Aug 13 - "Coal is over" | Miners turn to Green New Deal

most viewed right now
+24  41
52 comments @wild'ish

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX Daily Bugle

2 weeks ago '18        #1
179 page views
5 comments

Lord God 89 heat pts89
space
space
$5,539 | Props total: 27803 27803
Aug 13 - "Coal is over" | Miners turn to Green New Deal

The coal industry in Appalachia is dying – something that people there know better than anyone. Some in this region are pinning their hopes on alternative solutions, including rising Democratic star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal.

“Coal is over. Forget coal,”
said Jimmy Simpkins, who worked as a coalminer in the area for 29 years. “It can never be back to what it was in our heyday. It can’t happen. That coal is not there to mine.”

A coal production forecast conducted in 2018 by West Virginia University estimates coal production will continue to decline over the next two decades. Over 34,000 coal mining jobs in the US have disappeared over the past decade, leaving around 52,000 jobs remaining in the industry, despite several promises made by Donald Trump throughout his 2016 election campaign that he would bring those jobs back.

“A lot of guys thought they were going to bring back coal jobs, and Trump stuck it to them,” said 69-year-old Bennie Massey, who worked for 30 years as a coalminer in Lynch, Kentucky.

If it was called the Red New Deal, it would be approved by now,” said Sturgill. “What you’re doing with the Green New Deal is you’re opening the door to infringe on the Republicans’ money and that’s what they’re afraid of. Republicans laugh and say you can’t pay for it. But if you tax everybody what they should be taxed, and I’m talking about the wealthy, there wouldn’t be a problem.

Best part:

On 23 July 2019 about 150 coalminers and miners’ widows visited Washington DC to appeal to Congress to pass legislation ensuring these benefits are properly funded. Several retired coalminers who made the trip were unhappy with the response from Republicans, especially the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell.

McConnell came in, never did sit down and said ‘I thank you for being here. I know you’re concerned about your taxes on black lung, I just want you to know we’re going to take care of it,’ and out the door. I said: ‘no he didn’t!’ We drove ten hours to sit with our representatives and talk to them and that’s all we get,” said George Massey, who worked as a coalminer in Benham, Kentucky, for 23 years and has served on the town’s council for 19 years.

“They look at us like we’re something under their shoes. They couldn’t care less about coalminers in south-east Kentucky
,” Massey added.

+3   

best
worst
5 comments

2 weeks ago '18        #2
br82186 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,451 | Props total: 7280 7280
Good, f-ck em, that's what they get for being swindled by a New York con artist.

As for McConnell I hope to God this motivates the people of Kentucky to get that f-ck n-gga out of office, but I said this in another thread.... 'Never underestimate the stupidity of Americans'
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #3
OWPE 109 heat pts109
space
space
$6,691 | Props total: 17257 17257
Is that the same green new deal that got no votes in congress earlier this year?

2 weeks ago '18        #4
Bwonder 
space
space
$39 | Props total: 255 255
What happened to that clean coal tho? I hope and pray that McConnell gets the boot but that’s an uphill struggle. Him and Paul both need the boot.

2 weeks ago '17        #5
Ymmot 22 heat pts22
space
space
space
$13,220 | Props total: 31823 31823
This reminds me of when Rep. James Comer tried to pull AOC's card and invited her to explain the Green New Deal to miners in Kentucky and she said she would love to come; then he immediately withdrew his offer.
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #6
Lord God 89 heat pts89 OP
space
space
$5,539 | Props total: 27803 27803
 Ymmot said
This reminds me of when Rep. James Comer tried to pull AOC's card and invited her to explain the Green New Deal to miners in Kentucky and she said she would love to come; then he immediately withdrew his offer.
My thoughts exactly.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  16
Spider Man back in MCU ?
49 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+55online now  15
Saddest sh1t I’ve seen all week 😥
107 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+34online now  11
Article inside Hilary Duff is set to reprise her role as Lizzie McGuire in a ‘LIZZIE..
58 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+83online now  6
Image(s) inside Eddie Murphy Back In Costume For 'Coming To America 2'
106 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy