online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

‘The Color Purple’ Lost Warner Bros $40 Million

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

Top 10 most propped recently  5 months ago '10        #26
Chiyosuke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 44198 44 K  Slaps total: 2676 2 K
 rifair said
It's a catch 22 because we don't want to support the works of an anti black male weirdo feminist but also Hollywood says if we don't show up and support a film they'll never throw that type of money at anything black again
I mean, with these being our only options...

fu#k it. Hollywood doesn't push ANYTHING beneficial to black people as a whole to begin with
+8   

5 months ago '15        #27
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 85554 85 K  Slaps total: 12042 12 K
 OCT DION said
Who the hell watched the original Color Purple movie and said "I wanna watch this depressing a$s sh1t in HD"?

They gonna make Precious 2 next?

I remember seeing it as a kid. Parents rented it at the video store. We always got like 3-4 movies a weekend.
So each one was kind of important and tell ya what kind of night you might have that weekend. I specifically remember watching it, being totally confused on what it was about, and then partly traumatized at how much cruelty was in it. I remember the adults and media making a big deal about the movie, and praising it back then. I thought the world was insane for liking it.
+7   

5 months ago '15        #28
AmillionMo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 49049 49 K  Slaps total: 15249 15 K
Smh, it was up to us to show up and support a black film. Now we about to complain about them not making black films. This was literally a great opportunity for the domestic box office. Them numbers are tough though because they don't release it internationally unless the numbers do good domestically. It's crazy. We really need more black action movies because they translate oversees

5 months ago '17        #29
Al Simmonz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9956 9 K  Slaps total: 691 691
 92bricks9shots said
Pandering to black women ain’t as lucrative as it used to be

Too bad black men don’t get pandered too bc we actually support sh1t that we identify with and I know we not a monolith but most black men can agree on certain issues
Yep. Let Marvel make a movie about the Hatut Zeraze. The Shea Butter crowd won’t support it but I promise you real ones send those number through the roof
+1   

5 months ago '17        #30
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x205 OP
Props total: 302418 302 K  Slaps total: 22663 22 K
 AmillionMo said
Smh, it was up to us to show up and support a black film. Now we about to complain about them not making black films. This was literally a great opportunity for the domestic box office. Them numbers are tough though because they don't release it internationally unless the numbers do good domestically. It's crazy. We really need more black action movies because they translate oversees
I went to the movies to watch American Fiction and bought it on bootleg
emoji
+4   

5 months ago '17        #31
Officialjm3 
Props total: 9678 9 K  Slaps total: 1506 1 K
Good

5 months ago '21        #32
The jinx  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 25438 25 K  Slaps total: 12128 12 K
Going woke = going broke

5 months ago '04        #33
King Ryan 
Props total: 3296 3 K  Slaps total: 1031 1 K
Hollywood makes a slave movie every year
emoji
emoji
+5   

5 months ago '15        #34
mrwoodside 
Props total: 22310 22 K  Slaps total: 3365 3 K
They promoted it as if it was a remake of the original film… but its a rendition of the stage play… your average movie goer not really interested into theatrical musicals like that… you have to be in a diff state of mind to enjoy a musical when you were inspecting a regular film…

And i like seeing slave, civil rights, black history films unlike some ppl who think they make too much of them… im just not into musicals like that…

Last edited by mrwoodside; 02-25-2024 at 06:24 PM..
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  5 months ago '10        #35
Chiyosuke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 44198 44 K  Slaps total: 2676 2 K
 King Ryan said
Hollywood makes a slave movie every year
emoji
emoji
They certainly don't mind drilling that shyt in our psyche ad nauseum.
+3   

5 months ago '14        #36
OCT DION 
Props total: 39457 39 K  Slaps total: 3715 3 K
 DamianDragunov said
I remember seeing it as a kid. Parents rented it at the video store. We always got like 3-4 movies a weekend.
So each one was kind of important and tell ya what kind of night you might have that weekend. I specifically remember watching it, being totally confused on what it was about, and then partly traumatized at how much cruelty was in it. I remember the adults and media making a big deal about the movie, and praising it back then. I thought the world was insane for liking it.
I saw it as a kid on BET and that's how I remember it too. "He beat me", "I'ma fu#k my daughter" "your daddy died fu#king me" like I thought it was five separate crazy a$s movies I watched because it was no way all that sh1t was going on in one.

Last edited by OCT DION; 02-25-2024 at 09:21 PM..
+9   

5 months ago '07        #37
stogz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 155086 155 K  Slaps total: 19132 19 K
It's they own fault. I don't know how many times I've said it, but it's really fkn simple.

They spend decades and decades teaching us certain behaviors on how to take in entertainment. TV is appointment viewing, and you have o be on your couch at the same time every week if you want to watch the show. Summers are for re-runs. Movies, you go to the cinema/theatre. You pay a premium for it. We learned those behaviors and adhered and everyone was fine with it.

Then THEY made the choice to do streaming. THEY made the choice to charge us less for more. THEY made the choice to overload us with choices. THEY made the choice to drop an entire season of tv on one day. THEY made the choice to show us that we can just watch new movie releases at home on small screens. THEY are the reason there is no more appointment viewing. THEY are the reason why people cancel cable. THEY are the reason people don't go to the movies every week to pay a premium anymore when we have a cheap buffet at home.

In a little over a decade, they managed to un-train the decades of behaviors they initially taught us. They should've known that The Color Purple is a netflix caliber project. We only go to the movies now for big budget blockbusters with huge mainstream, household names attached. You can also get us to go by advertising Disney and other animated flix to our kids. Outside of that, they've shown us that everything else is not worth a trip and a $20 ticket and expensive concessions. That's what they taught us.... that's what we've learned
+5   

5 months ago '23        #38
v3mp  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 31495 31 K  Slaps total: 3321 3 K
Nobody wants to see this type of bullsh1t anymore when we got things like the Creed trilogy, Black Panther, Spiderverse, Little Mermaid, Jordan Peele movies, etc.

emoji
+9   

5 months ago '11        #39
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 94511 94 K  Slaps total: 62697 62 K
people are tired of reboots. and most dont fu#k with oprah
+7   

5 months ago '06        #40
Icee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 56771 56 K  Slaps total: 3828 3 K
Stop remaking or green lighting old a$s slave themed movies
+8   

5 months ago '04        #41
slipnslide85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 31832 31 K  Slaps total: 1774 1 K
Good.

Stop thinking you about to run up a bag by exploiting black trauma and hate for black men
+12   

5 months ago '22        #42
Demencio Benson  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x36
Props total: 60991 60 K  Slaps total: 6527 6 K
 Murderers said
Taraji killed this movie... I feel like it was very selfish of her to do all that complaining in the middle of the promo run. The negative press of this movie overshadowed it which is a shame because Fantasia did her thing and she'll never get recognition for it because Taraji wanted to get on her soapbox.
No lies told.

My wife and I went to see it when it first came out and while we thought it was ok I don't think we will ever watch it again.

emoji
emoji
+3   

5 months ago '09        #43
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x108
Props total: 315440 315 K  Slaps total: 34253 34 K
Variety is now reporting that Warner Bros lost $40 million on the film. It's a hefty sum of money that must have had WB CEO David Zaslav desperately searching for another tax write off.

these movie flops wouldnt be made if executives were forced to fund them out of pocket
+1   

5 months ago '15        #44
kaydot901 
Props total: 7965 7 K  Slaps total: 369 369
 Murderers said
Taraji killed this movie... I feel like it was very selfish of her to do all that complaining in the middle of the promo run. The negative press of this movie overshadowed it which is a shame because Fantasia did her thing and she'll never get recognition for it because Taraji wanted to get on her soapbox.
Came to say that about Fantasia, she gotta stay in Oprah's circles & step tf away from Taraji! She can get it in & get her clout up & go overseas and get a bag.
+2   

5 months ago '14        #45
FullStackDev  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 1884 1 K  Slaps total: 271 271
Teraji P. Yeezy

5 months ago '22        #46
Airs Heir 
Props total: 660 660  Slaps total: 183 183
 CJ Schwarz said
‘The Color Purple’ Lost Warner Bros $40 Million

Warner Bros’ “The Color Purple” amassed a record-setting $18 million in receipts on Christmas Day 2023. Then it just nosedived to oblivion. Its numbers just kept dropping on a daily basis.

This was a case of the film being extremely frontloaded. Even though word of mouth was positive, reviews were more-than-decent, and audiences liked it — an A CinemaScore and 95% user rating on RT — but it certainly did not break through outside of its core demographic.

Variety is now reporting that Warner Bros lost $40 million on the film. It's a hefty sum of money that must have had WB CEO David Zaslav desperately searching for another tax write off. It’s certainly not a historic bomb, but it’s enough to have Warners think twice about greenlighting such projects in the future.

“The Color Purple” had a budget of around $100 million. It was produced for Oscars, but did not make much of a dent once nominations were announced — outside of Danielle Brooks’ supporting actress nod.

It doesn’t help that, of its $67 million worldwide gross, only $6 million came from overseas receipts. This should be a lesson to all: nobody asked for this remake, and if you do embark on such a pricey film then at least try to hire a veteran filmmaker, rather than a newcomer like Blitz Bazawule.

It didn’t help that one of its stars, Taraji P. Henson, was, quite literally, campaigning against the producers of the film. Henson was peeved off that, during the shoot of “The Color Purple,” producers made the cast drive themselves to the set in rental cars.

So, who were the producers of “The Color Purple”? They included Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones, among others.

emoji

That’s it? That’s like taking a loss on an eight of trees
+1   

5 months ago '14        #47
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 210463 210 K  Slaps total: 49256 49 K
I'll go and support because I want to see fantasia

5 months ago '14        #48
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 210463 210 K  Slaps total: 49256 49 K
We need movies like this to win

5 months ago '17        #49
Pretty Tone 
Props total: 75381 75 K  Slaps total: 5559 5 K
 OCT DION said
Who the hell watched the original Color Purple movie and said "I wanna watch this depressing a$s sh1t in HD"?

They gonna make Precious 2 next?
that's why I didn't watch. Black oppression in 4k is insane
+6   

5 months ago '19        #50
Megaman 
Props total: 13891 13 K  Slaps total: 11741 11 K
 rifair said
It's a catch 22 because we don't want to support the works of an anti black male weirdo feminist but also Hollywood says if we don't show up and support a film they'll never throw that type of money at anything black again
lol at waiting for handouts and thinking instructions from jevvs in Hollyweird.

haven't been to a theater in 25 years and could care less about anything that any Hollywood studio puts out.
+1   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+4227
Video inside U can butterfly your chicken drummies I was today years old.
58 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
props+3823
Video inside CFB 25, Full Gameplay with Eric
141 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
props+3523
Happy Ending competition