Just got the new Nvidia Shield TV...Now What?

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 week ago '05        #1
324 page views
16 comments

R4P 
space
space
Props total: 1362 1 K  Slaps total: 230 230
Just got the new Nvidia Shield TV...Now What?

BX your boy needs help!

Im unfamiliar with android apps and this, i wanna be able to watch any movies, tv, f*ghts etc the works

I also wanna be able to play N64 games and other (newer?) games

Please recommend your favorite apps, PM if needed
+2   

best
worst
16 comments

1 week ago '14        #2
Falcons88 
space
space
Props total: 3586 3 K  Slaps total: 523 523
A simple YouTube search will get you started brother
+1   

1 week ago '05        #3
R4P  OP
space
space
 Falcons88 said
A simple YouTube search will get you started brother
Im hip.

I have been youtube/googling since yesterday.

Got Kodi/Seren set up,

When I youtube this though the first recommendation is usually

“Netflix”

And i tun it off lol
+1   

1 week ago '05        #4
lilwheezy 
space
space
Props total: 1011 1 K  Slaps total: 161 161
Here you go for emulators. Just download a browser for downloading the roms or connect storage and you should be good. You can buy the Nvidia controller but when I've played I just connect PS4 using Bluetooth.

+1   

1 week ago '05        #5
R4P  OP
space
space
Can yall android heads recommend some good (free) apps/games to download as well

1 week ago '05        #6
lilwheezy 
space
space
Props total: 1011 1 K  Slaps total: 161 161
The apps I have and use frequently are Netflix, Kodi, Amazon Prime, Firefox to watch NFL Gamepass and NBA League Pass, and ExpressVPN.
+1   

1 week ago '05        #7
R4P  OP
space
space
What about IPtv? I'm brand new to that but I'd like something with a TV Guide, ability to record shows is a plus but not necessary and cheapest

1 week ago '17        #8
YAYO101 
space
space
Props total: 13106 13 K  Slaps total: 880 880

+1   

1 week ago '09        #9
g35kid 
space
space
Props total: 130 130  Slaps total: 1 1
I’m debating on upgrading my firetv to a Nvidia shield. Is it worth the upgrade not going to use it for gaming just to stream movies
+1   

1 week ago '04        #10
class01 
space
space
space
Props total: 368 368  Slaps total: 59 59
Interested in getting one myself. Where's the best price?
+1   

1 week ago '04        #11
Tastemaker331 
space
space
Props total: 27554 27 K  Slaps total: 3632 3 K
@
What’s was your reasoning for buying this?
Like what can it do?
+1   

1 week ago '05        #12
R4P  OP
space
space
 Tastemaker331 said
@
What’s was your reasoning for buying this?
Like what can it do?
My only other "smart TV" experience has been with a FireTV Stick and using Kodi etc....

This is the most powerful 4K streaming device on the market, it can do the same thing FireTV can do at a 1/10th of the time, it has Chromecast built in, apple TV(?) airplay functionality, it supports ANY app (FireTV cant use Youtube which sucks I cant play my kids videos on it)

Its MUCH faster than a Firestick, you will see what I mean and appreciate the difference.

I been debating on getting a N64 again for nostalgia purposes and also to put my 5yr old onto some of the classics (she already gaming on Xbox One/iphone shes super tech savy)

With this you can run emulators to play any N64/Gamecube/PS2/Gameboy/Handhelds/ETC ETC

thats literally how it looks, dope to see on your TV

its super cool you can connect any bluetooth controller super easily to it, I got a PS4 and Xbox One controller connected to it (that reminds me I can pull my old 360 controllers out?)

and i had to do a fair bit of random googling and sh*t but its actually SUPER easy to transfer files/apps from your home laptop/desktop/phone directly to the TV with the Shield.

On top of that you can run PC games directly to your couch. I cant get into playing in front of a monitor but this allows me to stream the games I have on my upstairs desktop in 4K directly to my couch to play with Xbox/Ps4/etc controller. AMAZING but I probably wont utilize it as much as I should i dunno we'll see

sorry for the long a*s post but its my day off and

I'll sum it up but putting it like this

TLDR;

If I got homies/people that are into gaming they probably played classics at some point (No Mercy, WCW/NWO, Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, etc) They CAN GET THAT WORK

I got Kodi with its various apps and usual bullsh*t but at least its MUCH faster and i invested in real-debrid (look it up- u gonna have to drop some dough though

but worth it i think so far no long term commitments

So that takes care of Movies in GREAT fu*king quality compared to Firestick

I'd also like to be able to stream 1000s of channels of live TV from around the world complete with just movie channels with a TV Guide and ability to record shows....but I have yet to find such thing

Overall It's a dope investment. I got the "cheaper" 2019 version which is literally this tube and remote $150

It can only support a MicroSD card of additional memory.

Next I will be getting the pro version ($200) which has more ram (faster) and storage but also has USB 3.0 port for you to stick a 10TB external HD if you wanted to.

the world is your oyster King.

From my limited understanding of this sh*t there is a minority(majority?) that believes the 2017 version remains superior. You may be able to find a used 2017 for $140 and up on ebay.

Let me know if any other questions holmes
+2   

1 week ago '05        #13
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22148 22 K  Slaps total: 3112 3 K
 g35kid said
I’m debating on upgrading my firetv to a Nvidia shield. Is it worth the upgrade not going to use it for gaming just to stream movies
No. The app ecosystem on Android TV is trash and the only plus the Shield has over Fire TV devices is its flagship specs. If all you're doing is consuming media, keep your Fire TV.

1 week ago '05        #14
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 R4P said
My only other "smart TV" experience has been with a FireTV Stick and using Kodi etc....

This is the most powerful 4K streaming device on the market, it can do the same thing FireTV can do at a 1/10th of the time, it has Chromecast built in, apple TV(?) airplay functionality, it supports ANY app (FireTV cant use Youtube which sucks I cant play my kids videos on it)
The Fire TV was able to use YouTube even after Google removed their app. Google has since then added the official app back onto the Amazon Appstore.

1 week ago '05        #15
R4P  OP
space
space
 Y.G. said
The Fire TV was able to use YouTube even after Google removed their app. Google has since then added the official app back onto the Amazon Appstore.
oh ok wasnt aware of that

thanks

1 week ago '05        #16
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 R4P said
oh ok wasnt aware of that

thanks
No problem son

1 week ago '04        #17
Tastemaker331 
space
space
Props total: 27554 27 K  Slaps total: 3632 3 K
 R4P said

Its MUCH faster than a Firestick, you will see what I mean and appreciate the difference.

I been debating on getting a N64 again for nostalgia purposes and also to put my 5yr old onto some of the classics (she already gaming on Xbox One/iphone shes super tech savy)

With this you can run emulators to play any N64/Gamecube/PS2/Gameboy/Handhelds/ETC ETC

thats literally how it looks, dope to see on your TV

its super cool you can connect any bluetooth controller super easily to it, I got a PS4 and Xbox One controller connected to it (that reminds me I can pull my old 360 controllers out?)

and i had to do a fair bit of random googling and sh*t but its actually SUPER easy to transfer files/apps from your home laptop/desktop/phone directly to the TV with the Shield.

On top of that you can run PC games directly to your couch. I cant get into playing in front of a monitor but this allows me to stream the games I have on my upstairs desktop in 4K directly to my couch to play with Xbox/Ps4/etc controller. AMAZING but I probably wont utilize it as much as I should i dunno we'll see

sorry for the long a*s post but its my day off and

I'll sum it up but putting it like this

TLDR;

If I got homies/people that are into gaming they probably played classics at some point (No Mercy, WCW/NWO, Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, etc) They CAN GET THAT WORK

I got Kodi with its various apps and usual bullsh*t but at least its MUCH faster and i invested in real-debrid (look it up- u gonna have to drop some dough though

but worth it i think so far no long term commitments

So that takes care of Movies in GREAT fu*king quality compared to Firestick

I'd also like to be able to stream 1000s of channels of live TV from around the world complete with just movie channels with a TV Guide and ability to record shows....but I have yet to find such thing

Overall It's a dope investment. I got the "cheaper" 2019 version which is literally this tube and remote $150

It can only support a MicroSD card of additional memory.

Next I will be getting the pro version ($200) which has more ram (faster) and storage but also has USB 3.0 port for you to stick a 10TB external HD if you wanted to.

the world is your oyster King.

From my limited understanding of this sh*t there is a minority(majority?) that believes the 2017 version remains superior. You may be able to find a used 2017 for $140 and up on ebay.

Let me know if any other questions holmes
Yo I appreciate that breakdown for real....I just checked the pricing. I might just cop one to go with this new TV lmao. There’s a couple of PC games I’ve been wanting to try out

Last edited by Tastemaker331; 11-12-2019 at 12:50 AM..

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+48online now  25
Video inside "South Park" Uses Randy Savage's Likeness To Mock Trans Athletes
84 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+55online now  24
Teanna Trump calls out OKC basketball player anonymously
121 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  19
Nov 17 - 6 states....trying to legalize weed next year
129 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  7
LAMELO BALL and BBB just LITERALLY SHUTDOWN SYDNEY AUSTRALIA and made HIST..
53 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy