Micosoft Switch-Killer?

most viewed right now
+24  48
55 comments @wild'ish

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX GameSpot

2 weeks ago '11        #1
881 page views
30 comments

Tony Franks 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,032 | Props total: 8934 8934
Micosoft Switch-Killer?

If you're an Xbox gamer who's been hoping for an alternative handheld gaming experience to the Nintendo Switch, you might be in luck. That's if a patent application filed by Microsoft on 9 July 2019 turns from sketches into a physical device.

According to the patent application, the Xbox handheld attaches to, and charges, an existing touchscreen device, like a smartphone. The joypads are clipped to the phone case in a bid to offer more immersive, console-like gaming. It's unclear whether the console would play mobile games, or streaming console-quality titles from Xbox Live.

Sarang Sheth, editor of Yanko Design and one of our favourite concept designers, has created a series of slick renders based on those patent applications. He's given the device the name Xbox Cloud.

The renders show a controller in two halves, which clip to either side of a smartphone, turning it into a handheld gaming console, featuring all the buttons you'd find on original Xbox controllers including the left and right triggers on the top.

The way the controller halves clip to the sides of the phone means that they don't overlap the edges of the screen, and Sarang says that they would communicate with the handset via Wi-Fi. They also come with built-in stereo speakers, and a headphone jack for that full immersive audio experience. Oh, and they support wireless headphones, too.

In his summary of the concepts, Sarang adds that the controller will feature independent batteries which are removable and therefore switchable for prolonged bouts of gaming without any recharging necessary. When it does need charging, the Xbox Cloud will charge in its accompanying docking station. In terms of colours, Sarang envisages a choice of black, white and grey.

Will this handheld Xbox ever see the light of day? Who knows, as companies routinely apply for patents that never become real products, but perhaps Microsoft wants a piece of the handheld gaming market currently dominated by Nintendo Ė or perhaps it's heard whispers of a new Sony PSP on the horizon Ė and now it's readying its response.

visit this link https://www.t3.com/amp/ne .. plans-revealed
+5   

best
worst
30 comments

2 weeks ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
$18,348 | Props total: 39133 39133
This would be smart on their behalf, with gamepass quickly emerging.

Also, bow down to the innovators of this gaming sh*t.
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #3
Skateboard T 57 heat pts57
space
space
$26,707 | Props total: 44696 44696
Probably not. Nobody k*lls Nintendo except for Nintendo. The reason the Wii failed as a major console is because they made a horrible gamble on a gimmicky system. Nintendo’s original IP will always keep it alive as long as they can deliver enjoyable experiences with those IPs.

Last edited by Skateboard T; 08-09-2019 at 12:09 PM..

2 weeks ago '04        #4
cold_young_thug 50 heat pts50
space
space
$11,362 | Props total: 4935 4935
Damn this is a pretty good idea.
+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #5
Ruger707 35 heat pts35
space
space
$2,217 | Props total: 5116 5116
That thing looks stupid af
+8   

2 weeks ago '17        #6
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
 Skateboard T said
Probably not. Nobody k*lls Nintendo except for Nintendo. The reason the Wii failed is because they made a horrible gamble on a gimmicky system. Nintendoís original IP will always keep it alive as long as they can deliver enjoyable experiences with those IPs.
I take it you meant the Wii U
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #7
LocdUpProd 691 heat pts691
space
space
$15,644 | Props total: 10620 10620
Without software it will fail

2 weeks ago '06        #8
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
I take it you meant the Wii U
Both. I suppose the Wii didnít ďfailĒ but it certainly failed by Nintendo standards. Prior to that they had always been in the conversation (if not driving the conversation) of major consoles. But the Wii never was.

2 weeks ago '05        #9
WCIB 126 heat pts126
space
space
$27,827 | Props total: 15883 15883
I’d cop if it’s real. I’d buy a Sony one too. Anything that lets me take my games anywhere.
+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
 Skateboard T said
Both. I suppose the Wii didnít ďfailĒ but it certainly failed by Nintendo standards. Prior to that they had always been in the conversation (if not driving the conversation) of major consoles. But the Wii never was.
That was by design and judging by the sales numbers, they made a good decision to stop being direct competitors to MS and Sony
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #11
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
That was by design and judging by the sales numbers, they made a good decision to stop being direct competitors to MS and Sony
That may be, but the system was barely more than a novelty in the overall conversation of seventh gen gaming.

The whole reason they made the Wii U was to try and court actual gamers.

Nintendo wound up, by design or not (I think it was actually not) catering almost exclusively to casual gamers, families, and young children more so than it ever had. No matter which way you cut it Nintendo sacrificed a TON of market share (at one point GameCube had 38%, I can’t find hard numbers on the wii butnid be surprised if it was more than 20%) and had to pivot in order to stay afloat. They did, and I’m glad, but to act like the Wii was some sort of huge success of the seventh gen console wars in this particular conversation is really just playing semantics. It wasn’t a good gaming system it was a novelty toy that sold very well.

I give them a lot of credit because the bounce back with the switch has been executed to perfection.

Last edited by Skateboard T; 08-09-2019 at 12:11 PM..

2 weeks ago '17        #12
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
 Skateboard T said
That may be, but the system was barely more than a novelty in the overall conversation of seventh gen gaming.

The whole reason they made the Wii U was to try and court actual gamers.

Nintendo wound up, by design or not (I think it was actually not) catering almost exclusively to casual gamers, families, and young children more so than it ever had. No matter which way you cut it Nintendo sacrificed a TON of market share (at one point GameCube had 38%, I canít find hard numbers on the wii butnid be surprised if it was more than 20%) and had to pivot in order to stay afloat. They did, and Iím glad, but to act like the Wii was some sort of huge success of the seventh gen console wars in this particular conversation is really just playing semantics. It wasnít a good gaming system it was a novelty toy that sold very well.

I give them a lot of credit because the bounce back with the switch has been executed to perfection.
None of what youíre saying is true. The quote unquote big boys both tried to do motion controls. I bet the Wii is still in more households today than both the 360 and PS3. The Wii U didnít try to court ďactualĒ gamers (whatever that means) they literally tried to do more of the same with the Wii U. Otherwise, they would have chosen another name for starters.

On top of all this, the Wii had easily the best game of that generation (Mario Galaxy) and were constantly praised by everyone in the industry during the seventh gen.

Canít believe youíre trying to argue this to be quite honest. I can tell youíre going off anecdotal sh*t.
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #13
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
And lmfao at the Gamecube ever having 38% of the market share, thats as blatant as a lie as I ever seen. I dont even think they have 38 if you take away the Xbox entirely.

2 weeks ago '06        #14
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
None of what you’re saying is true. The quote unquote big boys both tried to do motion controls. I bet the Wii is still in more households today than both the 360 and PS3. The Wii U didn’t try to court “actual” gamers (whatever that means) they literally tried to do more of the same with the Wii U. Otherwise, they would have chosen another name for starters.

On top of all this, the Wii had easily the best game of that generation (Mario Galaxy) and were constantly praised by everyone in the industry during the seventh gen.

Can’t believe you’re trying to argue this to be quite honest. I can tell you’re going off anecdotal sh*t.
Nah my stats are correct. You’re just reframing my argument. I don’t care how many households its in or how many sales it made. It was not embraced by the gaming community as a legitimate gaming platform. in that respect, it failed. That’s always been my point. Nintendo went from competing and even beating Sony and Microsoft to being a second tier system.

What you’re saying isn’t wrong, just irrelevant to my point.

SPdaGOAT said
And lmfao at the Gamecube ever having 38% of the market share, thats as blatant as a lie as I ever seen. I dont even think they have 38 if you take away the Xbox entirely.
Uh is it though?

Lol

Last edited by Skateboard T; 08-09-2019 at 12:25 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #15
angelo noel 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,739 | Props total: 2627 2627
Bro that was in the beginning of the 7th gen. Overall the GCN did NOT have 38%. You are on meth, coke, Xan, Flocka, and dius to think this bullsh*t.

2 weeks ago '17        #16
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
 Skateboard T said
Nah my stats are correct. Youíre just reframing my argument. I donít care how many households its in or how many sales it made. It was not embraced by the gaming community as a legitimate gaming platform. in that respect, it failed. Thatís always been my point. Nintendo went from competing and even beating Sony and Microsoft to being a second tier system.

What youíre saying isnít wrong, just irrelevant to my point.

Uh is it though?

Lol
The motion controls were praised by the gaming community, so much so to the point that steam users demanding gyro control for the official steam controller. Many people regard Mario Galaxy as one of the best games ever.

The Wii was only ever second tier to teenagers and frat boys. And getting a lot and I mean A LOT of casuals into gaming period should tell you how much of an impact they had on gaming period. To say it wasnít embraced by the gaming community just isnít true.

And around the time that article was written, the PS2 had just under 50 million units sold and the gamecube had just under 10. Thereís absolutely no way you can take those numbers and tell me the gamecubeís market share was 38%. Gamecube and Xbox sales were practically neck and neck that generation. I think he meant there was a 19% increase to that 18%, as in it probably increased 3-5% during that price drop.

Cause if you look up the numbers, thereís just absolutely no way. Unless weíre counting GBA sales too
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #17
space
space
 SPdaGOAT said
The motion controls were praised by the gaming community, so much so to the point that steam users demanding gyro control for the official steam controller. Many people regard Mario Galaxy as one of the best games ever.

The Wii was only ever second tier to teenagers and frat boys. And getting a lot and I mean A LOT of casuals into gaming period should tell you how much of an impact they had on gaming period. To say it wasn’t embraced by the gaming community just isn’t true.

And around the time that article was written, the PS2 had just under 50 million units sold and the gamecube had just under 10. There’s absolutely no way you can take those numbers and tell me the gamecube’s market share was 38%. Gamecube and Xbox sales were practically neck and neck that generation. I think he meant there was a 19% increase to that 18%, as in it probably increased 3-5% during that price drop.

Cause if you look up the numbers, there’s just absolutely no way. Unless we’re counting GBA sales too
Ok dude. Whatever you say.

2 weeks ago '16        #18
Boogersugar 86 heat pts86
space
space
$6,351 | Props total: 23578 23578
The Wii was extremely financially successful, much moreso than the Gamecube. The Wii U had great games but was marketed terribly starting with the name.
+5   

2 weeks ago '10        #19
acegutta22 208 heat pts208
space
space
$9,628 | Props total: 8084 8084
 Skateboard T said
Probably not. Nobody k*lls Nintendo except for Nintendo. The reason the Wii failed as a major console is because they made a horrible gamble on a gimmicky system. Nintendoís original IP will always keep it alive as long as they can deliver enjoyable experiences with those IPs.
what the f*** are you talking about the Nintendo Wii was one of the most successful consoles in the history of consoles I believe you mean the Nintendo Wii u two different systems
+3   

2 weeks ago '06        #20
space
space
 acegutta22 said
what the f*** are you talking about the Nintendo Wii was one of the most successful consoles in the history of consoles I believe you mean the Nintendo Wii u two different systems
I’m not talking about sales, I’m talking about market share. People purchased playstations and xboxes throughout the entire generation and wii’s Pretty much fell to nothing halfway through. I’m not saying it was a bad move, I’m saying they created a second tier gaming system that was more of a novelty than anything else.

2 weeks ago '04        #21
Ra-da-god 36 heat pts36
space
space
$13,427 | Props total: 4425 4425
 LocdUpProd said
the theory is it would leverage Xcloud which basically means you'd be able to take your entire xbox library on the go so long as you having access to decent internet.

I'd buy one

2 weeks ago '07        #22
Jeet Kune Do 13 heat pts13
space
space
$7,686 | Props total: 4558 4558
I like how every thread on bx turns into a “shouting match”
+1   

2 weeks ago '07        #23
Jae_Mike 29 heat pts29
space
space
$4,763 | Props total: 1690 1690
 LocdUpProd said
Facts Xbox One struggling this Gen, the want to release another product when they currently don't have games for their main one

2 weeks ago '10        #24
Rawfury 76 heat pts76
space
space
$8,740 | Props total: 4447 4447
People are not going to agree with me but i honestly in my heart believe that Nintendo would be fu*ked without the 'handheld' style of gaming

With that said if microsoft released one that played older xbox games along with some gems from the xbox store/arcade or whatever id think about it

2 weeks ago '14        #25
LocdUpProd 691 heat pts691
space
space
$15,644 | Props total: 10620 10620
 Ra-da-god said
the theory is it would leverage Xcloud which basically means you'd be able to take your entire xbox library on the go so long as you having access to decent internet.

I'd buy one
Thatís fine and a good advancement
Thing is they donít have a Xbox first party or second party for that matter software library that warrants a purchase.

Even with the new studios they acquired their games are still on third party handheld consoles (Switch)

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+55online now  13
Saddest sh1t Iíve seen all week 😥
108 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+83online now  10
Image(s) inside Eddie Murphy Back In Costume For 'Coming To America 2'
108 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+18online now  6
Spider Man back in MCU ?
50 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+34online now  6
Article inside Hilary Duff is set to reprise her role as Lizzie McGuire in a ĎLIZZIE..
58 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy