Dec 21 - Mafia still alive in NJ. 2.2 Billion gambling ring dismantled

most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
86 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
193 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
79 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
15 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM         #1
6641 pageviews
21 comments

hardest_out88 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dec 21 - Mafia still alive in NJ. 2.2 Billion gambling ring dismantled

this is my town/county. gangsters over here still going hard, and to see Lucchese bosses and capos tied in with Bloods in astonishing.

More articles on this are on
[pic - click to view]

www.dailyrecord.com

[pic - click to view]

http://www.dailyrecord.co .. =2007712200347

Cops: We listened in as mobsters plotted

Security high in court for gambling suspects

BY PEGGY WRIGHT
DAILY RECORD
Thursday, December 20, 2007

1 Comment
Investigators listened in on thousands of phone calls, eavesdropped at diners, posed as bettors and attached electronic tracking devices to cars -- all to nab nearly three dozen suspects they say were part of or profited from a mafia-operated, multibillion-dollar gambling ring.

Eighteen of 32 defendants charged in connection with the state Division of Criminal Justice's "Operation HEAT" probe -- including four Morris County residents -- were brought Wednesday before Superior Court Judge Salem Vincent Ahto in Morristown for reviews of their bails.

With extra security in place, the courtroom was chaotic at times as spectators crowded the room and defense lawyers jockeyed for a chance to speak to their clients for a few moments about their abilities to post bails that ranged from $100,000 to $500,000.

Ahto did not lower any of the bail amounts but agreed that in some cases, defendants could post a combination of cash, bond or property -- provided they could prove the source of the bail funds.

All wearing orange, Morris County jail-issued jumpsuits and winter jackets, the manacled suspects appeared one-by-one before the judge.

Included in the rotation were East Hanover resident Ralph V. Perna, the 61-year-old reputed "capo" or head of the New Jersey branch of the New York-based Lucchese crime family, and alleged gambling agent Martin Taccetta, 56, of East Hanover. Both their bails were maintained at $500,000 by the judge.

Taccetta was the only suspect who specifically wanted his charges read aloud in court -- racketeering, money laundering and promoting gambling -- and he started accusing the state of misconduct in its investigation before deputy Attorney General Mark Eliades fired back that Taccetta was misusing the hearing to grandstand.

"I'm sorry for my outburst. I'm just a little tired of it," Taccetta told the judge.

Parsippany resident James Furfaro Jr., 28, and Florham Park resident Alfonso "Tic" Cataldo, 65, -- charged with the same three offenses as Taccetta and Perna -- had their bails maintained at $350,000. Cataldo is accused of having a supervisory role over several people in the ring. Furfaro, who police said used the code name "Beans," is accused of being a "package holder," or overseeing a group of bettors.

State Attorney General Anne Milgram on Tuesday announced the break-up of a massive gambling ring she said operated for at least 15 months under the thumb of the Lucchese crime family and transacted $2.2 billion in wagers in that period. The investigation also led to the discovery of an alliance between the mafia family and the 9 Trey Gangster subset of the Bloods street gang, she said.

In the course of the gambling probe, investigators learned that Perna's son, Joseph M. Perna, 38, of Wyckoff, and Michael A. Cetta, 41, of Wyckoff, were visiting a particular inmate at East Jersey State Prison.

The prisoner, Edwin B. Spears, 33, claims to be a "five-star general" in 9 Trey Gangster. Milgram said that with the help of Spears' brother and a prison guard, Michael T. Bruinton, 43, of Ringoes, prohibited cell phones, heroin and cocaine were smuggled into the prison, items all paid for by Lucchese crime profits.

Bruinton was arrested Wednesday and is expected to appear today before Ahto in Morristown, along with reputed Lucchese crime bosses Joseph DiNapoli, 72, of Scarsdale, N.Y., and Matthew Madonna, 72, of Seldon, N.Y.

The bosses are charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and racketeering and allegedly received "tribute" payments from the gambling profits from the Pernas, Taccetta and Cetta.

A probable cause affidavit released Wednesday described how investigators followed the Pernas and Taccetta into New York, and eavesdropped on conversations between them and others at diners.

Scores of conversations were intercepted that show how Ralph V. Perna was made "capo" in August, and how his son Joseph Perna reported to the father and ran the day-to-day operations of the gambling ring under which bets were processed through a wire room in Costa Rica.

The affidavit also refers to Joseph Perna scheming with his brother, John G. Perna, 30, of West Caldwell, to injure bettors who were lagging on paying debts to the ring.

Investigators intercepted a call in which Joseph Perna directed his brother to "go and find" a particular debtor and "make an example ... bust his head," the affidavit said.

The affidavit also highlights tensions between the Lucchese members.

Based on another intercepted conversation, investigators believe that Joseph M. Perna was angry in September that Taccetta visited alleged New York crime boss Joseph DiNapoli at a restaurant in Tuckahoe, N.Y. without the knowledge of his father, New Jersey capo Ralph V. Perna, the affidavit said.

21 comments for "Dec 21 - Mafia still alive in NJ. 2.2 Billion gambling ring dismantled"

10 years ago '07        #2
KING*TITO 46 heat pts46
space
space
$6,107 | Props total: 332 332
Fuggedaboutit
 12-21-2007, 02:10 PM         #3
CenterField  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good read. not surprised
 10 years ago '07        #4
CaP 
space
space
space
$1,329 | Props total: 0 0
I'm from Morristown...
 10 years ago '05        #5
I_REP_VA 10 heat pts10
space
space
$7,736 | Props total: 1878 1878
"YOUR MOTHER DIED? fu*k YOU PAY ME!"
 10 years ago '06        #6
Jersey826 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,828 | Props total: 1175 1175
haha i always just laughed when cats would talk about how the mafia don't exsist anymore. And of course the mob would be tied in w/ bloods, they make great fall guys.

Why use your own soldiers when the bloods are more than willing to risk their lives for you.
 12-21-2007, 02:39 PM         #7
TheBookerMan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
North Jersey = MOB

All that sh*t in sopranos is real, even the strip club (bada bing on the show but satin dolls in real life) is super shady.
 12-21-2007, 02:51 PM         #8
hardest_out88  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah CAP, I'm from East Hanover, but if any of you are more interested you can find some more interesting articles on this at the website i put up there, especially the one that talks about a Hollywood executive producer being involved in the scheme as well.
 10 years ago '06        #9
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
Ppl who try to be proud of the crime in their city/state are wanksterrrrrs
 10 years ago '06        #10
3000 1 heat pts
space
space
$395 | Props total: 24 24
Thats crazy cause my mans from bayonne use to tell me bout how his pops use to make mad money off that sh*t...tha mob will never die
 10 years ago '05        #11
moblife313 
space
space
$501 | Props total: 2 2
damn homie
 12-21-2007, 04:09 PM         #12
hardest_out88  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 beantown85 said:
Ppl who try to be proud of the crime in their city/state are wanksterrrrrs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's gambling fu*kboy, shut the fu*k up.
 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM         #13
Thug-Life  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hack N sack
 10 years ago '06        #14
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895
 3000 said:
...tha mob will never die
not as long as all them working stiffs back east keep going to the La Cosa Nostra to gain protection, gamble on illegal sh*t, fu*k strippers and score blow....
 10 years ago '06        #15
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
 hardest_out88 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's gambling fu*kboy, shut the fu*k up.
 hardest_out88 said:
this is my town/county. gangsters over here still going hard, and to see Lucchese bosses and capos tied in with Bloods in astonishing.
:rolleyes: a real internet thugs....loser
 10 years ago '05        #16
BigL4Life 
space
space
$3,962 | Props total: 6 6
the pernas are from my town... im from west caldwell... they be seen around the town n sh*t
 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM         #17
hardest_out88  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 beantown85 said:
:rolleyes: a real internet thugs....loser

internet thug? u on boxden more than me. i am just stating wtf happened in my goddamn town u bi*chass boston f*g**t suck a d*ck and send me hate
 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM         #18
bklynnas9  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the mob owns NJ. newark airport is run by the mob. the mafia is alive and well most def. i need to get into that circle...
 10 years ago '05        #19
pippen33 
space
space
space
$173 | Props total: 0 0
of course its still alive..people go to jail or die and someone else just takes their place..the "law" is just running in place but they make so much money and employ so many people from it that they keep "f!ghting" it..
 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM         #20
LaFazio12  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Mobs will always be around... Long as us Italians are out there knowing making money illegally is lot easier and faster than making it legally. Organized Crime will be around forever. Viva Familia
Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
52 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
87 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
92 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
71 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC Watch Season 10 Teaser
56 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
64 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy