Millennials Pick PlayStation As Their Favorite Brand, Gen Z Picks Xbox

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
29 comments @sports
most viewed right now
25 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 weeks ago '06        #1
3707 page views
39 comments

LeMar G 
space
space
Props total: 63008 63 K  Slaps total: 6722 6 K
Millennials Pick PlayStation As Their Favorite Brand, Gen Z Picks Xbox

Rounding out the Millennial top ten was:

1. PlayStation

2. Amazon

3. Target

4. Disney

5. Ford

6. Jeep

7. Apple

8. YouTube

9. Xbox

10. Nintendo

While it’s a bit dystopian to talk about how much we “love” different corporate brands, that’s the job of many a marketing agency who surveys consumers to see which brands they have the most connection with. One of those is MBLM, who has something called the “Brand Intimacy Study” that they’ve been running for ten years now.

The results this year are interesting, to say the least, and show a somewhat odd generational divide that I wasn’t expecting to see.

First, the main headline is that both Millennials (born 1981-1996) and Gen Z (born 1995-2012, don’t ask about the overlap) picked a video game brand as their #1. The difference? Millennials picked PlayStation while Gen Z picked Xbox.

So all three major console players made the cut, yet PlayStation jumped from #8 last year. And this is out of 56,000 possible brands MBLM surveyed. It also gets pretty specific as you can see that this is PlayStation, not Sony, and Xbox, not Microsoft.

Why video game brands? I mean, they’re relatively uncontroversial. PlayStation and Xbox are what you play your favorite games on for X hours a week, and the only reason you would ever not like one of those brands if you were not a gamer at all, or a die-hard fan of the other console. It’s also different than say, liking EA or Ubisoft, a game publisher, which may have its own share of controversies based on microtransactions or releasing buggy games. These days, PlayStation and Xbox exist as relatively uncontroversial entities, as long as you aren’t pitting them against each other for console flame wars.

But I am more curious about the divide between Millennials and Gen Z. Why did Millennials pick PlayStation while Gen Z picked Xbox?

At the present moment, PlayStation has won this current console generation besting Xbox 2:1 in sales, and releasing some incredible original games the past few years from God of War to Spider-Man. Maybe that’s why Millennials like it, so why did Gen Z pick Xbox instead?

Part of me wonders if this was some sort of snowball effect. As in, Gen Z kids picked up Xboxes, so all their friends picked up Xboxes, and it just sort of escalated until Xbox became the generational pick. I do find it kind of funny that this generation was too young for the “glory days” of the original Halo or Gears trilogies. I do wonder if the Xbox pick could have anything to do with Minecraft, which is hugely popular among that generation, and which Microsoft now owns.

The full report from MBLM comes out on February 14 so we’ll see if there’s anything more interesting then. If you had to pick a top “brand” in your life, is a video game console or publisher one of yours? My top three would probably be Bungie, Respawn and Obsidian right now, and I won’t dare rank PlayStation over Xbox or vice versa, lest I get yelled at.

visit this link https://www.forbes.com/si .. /#1d8b337e575d
+1   

best
worst
39 comments

2 weeks ago '13        #2
uoeno  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 33250 33 K  Slaps total: 7072 7 K
how big was the survey?
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #3
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 54504 54 K  Slaps total: 7026 7 K
To be real all I see are PS4’s being used and Xbox’s collecting dust

BTW my PSN tag is SFAMILYREP if anyone of y’all trying to get scraped up in COD:MW or 2K
+8   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '16        #4
TrillPeez 
space
space
Props total: 39752 39 K  Slaps total: 8049 8 K
Cuz millennials actually wanna game...gen z gets distracted and likes how easily they can transition from their 2 games to the 3 channels they watch.
+10   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
RatedQue 
space
space
Props total: 2662 2 K  Slaps total: 254 254
 TrillPeez said
Cuz millennials actually wanna game...gen z gets distracted and likes how easily they can transition from their 2 games to the 3 channels they watch.
This. My brother has xbox and I gave him my PS4 cuz that sh*t be taking up time I can do other stuff. Literally only uses the PS4 for netflix in his living room, stays in playing xbox in his bedroom switching back and forth between sh*t. He was born in 96 though and grew up on PS2
+3   

2 weeks ago '07        #6
Royce207 
space
space
Props total: 15 15  Slaps total: 1 1
I started on ps2/ps3 as a millennial but now i cant stand the playstation controllers, they feel small and awkward as fu*k.. If ive played something in the past 5 years its always on my xbox.
+6   

2 weeks ago '17        #7
Timberwolves  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
Props total: 20665 20 K  Slaps total: 2500 2 K
 SFamilyRep said
To be real all I see are PS4’s being used and Xbox’s collecting dust

BTW my PSN tag is SFAMILYREP if anyone of y’all trying to get scraped up in COD:MW or 2K
I put the ol Ps4 to rest for good, will add you Holiday 2020 when that 5 is out

+4   

2 weeks ago '18        #8
dacoolestg 
space
space
Props total: 2909 2 K  Slaps total: 334 334
tbh playstations been the best. i regret sellin ny ps3 for weed as a kid but i had every one. only got xbox for gears of war and halo. i got the 4 now waitin for that 5 tho
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #9
jewelz1132 
space
space
Props total: 5404 5 K  Slaps total: 241 241
Playstation has better exclusives games, but idk... Ever since the PS3, there's been something about Playstation that I can't get into. At first I thought it was the fact that I was burning games on 360, but now I pay for everything and I still don't mess with my PS4 much. The Playstation experience seems so........ isolating. It's like those stories you hear about asian men overseas, how they are shut ins that don't leave the house. Single player games, that tonal theme. It's online interface..

PS2 was kinda like that too. I guess it was different for us because we didn't play online that much. Everybody sat in a room together with 2 controllers alternating turns. That's really how we always did it from Sega/NES up to N64. XBOX had 4 controllers so that gave us that N64 vibe of party playing (def wasn't spending all that money on multi-taps for Playstation).
+5   

2 weeks ago '19        #10
Purpleswag23  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 6231 6 K  Slaps total: 867 867
I'm a millennial and I been team xbox for a minute
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #11
S-Class 
space
space
Props total: 22010 22 K  Slaps total: 2433 2 K
Xbox sucks
+4   

2 weeks ago '19        #12
Luka Doncic 
space
space
Props total: 3558 3 K  Slaps total: 920 920
Now we’re gonna have people screaming “That’s not my console”

2 weeks ago '16        #13
LOW LIFE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 22470 22 K  Slaps total: 4078 4 K
I'm gen z (1997) and I disagree

2 weeks ago '05        #14
bx old head  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 33604 33 K  Slaps total: 2508 2 K

+4   

2 weeks ago '13        #15
mynam3isearl 
space
space
Props total: 1026 1 K  Slaps total: 135 135
PlayStation has more single player/RPGs while I believe the competitive scene for Xbox brings in more competition.
+2   

2 weeks ago '20        #16
YoungLito  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 2440 2 K  Slaps total: 196 196
Xbox live + game pass>>>

+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #17
NYNY 
space
space
Props total: 14888 14 K  Slaps total: 2850 2 K
Only thing I like on Xbox is backwards compatibility

2 weeks ago '19        #18
Hungsolow 
space
space
space
Props total: 2549 2 K  Slaps total: 424 424
PC about to take over

2 weeks ago '15        #19
KennyKing187 
space
space
space
Props total: 291 291  Slaps total: 187 187
 Purpleswag23 said
I'm a millennial and I been team xbox for a minute
I'm a millennial 2 and team Xbox all day, when it comes down to it, both system have all the major games that I play and once they start introducing crossplay it's a matter of controllers and what kind of games I okay. I mostly play shooters games so naturally I like Xbox controller over ps, the ps controllers better for f*ghting games to me
+2   

2 weeks ago '19        #20
Purpleswag23  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 6231 6 K  Slaps total: 867 867
 KennyKing187 said
I'm a millennial 2 and team Xbox all day, when it comes down to it, both system have all the major games that I play and once they start introducing crossplay it's a matter of controllers and what kind of games I okay. I mostly play shooters games so naturally I like Xbox controller over ps, the ps controllers better for f*ghting games to me
When they gonna do that cross play sh*t?? I'm tryna thump on some playstation n*ggas in 2k
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #21
KennyKing187 
space
space
space
Props total: 291 291  Slaps total: 187 187
Ps do have more single player but I play online only with other people, if it wasn't for online I wouldn't play at all.
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #22
BtMkRs 
space
space
Props total: 12214 12 K  Slaps total: 1307 1 K
 Hungsolow said
PC about to take over

So .. Xbox
+1   

2 weeks ago '19        #23
Hungsolow 
space
space
space
Props total: 2549 2 K  Slaps total: 424 424
 BtMkRs said
So .. Xbox
fu*k a console PC about to take over

2 weeks ago '17        #24
Lazy 
space
space
space
Props total: 12810 12 K  Slaps total: 1525 1 K
Everyone is talking about games but the survey is about branding

This has little to do with in game experiences

C'mon y'all

2 weeks ago '05        #25
Sub Crazy 
space
space
Props total: 7502 7 K  Slaps total: 844 844
The only time I was team XBOX was the 360 era.

Those days are long gone. XBOX 360 had the best exclusive arcade games. I loved my 360.
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  20
Image(s) inside what do you really think of the telsa model 3. honest opinions only
40 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  16
NY Blood Corey King says Blueface & Wack is Food.. Westcoast gotta check in
321 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  14
Can Y’all Help me I-D this shirt Pop Smoke is rockin!?
94 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+24online now  9
Video inside Simp on phone begging his Girlfriend not to go out with her friend!
159 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy