Bruce Lee Biographer Fact Checks Tarantino

most viewed right now
+16  110
19 comments @movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The TV/Movie Spot

5 days ago '12        #26
OldBusiness 183 heat pts183
space
space
$31,780 | Props total: 61443 61443
 Jo Blow said
i hear your argument but do you really care or are you just letting an upset female with dead daddy issues ignite an emotion in you, and have you look over everything about the movie like it's a revisionist history piece, or the scene in reference is probably a dream sequence...?

By no means does this tarnish Bruce's legacy, at all. Her speaking out just brings attention to the movie, free publicity really. At the end of the day this outrage will mean nothing.
Resonates with me because I have a dead parent whose name I hold down daily.

But also its not an "argument". Yall are having an issue with someone having an opinion on how their dead parent is portrayed. Its okay for you to have an opinion on how people speak and think of your dead parent lol. Its human
+7   

5 days ago '15        #27
DreamSeller 2 heat pts
space
space
$320 | Props total: 391 391
 Jo Blow said
well first of all, this is QT movies and universe so he can do what ever the f he wants... he changed how Hitler dies and Sharon Tate doesn't die... his universe. what he says goes
No one is ever saying he can’t do what he wants. Clearly he can, since he just did. But if you’re going to double down on historical inaccuracies, people are goin come for you.

I liked the movie, liked it a lot, but Tarantino’s pedophile buddy Polanski came out looking much better than Bruce Lee.
+3   

5 days ago '18        #28
PaintMyPain 
space
space
space
$694 | Props total: 2029 2029
 Soprano ATL said
It's a fu*king satirical, fictional movie...
Everybody gets that sh*t, but also why make an arrogant caricature of a man people love and respect?

If someone made a fictional movie set in a real time frame and lets say they made Huey Newton or Fred Hampson some kind of corrupt figure instead of the heroes they were, I feel like alotta folks wouldn't be singing this song.

Bruce Lee was more than just an actor, he is an Icon and a hero to Alot of people. Why wouldn't people be pissed? As far as I know, no one else was reduced to a obnoxious caricature of themselves.

Alot of folks watched the movie just for what they thought was going to be paying homage to Bruce Lee not mockery.
+4   

5 days ago '04        #29
psylence2k 74 heat pts74 OP
space
space
space
$14,035 | Props total: 4827 4827
You can tell Tarantino is trying to peddle a bunch of BS when he throws the logic out there that Cliff can hang hand to hand with Bruce simply because he was a WWII vet.
+3   

4 days ago '15        #30
Pizza roll 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$540 | Props total: 792 792
Maybe Bruce lee had a larger ego than most and maybe he acted something like that since he was teaching famous actors f*ght choreography and all these famous people probably looked at him with such reverence and put him up on a pedestal. An easy combination to make someone full of themselves. Maybe not as much as is depicted, but who of us here actually know

4 days ago '04        #31
fresno 
space
space
space
$819 | Props total: 173 173
 OldBusiness said
But the outrage didnt start with the fans.

It started with a daughter who didnt appreciate how someone made her dead father look. She didnt appreciate how the father she missed was turned into comic relief for crowds....and from the perspective of race this is how Asians were treated when they tried to get into Hollywood. You would want your kids to have the right to have an opinion on how the world views their father. Thats human

I love Tarantino, but this sh*ts pretty wack. He looks out of touch like the Hollywood hacks he told us he was better than.
I get why the daughter would be upset for personal emotional reasons sure.. Everyone else tho? Nah, not at all and I HIGHLY doubt the vast majority of people outside of his daughter acting outraged are really upset.. Just jumping on the new over reaction of the minute.

In the end though it was a dream sequence that was clearly way over the top and had Cliff making himself look like an action hero which makes much more sense then being historically accurate since this is taking place in a out of work stunt mans head?.. It's sad and ridiculous imo that it's getting the amount of drama it is. Using the whole dead father thing is a low sympathy grabber too.. No reason for it to get that deep.. If you/the daughter/ any other random people on the internet don't like his portrayal thats cool, dont support it but lets not pretend like you or anyone else will even remember this next year let alone in a week or two probably. It's an outlandish take in an alternate movie universe.. No good or bad will come of it.....

4 days ago '16        #32
fam 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,346 | Props total: 3424 3424
 persuazion said
Quentin doesn’t give fu*k. I saw where a reporter asked if Sharon Tate’s family was asked permission or did he reach out to them at all... he was like " Nope.. next question"
he actually did get the Tate family's blessing on the script

they even provided her actual clothes to Margot Robbie
+3   

4 days ago '16        #33
fam 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,346 | Props total: 3424 3424
you have to be a special kind of stupid to think that was a dream sequence too

do yall think every flashback in a movie or show is a fantasy?
+4   

4 days ago '05        #34
Soprano ATL 49 heat pts49
space
space
$11,284 | Props total: 4740 4740
 PaintMyPain said
Everybody gets that sh*t, but also why make an arrogant caricature of a man people love and respect?

If someone made a fictional movie set in a real time frame and lets say they made Huey Newton or Fred Hampson some kind of corrupt figure instead of the heroes they were, I feel like alotta folks wouldn't be singing this song.

Bruce Lee was more than just an actor, he is an Icon and a hero to Alot of people. Why wouldn't people be pissed? As far as I know, no one else was reduced to a obnoxious caricature of themselves.

Alot of folks watched the movie just for what they thought was going to be paying homage to Bruce Lee not mockery.
If you went to this movie because you wanted to enjoy seeing them honor the memory of Bruce lee you are a fu*king idiot. This is not the movie for that.

4 days ago '18        #35
KdenIII 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,948 | Props total: 11212 11212
I'm on the QT side of who gives a fu*k it is a fictional movie

but with that said this movie was still avg as fu*k and one of his worst

4 days ago '15        #36
Hellmatic 3 heat pts
space
space
$22,667 | Props total: 34096 34096
Someone actually said Bruce could beat Ali. The Bruce Lee idolization be getting out of hand

4 days ago '05        #37
precys 100 heat pts100
space
space
$5,807 | Props total: 12620 12620
 BathWaterMelody said
this^

Bruce Lee's portrayal in OUATIH was more of a caricature of Bruce Lee.

I've read his entire book on Jeet Kune Do before. it's translated "the Way of the Intercepting Fist," and from what I understand, 85% percent of it training your body to master fluid counters, stances, parries & feints that intercept an opponent's f*ghting style and render him off-balance.

that whole f*ght scene in OUATIH started with Bruce launching a running flying kick at a non-moving target Cliff Booth.

his daughter Shannon Lee confirmed that was out of his character and I totally agree. it's not Bruce's style at all.

I think QT confused Bruce Lee with Liu Kang. He thinks they all look..... Well, lets just say like "martial artists"

Last edited by precys; 08-13-2019 at 10:15 AM..
+2   

4 days ago '05        #38
precys 100 heat pts100
space
space
$5,807 | Props total: 12620 12620
double
+1   

4 days ago '07        #39
TH35 112 heat pts112
space
space
$94,231 | Props total: 21270 21270
 octane said
People are really in their feeling about imaginary sh*t. First the little mermaid and now this. Also the millions of nerds who collect comics who critique these Comic movies pointing out everything instead of fu*king. If want you to be upset about a man whose legacy is already set in stone and died 46 years ago and iis portrayed in a fictional movie, be my guess.
This. I mean Bruce Lee’s family has a point but it’s a fictional movie.

4 days ago '12        #40
Thworldisyours 69 heat pts69
space
space
$11,178 | Props total: 26866 26866
 Stuart Scott said
Too many inaccuracies in this movie

You can’t even smoke lsd...

Yeah not sure why he put that in the movie.

I mean I dont know much about LSD, but google that sh*t

EDIT : And to all those people that say, "well this is fictional who cares!", what if QT made a movie about Malcolm X or Martin Luther King and had them act like idiots...

Would that be acceptable?

Last edited by Thworldisyours; 08-13-2019 at 11:09 AM..
+2   

4 days ago '17        #41
LeG.O.A.T 150 heat pts150
space
space
$22,035 | Props total: 49764 49764
Man it's a movie fu*k off

4 days ago '17        #42
space
space
 Thworldisyours said

EDIT : And to all those people that say, "well this is fictional who cares!", what if QT made a movie about Malcolm X or Martin Luther King and had them act like idiots...

What if he made a movie where Hitler was shot in the face multiple times or Sharon Tate lived because Leo and Brad Pitt k*lled the bad guys...

Oh wait..

4 days ago '17        #43
space
space
 Soprano ATL said
If you went to this movie because you wanted to enjoy seeing them honor the memory of Bruce lee you are a fu*king idiot. This is not the movie for that.
Right how don't they see that?

4 days ago '17        #44
space
space
 PaintMyPain said

How can you type this essay after saying "everybody gets it" bruh its not real its a movie.

4 days ago '05        #45
space
space
 Thworldisyours said

Bruce lee wasnt a civil rights hero. Hes a martial artist, an athlete, and an actor.

4 days ago '12        #46
space
space
 LeG.O.A.T said
What if he made a movie where Hitler was shot in the face multiple times or Sharon Tate lived because Leo and Brad Pitt k*lled the bad guys...

Oh wait..

Because it's HITLER

You can take his image and do whatever you want to it.

He's not respected.

But when you take respected people and make them look stupid, you have to realize some people might have an issue with that.

4 days ago '12        #47
space
space
 Soprano ATL said
Bruce lee wasnt a civil rights hero. Hes a martial artist, an athlete, and an actor.
But would you have an issue with it?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

The argument is none of this matters because it's fiction.

I think once you start using actual people that existed and were extremely liked and respected, the lines become blurred...

And forget MLK and Malcolm, what if he made Muhammad Ali look like a clown.

And look like a clown unnecessarily (The Bruce Lee scene was good but totally unnecessary.)

4 days ago '05        #48
space
space
 Thworldisyours said
But would you have an issue with it?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

The argument is none of this matters because it's fiction.

I think once you start using actual people that existed and were extremely liked and respected, the lines become blurred...

And forget MLK and Malcolm, what if he made Muhammad Ali look like a clown.

And look like a clown unnecessarily (The Bruce Lee scene was good but totally unnecessary.)
MLK died f*ghting for the rights of millions in this country, yes I'd be pissed. Bruce lee has no comparison to him. Ali? Wouldn't care.

4 days ago '04        #49
skillahmang 3 heat pts
space
space
$28,984 | Props total: 24705 24705
fu*k Bruce Lee with a Quentin Tarantino foot.

Seriously.

4 days ago '13        #50
DiegoRivera 32 heat pts32
space
space
$5,851 | Props total: 26692 26692
I think it's fair to be mad that Bruce was portrayed as c*cky. Specifically if you're his FAMILY.

I think Tarantino made a great point in that, at the end of the day, Cliff is a fictional character. Can a fictional character that Tarantino made up beat a real person? If he fu*king writes it that way, yeah.

And part of the point was to show that there was something strange below Cliff's surface, right? And to prove just how high a threshold of f*ghter he is.

Join bx

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+56online now  41
Video inside Producer Bryan Michael Cox "Jay-Z Told Jermaine Dupri Not To Work With ..
133 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  30
Image(s) inside Aug 16 - Florida Woman Put On Probation For Having That Snapper In The..
30 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+155online now  30
OT Michelle Beadle Let Go At Espn
144 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+35online now  11
1929 Harlem Fashion Show