Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

most viewed right now
89 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '06        #1
1317 page views
21 comments

Hit Em' Up 64 heat pts64
space
space
space
$6,169 | Props total: 4605 4605
Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

Thoughts on this?

+2   

best
worst
21 comments

2 weeks ago '07        #2
andros06 
space
space
space
$1,213 | Props total: 864 864
Did deadlifts for the first time this year the other day. Missed the sh*t out of doing them and plan to start doing them often again. Most of my body is sore from doing them.... Made me realize how incredible of a movement it is. Imo it's one of the best movements and my favorite lift. I use a hex bar so it's little easier on the form and I feel it's a more natural movement for me.

His statement that you should power clean and hang clean for sports as opposed to deadlifting due to the risk/reward ratio could very well be accurate. Butttt most of us aren't training for professional sports or attempting redicilous amount of weight.

Side note - highly recommend doing deadlifts with no shoes on!!!
+5   

2 weeks ago '06        #3
Hit Em' Up 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
space
Been seeing people deadlift with no shoes. I personally don't think deadlift is an issue unless youre maxing out... Thsts usually when form can break and injuries happen

1 week ago '04        #4
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,413 | Props total: 638 638
I got a herniated disc 3 months into lifting, from doing a set of deadlifts. Def not worth the risk in my opinion. I'm still paying for it today 10 years later and the flare ups in my lower back have kept me from progressing big time.
+7   

1 week ago '05        #5
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$41,786 | Props total: 14212 14212
 Hit Em' Up said
Been seeing people deadlift with no shoes. I personally don't think deadlift is an issue unless youre maxing out... Thsts usually when form can break and injuries happen
because the flatter your feet are the better. thats why you see people do it bare foot or in chuck taylors. same with squatting
+5   

1 week ago '06        #6
Hit Em' Up 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
space
 123456 said
I got a herniated disc 3 months into lifting, from doing a set of deadlifts. Def not worth the risk in my opinion. I'm still paying for it today 10 years later and the flare ups in my lower back have kept me from progressing big time.
I've injured my back powerlifting with deadlifts. All I can say is, back injuries are a mother fu*ker...they will linger around for the longest while and u feel that sh*t all throughout the day

I'm slowly backing off the powerlifting thing, starting to incorporate more of a volume style bodybuilding routine just because I know years from now my body will be feeling all the heavy lifting
+2   

1 week ago '09        #7
Zaosyn 266 heat pts266
space
space
$15,482 | Props total: 4402 4402
Deadlifts are probably the only exercise I ever did that I noticed strength carry over to my day to day life immediately. It's a relatively simple exercise that if done correctly is safe and makes you a hell of a lot stronger very fast.
+6   

1 week ago '15        #8
Tully Blanchard 54 heat pts54
space
space
$12,187 | Props total: 66208 66208
 123456 said
Did you have surgery to fix?

1 week ago '04        #9
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
 Tully Blanchard said
Did you have surgery to fix?
Nah...I've been wanting to do a non-invasive one that's supposed to have a high success rate but I don't have insurance and I def can't afford to pay out of pocket.
+4   

1 week ago '06        #10
realgunta 974 heat pts974
space
space
$28,595 | Props total: 56903 56903
 123456 said
Nah...I've been wanting to do a non-invasive one that's supposed to have a high success rate but I don't have insurance and I def can't afford to pay out of pocket.
hope u get better soon bro

i have a lingering ankle injury that been acting up for a few years now. Seems like NOTHING is working smh

so i feel u mane, i can only imagine how it might be with a back injury.
+3   

1 week ago '04        #11
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
 realgunta said
hope u get better soon bro

i have a lingering ankle injury that been acting up for a few years now. Seems like NOTHING is working smh

so i feel u mane, i can only imagine how it might be with a back injury.
The list of injuries I got are endless and they all have to do with lifting. My body just isnít made for it

So far, Iím dealing with this bullsh*t everyday:

- lower back from deadlifts
- shoulders from my dumbass cousin pushing my elbows and almost snapping them during military press
- ankles, calves, hamstrings - no fu*king clue why Iím hurting here but I canít even jog for more than 10 seconds before my Achilles feels like itís gonna snap
- knees and elbows always hurting - no idea about this either
+3   

1 week ago '06        #12
realgunta 974 heat pts974
space
space
$28,595 | Props total: 56903 56903
 123456 said
The list of injuries I got are endless and they all have to do with lifting. My body just isnít made for it

So far, Iím dealing with this bullsh*t everyday:

- shoulders from my dumbass cousin pushing my elbows and almost snapping them during military press
- ankles, calves, hamstrings - no fu*king clue why Iím hurting here but I canít even jog for more than 10 seconds before my Achilles feels like itís gonna snap
damn, seems like u need to take some time off mane

do some physio, get checked out, try to fix some of those issues.

thats a LOT of injuries, as u get older it could affect u in a major way

1 week ago '14        #13
Aries 101 heat pts101
space
space
$11,928 | Props total: 32959 32959
I love deadlifts and cleans, but i rarely do them anymore because i think the variations work alot better for me.

I like Romanian deadlifts much more than regular and i think snatch grip high pulls are superior to cleans and powers cleans, and are the best exercise most people havent tried

123456 said
 123456 said
The list of injuries I got are endless and they all have to do with lifting. My body just isn’t made for it

So far, I’m dealing with this bullsh*t everyday:

- ankles, calves, hamstrings - no fu*king clue why I’m hurting here but I can’t even jog for more than 10 seconds before my Achilles feels like it’s gonna snap
It's not that your body isn't built for lifting/strength training... it's that you haven't been training intelligently.

You hurt your lower back doing deadlifts? I guarantee your form was bad and you used too much weight.

Military press injury with your cousin? You already know...

Ankles, calves, and hamstrings tight? How often do you work on your lower body mobility and flexibility?

Elbow and knee pain? You need to strengthen and or balance your muscles to take pressure of your joints and tendons...

I've delt with pain in my knees and elbows earlier this year after not training for a while and the cure and pain relief came from slow eccentric squats and curls...

Last edited by Aries; 07-12-2019 at 09:22 PM..

1 week ago '04        #14
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
 Aries said
I love deadlifts and cleans, but i rarely do them anymore because i think the variations work alot better for me.

I like Romanian deadlifts much more than regular and i think snatch grip high pulls are superior to cleans and powers cleans, and are the best exercise most people havent tried

It's not that your body isn't built for lifting/strength training... it's that you haven't been training intelligently.

You hurt your lower back doing deadlifts? I guarantee your form was bad and you used too much weight.

Military press injury with your cousin? You already know...

Ankles, calves, and hamstrings tight? How often do you work on your lower body mobility and flexibility?

Elbow and knee pain? You need to strengthen and or balance your muscles to take pressure of your joints and tendons...

I've delt with pain in my knees and elbows earlier this year after not training for a while and the cure and pain relief came from slow eccentric squats and curls...
Mobility/flexibility/lifting to failure in the 3-6 range are def the main reasons for my issues. I listened to too many people on the bodybuilding.com forums for too long. I learned my lesson there and have adjusted my methods the past year by doing bodybuilding type routines with lighter weights and rarely going to failure. Gained way more noticeable muscle since then since I've been able to increase my volume using the new methods.

The deadlift thing was absolutely bad form. I had my cousin standing there next to me and I told him to let me know if my form was off. I finished my set and THEN he told me my back was rounded. Couldn't walk for 2 fu*king weeks after that, had to sit in a hot tub for 3 days straight (literally slept in the tub through the whole weekend) just to numb the pain a bit and to this day still deal with this sh*t. I don't get enough sleep because it hurts if it I'm in 1 position for longer than an hour.
+1   

1 week ago '09        #15
Zaosyn 266 heat pts266
space
space
$15,482 | Props total: 4402 4402
I've only gotten 2 injuries in almost 10 years of lifting. One was a pinched nerve in my back from doing barbell rows. This was crazy I never felt nothing like that in my life. It was like a shock through my body. For almost the next year I could feel it flare up when I squeezed my back too tight during lifts. I stopped doing barbell rows completely after that.

The second one was about 2 years ago I was doing a lot arm volume and frequency. We're talking 3 set sof 10 on barbell curls then going straight into 5 sets of 10 on incline curls with heavy weight. The weight I was using for the incline curls was a 45lb dumbbell which was too heavy for me to control after 6-7 reps so I would let the dumbbell swing too much to compensate. The jerking from the swing. I did this for almost every day for a week and I developed tendonitis (elbow tennis) in my right arm that was so severe I couldn't turn a door knob without extreme pain. This lasted a year and it took a lot of physical therapy to even get there. I believe the swinging of the heavy weight on the incline curl is what caused a lot of stress on that tendon and is what gave me the tendonitis IMO.

I did a lot of band work after workouts to get blood pumped into that area of my arm and bought a pair of Fat Gripz which really help ease the pain during lifts. Also had some grip strength carry over from the Fat Gripz which was nice.

If you warm up with fat gripz and then remove them for your working sets the barbell feels a lot thinner and your grip is a lot stronger around it which helps produce more power.

Last edited by Zaosyn; 07-13-2019 at 08:16 AM..

1 week ago '17        #16
Silkyfresh 
space
space
space
$272 | Props total: 519 519
I agree. As you get older and more wiser. You need to find risk vs reward. You can still build a big back but you need to do different excercises. Im all for compound lifts. I do dead lifts on a occasion but its not for max lifts.

5 days ago '17        #17
Coffee 53 heat pts53
space
space
space
$4,963 | Props total: 14270 14270
He's right.

Deadlifts for professional sports athletes aren't worth it the risk vs reward.

It's way to easy to get injured. Then, there goes your contract all cause you wanted to do deadlifts.

Nah. I agree with him.

4 days ago '07        #18
J_Duece 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,435 | Props total: 2125 2125
I believe it's all about handling your weight. A strong core and basic understanding of the lift can go a long way. Often we are quick to go up in weight but can get more bang for our buck for banging out alot of reps.
+1   

4 days ago '18        #19
stutteringrap 127 heat pts127
space
space
space
$9,135 | Props total: 11387 11387
 123456 said
yes. that why i do not do it. i am 6'2 137 pounds. so skkiny yo can see my should bone. i would pop my shoulder so fast. lol!

i notice when i do that excerise i hurt myself almost instantly. rather do the pull ups. pull up machine.and excerise equiment. it will tone your body up more too using the excerise machine without the soreness.

3 days ago '07        #20
Captain Fresh 23 heat pts23
space
space
$15,757 | Props total: 18644 18644
I only deadlift maybe once a month but for the most part I do rack pulls and other accessory movements for less stress.

I love deadlifts prolly more than any compound movement but I'm trying to protect myself from myself since I go heavy lol

2 days ago '14        #21
BasedGawd 16 heat pts16
space
space
$2,467 | Props total: 9548 9548
I quit benching nearly 10 years ago. I got my deadlift up to 450lbs last year then quit doing them all together. Everytime I deadlift, I could feel that sh*t in my lower back for days which hampered my workouts.

I may even quit squatting too. When squatting 315 plus lbs, I can feel mad pressure building in my knees. It's like they want to burst.

I refuse to be a gimp.
+1   

2 days ago '16        #22
rootbeer 
space
space
space
$41 | Props total: 77 77
 BasedGawd said
I quit benching nearly 10 years ago. I got my deadlift up to 450lbs last year then quit doing them all together. Everytime I deadlift, I could feel that sh*t in my lower back for days which hampered my workouts.

I may even quit squatting too. When squatting 315 plus lbs, I can feel mad pressure building in my knees. It's like they want to burst.

I refuse to be a gimp.
Bro listen to your body. There are warning signs but we completely ignore them them suffer later. You knees feeling like they are going to explode tells you your body overall can handle the weight but knees can't.

I listen to my body now. If I feel pain, I either stop the exercise, drop the weight, or find another exercise alternative but I no longer push through pain. F*ck living with long term injuries. It's not worth it.
+1   

Home      

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  28
Son, What The F*ck?!
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+38online now  15
Every Console In One Box