Which Subs are best? Kicker Solo-Baric L7 or Cerwin Vega Stroker?

most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Donald Trump reportedly watches up to 8 hours of TV every day
45 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
151 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
185 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-05-2007, 03:10 AM         #1
10122 pageviews
29 comments

FaceMob 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Which Subs are best? Kicker Solo-Baric L7 or Cerwin Vega Stroker?

Long story short I had my subs stolen out of my car a little over a month ago. I had 2 10" Alpine SWR-1042D subs which were top of the line in the Alpine system but since Im grabbing a new pair Im gonna do it big. Im debating on 2 12" or 10" Kickers (or Cerwin Vegas) or a Single 15" Cerwin Vega joint. I want the sh*t to knock but I want the sound quality to be crisp and clear.

I have read nothing but great reviews for both brands. I have a 01 Lincoln Town Car so I want the best possible setup for the the best sound quality. Audioheads help me out and what ever you suggest tell me what kind of amp I should be investing as well as a box in and what ever else I may need.

Last edited by FaceMob; 12-05-2007 at 03:11 AM..

29 comments for "Which Subs are best? Kicker Solo-Baric L7 or Cerwin Vega Stroker?"

10 years ago '05        #2
kodak314 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,841 | Props total: 144 144
 FaceMob said:
Long story short I had my subs stolen out of my car a little over a month ago. I had 2 10" Alpine SWR-1042D subs which were top of the line in the Alpine system but since Im grabbing a new pair Im gonna do it big. Im debating on 2 12" or 10" Kickers (or Cerwin Vegas) or a Single 15" Cerwin Vega joint. I want the sh*t to knock but I want the sound quality to be crisp and clear.

I have read nothing but great reviews for both brands. I have a 01 Lincoln Town Car so I want the best possible setup for the the best sound quality. Audioheads help me out and what ever you suggest tell me what kind of amp I should be investing as well as a box in and what ever else I may need.
the R's are not the top of the Alpline line

I never heard a C.V., so dont know how the sq is. But the way you described the sound you want sounds like sql. With that sayin, kickers dont have sq imo. If youre lookin for sql ill definitely look into different brands

How much are you tryin to spend?
do you have a front stage?
 12-05-2007, 10:26 AM         #3
dcole18  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
are you talking about the stroker or the stroker pro? there is a very big difference between the two, but both are excellent subs, if it were me i would go with the CV just to be different, they are solid subs and would easily keep up with the L7's in the proper enclosure
 12-05-2007, 11:09 AM         #4
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
as far as i'm aware about the strokers is that they don't have very great sq. i've personally never heard the new ones but i do know kciekr doesn't have very great sq

if your looking for more of an sql setup you might want to look into something different

i've heard awsome things about the new PPI pro line that they reintroduced recently. the ppi pro line was always top notch for sq. i had a poair of the old one and loved them
one
GhosT
 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM         #5
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yall speakin a foreign language with the sql and front stage etc... As far as cost Im not gonna spend more than a G. That may not be alot but you can find just about everything you want brand new on ebay for half the retail price. Suggest some subs and amps.
 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM         #6
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
SQ=sound quality
SPL=sound pressure levels (LOUD)
SQL= good mixture of both, gets loud and sounds good
Front Stage=front speakers.
Rear Stage=rear door or rear deck speakers

he wanted to know if you have good aftermarket components in your front stage

is that $1000 for subs and amp or just subs, either way that should a good budget for some pretty good stuff
one
GhosT

Last edited by GhosT; 12-06-2007 at 10:27 AM..
 12-07-2007, 12:02 PM         #7
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its gonna be for both. I can get a a set of 12's off ebay brand new for about 3-4 hundred and a amp for about 2-3. I may also grab some component speakers as well. Disregard the price right now though and hit me off with some suggestions. Even though my my speakers are after market they arent that great IMO. They put out absolutely no bass. The rear and front deck takes 6x8's and they are running off a amp.
 12-07-2007, 11:52 PM         #8
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
your interiors are nto suppose to produce much bass compared to your subs. all you need for interiors is some descent midbass but you don't need much. thats what subs are for

i'd look into the new PPI pros try find them online. heard damn good things about the new ones and like i said the old ones were awsome
one
GhosT
 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM         #9
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im not dropping 8-1000 for just the subs. Hard to find them for cheaper than retail. You don't have any more recommendations as in more than one? Im tryna weigh my options and cost.
 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM         #10
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well yeah there are other options, i just suggested you searched around for those. ebay has them sometimes

fi Q's or bl's would be something to look into
audiopulse revo and axis (more expensive but could probably get by with one)
focal has some very nice sounding subs
adire audio brahmas
digital designs
sh*t even mtx 9500's aren't to bad
alpine type x's would be a damn good choice as well

all of those models and brand you should be able to find something good within your budget
one
GhosT
 10 years ago '06        #11
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,511 | Props total: 258 258
Can't forget to add Sound Splinter RLP and Stereo Integrity Mag.
 12-08-2007, 05:41 PM         #12
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i knew i forgot something
one
GhosT
 12-12-2007, 02:23 AM         #13
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
More Questions. If I'm getting component speakers should I have them for both the front and rear or none at all?

Also, I'm leaning towards the Alpine Type X subs. Their RMS is 500 watts. Im gonna grab a 2 channel amp. What is the ideal RMS Watts I should be running into each speaker. I'm checking crutchfield and most of the 2 channel joints are hanging around 160-200. What would kind of amp would you suggest for the type X subs?

Lastly what kind of interior components (model specific/front and rear) would you pair with those subs for clear, crisp, loud, hard hitting sound. I already have a amp to run the the interior's. I can use my sony xplode amp I used for my old subs to run em. I also already have a amp that is currently running the interior speakers which I can use if need be so all I will need as far as an amp is one to drive the new subs. Also what is ohms?

Lemme also add I have a aftermarket sony headunit which Ill be upgrading later but thats the least of my worries.

Last edited by FaceMob; 12-12-2007 at 03:09 AM..
 12-12-2007, 03:45 AM         #14
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aiight, what a difference a little reading will make. I understand that I will need a 2 channel 1000 watt amp that runs at 500 rms x 2. I would prefer a class D joint to reserve power going to the car but if something else can be suggested that isnt as expensive Id appreciate it. Keep in mind ebay will be the spot I will grab the majority of this sh*t.
 12-12-2007, 11:40 AM         #15
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
actually your going to need an amp that'll push 2000w rms, those type x's need 1000w rms each

and while runnign that amount of power you'll want a class d monoblock amp. it'll be more efficient than running a a/b class (2 ch) amp

and as for your interiors, i'd jsut stick with a very good set of components up front and leave the rear fill either empy or get a descent set of coaxials in the rear powered off the deck

well i can't suggest models since i have no clue what your budget is but i can suggest brands to look into

focal
morel
dynaudio
cdt
rainbow
dls
diamond audio
boston acoustics
polk audio (SR series)
phoenix gold (rsd series)

one
GhosT
 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM         #16
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh and btw, i would never use any sony amp to power any of the brands i mentioned, sony sucks and those brands will not be happy with the amp, they need better power.

now if you can afford them the alpine pdx line are very efficient, but if you have to run 2 pdx1.1000's then your still going to be drawing 160 amp of current just from those, and then if you get a 2 or 4 ch for interiors that'll add an extra 40-60 amps. i know us amps has some pretty efficient amps, so i'd maybe look into a single 2000w rms amp by them
one
GhosT
 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM         #17
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have to check the specs but I already have what I believe to be a 4 channel alpine amp running my current interior speakers.
 12-15-2007, 07:16 PM         #18
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seems like I cant find anything but Monoblock Amps. What would be the difference in getting a Single type X 12 as suppose to 2 10" type X's? If Im not mistaken a monoblock is only good for a single sub, no?

Last edited by FaceMob; 12-15-2007 at 07:17 PM..
 12-16-2007, 10:16 AM         #19
GhosT  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
a mono amp can power 1 or 20, it doesn't matter how many subs are hooked up as long as it's wired in the correct impedence
one
GhosT
 12-16-2007, 05:00 PM         #20
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I guess the real problem is I cant find any 2000 watt 2 channel amps. I found his one but its only a 1 channel joint I believe.

Thanks for the patience with all these questions too Ghost.

Last edited by FaceMob; 12-16-2007 at 05:01 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
269 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
25 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
60 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
63 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
85 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
109 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nobody pulling out of Jesenia Echeverria :noahohno:
56 comments
19 hours ago