let's keep it real platformers are the hardest video game genre of all time!

most viewed right now
+36  136
29 comments @movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX GameSpot

2 weeks ago '11        #101
feet1stmusic 
space
space
space
$24 | Props total: 15 15
how bout Milon's Secret Castle and Ecco the Dolphin to add to the list

great thread!
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #102
Thegreatiandi 
space
space
$2,111 | Props total: 8794 8794
[quote=blackninja;50318778]
 Thegreatiandi said

Yo! I responded but it said I was logged out and I lost it. Still! Everything you said is really inspiring. What a varied life. i deal with video all of the time but not as you do. And one of my people's moved to Vegas this year. I had a bad chick in Vegas before wifey but she became a HARD CORE, RABID TRUMP supporter and that was that.

What are your top five games of all time?

I don't even know what mine are. I know that "MGS4," "God of War series," and "Zelda: BOTW" are what quickly come to mind.
You deal with video too, ehh? In what capacity? Editing? Always good to see more video guys out here. Also good to hear marriage isn't dead. BX makes me wonder sometimes, lol.

Good luck to your boy out here...it's an interesting city for sure. You can get caught up in the BS real quick if you're not careful.

Top 5 of all time? That's a hard one, bro. Here's a lil list off the top:

Castlevaina 1
God of War ( 1-2-3-4 )
Ninja Gaiden ( 1 )
MGS ( Ps1 )
Mortal Kombat ( 1-2-3-Ultimate- 9- X- New one )
Street f*ghter ( 2-3-Alpha series- 4 )
Mario ( series )
Sonic ( 2 )
Marvel Super Heros ( 1-2 )
Zelda ( part 2 on the NES )
Resident Evil ( 1-2-3-4-7-Both remakes ) )
Aliens ( arcade )
Area 51 ( Arcade )
Megaman ( 2-X )
Streets of Rage 2
Double Dragon ( 1-2-Super )
Final f*ght
The Punisher ( Arcade )
Left 4 Dead
Borderlands ( 1-2 )
Read Dead Redemption 2
Army Of Two ( 1-2 )
Unreal Tournament ( 2004- 2008 )
Quake 3

And so many more, lol
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #103
Thegreatiandi 
space
space
 feet1stmusic said
how bout Milon's Secret Castle and Ecco the Dolphin to add to the list

great thread!
Milon's Secret Castle...

2 weeks ago '05        #104
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
$8,161 | Props total: 11583 11583
[quote=Thegreatiandi;50319889]
 blackninja said

You deal with video too, ehh? In what capacity? Editing? Always good to see more video guys out here. Also good to hear marriage isn't dead. BX makes me wonder sometimes, lol.

Good luck to your boy out here...it's an interesting city for sure. You can get caught up in the BS real quick if you're not careful.

Top 5 of all time? That's a hard one, bro. Here's a lil list off the top:

Castlevaina 1
God of War ( 1-2-3-4 )
Ninja Gaiden ( 1 )
MGS ( Ps1 )
Mortal Kombat ( 1-2-3-Ultimate- 9- X- New one )
Street f*ghter ( 2-3-Alpha series- 4 )
Mario ( series )
Sonic ( 2 )
Marvel Super Heros ( 1-2 )
Zelda ( part 2 on the NES )
Resident Evil ( 1-2-3-4-7-Both remakes ) )
Aliens ( arcade )
Area 51 ( Arcade )
Megaman ( 2-X )
Streets of Rage 2
Double Dragon ( 1-2-Super )
Final f*ght
The Punisher ( Arcade )
Left 4 Dead
Borderlands ( 1-2 )
Read Dead Redemption 2
Army Of Two ( 1-2 )
Unreal Tournament ( 2004- 2008 )
Quake 3

And so many more, lol
OK! The only ones I have not played are in bold. I loved how they brought the entire story together in MGS4. When they took me back to the first bunker from MGS on the NES I was like: "BRAVO!"

Yo! This exchange has been rewarding. I wish I was trying to build a cabinet so I could tap into your knowledge. I wish you knew how to code and could be my guide for that. I had damn near every Ninja Gaiden game and it was one of tthe last that I bought for my PS Vita. Still in the system now. The Vita was the best handheld system IMO, excluding the Switch, which is a console.

I will say that video games have been consistently DOPE in EVERY era. Mario, Zelda, Metroid. GOW, Gears of War, etc are all top franchises.

Last edited by blackninja; 08-06-2019 at 07:13 AM..

2 weeks ago '11        #105
Tooly Da Gawd 33 heat pts33
space
space
$5,752 | Props total: 5377 5377
This is a stupid conversation

2 weeks ago '16        #106
Head Coach 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,014 | Props total: 3792 3792
I never got past the 2nd level on the 1st turtles game damn electric seaweeds

+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #107
GoCop 
space
space
$791 | Props total: 854 854
i feel u

2 weeks ago '17        #108
Thegreatiandi 
space
space
[quote=blackninja;50326325]
 Thegreatiandi said

OK! The only ones I have not played are in bold. I loved how they brought the entire story together in MGS4. When they took me back to the first bunker from MGS on the NES I was like: "BRAVO!"

Yo! This exchange has been rewarding. I wish I was trying to build a cabinet so I could tap into your knowledge. I wish you knew how to code and could be my guide for that. I had damn near every Ninja Gaiden game and it was one of the last that I bought for my PS Vita. Still in the system now. The Vita was the best handheld system IMO, excluding the Switch, which is a console.

I will say that video games have been consistently DOPE in EVERY era. Mario, Zelda, Metroid. GOW, Gears of War, etc are all top franchises.
Man, you never got to play Army of two? Fun a*s games with a co-op friend. We need more games like that.

The last gears i played was the first one on PC. Loved it. And im a big PC gamer...so that was a cool port. I actually can only do first person shooters on the pc...if not i get motion sick lmao. It also helps that i built a nice gaming PC...and mouse/keyboard is the way to go

MGS...i agree, Just seeing the old school bunker stuff that Hideo Kojima put in the first was awesome.

I loved the vita as well. It's a great emulation handheld to...if you know how. Having all of the ninja Gaiden games now ( instead of the one i could afford as a child )...damn what a brutal series of games. Those and the Castlevaina games are some of the " made me cry " moments as a child. Especially Simon's Quest with that damn hurricane part.

I think i'm going to get the switch this year...but i don't want the new one. The 1st gen looks cooler to me.

If you ever get around to trying to build one,...let me know. I'll help however i can. If you get into emulation...and get Parsec, you could always game online with a pc/mac....and do co-op on the old school games from NES, SNES, Arcade< etc. It's bad a*s.
+1   

1 week ago '05        #109
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
[quote=Thegreatiandi;50327940]
 blackninja said

Man, you never got to play Army of two? Fun a*s games with a co-op friend. We need more games like that.

The last gears i played was the first one on PC. Loved it. And im a big PC gamer...so that was a cool port. I actually can only do first person shooters on the pc...if not i get motion sick lmao. It also helps that i built a nice gaming PC...and mouse/keyboard is the way to go

MGS...i agree, Just seeing the old school bunker stuff that Hideo Kojima put in the first was awesome.

I loved the vita as well. It's a great emulation handheld to...if you know how. Having all of the ninja Gaiden games now ( instead of the one i could afford as a child )...damn what a brutal series of games. Those and the Castlevaina games are some of the " made me cry " moments as a child. Especially Simon's Quest with that damn hurricane part.

I think i'm going to get the switch this year...but i don't want the new one. The 1st gen looks cooler to me.

If you ever get around to trying to build one,...let me know. I'll help however i can. If you get into emulation...and get Parsec, you could always game online with a pc/mac....and do co-op on the old school games from NES, SNES, Arcade< etc. It's bad a*s.
There are periods of time when I get on PS Now and just play games I always wanted to but never bought. I love PS Now. I have not tried the XBOX Version. With that being said, I looked for "Army of Two" and it was not there. I will check it because that is a game that I always wanted to play.

Parsec sounded so familiar and it took me a second to remember that SW reference. I am not exactly sure what Parsec needs to work but I am intrigued and want to check it out.

I appreciate all of the help you are willing to extend to me if I build a cabinet. I think I will do that as soon as I get over this work patch and I will hit you up. I am NOT handy and I cannot think of a better way to get "handy." lol

Last edited by blackninja; 08-08-2019 at 06:00 PM..
+1   

1 week ago '17        #110
Thegreatiandi 
space
space
[quote=blackninja;50343406]
 Thegreatiandi said

There are periods of time when I get on PS Now and just play games I always wanted to but never bought. I love PS Now. I have not tried the XBOX Version. With that being said, I looked for "Army of Two" and it was not there. I will check it because that is a game that I always wanted to play.

Parsec sounded so familiar and it took me a second to remember that SW reference. I am not exactly sure what Parsec needs to work but I am intrigued and want to check it out.

I appreciate all of the help you are willing to extend to me if I build a cabinet. I think I will do that as soon as I get over this work patch and I will hit you up. I am NOT handy and I cannot think of a better way to get "handy." lol
Yeah man, I definitely love to experience games that I never tried before. Of course growing up and poverty, I could only dream about what it would be like to play all these different games. Video games definitely took my mind away from things in a positive way.

Even if it was just reading the video game magazines which of course now, I collect. LOL. But I mean I collect the retro ones from when we were kids. I'm constantly finding old-school Nintendo power magazines off of eBay, gamepro magazines, electronic gaming monthly, etc. I still have some from when I was 17 years old... But I am a collector in general. Comic books and old stuff for nostalgia sake.

As far as PlayStation Now, I initially wanted it because there may have been some original PlayStation games that I never played... What am I saying, of course there were. That system has 1000+ games on it LOL. But here's the thing, I've been doing emulation and been in that scene for so many years now that, if i want a PlayStation game, there's no way I can get it. I have the entire library of the first PlayStation in my arcade. So it's great suggest see what was as opposed to what now is. I'm actually starting to do the PlayStation 2 now...

definitely if you get the opportunity to play those army of two games, I think you'll like it. They definitely are what I like to call, a man's man game. The two have funny dude bro interaction with each other. The gunplay is fun. The stuff that dude's enjoy.

So have you ever played a game called comic zone on the Sega Genesis? Thinking of obscure titles that most people haven't played, that's definitely one of them. It's one hell of a hard game, but I definitely appreciate the creators of the game going outside of the box and making something different.

And no doubt on the build. My original 2-player arcade that I built took me about for years to finally get done. Not for lack of trying but, life just being so busy. You know how that is. But I'm a big believer in men, especially young men, need to have hobbies that stimulate their mind. Something other than the basic a*s, " got to go get some pu**y ". Hobbies that stimulate your mind, make you think and research make you a better person. I don't discount anyone's positive hobby 👍🏾👈🏾. I literally had zero woodworking ability. I had zero tools to do anything like that. It just wasn't how I grew up, understanding would masonry or anyting. The new 4-player build probably took me about 8 months? Maybe that.

Here's the link to my page on the arcade form that I belong to. I have listed the pieces and parts and cost a*sociated with. As well as more pictures.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/45984-my-four-player-build/?tab=comments#comment-305032

lastly, remember you don't have to build a huge arcade. I'm actually going to build to miniature tabletop arcade for both of my nephew's. I'm going to be starting that project this weekend I do believe. After I get done with that, I'm going to create a video pinball machine.

1 week ago '19        #111
jojothugadventu 7 heat pts
space
space
$70 | Props total: 373 373
Yall never played a competitive f*ghting game

1 week ago '04        #112
gh3tto 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,416 | Props total: 3226 3226
i forgot about wings of vi
and the new meat boy

wings of vi and boshy is harder than that whole list

1 week ago '11        #113
Tony Franks 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,002 | Props total: 8883 8883
 DaQCKing said
n*gga you ain't even mention BattleToads. When you get on that Jetski thing .

slapped for the bad memories
+2   

1 week ago '10        #114
Rawfury 76 heat pts76
space
space
$8,736 | Props total: 4441 4441
Ya'll mentioned most of the old school games but i can honestly say the first and only time in life i broke a controller was this

This sh*t on the hardest game mode was literally just stress. Because of platformers like ninja gaiden i CANNOT and WILL NOT play most games on normal if not the hardest difficulty available

1 week ago '18        #115
stutteringrap 135 heat pts135 OP
space
space
space
$9,787 | Props total: 12175 12175
[quote=blackninja;50343406]
 Thegreatiandi said

can you explain what is ps now.

1 week ago '05        #116
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
[quote=stutteringrap;50356902]
 blackninja said

Netflix for video games.

1 week ago '17        #117
Thegreatiandi 
space
space
[quote=stutteringrap;50356902]
 blackninja said

An additional PlayStation service that allows you to play older games from their library... PS1, PS2, and PS3.

Not always the best games...but just games from years back.

1 week ago '18        #118
space
space
space
 rawfury said
ya'll mentioned most of the old school games but i can honestly say the first and only time in life i broke a controller was this

this sh*t on the hardest game mode was literally just stress. Because of platformers like ninja gaiden i cannot and will not play most games on normal if not the hardest difficulty available
do you mean the nes version or the playstation 2 or xbox version

1 week ago '18        #119
space
space
space
[quote=blackninja;50356940]
 stutteringrap said

Netflix for video games.

so what type of pc do you need to play this. like how expensive or what type of specs?

2. wow! if you can play over 800 games from 4 different Ionic consoles. then you are winning. i don't see how this has not being super popular.

even if it has issues. that is a steal for 20 or 40 a month.

1 week ago '05        #120
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
[quote=stutteringrap;50358584]
 blackninja said

so what type of pc do you need to play this. like how expensive or what type of specs?

2. wow! if you can play over 800 games from 4 different Ionic consoles. then you are winning. i don't see how this has not being super popular.

even if it has issues. that is a steal for 20 or 40 a month.

I do not know about if it works on a PC, but I was using a regular PS4 and a BS Verizon internet connection when I was away from home and I did not have issues.

At home I have gigabyte Xfinity Internet and that is fast AF and perfect for that.

1 week ago '05        #121
WCIB 126 heat pts126
space
space
$27,771 | Props total: 15804 15804
 Tony Franks said
slapped for the bad memories
+1   

6 days ago '04        #122
gh3tto 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,416 | Props total: 3226 3226
just found this, comes out in december

the next solgryn game so you know its hard af

6 days ago '05        #123
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
[quote=Thegreatiandi;50346989]
 blackninja said

Yeah man, I definitely love to experience games that I never tried before. Of course growing up and poverty, I could only dream about what it would be like to play all these different games. Video games definitely took my mind away from things in a positive way.

Even if it was just reading the video game magazines which of course now, I collect. LOL. But I mean I collect the retro ones from when we were kids. I'm constantly finding old-school Nintendo power magazines off of eBay, gamepro magazines, electronic gaming monthly, etc. I still have some from when I was 17 years old... But I am a collector in general. Comic books and old stuff for nostalgia sake.

As far as PlayStation Now, I initially wanted it because there may have been some original PlayStation games that I never played... What am I saying, of course there were. That system has 1000+ games on it LOL. But here's the thing, I've been doing emulation and been in that scene for so many years now that, if i want a PlayStation game, there's no way I can get it. I have the entire library of the first PlayStation in my arcade. So it's great suggest see what was as opposed to what now is. I'm actually starting to do the PlayStation 2 now...

definitely if you get the opportunity to play those army of two games, I think you'll like it. They definitely are what I like to call, a man's man game. The two have funny dude bro interaction with each other. The gunplay is fun. The stuff that dude's enjoy.

So have you ever played a game called comic zone on the Sega Genesis? Thinking of obscure titles that most people haven't played, that's definitely one of them. It's one hell of a hard game, but I definitely appreciate the creators of the game going outside of the box and making something different.

And no doubt on the build. My original 2-player arcade that I built took me about for years to finally get done. Not for lack of trying but, life just being so busy. You know how that is. But I'm a big believer in men, especially young men, need to have hobbies that stimulate their mind. Something other than the basic a*s, " got to go get some pu**y ". Hobbies that stimulate your mind, make you think and research make you a better person. I don't discount anyone's positive hobby 👍🏾👈🏾. I literally had zero woodworking ability. I had zero tools to do anything like that. It just wasn't how I grew up, understanding would masonry or anyting. The new 4-player build probably took me about 8 months? Maybe that.

Here's the link to my page on the arcade form that I belong to. I have listed the pieces and parts and cost a*sociated with. As well as more pictures.

lastly, remember you don't have to build a huge arcade. I'm actually going to build to miniature tabletop arcade for both of my nephew's. I'm going to be starting that project this weekend I do believe. After I get done with that, I'm going to create a video pinball machine.

Thanks for all of the info!

Back in the day, I used to get all of thew video game magazines: "Nintendo Power," GamePro," etc. I still have the Nintendo Powers. I used to read every page.

You guys on here have extensive knowledge of video games. Awhile back, a BX member sent me a link to a really inexpensive device that would allow me to hack my Switch without having to actually hack it or open it up. I lost the link.

I know that this is not comparable to what you are doing, but what do you think about this?

3 days ago '18        #124
space
space
space
 blackninja said
I just started playing it again and I am on like the sixth level. I don't know how many there are. Aside from me forgetting how to jump and falling off of some buildings (pressed wrong buttons), I am not really having any issues with it.

I think I was as good any any other kid when it came to platformers. That's what all of the great Nintendo games were. I don't remember ever really being intimidated by any game. I beat every game that I had. I even beat that game "Fantasy Zone" on the Sega Master System. I am not sure if that was hard, but I remember it going ballistic with so many little things that had to be dodged.

Maybe the music resonated failure and you were allergic to it.

update please? did you ever beat it or do you lose?

3 days ago '05        #125
blackninja 14 heat pts14
space
space
 stutteringrap said
update please? did you ever beat it or do you lose?
Hey! It is frozen. I bought a new game and have been playing that. Plus they gave Mario Tennis away for free. I will get back to it.

Join bx

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+56online now  36
Video inside Producer Bryan Michael Cox "Jay-Z Told Jermaine Dupri Not To Work With ..
133 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  32
Image(s) inside Aug 16 - Florida Woman Put On Probation For Having That Snapper In The..
30 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+155online now  29
OT Michelle Beadle Let Go At Espn
145 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+78online now  11
Image(s) inside Styles P Says "I Quit Rap..."