cord cutting speeds up as the pay tv mafia scrambles to boost profits

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX Tech

2 weeks ago '06        #51
imthatinfamous 49 heat pts49
space
space
$10,716 | Props total: 9371 9371
i was all about cord cutting but i got tired of that bull...too many leaps to do something like watch a Red Sox game without it being blacked out online...you get a lot of sh*t with a internet and cable package...through comcast i got 250mbps download speeds, all basic channels, and every premium channel you can think of like hbo, cinemax, showtime, etc for $160 a month...and a netflix account for free
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #52
414mvp 
space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 3257 3257
In Gears TV and Cinema HD i Trust
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #53
WizardsFan85 
space
space
space
$385 | Props total: 533 533
 Javon23 said
Lol @ crying. I was giving an opinion on student debt that effects many of us.
That don't mean I am hurting for money.
Only pussies care about another man's pockets.
I been told you and others on here who claim to live in or around the DMV you can definitely come see me. I am not hard to find. Howard County if you care so much about how I live.
I am typing this right now at home getting paid while your a*s is probably at work
Your opinion was "bail me out!"...yet you're blowing money on useless sh*t- and the bank should forgive your loans why? fu*k you

If I come see you will you show me those pictures of you and Lebron?
+1   

2 weeks ago '07        #54
iswerve 208 heat pts208
space
space
$7,261 | Props total: 14465 14465
 WizardsFan85 said

2 weeks ago '04        #55
Javon23 345 heat pts345
space
space
$53,021 | Props total: 26156 26156
 WizardsFan85 said
Your opinion was "bail me out!"...yet you're blowing money on useless sh*t- and the bank should forgive your loans why? fu*k you

Either Quote exactly what I said or STFU
You aint sh*t without a computer to hide behind

2 weeks ago '17        #56
YeahSo 
space
space
space
$138 | Props total: 313 313
 SnowFleury said
Oof
Yeah, I was in a weird housing situation and didn't have room to be picky. Still, I can't complain because the employee discount comes with no contract: I was able to cancel 4 months in with no penalty, which would usually set a customer back about $400.
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #57
killinemsoftly 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,952 | Props total: 2755 2755
 Javon23 said
Cable is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Their monopoly grip is still too strong and thats because they are also our Internet Providers and as a result still give the best Bundles based on preference. Cable is also still the most convenient option
I agree their monopoly is strong but I disagree about cable being most convenient. Watch media on any device you want is more convenient than having to watch a tv. Yeah they have mobile services but nothing Iíve seen as user friendly as top streaming services. Also itís earlier to dl an app and sign up for service in 2-3 minutes. Watching instantly instead of waiting for installation or picking up equipment.

Cable have two things on their side. The fact that they are the internet gateway keepers and that they are familiar. Really their familiarity isnít helping that much.

2 weeks ago '13        #58
tigersteps 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$613 | Props total: 498 498
53.00 dollars with direct 62.90 for the internet. small towns and city don't have that many providers to chose from. most cable company can charge what they want

2 weeks ago '09        #59
messy marv stan 5477 heat pts5477 OP
space
space
$74,859 | Props total: 130300 130300
 MM3 said
Someone help me out. Trying to cut the cord for my mom who doesnít want to use Netflix/prime etc. She just wants to turn on the tv and cut to her channel. She ainít finding sh*t online to stream or using jailbroken fire sticks to find her shows.

What do I do for that? Slingtv? Something else?

for regular over the air television a $5 tv antenna from amazom is great

i get about 45 local tv channels for free

2 weeks ago '04        #60
Javon23 345 heat pts345
space
space
 killinemsoftly said
I agree their monopoly is strong but I disagree about cable being most convenient. Watch media on any device you want is more convenient than having to watch a tv. Yeah they have mobile services but nothing Iíve seen as user friendly as top streaming services. Also itís earlier to dl an app and sign up for service in 2-3 minutes. Watching instantly instead of waiting for installation or picking up equipment.

Cable have two things on their side. The fact that they are the internet gateway keepers and that they are familiar. Really their familiarity isnít helping that much.
Everything you said is true "but" that only mostly applies to Millennials.
Yes Millennials are fine with watching tv on any device. But the average size tvs being purchased is now at least 45 inches for a reason. Thats not Millennials.
The majority of cable subscribers are age 35 and up and contribute that to convenience when it comes to familiarity, home tv set ups and businesses.
And like a previous poster said, not everyone has access to high speed internet and also not all internet service providers offer true unlimited data without throttling.
Another example, I have a cousin with 4 daughters. Her internet connection is 50Mbps. All her kids have smart devices and with everyone logged on it destroys her internet speeds. No different than being on a crowded public wifi at a business. I live alone and had to buy a bridge router to support all my connections because i have too many smart devices which was affecting my speeds.
Yes there is no denying the cord cutting movement but the convenience for everyone in general is not there yet.

2 weeks ago '04        #61
Javon23 345 heat pts345
space
space
 WizardsFan85 said
I know enough to know that you were crying and begging for a student loan bailout.

Yet here you are spending $220 ($2,640 a year) on cable to save 30 seconds when you have a $30 option with the same access. That's bad financial management- especially when you're up in the thread crying about the amount of debt you're carrying
Boy I guess I mismanaged my money traveling from Maryland to go to this game.
Enjoy watching on your moms iptv account
Lame

2 weeks ago '15        #62
Good Guy Ry 26 heat pts26
space
space
$14,593 | Props total: 37100 37100
 Javon23 said
I still pay $220 a month for cable (FIOS)
But currently subscribe to 3 different iptv services.
Only reason why I hang on to cable is because of the delay when watching iptv which is up to an average of 45 secs. All streaming services have delays Yes the legit ones too. The day they eliminate that = im all in on iptv.
So you saying you pay 220 because of a 45 second delay. . .

Y'all just be giving money away.
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #63
WizardsFan85 
space
space
space
 Javon23 said
Boy I guess I mismanaged my money traveling from Maryland to go to this game.
Enjoy watching on your moms iptv account
Lame
Post that student loan balance that's going to take a lifetime to pay off....maybe you can get your friend Lebron to help you pay it off
+2   

5 days ago '10        #64
bunun 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,257 | Props total: 3333 3333
cable tvs problem started years ago, being 36, i really stopped watching tv in my late teens, everything i wanted to watch i could pirate off the internet from warez sites, ftps, irc, and then the oG xbox made it almost seemless to watch that sh*t on a tv

a show that just aired is on the internet in hd quality in 6 minutes after airing
+1   

1 day ago '15        #65
donnyyy 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$2,462 | Props total: 5904 5904
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Cable companies gonna start charging u more for internet packages.
Thats the thing about competition

Stay too high and too greedy and you end up like Radioshack or ToysRus

23 hrs ago '19        #66
Nightwing 
space
space
space
$36 | Props total: 60 60
The reason I always get cable back is because of the regional sports networks smh. When you can't watch your local teams cause none of the rsn's have a consistent stream. I ain't missing college football or my hockey or basketball....nope

20 hrs ago '05        #67
fully_amazing 13 heat pts13
space
space
$1,850 | Props total: 665 665
 414mvp said
In Gears TV and Cinema HD i Trust
Does GearTV buffer?
Iím using Bozz right now. And I like, but sometimes it does buffer. Iíve also noticed it buffers more on the weekends than during the week.
I was looking into trying either GearTV or double agent.
Any suggestions?

19 hrs ago '14        #68
DJ HiStakes 
space
space
$511 | Props total: 680 680
Pocket watching another man is hoe behavior...

WizardsFan85 said
Post that student loan balance that's going to take a lifetime to pay off....maybe you can get your friend Lebron to help you pay it off
+1   

18 hrs ago '09        #69
RdGZkP 31 heat pts31
space
space
$3,103 | Props total: 302 302
 Nightwing said
The reason I always get cable back is because of the regional sports networks smh. When you can't watch your local teams cause none of the rsn's have a consistent stream. I ain't missing college football or my hockey or basketball....nope
My IPTV has every single regional sports network as well. There are options out there if you just do the research. Comcast gets $50 from me a month for basic cable and Internet. Pay between$10-20 for IPTV and get every single channel available..

For someone to willingly pay over $200 because of a delay shows they care way more about social media than they should. If you can see the same game everyone else sees 20x cheaper than most n refuse because of a short delay that's wild. Now if the quality of the stream was bad than it's understandable but you get a great HD stream for the cost of just an HD box rental from the cable company.

17 hrs ago '15        #70
414mvp 
space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 3257 3257
 fully_amazing said
Does GearTV buffer?
Iím using Bozz right now. And I like, but sometimes it does buffer. Iíve also noticed it buffers more on the weekends than during the week.
I was looking into trying either GearTV or double agent.
Any suggestions?
I donít have buffering but my internet and WiFi is tweaked perfectly zero dead spots and full bars everywhere in my house. Your WiFi makes a difference as well
+1   

16 hrs ago '05        #71
fully_amazing 13 heat pts13
space
space
$1,850 | Props total: 665 665
 414mvp said
I donít have buffering but my internet and WiFi is tweaked perfectly zero dead spots and full bars everywhere in my house. Your WiFi makes a difference as well
I got the GB from Verizon. And I have the firestick hard wired into the router.
Iím just wondering if the service is better on GearTV

15 hrs ago '15        #72
Rompetoto 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$603 | Props total: 539 539
When T-Mobile goes 5G and start offering unlimited internet is the day ISP companies will crumble

14 hrs ago '19        #73
FP1305 
space
space
$779 | Props total: 1312 1312
 messy marv stan said

The number of households without a traditional pay-television subscription could soon equal those that have one, a new forecast finds.

The number of Americans who are cutting the cord on their cable, telco and satellite TV services continues to accelerate, according to a new forecast from eMarketer released Tuesday.

The findings come as the tipping point for cord-cutting has arrived as traditional TV providers look to boost profits by offering fewer promotions and Disney, WarnerMedia and Apple get set to join Netflix and Amazon Prime in the streaming arena.

eMarketer reports that by the end of this year the number of pay TV households will fall by 4 percent to 86.5 million and the number of households with a traditional pay TV subscription will fall below 80 million by 2021, with more than one-fifth of households by then having become cord-cutters.

The research firm in its latest survey of the U.S. pay TV market said the number of households without a traditional pay TV subscription is quickly approaching the number of those that have one. The report predicts that, by 2023, the number of pay TV households will stand at 72.7 million, while the number of those without a pay TV package will number 56.1 million.

eMarketer found in its report that the accelerating pace of cord-cutting is caused by TV providers themselves as they put improving profit margins before revenues. "That is coming at the expense of subscribers, who often drop services when prices rise and promotional deals don't get renewed," eMarketer argues in its report.

AT&T during its latest financial quarter saw its entertainment division, which includes satellite TV provider DirecTV, lose 83,000 subscribers as they left the service when introductory price promotion plans lapsed. Rival Charter Communications is also losing subscribers as, rather than cut package prices as cord-cutting grows, promotional plans are ending as higher-margin customers are pursued.

eMarketer forecasting analyst Eric Haggstrom in the report also argues rising programming costs for cable, satellite and telco operators makes it increasingly difficult to to turn a profit while providing pay TV subscriptions.

"Their answer has been to raise prices across the board, and it seems that they are willing to lose customers rather than retain them with unprofitable deals," he wrote in the report

contact with comcast ends in 2020...after that im just stick with internet...foh with their promotions and other bs that don't benefit the consumer...
+1   

14 hrs ago '09        #74
messy marv stan 5477 heat pts5477 OP
space
space
$74,859 | Props total: 130300 130300
 Good Guy Ry said
So you saying you pay 220 because of a 45 second delay. . .

Y'all just be giving money away.

the free streams i use have maybe a 5 second delay at most and might freeze once or twice an hour
+1   

14 hrs ago '17        #75
WizardsFan85 
space
space
space
 RdGZkP said
My IPTV has every single regional sports network as well. There are options out there if you just do the research. Comcast gets $50 from me a month for basic cable and Internet. Pay between$10-20 for IPTV and get every single channel available..

For someone to willingly pay over $200 because of a delay shows they care way more about social media than they should. If you can see the same game everyone else sees 20x cheaper than most n refuse because of a short delay that's wild. Now if the quality of the stream was bad than it's understandable but you get a great HD stream for the cost of just an HD box rental from the cable company.
+1   

Join bx

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  16
Thugga Said He Would Have Been Killed Lucci If It Wasn't For His Mom and Kids
196 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  14
AT&T Is Losing a TV Customer Every 10 Seconds & Comcast Loses 1.7 Subscribers ..
65 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+83online now  12
Tinashe lamenting her failed career
226 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+31online now  8
Wesley Snipes will break silence on Blade triology drama rumors