Tesla remotely disables Autopilot on used Model S after it was sold

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
133 comments @movies

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

New replies show every 10 seconds
 4 days ago '17        #51
Lazy 
space
space
space
Props total: 12524 12 K  Slaps total: 1488 1 K
 datnolaboy said
You think gas cars don't have similar tech? My car will tell me where my house and job are. It tells me when I need to go to the mechanic. I'll get a flyer from the dealer telling me to come in soon after. Your phone has the same location info the car has.

People pick and choose what to get righteous about
I had a software recall(trans and engine errors) on my Challenger and Dodge retuned it via wireless update

That's convenient but most drivers are at some level uncomfortable with adding or removing features without consent

4 days ago '07        #52
dabettamc  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 706 706  Slaps total: 59 59
 dtdroid said
I mostly have too for the sake of convenience.

But therein lies the trap that we likely would not have opted into, looking back and putting it all in perspective.

Think of the possible consequences of this standard.

Eventually, there will be no more physical cash. And if you ever become persona non grata to the wrong corporation or powerful entity, your funds simply get switched off by the bank, if not seized altogether in the blink of an eye. It's civil forfeiture taken to a whole new extreme. To me, that's a terrifying future to anticipate. China is already beginning to implement this concept in the form of their .
sh*t I wanna give up now. Inevitable systematical warfare. Population control.

3 days ago '19        #53
DrakeSavage 
space
space
space
Props total: 236 236  Slaps total: 82 82
 dtdroid said
I mostly have too for the sake of convenience.

But therein lies the trap that we likely would not have opted into, looking back and putting it all in perspective.

Think of the possible consequences of this standard.

Eventually, there will be no more physical cash. And if you ever become persona non grata to the wrong corporation or powerful entity, your funds simply get switched off by the bank, if not seized altogether in the blink of an eye. It's civil forfeiture taken to a whole new extreme. To me, that's a terrifying future to anticipate. China is already beginning to implement this concept in the form of their .
i agree. thats obviously coming imo. well its already here. its just gonna get worse. cancel culture. paypal will block you etc. but its just another example of how powerful bitcoin is. bc you own your own money. its not a bank iou. for starters lol.

2 days ago '07        #54
joshdogg26 
space
space
Props total: 19252 19 K  Slaps total: 2132 2 K
seems weird to me. what's the full history of the car before they bought it at auction? this guy didn't pay for the autopilot but if somebody at some point did (before it was auctioned), then I don't understand their case here - unless it was never enabled and the dealership was mistaken, or they missed some fine print in the auction.

paying for the autopilot is a one-time thing when the car is first purchased new from tesla, it's not an individual user license or anything like that. you don't have to pay an incremental fee for it every time the car changes hands - it's already reflected in the value of the car (a car with this feature will be valued higher than one without). seems like a fu*kup happened somewhere along the way. if it was sold at auction as having those features, then there shouldn't be any case for removing them. however, if it was sold as CAPABLE of those features, that would be a different story.

Last edited by joshdogg26; 02-14-2020 at 03:43 PM..

2 days ago '04        #55
JayR04 
space
space
Props total: 10279 10 K  Slaps total: 552 552
 joshdogg26 said
seems weird to me. what's the full history of the car before they bought it at auction? this guy didn't pay for the autopilot but if somebody at some point did (before it was auctioned), then I don't understand their case here - unless it was never enabled and the dealership was mistaken, or they missed some fine print in the auction.

paying for the autopilot is a one-time thing when the car is first purchased new from tesla, it's not an individual user license or anything like that. you don't have to pay an incremental fee for it every time the car changes hands - it's already reflected in the value of the car (a car with this feature will be valued higher than one without). seems like a fu*kup happened somewhere along the way. if it was sold at auction as having those features, then there shouldn't be any case for removing them. however, if it was sold as CAPABLE of those features, that would be a different story.
To my understanding, the first owner paid for the feature when it was new. The feature is there in all Teslas but you have to pay for it to be enabled. But since he bought it from a non Tesla dealer, he has to get in enabled again.

2 days ago '07        #56
joshdogg26 
space
space
Props total: 19252 19 K  Slaps total: 2132 2 K
 JayR04 said
To my understanding, the first owner paid for the feature when it was new. The feature is there in all Teslas but you have to pay for it to be enabled. But since he bought it from a non Tesla dealer, he has to get in enabled again.
I know, I have a model S. provided your car has the hardware to run the latest version (older ones might not). just doesn't make sense to me. if you buy a CPO car from tesla, they don't make you pay full price to have it enabled again, it's just baked into the price. if the same applies to the auction, they should have already paid for a car that had the feature enabled, so either tesla or the dealership made a goof.

however, they do change their pricing and offerings all the time, so who knows.

2 days ago '04        #57
JayR04 
space
space
Props total: 10279 10 K  Slaps total: 552 552
I think Tesla should have disabled the feature when the first owner gave the car back to Tesla.

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+114online now  44
Image(s) inside Saving $10k
159 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  41