the charter/spectrum cable cartel hikes extortion fees on victims starting in october

most viewed right now
29 comments @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

3 weeks ago '09        #1
846 page views
6 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$75,663 | Props total: 134279 134279
the charter/spectrum cable cartel hikes extortion fees on victims starting in october

visit this link https://stopthecap.com/20 .. t-94-cable-tv/

Charter Spectrum TV customers will pay at least $94 a month for cable television starting this October, thanks to a sweeping rate increase that will hike the cost of TV packages, internet service, equipment, and fees. Internet customers will soon face a base price for internet service of just under $70 a month.

Cord Cutters News quotes an anonymous source that claims the rate increases will begin in October, and will impact just about every plan except phone service.

The most striking increase is the Broadcast TV Fee, charged to recover the costs imposed by local TV channels. After increasing the price by $2 earlier this year to $11.99, Spectrum customers will now be required to pay $13.50 a month ó almost $1.50 more. The Broadcast TV Fee alone will soon amount to $162 a year, just to watch TV stations you can receive over the air for free. Just a year ago, the average Spectrum customer paid a Broadcast TV Fee of $8.75 a month.

A Spectrum receiver is considered required by most customers, and starting this fall, it will cost $7.99 a month to lease one (up about $0.50 a month).

Cable TV packages are also getting more expensive:

Spectrum TV Select: $72.49 a month (was $64.99 a month)
Spectrum TV Silver: $92.49 (was $84.99)
Spectrum TV Gold: $112.49 (was $104.99)

Internet customers will not escape Charterís rate hikes either. The entry-level package ó Spectrum Standard Internet (100 or 200 Mbps in some areas), will increase $4 a month to $69.99. If you use Spectrumís equipment for Wi-Fi service, your price is increasing $5 a month to $75.99.

Although the rate increases are significant, they are not outlandish when compared with the regular internet-only prices charged by other cable providers:

Comcast: 150 Mbps (a 1 TB cap applied in most areas) costs $80 plus $13 gateway rental fee = $93/mo

Cox: 150 Mbps (a 1 TB cap applies in most areas) is priced at $84 a month plus $11 modem rental fee = $95/mo

Mediacom: 100 Mbps (a 1 TB cap applies) costs $95 a month plus $11.50 modem rental fee = $106.50/mo

Note: Gateway/Modem Rental Fee can be waived if you purchase your own equipment. Prices are lower when bundling, and you may get a better deal threatening to cancel or agreeing to a term plan.

One Wall Street analyst, New Streetís Jonathan Chaplin, predicted in 2017 that the cable industry would use its market power to nearly double rates consumers paid just a few years ago, which for most would mean an internet bill of at least $100 a month.

ďimage We have argued that broadband is underpriced, given that pricing has barely increased over the past decade while broadband utility has exploded,Ē the researcher said in 2017

Customers should watch their September bills for Charter Spectrumís official rate increase notification. Customers on promotional or retention plans are exempt from increases except the Broadcast TV Fee and equipment charges until their promotion expires.

Customers that bundle multiple services will pay slightly lower prices as a result of bundling discounts, but the overall price increase will still be noticeable to most customers.

Cord-cutting is likely to accelerate dramatically because of Spectrumís TV rate hikes, as customers reassess the value of a basic cable television package that is nearing $100 a month
+3   

best
worst
6 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
shawnsprings818 
space
space
space
$2 | Props total: 3 3
Spectrum has been inflating their prices for years and sadly I was a long time client until recently. I was paying for a bundle for medium tier cable package and internet for $125(LA). My lazy a*s paid for modem fees for years when I could have just bought one on my own and that was an extra unnecessary fee.

I use to pay $100 before the increase and bi*ched at them constantly for the sudden price increase. I gave them an ultimatum, keep me with a discounted grandfathered price or lose me, and they wouldn't budge. So I said fck it, dropped their a*ses, found a local small internet company for $35 a month(after taxes) with faster internet speed , bought my own modem and just started streaming. Best decision ever.

With that being said, I have a roku and apple tv. I messed around with the firestick a few years back before Kodi blew up and would like to have something similar to that again. I"ve been out of that stream game for a while, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #3
pippen33 
space
space
space
$329 | Props total: 601 601
the sh*t that sucks is they can raise wifi/internet prices to whatever they want and people have to pay because there is no alternative. Its even worst if you live in an area with only 1 service provider
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #4
BlaqThum 
space
space
$488 | Props total: 2358 2358
 shawnsprings818 said
Spectrum has been inflating their prices for years and sadly I was a long time client until recently. I was paying for a bundle for medium tier cable package and internet for $125(LA). My lazy a*s paid for modem fees for years when I could have just bought one on my own and that was an extra unnecessary fee.

I use to pay $100 before the increase and bi*ched at them constantly for the sudden price increase. I gave them an ultimatum, keep me with a discounted grandfathered price or lose me, and they wouldn't budge. So I said fck it, dropped their a*ses, found a local small internet company for $35 a month(after taxes) with faster internet speed , bought my own modem and just started streaming. Best decision ever.

With that being said, I have a roku and apple tv. I messed around with the firestick a few years back before Kodi blew up and would like to have something similar to that again. I"ve been out of that stream game for a while, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Who did you switch to for internet... Iím in the IE looking for better speeds but not going to take the hit to the poccets
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #5
Mr Tibbs 
space
space
$270 | Props total: 611 611
Comcast started this sh*t a few years ago in Chicago.

5 days ago '07        #6
kidmakaveli 
space
space
$5,194 | Props total: 1683 1683
 shawnsprings818 said

Who did u switch to?

Cuz Iím literally in the same boat and looking
+1   

2 days ago '05        #7
tokinjohn  3030 heat pts3030
space
space
$19,234 | Props total: 95316 95316
 shawnsprings818 said

Yeah who did you switch to and are they in Inglewood? Got AT&T for a day or two and sh*t was to slow cuz im too far from the hub...went back to Spectrum...I doubt anything is faster I get speeds over 400 now...they upped the speeds about 6 months ago but you had to get new equipment (a internet box & a separate wifi box) to get these speeds...plz let me know who you went with for that deal you got...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+40online now  31
Video inside Da Baby getting in touch with his Nigerian roots
110 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  29
Image(s) inside Is 2k for real with this one?
11 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  22
Image(s) inside Adidas Yeezy 350 V2 'Cloud White' + 'Reflective' (Sept)
14 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+19online now  4
Image(s) inside What makes this funny is Burr said worse sh-t and went harder after mo..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy