What's the purpose of powerlifting?

most viewed right now
102 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

1 week ago '17        #26
baku  54 heat pts54
space
space
space
$807 | Props total: 7171 7171
 filleezcustoms said
The point is to get the heaviest weight you can lift over your head.

The 2 lifts are the snatch and clean and jerk.

Athletes are scored on the weight lifted in snatch, then clean and jerk and then the combined total.

It's possible to get 3 gold medals by doing 2 lifts.

Pyrros Dumas went to 5 Olympics doing this sh*t....... that's 20 years of lifting heavier than everyone else on the planet!

Dude was winning too, came in 3rd when he retired.

Open your third eye to all physical activities. One is not better than the other. Any human should be able to do anything another human can do......

What happened to anything you can do, I can do better? Weak a*s bi*ch boys be here complaining instead of leveling up at the gym!

u sound like me 5 years ago lol

take it from someone who literally LIVED in the gym for years.... there's no finish line.. it's a lot of time wasted to be honest

i dont regret it, dont get me wrong... but if i can give u one piece of advice it's that u should stop focusing on numbers and what anyone else is doing

this is me btw

im all natty... and my legs aint sh*t, i nearly lost them to amputation to my cancer, so i can't really train em hard in terms of putting a lotta weight on them>... im far from the biggest dude, but im bigger and better than most.. and know everything there is to know about the gym lifestyle.. including roids cuz most my friends do them
+10   

1 week ago '12        #27
The2ndHorseman  22 heat pts22
space
space
$7,299 | Props total: 13072 13072
 Yaggy said
Powerlifting mad overrated

I'm not superhuman or use any supplements but after a time I had to tell myself chill cause it serves no purpose

Losing flexibility isn't worth the trouble long term
same reason i got out of bodybuilding
realized the purpose of all that sacrifice was basically a male beauty pageant

health and wellness and activity is one thing but some sh*t is just pointless and not worth it , to me at least
+6   

1 week ago '17        #28
baku  54 heat pts54
space
space
space
 The2ndHorseman said

health and wellness and activity is one thing but some sh*t is just pointless and not worth it , to me at least
not to mention how dudes in the gym talk about other dudes' bodies all the time... 'yeah man his delts amazing... fu*k...'

nobody gives a fu*k about what u can do, it's all about how u look.. ;and most of it is genetics anyway... the industry doesnt want u to hear this, cuz they like to preach the "if u work hard enough u can look like this" bullsh*t... which is a flat out lie
+3   

1 week ago '11        #29
squirtofkahlua  1375 heat pts1375
space
space
$11,192 | Props total: 94749 94749

1 week ago '17        #30
PackerTrelli3  2 heat pts2
space
space
$8,303 | Props total: 14376 14376
Nothing wrong with power lifting. Itís for sport. Like world strongest man

Just like asking what the point of those eating competitions.

Power lifting for the most part, is what u see those big guys who arenít solid, or shredded..... but just big and can have more fat On them than a body builder.
+1   

1 week ago '14        #31
TuPadreElGuero  3 heat pts3
space
space
$865 | Props total: 1021 1021
Ehhh I could never get into powerlifting...

I just do calisthenics, kettle-bells and boxing.
+5   

1 week ago '12        #32
duke402  4 heat pts4
space
space
$196 | Props total: 365 365
 baku said
facts on facts..

interesting topic for me.. i literally fell out with one of my homies about this a week ago... not even kidding lmao

the convo basically was about me telling him "dog, the highest goal in one's life should not be to get as big as possible... there's more to life than just going to the gym and the stupid a*s "anabolic window" ...."

and he took it personal ... talking about "if u wanna be a quiter thats on u".... sh*t's crazy.. and i got a crazy physique compared to 99% of people... im literally jacked.. dudes thats familiar with who i am and my channel know this

anyway i recently started changing my perspective.. focusing more on mobility, cardio and low fat.. to me the concept of bulking is the most retarded thing on earth... "lets forcefeed ourselves and eat when were not even hungry so then later on we can starve ourselves for months, only to realise that if you do all this sh*t naturally, you will have only made minimal gains... oh sh*t.. i feel small now that i've cut... time to bulk again" ..

y'all really think the body is cool with constantly going from fat to lean? lol sh*t is stupid man... and im speaking from 10 years of being a wannabe bodybuilder

i'm knee deep in the gym game, im what u call a gym bro, but im 31 now and im starting to see sh*t for what it is.... there's no difference between the physique u can have when u work out 6 times a week or the one you'll have if u hit it 3 times a week...; nobody can tell...

it's a rabbit hole and you're never satisfied.. social media got u thinking if u can't deadlift 200kg for reps you weak.. same with squats and bench... all these dudes is juiced to the limit... and we're looking at them like "oh sh*t i guess i gotta follow suit"

i never met a powerlifter in his 40's that didn't have a fu*ked up lower back or knee issues
Damn Bro!

You just literally explained the last 3 years of my life. Over the last 3 years I got heavy into the bodybuilding game.

I've went from #NoDaysOff after being inspired by @NDOchamp on instagram, hitting a different body part each of the seven days a week. NO SIGNIFICANT GAINS (not to mention he is juiced to the CORE).

I've tried 5 days on 2 days off. Working 1 body-part per day.
I've tried 4 days on 1 day off. Doing bro splits.

I've tried set ranges 20x20x20x20x20 moderate/light weight on all lifts
I've tried set ranges 15x12x10x8x6 moderate/heavy
I've tried set ranges 12x12x12x12x12 moderate/heavy
I've tried powering 8x8x6x4 HEAVY a*s WEIGHT.

After years of lifting my a*s to the dirt literally and figuratively. I found it's all bullsh*t!

During this whole time I stayed relatively:
The same weight relatively (180-200).

And I go through the same damn cycle over and over again.

GET BIG AS POSSIBLE balloon all the way up close to 200lbs look fat feel fat.
Start cutting down to 185-190 feel great for a while decide I look small balloon up again fu*king rinse and repeat.

And this is coming from a exercise science graduate with a minor in nutrition.

I do it all right.....
I count my macros
I prep my food
I sleep no less than 8 hours a day
I eat every 2/3 hours
I drink close to a gallon of water daily

It's all bullsh*t now days I'm working 5 days a week:
3 days of lifting.
Day 1. Legs & Shoulders
Day 2. Back & Biceps
Day 3. Chest & Triceps
Day 4. Boxing (heavy-bag) 1 hour.
Day 5. Boxing (speed-bag double end bag) 1hour.

And I look just as jacked if not bigger than any other combination.

Morale of the story unless your on the JUICE you won't see crazy Gains just a whole lot of wasted time and a sore fu*king back.
+4   

1 week ago '17        #33
baku  54 heat pts54
space
space
space
 duke402 said
Damn Bro!

You just literally explained the last 3 years of my life. Over the last 3 years I got heavy into the bodybuilding game.

I've went from #NoDaysOff after being inspired by @NDOchamp on instagram, hitting a different body part each of the seven days a week. NO SIGNIFICANT GAINS (not to mention he is juiced to the CORE).

I've tried 5 days on 2 days off. Working 1 body-part per day.
I've tried 4 days on 1 day off. Doing bro splits.

I've tried set ranges 20x20x20x20x20 moderate/light weight on all lifts
I've tried set ranges 15x12x10x8x6 moderate/heavy
I've tried set ranges 12x12x12x12x12 moderate/heavy
I've tried powering 8x8x6x4 HEAVY a*s WEIGHT.

After years of lifting my a*s to the dirt literally and figuratively. I found it's all bullsh*t!

During this whole time I stayed relatively:
The same weight relatively (180-200).

And I go through the same damn cycle over and over again.

GET BIG AS POSSIBLE balloon all the way up close to 200lbs look fat feel fat.
Start cutting down to 185-190 feel great for a while decide I look small balloon up again fu*king rinse and repeat.

And this is coming from a exercise science graduate with a minor in nutrition.

I do it all right.....
I count my macros
I prep my food
I sleep no less than 8 hours a day
I eat every 2/3 hours
I drink close to a gallon of water daily

It's all bullsh*t now days I'm working 5 days a week:
3 days of lifting.
Day 1. Legs & Shoulders
Day 2. Back & Biceps
Day 3. Chest & Triceps
Day 4. Boxing (heavy-bag) 1 hour.
Day 5. Boxing (speed-bag double end bag) 1hour.

And I look just as jacked if not bigger than any other combination.

Morale of the story unless your on the JUICE you won't see crazy Gains just a whole lot of wasted time and a sore fu*king back.
haha yup fam... congrats.. u figured it out before it's too late

i spent a big portion of my twenties working out.... im off that now... time to do more usefull sh*t...

most people peak at the age of 22... taht's the biggest / jacked tghey'll ever look.. it's hard to make gains after that age... like REAL gains.... and bulking is wack, once that metabolism slows down... it's a wrap
+1   

1 week ago '15        #34
micropave  2306 heat pts2306
space
space
$9,199 | Props total: 73586 73586
The purpose is picking up heavy sh*t

+2   

1 week ago '16        #35
Yaggy  7 heat pts7
space
space
$3,152 | Props total: 4502 4502
 The2ndHorseman said

Major factoid.

A lot of these guys have enlarged hearts and generally horrible joints.

If prefer that light nimble feeling coupled with strength above the average man.

9/10 times.powerlifters are horribly conditioned for anything besides their targeted exercises

1 week ago '04        #36
Tastemaker331  91 heat pts91
space
space
$43,443 | Props total: 26266 26266
 TuPadreElGuero said
Ehhh I could never get into powerlifting...

I just do calisthenics, kettle-bells and boxing.
Word
Being lean > _____
+1   

1 week ago '17        #37
Lazy  4 heat pts4
space
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 10191 10191
 daman729 said
The human body wasn't meant to lift all that heavy weight for extended periods. Take it from a cat who used to lift heavy. Never lift anything above moderate on a continuous basis. Moderate-heavy at the most. I used to "ego lift" too. Growin up, you want all the muscles and strength. But what alot of people seem to forget is that alot of these lifters(especially the popular ones) be on roids and other PEDS so they afford to lift what the natural man or woman cant.

Atleast with moderate weight you have more control. Liftin all that heavy ridiculous weight can take you out. One slip up and your head could get cracked like a coconut. I've seen things. You can also get joint,bone and other muscle problems later on. It aint worth it.
All of this is solved with training cycles

You don't have to lift heavy all of the time
+1   

1 week ago '17        #38
Lazy  4 heat pts4
space
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 10191 10191
 filleezcustoms said
The point is to get the heaviest weight you can lift over your head.

The 2 lifts are the snatch and clean and jerk.

Athletes are scored on the weight lifted in snatch, then clean and jerk and then the combined total.

It's possible to get 3 gold medals by doing 2 lifts.

Pyrros Dumas went to 5 Olympics doing this sh*t....... that's 20 years of lifting heavier than everyone else on the planet!

Dude was winning too, came in 3rd when he retired.

Open your third eye to all physical activities. One is not better than the other. Any human should be able to do anything another human can do......

What happened to anything you can do, I can do better? Weak a*s bi*ch boys be here complaining instead of leveling up at the gym!

You're going to get slapped because most people don't understand lifting

Then they get injured, weak, or insecure and blame the sport

1 week ago '04        #39
filleezcustoms  3 heat pts3
space
space
$1,751 | Props total: 511 511
 Yaggy said
So as a person w job that doesn't call for physical prowess should I be mad at myself I can't lift 400 once over my head even though i can move 150 25 times w ease.

There's a line that doesn't need crossing.

All I read are excuses for your biases

Why hold back from your true potential?

You could be doing 225 x25 but you set limits rather than continuing your progress
+1   

1 week ago '18        #40
dinono10  2 heat pts2
space
space
space
$490 | Props total: 1197 1197
Weighted pull ups /dips/chins and push ups several times a week. Run.. All I need.

Saying that got a squat rack /olympic bars and weights in the garage. Don't even use them anymore at the moment.

Currently just enjoy doing weighted bodyweight although it could plateau soon unless I keep constantly add weight.
+1   

1 week ago '16        #41
Yaggy  7 heat pts7
space
space
$3,152 | Props total: 4502 4502
 filleezcustoms said
All I read are excuses for your biases

Why hold back from your true potential?

You could be doing 225 x25 but you set limits rather than continuing your progress
I think I already explained myself as much as I found *necessary

It's all a matter of preference.. end of the day if you're active and diet properly that's all that matters. There has to be balance for other things for someone like me.

I value mental exercise as much as physical

1 week ago '14        #42
Swade009  95 heat pts95
space
space
space
$11,356 | Props total: 9813 9813
 strungout said
@2:15

nobody checked on this guy for a good 15 seconds, he could have died

They slowly walked up to him like who gives a fu*k about this "****** right here" no panic or anything
+1   

1 week ago '16        #43
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
$2,341 | Props total: 2953 2953
That's Olympic lifting, it's one of the most explosive exercises. When you do the clean & jerk and snatch, you are really jumping in the air.

+2   

1 week ago '17        #44
bvali  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$424 | Props total: 1593 1593
 Aries said
That's not powerlifting, it's weightlifting and it's an Olympic Sport.

This is her now

+1   

1 week ago '14        #45
Bigboi781  30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$4,660 | Props total: 4311 4311
I used. To love lifting heavy. Unfortunately can't anymore. Back gave out when I tried squatting only 135. Going to find another way, super young too so it's frustrating
+1   

1 week ago '09        #46
faceoffizhere 
space
space
$5,041 | Props total: 1091 1091
 dinono10 said
Weighted pull ups /dips/chins and push ups several times a week. Run.. All I need.

Saying that got a squat rack /olympic bars and weights in the garage. Don't even use them anymore at the moment.

Currently just enjoy doing weighted bodyweight although it could plateau soon unless I keep constantly add weight.
Modify your workouts and add some hiit. Also start working them legs again
+1   

1 week ago '05        #47
liljay251  109 heat pts109
space
space
space
$2,446 | Props total: 4172 4172
 LuxuriousGreen said
ď O...MY...GODĒ ol girl is hilarious
i felt bad about laughing at her
+1   

1 week ago '17        #48
WHATEVERMAN 
space
space
$949 | Props total: 3294 3294
 daman729 said
The human body wasn't meant to lift all that heavy weight for extended periods. Take it from a cat who used to lift heavy. Never lift anything above moderate on a continuous basis. Moderate-heavy at the most. I used to "ego lift" too. Growin up, you want all the muscles and strength. But what alot of people seem to forget is that alot of these lifters(especially the popular ones) be on roids and other PEDS so they afford to lift what the natural man or woman cant.

Atleast with moderate weight you have more control. Liftin all that heavy ridiculous weight can take you out. One slip up and your head could get cracked like a coconut. I've seen things. You can also get joint,bone and other muscle problems later on. It aint worth it.
Agreed. The other thing that novices don't understand is that you develop faster when you train with weight that allows you to maintain correct posture and form through the motion. These things create better contractions and mitigate the potential for injury. There's a fine line between training your muscles and just hurting them. It's best to move up in weight naturally as the lower weights fail to produce adequate resistance.
+1   

1 week ago '06        #49
Be Easy  3 heat pts3
space
space
$3,458 | Props total: 8306 8306
as long as i can throw a bi*ch in the bed im good

and get a n*gga off me

n*ggas doing 3 a days like a professional athlete to work at staples

not the staples center
+2   

1 week ago '10        #50
MrTripleDouble 
space
space
$3,462 | Props total: 4462 4462
 daman729 said

Spot on, I used to be crazy in my 20's. I used to be the guy at 24 hr fitness Dead lifting/squatting 550lbs. I had a max bench of 365 for 3 reps. I was the strongest guy at the gym. Worked out 4 days a week for 2-3 hrs. During that time I herniated my lower disk a few times, surprisingly not from from dead lifting (had good form) but from stiff legged dead lifts and bent over rows. I used by lower back too much on the launch 1 set and heard a pop. Since that moment, if my form wasn't perfect I would always tweak it. Haven't lifting heavy in 5 years. The hernia has "healed" but if I sit too long or lay down too long, it could get stiff and achy. I would T bar row 300lbs, shrug 120lb dumbbells for reps, just to name a few. My traps, rhomboid minor and major can get achy if my sleep posture is off. I can wake up very stiff and sore to where turning my head can cause tenderness. I was just a regular guy doing this, not a pro. I didn't stretch much, no ice baths, deep tissues massages, no treatment, no roids, no test, very few supplements, solid diet, good cardio though. I'm in my 30's now and feeling it, joints can ache and crack a lot. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage. I still work out but only moderate weight. I have given up my beloved dead lift and any bent over exercises that put stress on the lower back and if I do push it, I have to stretch before and after and use light to moderate weight.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+66online now  35
Itís messed up how true this is
33 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  26
Image(s) inside This house in Seattle is $640,000