

Two-way competition

July 25 (a.m.) - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 25 (p.m.) - Hill first team; Smith second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 26 - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 27 - Hill first team; Smith second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 28 (a.m.) - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 28 (p.m.) - Hill first team; Smith second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

July 29 - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

Three-way competition

July 30 (a.m.) - Hill first team for two of three 11-on-11 sessions; O'Sullivan replaces Hill for final session with first team; Smith second team.

July 30 (p.m.) - Smith first team; O'Sullvan second team; Hill DNP.

July 31 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 1 (a .m.) - Hill first team; O'Sullivan second team; Smith DNP.

Aug. 1 (p.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Hill second team; Smith DNP.

Aug. 2 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill third team.

Aug. 3 - Smith first team; Hill second team; O'Sullivan DNP.

Aug. 4 vs. Raiders (a.m.) - All three share snaps.

Aug. 4 vs. Raiders (p.m.) - All three share snaps.

Aug. 5 -- No practice.

Aug. 6 (a.m.) - O'Sullivan and Hill rotate with first and second teams; Smith works with second team.

Aug. 6 (p.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Hill and Smith share time with second team.

Aug. 7 -- Walk-through practice: O'Sullivan first team; Smith most second-team snaps; Hill limited second-team snaps.

Aug. 8 game vs. Raiders - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill third team.

Aug. 9 -- Day off.

Aug. 10 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 11 (a.m.) - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 11 (p.m.) -- O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 12 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith second team; Hill DNP.

Aug. 13 - O'Sullivan first team; Smith and Hill share second-team reps.

Aug. 14 -- Practice later today.

Total first-team practice reps since beginning of camp (does not include exhibition games):

O'Sullivan 11 (1/2)

Smith 4 (2/3)

Hill 5 (5/6)

First-team reps since July 30 have (does not include exhibition games):

O'Sullivan: 11 (1/2)

Hill: 2 (5/6)

Smith: 2 (2/3)

08-16-2008, 11:59 AM         #195
Myles Away  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Time for the obligatory Smith-Rodgers stuff

If you don't want to read another word in the tired Alex Smith-Aaron Rodgers debate, you're in luck. You can read all about Josh Morgan making the most of his chances, and you can skip the rest of this blog.

But if you're a glutton, you can continue down the Smith-Rodgers path . . .

In case you haven't heard, the 49ers and Packers play this evening in an exhibition game at Candlestick. Rodgers starts for the Packers, while J.T. O'Sullivan gets the starting nod for the 49ers. By the time Smith is on the field in the second half, Rodgers likely will have handed the Packers' offense over to rookie quarterback Brian Brohm.

One of the things that stood out to me in the lead-up to the 2005 draft was something Mike Nolan said in comparing Smith and Rodgers.

He said the 49ers did not want to take the quarterback who would be better in 2005. They wanted to take the quarterback who'd have the better career. As I recall, Nolan even said he thought Rodgers was the most NFL-ready.

What was left unsaid is that he thought Smith would have the better career. That became obvious when the 49ers selected Smith with the No. 1 overall pick.

Nolan did not want anyone to know what the 49ers were going to do with that No. 1 overall pick. He said he wanted to maintain the value of the pick. The 49ers would have listened to any trade offers. None came before the draft.

Heck, even after the 49ers selected Smith No. 1, Nolan went on national television and said they were still open to trading Smith for the right amount. (Welcome to the 49ers, kid . . . by the way, we're already trying to dump you.)

A half-hour later when Nolan met with the local media, he said for the first time that Smith would, in fact, remain with the 49ers.

"But if someone had thrown a lot at us, I'd have made a trade," Nolan told Sports Illustrated. "I know we could have won with Aaron. I liked him."

When asked this week to revisit the 2005 draft, Nolan answered, "You know, it's a long time ago. It was a long time ago. Let's not go there now because it would be a lot of BS."

If the 49ers would have indeed taken Rodgers after trading down, it means that the 49ers had him ranked higher than just about any team in the draft. The Packers ultimately took Rodgers at No. 24.

If the 49ers had passed on Smith at No. 1, Smith would not have lasted past No. 5. The Bucs' Jon Gruden really liked Smith. Also, then-Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan (currently Rams head coach) said he would've wanted his team to take Smith. (The Dolphins ended up taking Ronnie Brown at No. 2.

Although the 49ers had already settled on Smith, they brought in four players for pre-draft visits: Smith, Rodgers, Braylon Edwards and Antrel Rolle. They did not consider three running backs: Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Cedric Benson. The previous regime had just signed Kevan Barlow to a lucrative contract extension, and I'm guessing at that point personnel chief Scot McCloughan probably had a good idea they'd get Frank Gore in the third round.

A lot of people who read this blog thought at the time the 49ers should go after Rodgers. Certainly, a lot of that can be attributed to geography - much the same way many thought the 49ers should select receiver DeSean Jackson in the first round of the most recent draft. (And, who knows, maybe they should have.)

The people who looked at it objectively and still thought the 49ers should select Rodgers No. 1 are in the minority. (One of my friends who follows the draft religiously - and actually saw Smith play in college -- has been adamant through the years that the 49ers took the wrong guy.)

Inside information also worked to Smith's advantage. I've heard talk about how impressively Smith performed during his interviews at the NFL scouting combine. Some teams weren't sure if they were talking to a CEO or a QB.

Three years later, I've come to one conclusion: Whomever the 49ers chose with the No. 1 pick was going to have a difficult time.

Rodgers would have had many of the same struggles as Smith for the same reasons. If the 49ers had taken Edwards with the No. 1 overall pick, how could he have succeeded? Who would've been throwing him the ball?

So here we are in Year 4. Smith appears to have lost his handle on the 49ers' starting job and Rodgers is starting for a team that went to the NFC Championship game last season.

The guy who had to wait five hours on draft day to hear his name announced . . . the guy who had to wait through three seasons and an interminable offseason . . . that guy finally gets his chance to play in a system he's been running since college and with a nice supporting cast.

As difficult as it might be to follow Brett Favre in Green Bay, Rodgers is lucky to be in this situation. It could've turned out a lot worse for him.

9 years ago '05        #196
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
For the people that wont get the game on TV...heres a stream...
 9 years ago '06        #197
rag621 
space
space
$8,260 | Props total: 0 0
 iCON216 said:
For the people that wont get the game on TV...heres a stream...
preciate it

I was on that site looking for this game a couple minutes ago.
 9 years ago '05        #198
iCON216 16 heat pts16
space
space
 iCON216 said:
A lot of praise for Josh Morgan, interested to see how he performs in Pre-season...wishful thinking but would be nice if he turned out to be a Marques Colston type steal...
:applause:...This guy seems like the real deal...
 9 years ago '05        #199
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,992 | Props total: 10707 10707
Just getting in from work, watching the game on Myp2p right now....

Tuned in just in time to see Smith in and drive us to a touchdown...
 9 years ago '06        #200
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,283 | Props total: 2191 2191
Defense lookin nice, WRs looking good too. QB battle between Smith and JTO still looks even though JTO looked bad in the 1st quarter he redeemed himself in the 2nd. Alex gotta step up his accuracy
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
100 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
185 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
36 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy