Jan 12 - Down to his last $30 billion -- Bill Gates is finally logging off

most viewed right now
NBA Wildest Game Stats of the Year so far...?
17 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA NBA GMs vote Wolves star Towns best player to build around - Is it still t..
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL Tom Savage concussion makes clear that NFL's protocol has major issues
11 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 01-12-2008, 09:26 AM         #1
6153 pageviews
81 comments

|Tech| 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jan 12 - Down to his last $30 billion -- Bill Gates is finally logging off

Down to his last $30 billion -- Bill Gates is finally logging off...
Tools

* Print Print
* Email Email

Search Search Go
Bookmark & Share

* Digg
* del.icio.us
* Google
* Stumbleupon
* Facebook
* Reddit

What are these?

By Kim Bielenberg
Saturday January 12 2008

He is a man so rich that it has been said that if he saw a $10,000 note lying on the floor, it would not be worth his while to pick it up.

According to this legend, in the seconds it takes to bend over and grab the money, Bill Gates would earn more by simply getting on with his work.

But will this still hold true when the Microsoft tycoon steps down from his management role this summer?

Then the man described as the "Pope of Technology'' will have plenty of time to lean over, as well as indulge his fondness for reading, playing golf and bridge. Not to mention one of his biggest passions, philanthropy.

The computer tycoon, the first or second richest man in the world (some reports suggest he has been overtaken in the past year by the Mexican telephone tycoon Carlos Slim), delivered the keynote address at the world's top technology trade show in Las Vegas for the 11th and final time this week.

When Gates stands down it will be a milestone. The man who made his fortune bringing personal computer technology to the masses is finally logging off, and when he does, computers will in some ways be old hat.

When he started Microsoft -- a compression of microcomputer and software -- 33 years ago, computing was an esoteric occupation, largely confined to a smattering of Geekish nerds, who looked and acted like Gates himself. Now, thanks to the Internet, it is a mass medium that is rapidly superseding television.

As Gates looked forward to retirement from Microsoft this week he pondered with characteristically laboured humour about what he might do in his retirement. At the computer show, he showed a video featuring some of his friends.

Inevitably Bono pops up in the video. He jokingly squashes the ambition of the world's best known businessman to replace the Edge as the guitarist of U2: "Bill we can't replace Edge just because you got a high score on Guitar Hero (a popular computer game)."

In one segment, Bill was shown working out with his new "personal trainer", the actor Matthew McConaughey. And both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama turn him down as a potential running mate in the presidential election.

As well as accumulating what was at one time the biggest fortune in history, it is often forgotten that Gates has also lost billions along the way. When the Microsoft share price plummeted at the start of the decade during the dot com crash, financial observers noted wryly that he was down to his last $50 billion.

Gates did not revel in the title "the world's richest man''. "I wish I wasn't,'' he once said, possibly irking ordinary mortals who play the Lotto every week. "There's nothing good that comes out of that.''

The web site, Bill Gates Net Worth, now estimates his fortune at $28 billion. This means that he could give every person in Dublin city over $40,000 and still have plenty of change.

Partly as a result of the drop in share values, dedicated observers of the Bill Gates fortune now estimate that he has to get by on earnings of $25 million a week.

When he quits the Microsoft office in the summer, Gates will probably not miss the four million emails, which he receives every day. He is the most spammed person in the world.

Ironically, tens of thousands of these emails are spam telling him how he can get rich. Computer filters and his minions have the job of whittling down his mail to just 100 messages a day.

He will now concentrate on the work of his charitable organisation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has already a.ssigned over $28 billion to charity.

Reflecting on four decades in the technology industry, Mr Gates stressed that the future of the company was in good hands, even though the change would be a big adjustment for him.

"It will be the first time since I was 17 that I won't have a full-time Microsoft job," said Gates. "I'm not sure what the last day at work will feel like."

Gates was never the greatest computer innovator. Technological observers have often remarked that his real talent was to knock out rivals through business acumen, ensuring that his products are used in the vast majority of computers across the world.

Time magazine once remarked: "Gates, grown very powerful and great, sits at the centre of the technology world like an immense frog eyeing insect life on the pond surface, now and then consuming a tasty company with one quick dart of the tongue.''

Having accumulated his vast fortune, Gates now seems determined to give it away. His wife says she hopes he will be remembered as much for his philanthropy as his technological feats.

The Gateses now hope to use their wealth to save the lives of poor children, spelling out a principle that may seem strange, coming from a couple whose fortune is as big as the Gross Domestic Product of many small countries:

"All lives -- no matter where they are being led -- have equal value."

- Kim Bielenberg

81 comments for "Jan 12 - Down to his last $30 billion -- Bill Gates is finally logging off"

01-12-2008, 10:00 AM         #2
Ya'll Fags  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
25 mill a week!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
 01-12-2008, 10:24 AM         #3
R_U_Serious  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lmao @ "down to his last 30 billion"
 10 years ago '07        #4
JoeDoe22 50 heat pts50
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 230 230
Damn, this dude is rich beyond rich and gives BILLIONS of it away.
 01-12-2008, 10:37 AM         #5
ATownI20  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn............thats bout all u can say bout that. that mane could buy his own country!!!!!!!
 10 years ago '04        #6
Thepeoplerunnin 
space
space
space
$4,208 | Props total: 0 0
hes gon go home and play the PS3....
 10 years ago '05        #7
sleezy 
space
space
$5,346 | Props total: 1147 1147
sometimes i down to my last 30 dollars
 10 years ago '04        #8
mrmagnifacent42 
space
space
space
$268 | Props total: 0 0
He Gotta Get by Off 25 Million A Week Lmao
 10 years ago '04        #9
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,074 | Props total: 4421 4421
to quote charles barkley

if bill gates woke up with michael jordan money he'd k!ll him self

if michael woke up with barkley money hed have a nervous break down

and if barkley had kenny smith money he'd unretire
 10 years ago '04        #10
Solidus 
space
space
space
$1,559 | Props total: 10 10
 MosDefinition said:
to quote charles barkley

if bill gates woke up with michael jordan money he'd k!ll him self

if michael woke up with barkley money hed have a nervous break down

and if barkley had kenny smith money he'd unretire
 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM         #11
Styl3s  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Thepeoplerunnin said:
hes gon go home and play the PS3....
he would if there were some GAMES to PLAY
 10 years ago '06        #12
kat717 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,538 | Props total: 31 31
Man give me 40K
 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM         #13
stackmatics  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
down to his last 30 bill??...

mayne in college i was down to my last 50 bucks...

10 dollars for weed
2 dollars for dutches

so i was really down to my last 38 bucks.
 10 years ago '07        #14
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,775 | Props total: 14587 14587
 Styl3s said:
he would if there were some GAMES to PLAY
true ... but yea bill gates got so much money its ridiculous
 10 years ago '04        #15
YingYangTwinS 
space
space
$1,523 | Props total: 3 3
all for jim jones NOT ballin

and for BILL GATES whose the real person BALLIN, please come in this thread.

lmao
 10 years ago '04        #16
tommymm96 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,512 | Props total: 6 6
last i heard before this article is that he was worth 58 Billion
 10 years ago '05        #17
Southerrn Fried 
space
space
$675 | Props total: 21 21
yea. i have 30 dollars on me right now.

He's set. fu*kin SET.
 10 years ago '05        #18
TaNk85 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,518 | Props total: 1 1
 tommymm96 said:
last i heard before this article is that he was worth 58 Billion
i think that was almost 10 yrs ago....
 10 years ago '05        #19
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$1,520 | Props total: 709 709
In 1999, Gates's wealth briefly surpassed $100 billion causing him to be referred to in the media as a "centibillionaire". -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

Now thats BALLIN!!!
 10 years ago '06        #20
lazybone06 
space
space
$516 | Props total: 15 15
With his 2 week salary, this M/F can donate 1 Mill. Dollars to every state and it could help people in poverty. All colors.
Home      

most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
49 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
31 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
209 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
82 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
80 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
139 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
236 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
190 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy