Returnal: DF Review (Rendered at 1080p temporal reconstruct, checkboard pass to 4k)

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
16 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 weeks ago '04        #1
1842 page views
111 comments

Wawdy24 
Props total: 7544 7 K  Slaps total: 3392 3 K
Returnal: DF Review (Rendered at 1080p temporal reconstruct, checkboard pass to 4k)

"Before we talk metrics, it's really got to be stressed that Housemarque is pushing the new GPU hard. Really hard. The game's visual make-up is based on a density of effects that demands some level of compromise elsewhere in the pipeline. Sony advertises this title by saying it's running at a dynamic 4K - a catch-all term it has used for all manner of upscaling solutions of varying levels of quality. At its heart, Returnal operates at a relatively low internal resolution, then uses a couple of techniques to boost the quality of the output. This starts with temporal reconstruction to 1440p, followed by a checkerboarding pass to deliver a 2160p output.

The end result is a presentation that looks better than the native 1080p pixel counts that tend to emerge from untreated geometry, but this can't really pass as a full-blooded 4K presentation, dynamic or otherwise - especially on certain textures with high specularity, such as wet ground and water surfaces, where you can sometimes see an obvious moire pattern. Image quality in general can sometimes look a little fuzzy or grainy in motion too, owing to the TAA upscaling and checkerboarding."

"After checking in Housemarque, we got some answers: the PlayStation 5's RT hardware is used to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system and not used for direct visual results. A similar system is used in Nvidia's RTXGI, so I'll be curious if this technology is repurposed in some way for Returnal - RTXGI is a part of Unreal Engine 4 now. Housemarque also shared that the hardware RT system in PlayStation 5 is also used to take the 3D audio in Returnal to the next level: audio environment queries are accelerated with hardware ray tracing support."

"But looking at the game's visual make-up, the compromise is worth it - especially when considering the final component that works so well for the game: the fact that it's running at 60 frames per second. A high frame-rate is essential for this kind of game, and performance in Returnal is generally great - but not quite perfect. There can be slight stutters in general traversal, while there can also be area-dependent hits to frame-rate when the particle effects really kick in. Even so, we're still in 50-60fps territory here, with 60fps generally the standard. As such, the drops are visible when they happens, but not in a way that will unduly impact your enjoyment of the game. However, this does highlight that variable refresh rate display support at the system level really is needed for PlayStation 5. It would smooth out all of the (minor) issues I encountered when playing the game totally."

visit this link https://www.eurogamer.net .. te-housemarque

I told EVERYONE the PS5 does RT on the Compute Units. It is a "software-based system" (From Housemarque's own words).

The 3d Audio uses 1 compute unit, this was outlined by the guy (Rosario Leonardi) who was bashed by every Sony fanboy in the World (despite being the Principal Graphics Engineer at Sony Interactive Entertainment in Europe).

The frame rate drops seem to not be that bad, but are noticeable. This is why VRR (Variable Rate Refresh) is so important this gen. Hopefully Sony can make this happen soon as it is hurting the final output.

So... it is not 4k60 with RT. It is 1080p60 (With Frame Drops) using Temporal Reconstruction and a Checkerboard Pass to output a resolution of 4k (and not even considered Dynamic 4k at that (even though Sony is advertising it as that), with CU based Ray Tracing (That is actually only a Global Illumination Technique). All this info from this one game puts everything in line with what I have been saying about the hardware.

As for the game itself... if I owned a PS5, I would be playing this game day 1.

NPC (From a year ago) looking better than the Main Character in Returnal... for all you haters out there!

best
worst
111 comments

2 weeks ago '05        #2
Chuck_Remixed  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 15357 15 K  Slaps total: 640 640
Great!. Is there a problem? Masterful reconstruction technique. Creates a great final image quality on a 4k screen.
+7   

2 weeks ago '17        #3
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 63504 63 K  Slaps total: 19098 19 K
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
Woodwin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7186 7 K  Slaps total: 676 676
Wasn’t there already a returnal DF thread? Thought they put out another video
+5   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
CrAkKedOuT 
Props total: 22992 22 K  Slaps total: 3760 3 K
Sound like some great use of techniques to produce an amazing experience.
+8   

2 weeks ago '20        #6
D1dnt read 
Props total: 17786 17 K  Slaps total: 4091 4 K
dynamic 4k/60fps like most games coming out now on both PS5 and XsX

OP desperate to make it seem like it looks bad like halo yet this game's been praised for its visuals whereas halo was sh*tted on for theirs as always, devs that work on sony games are just more talented than MS devs
+8   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
Chuck_Remixed  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 15357 15 K  Slaps total: 640 640
 Woodwin said
Wasn’t there already a returnal DF thread? Thought they put out another video
Yep, there's another thread on page 1.
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #8
TreZ 
Props total: 6570 6 K  Slaps total: 1751 1 K
 CrAkKedOuT said
Sound like some great use of techniques to produce an amazing experience.
yup ops a fool
+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #9
 Woodwin said
Wasnít there already a returnal DF thread? Thought they put out another video
Yea but I didnít lace the OP with slander so we gotta suffer thru this one lol
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #10
Wawdy24  OP
 D1dnt read said
dynamic 4k/60fps like most games coming out now on both PS5 and XsX

OP desperate to make it seem like it looks bad like halo yet this game's been praised for its visuals whereas halo was sh*tted on for theirs as always, devs that work on sony games are just more talented than MS devs
No, I was describing what I have been saying since last June. You all said i was wrong... looks like I was 100% correct.

The fact this is what you got out of the OP goes to show just how one sided your view is. It is NOT 4k60 Dynamic... It is 1080p60 (with frame drops and an old Global Illumination trick they are calling Ray Tracing). With a Main Character looking worse than an NPC (Craig) in Halo Infinite, who you frequently posted all throughout the Summer.

Last edited by Wawdy24; 04-30-2021 at 07:25 PM..

2 weeks ago '12        #11
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 164691 164 K  Slaps total: 9798 9 K
I'm headed to the 4th boss on my CX right now, took a break to roll something up and honestly the game looks fu*king amazing to me

Anyone experiencing 'hitching' and skips try making sure you installed the 10gb patch. It didn't automatically install for me, I had to go to the downloads menu and hit "install"

It does drop from time to time but honestly I don't even give a sh*t.

This games firmly seated in the spot of GOTY for me until something comes along and knocks it off
+8   

2 weeks ago '13        #12
ma chis mo 
Props total: 5834 5 K  Slaps total: 427 427
 Wawdy24 said
No, I was describing what I have been saying since last June. You all said i was wrong... looks like I was 100% correct.

The fact this is what you got out of the OP goes to show just how one sided your view is. It is NOT 4k60 Dynamic... It is 1080p60 (with frame drops and an old Global Illumination trick they are calling Ray Tracing). With a Main Character looking worse than an NPC (Craig) in Hal Infinite, who you frequently posted all throughout the Summer.
Flight simulator
+5   

2 weeks ago '20        #13
D1dnt read 
 Wawdy24 said

The fact this is what you got out of the OP goes to show just how one sided your view is. It is NOT 4k60 Dynamic... It is 1080p60 (with frame drops and an old Global Illumination trick they are calling Ray Tracing). With a Main Character looking worse than an NPC (Craig) in Hal Infinite, who you frequently posted all throughout the Summer.

that's cause I didn't read 99% of ur OP given the fact that u've been wrong for the past year with 99% of everything u said

the main character doesn't look close to being as bad as craig or else the reviews wouldn't all be praising the visuals

I don't care what techniques they used as long as the end result looks great unlike halo
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #14
KURUPTION!!! 
Props total: 4074 4 K  Slaps total: 296 296
We all knew Native 4K/60 wasn't happening, at this point I wish people would stop saying it because DF always comes with the real. Game is still gorgeous and runs smooth as silk. That's all that matters. No one should care if it's native 4K or not. especially not the average consumer.
+5   

2 weeks ago '05        #15
Woodwin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7186 7 K  Slaps total: 676 676
 SPdaGOAT said
Yea but I didnít lace the OP with slander so we gotta suffer thru this one lol
Lmaooo
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #16
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 164691 164 K  Slaps total: 9798 9 K
 KURUPTION!!! said
We all knew Native 4K/60 wasn't happening, at this point I wish people would stop saying it because DF always comes with the real. Game is still gorgeous and runs smooth as silk. That's all that matters. No one should care if it's native 4K or not. especially not the average consumer.
Bruh I spent all year saying the real target should be 1440P + All the effects turned up to the max.

The Demon Souls remake proved me right
+8   

2 weeks ago '07        #17
Itzike 
Props total: 2374 2 K  Slaps total: 144 144
Acting like all that technical sh*t sells games. Good games sells games.
+11   

2 weeks ago '04        #18
Wawdy24  OP
 Itzike said
Acting like all that technical sh*t sells games. Good games sells games.
Not disagreeing. I'm stating the obvious, and proving the people on here who said I was wrong, incorrect.

I threw the Meme photo in to p*ss off the Sony Fanboys who used Craig for the last 13 months. It goes to show you, as long as the gameplay is great... IT WILL NOT MATTER.

And true to my point, @ did not disappoint with his usual oblivious posts

2 weeks ago '20        #19
D1dnt read 
 Wawdy24 said
Not disagreeing. I'm stating the obvious, and proving the people on here who said I was wrong, incorrect.

I threw the Meme photo in to p*ss off the Sony Fanboys who used Craig for the last 13 months. It goes to show you, as long as the gameplay is great... IT WILL NOT MATTER.

And true to my point, @ did not disappoint with his usual oblivious posts

don't be mad at me just cause u and that fat a*s Jeff GrubHub the only ones trying to talk sh*t about this critically acclaimed game
+3   

2 weeks ago '20        #20
Christ Like 
Props total: 5761 5 K  Slaps total: 4413 4 K
another terrible thread

Last edited by Christ Like; 04-30-2021 at 08:01 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #21
precys  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 20750 20 K  Slaps total: 2329 2 K
that Craig meme really pissed you off

Last edited by precys; 04-30-2021 at 09:29 PM..
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #22
Oh boy
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #23
snaxxx 
Props total: 5045 5 K  Slaps total: 770 770
The game looks amazing even if it’s not native 4K ... if the joint can hit dynamic 4K and gimme 60fps I’m happy AF .... your average consumer will never care about these technicalities .... MFers ain’t gonna pull up to the screen and start counting pixels. This is why Sony has been winning and will continue to WIN.... over the years they given QUALITY games that LOOK amazing during the time it came out .... and this trend will continue .... insert Returnal .... Ratchet next
Etc etc etc .....
+3   

2 weeks ago '20        #24
D1dnt read 
 precys said
that Craig meme really pissed you off

edit:

and based off your immediate slap, i guess you can't take a joke either lmao you really are a little bi*ch

dude been desperately waiting since july hoping he could compare something on the PS side to Craig
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #25
xastey 
Props total: 7861 7 K  Slaps total: 609 609
Don't give a fu*k if it's true 4k or not.. on my 4k tv it looks fu*king wonderful.
+3   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+70online now  14
Video inside Would you pay for it? Tijuana prices
301 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  12
Image(s) inside Share Your Crypto Portfolio
119 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+31online now  11
Video inside Transformer c*cked and loaded with the receipts on shiesty
301 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+81online now  9
May 11 - My nucca got in to fender bender and started nuccing nuccas the fu-k ..
298 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy