Feb 13 - Bill and Melinda Gates have spent $53 billions trying to fix US public education

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
129 comments @movies

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

New replies show every 10 seconds
 3 days ago '07        #26
Bighempin of QM 
space
space
Props total: 7824 7 K  Slaps total: 1656 1 K
All lies! Cuz if they where trying to fix the schools they would have been trying to rebuild and reinvest in those communities.
+1   

3 days ago '07        #27
yolaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 22628 22 K  Slaps total: 1851 1 K
they can throw all the money they want, but the whole system is fu*ked up

we're still using the same gameplan from the 1950s when they were training people to work in factories

where else in society do we settle for a 70yr old technology?

the cookie-cutter approach has failed, the school system is making people feel inferior because they aren't good at certain things

if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, you'll think it's an idiot

the people who are considered good students are simply submissives who are good at memorizing things and desperate for significance

way more than half the sh*t their cramming into kids heads and having them do is just plain fu*king worthless unless they're directly interested in it unsolicited

it's amazing how teachers have achieved sainthood with no results

if you had a million-dollar contest in Las Vegas to see who could get 12-year-olds to learn and retain new concepts the fastest, very few teachers would even be able to compete and no way a teacher would win

education should revolve around 4 questions for every student

who is this person?
how do they learn?
what are they good at?
what do they like?

find the answers to those questions, exploit the fu*k out of it and you just might have a balanced, content person who contributes to society

3 days ago '08        #28
Kewop Decam 
space
space
space
Props total: 20779 20 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
where is he putting these funds because I haven't seen sh*t in the hood get better education-wise from his funds
+2   

3 days ago '16        #29
Lunch Money 
space
space
space
Props total: 504 504  Slaps total: 103 103
Who am I to tell this good people how to donate their money? This is a great gesture but the administrators and legislators don't seem capable of handling these funds. I wish I could donate to that extent. I would fix individual public school systems one at a time and create a model. So many scandals and skimming off the top that you cant trust these principals and mayors to actually buy books and computers.
+1   

3 days ago '08        #30
Kewop Decam 
space
space
space
Props total: 20779 20 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
 Lunch Money said
Who am I to tell this good people how to donate their money? This is a great gesture but the administrators and legislators don't seem capable of handling these funds. I wish I could donate to that extent. I would fix individual public school systems one at a time and create a model. So many scandals and skimming off the top that you cant trust these principals and mayors to actually buy books and computers.
I'd just make my own schools and tell the government they don't get it and I'll buy their schools off of them.
+1   

3 days ago '14        #31
Swade009  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 11884 11 K  Slaps total: 7499 7 K
Spending money doesnt solve the situation smh....

Bill Gates is a snake.
+1   

3 days ago '18        #32
stutteringrap  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 16437 16 K  Slaps total: 14587 14 K
 Sin said

Over the past 20 years, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has spent $53.8 billion on issues ranging from public health to economic development. Some 16% of these funds have been spent on the foundation’s U.S. programs, which focus on education. The rest is spent on international initiatives, including providing vaccines and family health care in developing countries, expanding economic opportunities, providing emergency relief and much more.

But in their 2020 Annual Letter titled “Why We Swing for the Fences,” Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his wife, former Microsoft general manager Melinda Gates, say they have not made the progress they expected — despite their financial commitments.

“If you’d asked us 20 years ago, we would have guessed that global health would be our foundation’s riskiest work, and our U.S. education work would be our surest bet. In fact, it has turned out just the opposite,” Melinda Gates writes. “In global health, there’s a lot of evidence that the world is on the right path — like the dramatic decline in childhood deaths, for example,” she says. “When it comes to U.S. education, though, we’re not yet seeing the kind of bottom-line impact we expected.”

The goal of the foundation’s U.S. initiatives is to increase economic mobility, increase the number of black, Latino and low-income students who go to college, increase college access, improve college graduation rates and support children in their home state of Washington.

The Gates have given to education initiatives since 2000, but they have not seen significant improvements in these areas. For instance, according to data from the National Center for Education Statistics, the six-year college graduation rate for American college students has hovered around just 60% for decades. For black, Latino and low-income students, college graduation rates are even lower.

Throughout the letter, Bill and Melinda provide explanations for why their education initiatives have not seen the same impressive results as their public health initiatives.

Lack of consensus

Melinda says that while the foundation aims to support the ideas of those who have spent their careers working in education, one hurdle has been that many in the field disagree about how to improve student outcomes.

“In global health, we know that if children receive the measles vaccine, they will be protected against the disease, which means they’re more likely to survive. But there’s no consensus on cause and effect in education,” she says. “Are charter schools good or bad? Should the school day be shorter or longer? Is this lesson plan for fractions better than that one? Educators haven’t been able to answer those questions with enough certainty to establish clear best practices.”

Without research that provides universal solutions, the couple says it has been difficult to fund universal outcomes.

Scale

And unlike funding a single intervention like vaccination clinics, improving educational outcomes requires supporting students along 13 years of schooling, says Melinda. “The process is so cumulative that changing the ultimate outcome requires intervention at many different stages,” she writes.

And while the Gates Foundation has funded full college scholarships to 20,000 students of color, Melinda concedes that this is just a small percentage of the tens of millions of students who have attended U.S. public schools since the scholarship’s inception 16 years ago.

Bill also writes about how the foundation’s billion-dollar bet on Common Core, a set of standards for all students in each grade, fell short of their expectations.

“We thought that if states raised the standards, the market would respond and develop new instructional materials that aligned with those standards,” he says. “That didn’t happen.”

He continues, “If there’s one lesson we’ve learned about education after 20 years, it’s that scaling solutions is difficult. Much of our early work in education seemed to hit a ceiling. Once projects expanded to reach hundreds of thousands of students, we stopped seeing the results we hoped for.”

Local solutions

To address these issues, the couple is taking a new approach.

“It became clear to us that scaling in education doesn’t mean getting the same solution out to everyone,” writes Bill. “Our work needed to be tailored to the specific needs of teachers and students in the places we were trying to reach.”

Bill says that because of this lesson, the foundation has shifted to funding solutions proposed by local public school networks as part of an initiative they call Networks for School Improvement.

So far, the organization has spent $240 million on the program. “Rather than focus on one-size-fits-all solutions, our foundation wants to create opportunities for schools to learn from each other,” writes Bill.

The role of philanthropy

It’s not the first time the couple has been let down by the results of their education initiatives.

In their 2018 letter, Bill admitted that they “haven’t seen the large impact we had hoped for.”

Despite these continued challenges, Melinda says they are committed to the cause.

“The fact that progress has been harder to achieve than we hoped is no reason to give up, though. Just the opposite. We believe the risk of not doing everything we can to help students reach their full potential is much, much greater,” writes Melinda this year. “Our role as philanthropists is not only to take risks that support innovation but to work with our partners to overcome the challenges of scale in delivering it.”

much respect to the gates family. don't knowwhy us illumati consipacy behating on them.

bill gates and his family did alot to help poor folks. and doing jesus work.

hopefully he is not apart of the conovirus to wipe us all out.

3 days ago '11        #33
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9 OP
space
space
Props total: 119828 119 K  Slaps total: 17377 17 K
 stutteringrap said
much respect to the gates family. don't knowwhy us illumati consipacy behating on them.

bill gates and his family did alot to help poor folks. and doing jesus work.

hopefully he is not apart of the conovirus to wipe us all out.
people hate what they don't understand

3 days ago '15        #34
Shmoedog 
space
space
Props total: 9270 9 K  Slaps total: 3594 3 K
 imthatinfamous said
while I do acknowledge that having a stable home does help, it is not the end all be all.

I've seen kids from "unstable" homes grow up to be huge successes and kids born with a damn silver spoon in their mouth grow up to be bums...the majority of the weight is on the individual. Which is another reason why there are huge issues in the public school system. Kids aren't held accountable for their actions anymore. Coddled through the first 18 years of their life and if they go to college another 4 years.
A guy last year survived a 47-story skyscraper fall in NYC, that don't mean everybody will survive a fall like, there are exceptions in life him surviving is an exception, most people would die. I'm saying that to say of course some kids coming from broken homes can make it, those are exceptions.

The majority of kids from unstable household won't. Stats are there, its not necessarily cuddling but rather neglect and lack of guidance. kids are impressionable and with no good role models or some sort of guidance to steer them right, they most likely will go down the wrong path. dropout rates, teen pregnancy while in school etc...all are results of broken homes.

2 days ago '06        #35
philly337 
space
space
Props total: 27272 27 K  Slaps total: 6680 6 K
So since hes put money into it and been able to have a say education has gone down

And hes the one that implemented stupid a*s common core
+1   

2 days ago '16        #36
Boogie1790 
space
space
Props total: 26636 26 K  Slaps total: 4657 4 K
Y'all believe this rich cut throat Eungenics influenced snake care about your children education?

Lmao people are lost

2 days ago '06        #37
$C-Brisc$ 
space
space
Props total: 958 958  Slaps total: 127 127
I don't trust them

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now