Canada's new food guide removes dairy, cuts down amount of meat

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 months ago '04        #1
322 page views
8 comments

Kliq 335 heat pts335
space
space
$11,413 | Props total: 43229 43229
Canada's new food guide removes dairy, cuts down amount of meat

View this post on Instagram

Reposted from @chefahki - - #regrann

A post shared by GETTING US BACK2 OUR GREATNESS (@africanunification) on

Meat and dairy are out. Plants and water are in.

Those appear to be the biggest takeaways from the newest version of Canada’s Food Guide, which was released Tuesday by Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor.

“It puts more focus on what, when and how we eat, and less on food groups and servings. It gives clear, concise advice that everyone can easily apply to their everyday lives,” Petitpas Taylor said at the guide’s unveiling event in Montreal.

One of the most notable changes is the elimination of the four traditional food groups, which had been part of the federal government’s nutrition advice, in one form or another, since 1942.

Whole grains, vegetables and fruits are still listed as an integral part of a healthy diet, but the traditional focus on the likes of meat and milk is gone in favour of the broader category of proteins.

There is a specific recommendation that Canadians consume plant-based proteins “more often” and cut down on their intake of processed meats and saturated fats, which can contribute to cancer, diabetes and other diseases.

Recommended proteins in the guide include “lentils, lean meats, fish, unsweetened milk and fortified soy beverages.” Meat and alternatives had previously been a separate food group, as had milk and alternatives.

The new guide also places a heavy emphasis on water,
saying it should be the “beverage of choice” for Canadians. Coffee, tea, lower-fat milk and plant-based beverages are listed as other options, though less preferred.

Fruit juices are not recommended because of their sugar content. The previous edition of the food guide had suggested 100 per cent fruit juice as a way of achieving an optimal amount of fruit. Reducing consumption of sugars, saturated fats and processed foods was a key goal for the government in the development of the new guide.

Also gone from the guide is specific governmental advice on how much food to consume. Health Canada officials say most Canadians found the portion size guidance confusing.

“Trying to have exact amounts for each person is difficult,” Jess Haines, an a*sociate professor of applied nutrition at the University of Guelph, told CTVNews.ca.

The previous version of the guide contained separate dietary advice for six different age groups, half of which were further broken down by s*x. Even these did not take into account different body types and lifestyles.

A document to be released later this year will include suggestions on healthy eating patterns, but those suggestions will be targeted toward people creating meal plans for hospitals, prisons and similar settings, and not the general public.

+3   

8 comments for "Canada's new food guide removes dairy, cuts down amount of meat"

2 months ago '04        #2
Kliq 335 heat pts335 OP
space
space
all that Got Milk bullsh*t propoaganda they were subjecting young American children too

only for Canada to wipe out dairy completely

they used to pretend like cow milk was the only way to get calcium into your system

Got Milk? (stylized as got milk?) is an American advertising campaign encouraging the consumption of milk, which was created by the advertising agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners for the California Milk Processor Board in 1993, and was later licensed for use by milk processors and dairy farmers.

It launched in 1993 with the now-famous "Aaron Burr" television commercial, directed by Michael Bay. The national campaign, run by MilkPEP (Milk Processor Education Program) added the "got milk?" logo to its "Milk Mustache" ads beginning in 1995. In January 2014, MilkPEP discontinued its Milk Mustache and got milk? advertisements, and launched a new campaign with the tagline "Milk Life". The "got milk?" campaign continues in California and the "got milk?" trademark is being licensed to food and merchandise companies for U.S. and international sales. The campaign has been credited with greatly increasing milk sales in California, although not necessarily nationwide.

Got Milk? is one of the most famous commodity brands and influential campaigns in advertising history

[pic - click to view]

2 months ago '18        #3
Blaffy 132 heat pts132
space
space
$9,050 | Props total: 30594 30594
This is great
But they (people in charge/ 1%) gonna add more weird sh*t in our vegetables.
+2   

2 months ago '10        #4
NorCalNocturne 1 heat pts
space
space
$721 | Props total: 468 468
Some friends of mine went to Canada to visit for the first time and told me they were shocked over how many people they saw were in shape. Sad, I wish we were like that, especially California, cause this is embarrassing.
+1   

2 months ago '10        #5
WhoNextWithPlex 41 heat pts41
space
space
$10,549 | Props total: 10819 10819
 NorCalNocturne said
Some friends of mine went to Canada to visit for the first time and told me they were shocked over how many people they saw were in shape. Sad, I wish we were like that, especially California, cause this is embarrassing.
Its the other way around for Canadians. Im not exaggerating or bragging when I tell you the most shocking thing about America is the amount of people who are out of shape, especially women. Walk around any mall in Toronto and hot chicks are a dime a dozen, in the states theyre like unicorns.
+2   

2 months ago '07        #6
stogz 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,086 | Props total: 58152 58152
When i go to NYC and D.C., i don't really notice people being all that overweight.

When i've been to florida tho, jesus..... the rampant obesity is startling. I'm not talking about just being fat, i'm talking the breathing heavy while sitting down, sweating in the evening while eating, need a cane or a scooter to get around, obese. I'm talking that disgusting, how the hell did that happen to you, walk with an oxygen tank obese. That belly hanging below your waistline, out of your t-shirt, 2-3 extra chins, cankle, dimples in the knees, i can see your a*s crack because your pants don't stay up, type obese.

.... america got all the best tasting worst poison foods, and they cheap as hell. Florida is king of the all-you-can eat $5 buffet.
+3   

2 months ago '10        #7
NorCalNocturne 1 heat pts
space
space
$721 | Props total: 468 468
 WhoNextWithPlex said
Its the other way around for Canadians. Im not exaggerating or bragging when I tell you the most shocking thing about America is the amount of people who are out of shape, especially women. Walk around any mall in Toronto and hot chicks are a dime a dozen, in the states theyre like unicorns.
And to think I couldn’t feel more embarrassed...thanks for that.

2 months ago '04        #8
Kliq 335 heat pts335 OP
space
space
 stogz said
When i go to NYC and D.C., i don't really notice people being all that overweight.

When i've been to florida tho, jesus..... the rampant obesity is startling. I'm not talking about just being fat, i'm talking the breathing heavy while sitting down, sweating in the evening while eating, need a cane or a scooter to get around, obese. I'm talking that disgusting, how the hell did that happen to you, walk with an oxygen tank obese. That belly hanging below your waistline, out of your t-shirt, 2-3 extra chins, cankle, dimples in the knees, i can see your a*s crack because your pants don't stay up, type obese.

.... america got all the best tasting worst poison foods, and they cheap as hell. Florida is king of the all-you-can eat $5 buffet.
damn you hit it on the head

i think there's something to be said about education levels and how people take care of themselves.

i feel like most people move to Florida just to give up

2 months ago '07        #9
stogz 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,086 | Props total: 58152 58152
 Kliq said
damn you hit it on the head

i think there's something to be said about education levels and how people take care of themselves.

i feel like most people move to Florida just to give up

Home      

most viewed right now
+96online now  68
Image(s) inside Crystal M
35 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  34
Hushed App
38 comments