Who has a home theater PC??

most viewed right now
Video inside "I Let My Best Friend Have Sex With My Boyfriend." By having a threesome
28 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Trump Out Here Quoting The Bee Movie
19 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jan 20 - Trump signed a stack of executive orders moments after he became pres..
117 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Dunk Contest Participants Announced?
16 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '05        #1
109 pageviews
6 comments

Sol Rock 
space
space
$966 | Props total: 18 18
Who has a home theater PC??

Debating on building one for the living room.

I kind of want to keep it like a console, so I'm still debating on what parts I want to go with. I was thinking of the Fractal Design Node 202, but it doesn't have a optical drive bay, so I dunno. I would only need the optical drive bay for a bluray player... tryna keep it like a console, once again.

What I really need help with is the "OS", I want a real nice looking user interface.. I've just started doing research on that, (steam OS, Kodi, etc) but if someone already has a nice set up, let me know what you're using as far as software/hardware.

Point blank, just need to be able to do decent gaming on it, play blu rays (maybe), and mostly use Netflix/Youtube/HBO

6 comments for "Who has a home theater PC??"

1 week ago '16        #2
mia4life128 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$202 | Props total: 342 342
For a Home Theater PC any OS will work what's important is just the media player you'll be using some better then others VLC is one I use for Blu Ray playback. One of the most common is Windows 7 and its Windows Media Center app. MacOS is also used, Linux as well.

For gaming hardware wise your going to need a decent GPU something like NVIDA GTX 980 to 1070. (1080 if you have the budget) or AMDs Equivalent Polaris GPU (Blower style GPU is best for the small form factor your going with). The other thing is what CPU (intel core i5) and chipset (Motherboard choice) your going to be going with and if you plan on overclocking. If you do, you might want to look into a closed loop cpu cooler to keep temps down. If you not going to be overclocking stock fans can work perfectly. It would be ideal to have at least an fan or 2 120mm in size, Just to keep the case with positive air pressure. Helps reduce heat in the case. other then that You can pick whether you want to go with an ssd or a 2.5in optical drive, I wouldn't worry to much about the blu-ray slot since they have players that can run on usb, which you should have more then enough ports.

Other then that it should run and play whatever you need.
Sol Rock gave props

1 week ago '05        #3
Sol Rock 
space
space
I haven't really looked into it too much yet but, it seems you can boot directly into Kodi. I dabbled with it yesterday & was able to have my movies played through there. Also seen something about being able to dual-boot with SteamOS.

^Those are my biggest 'concerns', I really want this to be like a console, OS wise. I already have a PC with two 1070s in SLI. With this build, I'm debating on going with a Mini ITX (tower, cube, etc) or a horizontal option, to keep it 'console like'. I might go with the Fractal Design Node 202.

Here's the list for the parts I was thinking about.

Case: Fractal Design Node 202
Motherboard: Asus H170I-PRO/CSM
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz Quad Core
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2133 (2 x 16 GB)
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB STRIX
PSU: Corsair SF 450W SFX
Storage: Sandisk SSD 120 GB

I think I'm going with this case. I miss out on the optical drive but, whatever. I don't even own DVDs or Blurays, but I just wanted it just in case the situation arises. I don't plan on overclocking this at all, and I don't think I game enough to really need a better GPU. I really don't know why I went with 2 1070s, I think I would've been fine with 1 & not even be able to tell the difference. So, I'm downgrading a bit to the 1050 for this build. The SSD is just because it was the best price per GB, and it's only going to be for Windows / the few amount of software I'll have on there. I plan on buying an external hard drive just for this build, unless I could stream what I have connected to my PC to this new console build.. I dunno, that's the sh*t I really need to figure out. The whole, running Kodi & how to sync up multiple devices and stuff like that.
 1 week ago '05        #4
Sol Rock 
space
space
So, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that build soon. Did a quick google search and it seems that Kodi can be what the PC boots into, and allows the streaming options I need / can have Steam as an add on.

mia4life128 gave props

1 week ago '16        #5
mia4life128 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$202 | Props total: 342 342
That pretty dope I see what it doing, to get it to boot directly. Its creating a policy to have the program start like a normal windows service. Your parts list is solid one things I would recommend just because of the case is considering a Blower style GPU, ASUS should have them, if not think about adding 2 additional 120mm Static Pressure fans. Even with the smallest bit of gaming. The GPU with generate a lot of heat. You don't want it to affect your CPU, or especially, your SSD. You want to keep cool positive air pressure in your case. Other then that. I don't see the need to add and external HDD. If your PC has enough space and you store any and all media files, Just create a home network shared folder and have it point to the directory of where you keep all you media. makes for a cleaner look to.
 3 days ago '13        #6
JosethaHustler 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,401 | Props total: 3442 3442
Why no liquid cooled system?
 1 day ago '05        #7
Sol Rock 
space
space
 JosethaHustler said:
Why no liquid cooled system?
Case: Fractal Design Node 202

I want to keep it in a horizontal, console like case.

Even then, I feel this is overspec'd but the gaming should be more than decent on it (better than my consoles)

If I wanted to liquid cool it, I'd choose a different case & probably end up just building the same PC I already have.
Home         

most viewed right now
Video inside Honestly, if Adidas and Kanye cant meet demand i see UA is the way to go.
67 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside British Caramel Crumpet - Aruba J @aruwba
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Grown Woman.....
71 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Bx Member Gf deletes his 2K Career mode"U play 2 much Spend some time w..
183 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Jim Jones Kicked Out Of Roc Nation Offices
68 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Youtuber Agrees To S3xtape If She Gets 1 Million Subscribers
161 comments
1 day ago