NORE gettin' a call from Jay Z, after this... sayin: No Biggie, No Jayz

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
33 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 weeks ago '19        #51
sensational 
space
space
space
Props total: 589 589  Slaps total: 44 44
 Therkiteckt said
Lil Zane Bit Pac style
Angelous Bit Jays style
Gorilla Black But Bigs style...(atleast on a few tracks)
I don't hear Jay and think Biggie... Ever. He gives it up for his boy but he never tried to sound like Big.
This how I feel

2 weeks ago '13        #52
jjwms33 
space
space
space
Props total: 3182 3 K  Slaps total: 783 783
 EastAfrican said
BIG dropped LAD when he was oly 24. . n*ggas today in they 40's aint touchin' that.
Damn
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #53
ItsThatEasy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 12249 12 K  Slaps total: 981 981
There's a middle ground here.

Jay is my favorite rapper of all time after 'Pac, but I can acknowledge his flaws.

1. He did not RAP like Biggie. If you hear a Biggie verse then hear a Hov verse and come away thinking they have the same style (flow, cadence, perspective, etc.) then I would say you're just blindly hating on Jay.

2. Jay-Z absolutely bit Big's rap MOVES. And you can blame it on Dame, Biggs, Diddy, etc. but all the moves the Roc made weren't THAT unique, they were retreads of Bad Boy's moves which makes sense since Puff was involved.

Getting features outside of NY (Bone Thugs, Too Short, UGK) absolutely came from the Biggie/Bad Boy/Puff playbook.

Just like pulling in big name producers for solo albums wasn't a Hov idea but he perfected it and gets majority of the credit for it.

He influenced fashion, but never because he introduced anything particularly NEW, he just did it better than others or swerved in direct opposition to the current trends. Telling people to put away their throwback jersey's wasn't necessarily creative, but he made it his own. Just like when big clothes were in style Roc-a-Wear wasn't really the most innovative, they were just the cool cousins of FUBU, Iceberg, etc.

Hov is the best student of the game of all time. As a rapper there's only ONE Jay-Z, no matter how many Big lines he bit. But he structured his career off the moves of others, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

2 weeks ago '07        #54
A-L-P 
space
space
space
Props total: 4674 4 K  Slaps total: 526 526
 stogz said
Jay was NOT creative.

Jay got the co-sign from Big on the first album. Then got on Puff's album and on Big's album. It's Bad Boy who gave him the co-sign for the industry to recognize him.

Bad Boy did half of Jay's second album... can't remember if it was 7 of 15 tracks, or 8 of the tracks. Jay wore the shiny suit and had his first commercial success with his second album.

Pretty much EVERY feature Big did or Bad Boy did... Jay went and soon got those same artist to do music with. JAy gave up rapping fast due to Nas' success. Then when Big did that track with Bone Thugs, all-of-a-sudden Jay started doing that sh*t again. It was just odd how quickly Jay was doing tracks with Lil' Kim and Too Short, R.Kelly, etc. IT's not like eastcoast guys were rushing to do these kinds of features before Big. Kanye said it "I did a song with coldplay, then jay did a song with coldplay". That's what Jay does.

Then the already mentioned... how often he spit Big's lyrics. Then that "Black Album" idea, that was Big's idea. Big had Kim, Jay tried to recruit Foxy. the Firm, for the Fam... all trying to cash in on Big's idea "The Commission". Brooklyn Mint? Jay was Big's child. Jay has a lot of fathers actually... seeing as how his name isn't even his own. JAy isn't Mike Jordan, he's kobe bryant.

Jay got the co-sign from Big on the first album. Then got on Puff's album and on Big's album. It's Bad Boy who gave him the co-sign for the industry to recognize him.
Are you criticizing him for getting a co-sign? If so, isn't that how the industry works in general?

Then when Big did that track with Bone Thugs, all-of-a-sudden Jay started doing that sh*t again.
Jay was rapping fast on Dead Presidents, Can't Knock the Hustle, and Can I Kick It on Reasonable Doubt.

What Jay-Z song after Big's death do you know for sure was inspired by Notorious Thugs?

Nas has a song where he's rapping entirely in double time on the first solo album he released after Big's death? He's never really rapped double time before or after that. Was that inspired by Notorious Thugs?

It was just odd how quickly Jay was doing tracks with Lil' Kim and Too Short, R.Kelly, etc. IT's not like eastcoast guys were rushing to do these kinds of features before Big.
Nas had a whole video and song with R Kelly in 96', a song with Dr Dre in 96' and started working on the Firm joint with Dre while Big was still alive.

And Jay was collaborating with Lil Kim while Big was alive. He wrote Kim's verse and was featured on a song from her first album. Dude was considered a Bad Boy affiliate while Big was alive and they were both working on Puff's first album.

Big had Kim, Jay tried to recruit Foxy. the Firm, for the Fam... all trying to cash in on Big's idea "The Commission".
I don't know if you don't remember but most hip hop labels at the time were always looking for their "1st lady". Makaveli Records had Storm from the Outlawz, Hypnotize Mindz had Gangsta Boo, No Limit had Mia X, So-So Def had Da Brat, Ruff Ryders had Eve, and death Row had Lady of Rage.

Bad Boy did half of Jay's second album... can't remember if it was 7 of 15 tracks, or 8 of the tracks.
It was like 3

Last edited by A-L-P; 01-12-2020 at 11:07 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '07        #55
A-L-P 
space
space
space
Props total: 4674 4 K  Slaps total: 526 526
 EastAfrican said
Thats why Raekwon had a problem wit him? Cuz he thought BIG was bitin him or somethin? I remember hearin something about that...my memory lil blurry tho
Yeah, and they also talked about hos Nas had the child photo on his album in 94' and then Big had the baby on his album cover that same year. The people involved in the album said the original idea of Ready to Die was to make a short length raw album like Illmatic, so he was obviously influenced by Nas (and Nas was obviously influence by Big as well for his post Illmatic don image).

He was accused of biting a lot of people while he was alive. Pac, King Tee, Heavy D, and death Row.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #56
Fameus 
space
space
Props total: 7767 7 K  Slaps total: 1872 1 K
 jaynat603 said
He ran with Big's style up to a point he bit every three rhymes off Big's whole discography. Start off with real n*ggas do real things which was in unreleased track @ the time off of in my lifetime vol. 1 then he started taking rhymes from kane, big L, Cam'ron (check out SDE) and many others just to mask the biting he did using Big rhymes from vol 2 to Magna Carter and didn't even say one word to Ms. Wallace calling it a homage but didn't drop a check her way nor check on her well being. Sometimes you have to say fu*k rap and put it to the side if that's your friend tho. Jay been a insecure fraud, he's just been surrounding himself with powerful people over the years being smart about it and using his "inner circle" i.e Bleek, Tah Tah, etc. as if they his day ones as a front. No honor amongst thieves
How do you know what he has and hasnt done? You just sound so bitter its seriously just sad.
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #57
EastAfrican  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12 OP
space
space
Props total: 16546 16 K  Slaps total: 3040 3 K
 ItsThatEasy said

2. Jay-Z absolutely bit Big's rap MOVES. And you can blame it on Dame, Biggs, Diddy, etc. but all the moves the Roc made weren't THAT unique, they were retreads of Bad Boy's moves which makes sense since Puff was involved.

Getting features outside of NY (Bone Thugs, Too Short, UGK) absolutely came from the Biggie/Bad Boy/Puff playbook.
I dont know who said it exactly but i remember hearin that Jay used to ask random questions about Nas, and how he did certain songs etc.

Jay would ask producers or studio engineers or n*ggaz that used to be in the studio wit Nas, to give him Nas unreleased songs n sh*t like that, and he would listen to that sh*t in his crib n study.

2 weeks ago '19        #58
Tweezy 
space
space
Props total: 6383 6 K  Slaps total: 1568 1 K
Jay woulda been around no matter what....he is to talented and to smart not to be, however he fit nicely in the vacancy that was left in hip-hop when Tupac and biggie were k*lled so he used that to his advantage and became a bigger name....so definitely Jay would still be Jay but not as big a star

2 weeks ago '19        #59
Tweezy 
space
space
Props total: 6383 6 K  Slaps total: 1568 1 K
 EastAfrican said
I dont know who said it exactly but i remember hearin that Jay used to ask random questions about Nas, and how he did certain songs etc.

Jay would ask producers or studio engineers or n*ggaz that used to be in the studio wit Nas, to give him Nas unreleased songs n sh*t like that, and he would listen to that sh*t in his crib n study.
I don't know if this is true but if it is that's smart......

2 weeks ago '16        #60
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
Props total: 3831 3 K  Slaps total: 1029 1 K
Big said the only rapper he was "worried about" was Jigga.

2 weeks ago '18        #61
ItsThatEasy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 12249 12 K  Slaps total: 981 981
 EastAfrican said

He's more Kobe than Jordan like somebody else already said. Elite student of the game who did everything possible to put himself in a position to win. Big didn't have a full career like Jordan though, which is why NBA comps usually never tell the whole story.

2 weeks ago '18        #62
EastAfrican  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12 OP
space
space
Props total: 16546 16 K  Slaps total: 3040 3 K
 Tweezy said
I don't know if this is true but if it is that's smart......
 ItsThatEasy said
He's more Kobe than Jordan like somebody else already said. Elite student of the game who did everything possible to put himself in a position to win. Big didn't have a full career like Jordan though, which is why NBA comps usually never tell the whole story.
I looked it up, it was Nas's babymother who said that.
she said that when she was with Jay he’d ask her weird questions about her and Nas, like what positions Nas liked to hit, and weird stuff… she said Jay-Z was obsessed with Nas

she said in Jay’s Manhattan appartment Jay had a huge vinyl collection of rare Nas singles and sh*t.

2 weeks ago '19        #63
Boxedin1 
space
space
space
Props total: 362 362  Slaps total: 79 79
 stogz said
Jay was NOT creative.

Bad Boy did half of Jay's second album... can't remember if it was 7 of 15 tracks, or 8 of the tracks. Jay wore the shiny suit and had his first commercial success with his second album.

Pretty much EVERY feature Big did or Bad Boy did... Jay went and soon got those same artist to do music with. JAy gave up rapping fast due to Nas' success. Then when Big did that track with Bone Thugs, all-of-a-sudden Jay started doing that sh*t again. It was just odd how quickly Jay was doing tracks with Lil' Kim and Too Short, R.Kelly, etc. IT's not like eastcoast guys were rushing to do these kinds of features before Big. Kanye said it "I did a song with coldplay, then jay did a song with coldplay". That's what Jay does.

Then the already mentioned... how often he spit Big's lyrics. Then that "Black Album" idea, that was Big's idea. Big had Kim, Jay tried to recruit Foxy. the Firm, for the Fam... all trying to cash in on Big's idea "The Commission". Brooklyn Mint? Jay was Big's child. Jay has a lot of fathers actually... seeing as how his name isn't even his own. JAy isn't Mike Jordan, he's kobe bryant.
The original Mr. Metoo

2 weeks ago '15        #64
METABaron 
space
space
Props total: 2634 2 K  Slaps total: 754 754
 A-L-P said
I can think of over 10 examples off the top where Big either mimicked other rapper's style, imagery, or quoted their lines. Big did a whole interview in 95' where he literally said he's cool with "biting".
Exactly Bro.

Big literally remade Schooly D’s PSK record and most of Ready To Die was Big doing an impersonation of Live and Let Die Era G Rap and some Slick Rick in there.

Boxden’s hate for Hov is comical to me at this point, when Em and Nas flip a Rakim line its an homage. When Jay Z (the only Rapper Big enough to ensure Biggie’s legacy remained pristine with love and respect, moreso than Puff) shows on every album how instrumental Big was to NY Rap, which Big’s kids and mom got paid on he a d*ck rider and fraud. Literally no one here serving as a detractor has addressed Ms. Wallace’s comment about him. Is she a liar because y’all arguments is trash?
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #65
fortune1586 
space
space
Props total: 110 110  Slaps total: 82 82
 EastAfrican said
And you know damn well he was

Jay the goat wave rider, from ridin' the shiny suit era wit Mase and them to that grimey street sh*t wit DMX. Jay was never the leader of any era, just a follower, but somehow he survived them all, longevity.
been reading these comments and some of yall just out of line..this the one that struck me tho...the goat wave rider? never leader of any era? fu*k is this n*gga smoking?? jay had his own wave since can i get a..and hard knock life...blueprint jay with the hard knock life tour dvd and blueprint out..HE WAS THE WAVE...def didnt ride x wave at all...he battled the n*gga allegedly won and still made money with him when the time was right..he didnt need x...so no need to continue to make songs with the crackhead..and i love x but that sh*t is silly...no hov with no big? yall wylin..if bleek got his sh*t off with jay then jay was def finna get his sh*t off with big even in the picture....those debut albums sounds different as sh*t and u dont hear jay saying none of bigs rhymes on reasonable doubt..he did it after his homie died...doing that while big was alive may have been biting or taking shots but him bigging up his dead homie lyrics..i mean come on...did he get with puff and bad boy cuz they was big sh*t then so what....its still probably one of the worst albums he made and its still better than most ppl sh*t..yalll never cease to amaze me like what super gangster lyrical sh*t yall lookin for? whats crazy is jay looked more sus when he was s actually dippin in and out of the streets he got on and yall think he a sucker but mostly all the stories that still are surfacing are things of legends...this is the real issue..big died...we will never know...but i know 2 albums against how many hov have no dont add up...he is the goat now...and im talking about money bi*ches hits discography all of that sh*t n*gga...cuz u could bullsh*t with rap if u want mufu*kah
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #66
Capalot 
space
space
space
Props total: 247 247  Slaps total: 84 84
Well said Hov (fortune1586)

2 weeks ago '15        #67
Ace dealer 
space
space
Props total: 30178 30 K  Slaps total: 1964 1 K
 xbossxplayax said
Why is nore talking side of his mouf bout jigga lately? Some else brewing in da background? Was he not invited to one of roc nation brunches or sum?

Being able to set trend should be secondary to music. Jay had a strong co-sign in biggie and the fact that they both repped BK didnt hurt at all, but they had diff lanes. If anything biggie turnt all versace and playa after reese nibbled out and vol. 1 already done painted that silky mafioso imagery first. But jigga looked hella soft and almost like an obedient trainee next to kane, jazo and biggie so ppl’s preconception was that oh that du must be comfortable only when hes second to someone. Even with dame by his side his whole image was that shiny du while dame did all the blabbering. So it took folks by even more a surprise when he somehow turned out to be a powerhouse by hisself after all his mentors and mouthpiece were no longer in the picture. To most folks mind he needed biggie. He needed foxy. He needed puffy. But voila he beat the odds and standing shoulder to shoulder with puffy now. Thats something that doesnt sit right with a lot of ppl i think
Think about it.....

Nore was the 1st nyc rapper to really have a hit with neptunes beats....

2 weeks ago '05        #68
Bigrel 
space
space
Props total: 699 699  Slaps total: 70 70
Biggie- “ When the Remi's in the system, ain't no telling
Will I fu*k em will I diss em, that's what these hoes yelling
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on”

Biggie- “on the road to riches and diamond rings, real n*ggas do real things”

Biggie-“isn’t this great ya flight leaves at 8, her flight lands at 9 my game just rewinds”

Biggie-“a lime to a lemon, my dc women, bringing in coke and heroin”

These is whole bars he plagiarized and spit on his sh*t. How can y’all defend that and say he ain’t get or jack his style from BIG? If he wasn’t from New York he wouldn’t get a pass like that. Show me Scarface, Andre 3000/Big Boi, and E-40 reciting n*ggas lyrics word for word

2 weeks ago '18        #69
Therkiteckt 
space
space
space
Props total: 784 784  Slaps total: 93 93
 AnuthaOne said
youre missing the point totally
jay crafted his identity as a performer grabbing bits and pieces of other performers schtick
he jacked a bunch of sh*t from snoop dogg word for word

but the point brought up earlier
about copying biggies blueprint exactly. foxy to be his kim, the commission, etc
jay that wave rider

The commission was him and Biggie how he steal it from big? Foxy was signed BEFORE Jay Z how she his Kim?... Y'all gotta get these facts straight.
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #70
Therkiteckt 
space
space
space
Props total: 784 784  Slaps total: 93 93
 Bigrel said
Biggie- “ When the Remi's in the system, ain't no telling
Will I fu*k em will I diss em, that's what these hoes yelling
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on”

Biggie- “on the road to riches and diamond rings, real n*ggas do real things”

Biggie-“isn’t this great ya flight leaves at 8, her flight lands at 9 my game just rewinds”

Biggie-“a lime to a lemon, my dc women, bringing in coke and heroin”

These is whole bars he plagiarized and spit on his sh*t. How can y’all defend that and say he ain’t get or jack his style from BIG? If he wasn’t from New York he wouldn’t get a pass like that. Show me Scarface, Andre 3000/Big Boi, and E-40 reciting n*ggas lyrics word for word
He's biggin up his fellow hip-hop God and brooklynite just like fab do to Jay are you serious?

2 weeks ago '16        #71
Djackso2 
space
space
space
Props total: 1072 1 K  Slaps total: 280 280
 AnuthaOne said
youre missing the point totally
jay crafted his identity as a performer grabbing bits and pieces of other performers schtick
he jacked a bunch of sh*t from snoop dogg word for word

but the point brought up earlier
about copying biggies blueprint exactly. foxy to be his kim, the commission, etc
jay that wave rider
Jay changed his style to keep up with the times but so did BIg.

2 weeks ago '16        #72
Soo Special OG 
space
space
space
Props total: 23221 23 K  Slaps total: 4868 4 K

2 weeks ago '04        #73
jaynat603 
space
space
Props total: 2303 2 K  Slaps total: 282 282
 Fameus said
How do you know what he has and hasnt done? You just sound so bitter its seriously just sad.
Worked w/ def jam 2000 to 2003, never bitter it is what it is

Last edited by jaynat603; 01-13-2020 at 06:28 AM..

2 weeks ago '04        #74
Fameus 
space
space
Props total: 7767 7 K  Slaps total: 1872 1 K
 jaynat603 said
Worked w/ def jam 2000 to 2003, never bitter it is what it is
I'll repeat my question since you decided to post your resume. What do you know what he has or hasn't done? You working some place provides NO insight on what he does in his personal life. And you definitely sound bitter. You're just lying to yourself for the sake of your argument. It is what is.

2 weeks ago '04        #75
jaynat603 
space
space
Props total: 2303 2 K  Slaps total: 282 282
 EZ Green said
Foh. NOBODY thought Jay was a biggie clone in ANY way. Not even big. Wtf are you even talking about? And I'm definitely not your youngin bruh. You up in here on some strong bullsh*t
Well he is, hate to hurt your feelings. When I worked w/ def jam surrounded by a bunch of queens cats, the sentiment was the same when groupies that had the same mindset as you at the time hated to be checked but we all was getting money collectively so what to complain about? And if you're under 35, you are a youngin playboi

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  31
Jan 23 - NYC 12 release footage of a bar backout that got deadly
136 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  21
Image(s) inside Jan 23 - Chinese Market Coronavirus Outbreak Sold Live Koalas, Snakes,..
152 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
-41online now  20
Video inside Dam Florida , He's Only 13
136 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  14
Image(s) inside BREAKING: YG ARRESTED AT HIS HOME For FELONY ROBBERY, B4 NIP GRAMMY TR..
94 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy