Frugality

most viewed right now
+22  138
129 comments @sports
most viewed right now
+120  90
125 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 weeks ago '11        #1
5709 page views
21 comments

default28 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,785 | Props total: 1433 1433
Frugality

Any one have any ideas on how to live more frugal to stack up on bread? the community needs to know, thanks
+1   

21 comments for "Frugality"

4 weeks ago '04        #2
joker 171 heat pts171
space
space
$7,344 | Props total: 16376 16376
- Drive a reliable non-luxury car.
- Only buy clothes/shoes on sale or at a discount. The less you care about branding, the better.
- Stop eating out. Pack your lunch to work.
- Sell your old belongings instead of letting it sit at your house unused/unworn.
+11   

4 weeks ago '06        #3
LYTE 173 heat pts173
space
space
space
$16,365 | Props total: 9509 9509
 joker said
- Only buy clothes/shoes on sale or at a discount. The less you care about branding, the better.
- Sell your old belongings instead of letting it sit at your house unused/unworn.
Facts
I've been called cheap for years.
I'm fiscally responsible and dont do impulse buying.
Only thing I know I can work on is packing my lunch
When I worked in a bank, I did that well
+4   

3 weeks ago '19        #4
Jpeg47 
space
space
space
$12 | Props total: 8 8
Resist that first impulse buy and you'll avoid the snowballing effect
+2   

3 weeks ago '12        #5
MemphisAmbition 
space
space
space
$229 | Props total: 370 370
 LYTE said
Facts
I've been called cheap for years.
I'm fiscally responsible and dont do impulse buying.
Only thing I know I can work on is packing my lunch
When I worked in a bank, I did that well
Fiscally responsible... I've been looking for a term that had a more positive ring than frugal. I've been saying financially discipline, but I like the sound of fiscally responsible better - thanks.
+1   

3 weeks ago '12        #6
MemphisAmbition 
space
space
space
$229 | Props total: 370 370
 joker said
Agree with all of these. I'll been frugal my whole life. I'll add a few more

- Set up a budget and stick to it -
- Check out a software like Mint to help you identify areas where your spending is excessive
- Cut back on dates with females. Usually that's about $50-75 between two people
- Get around like minded people who are working to stay disciplined. Don't let your mind get tied up in keeping up with the Jones' and social media.

Last but not least if you ever feel yourself slipping - just accept and own the harsh reality that if you don't take care of your business the only person you'll ultimately be able to blame is the person looking back at you in the mirror.

Last edited by MemphisAmbition; 06-07-2019 at 11:02 AM..
+3   

3 weeks ago '06        #7
LYTE 173 heat pts173
space
space
space
$16,365 | Props total: 9509 9509
 MemphisAmbition said
Fiscally responsible... I've been looking for a term that had a more positive ring than frugal. I've been saying financially discipline, but I like the sound of fiscally responsible better - thanks.
No problem
Got it from the old TV show The Game about 10 years or so
+1   

3 weeks ago '15        #8
KoolKai 186 heat pts186
space
space
$8,135 | Props total: 13771 13771
Shoot that eating out is no joke. It will drain your pockets.

3 weeks ago '10        #9
hbonnie23 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,097 | Props total: 1755 1755
the biggest thing here is stop eating out!!!!!
also pick between wifi or cable don't get both
take public transport if possible, don't buy luxury cars too much to fix
buy clothing based on need
its a boring life but it pays off.
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #10
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
$13,825 | Props total: 10571 10571
1. Purchasing your vehicle to be no more than $10k. MAINTAIN IT.
2. Ride a bike, if within a reasonable distance.
3. COUPONS. NEVER BUY RETAIL PRICE aka MSRP.
4. Eat healthier. I promise you will save money with this mindset. Meaning, black coffee/espressos, tea and water. A lean protein and lots of veggies. Oats and nuts. Etc.
5. If you plan to buy anything, always think of the price AND if you’ll get enough use of it. $50 shoes are overpriced if you only wear them once ($50/wear); however, $300 shoes are worth it if you end up wearing them at least 300 times, which will bring your unit cost to $1/wear.
6. If you choose to eat out, NO DRINKS and only tap water. Choose minimal ingredients. E.g. at Chipotle, I just get a 3-Pointer bowl (chicken and rice with extra chicken) for $7. If fills me up, has nearly 60-70 g of protein, etc.
+6   

3 weeks ago '07        #11
j_k1dd 9 heat pts
space
space
$3,268 | Props total: 1471 1471
As most have already stated, eating out creates the biggest hole in your wallet, unless you're eating at a Chinese place (which is more than likely cheap, large portions of unhealthy sh*t. Tasty though.)... and even then, you can still make it for cheap at home.

Meal planning and prepping saves you money and time, get into the habit. You'll also be more likely to incorporate healthy dishes into your meals.

Purchase a turbo cooker. Saves electricity, and cooks things a lot faster than your large conventional oven.

Don't be lazy, visit multiple stores to get the best value for your produce/meats. Keep notes and tabs on prices.

Save bones/skin/left over meat trims in a ziplock and freeze to preserve and prevent odor. Create broths for soup and other dishes, or to cook your rice/quinoa/grains for better flavour.
@ yes, ordering water is the wave when eating out. If they only have bottled, ask for a glass of tap.

Buy all non-parishables in bulk (if you have the space to store them, Canned foods, toilet paper, soap, anything without an expire date that you will be using often. Saves you time from shopping = money). Or take handfuls of paper towels/straws/salt and pepper from fast food places.

Don't go out to drink alcohol, just buy a bottle and pre-game before you go out. Bring a flask with you if you choose to go out.

If you're paying heat and water bills. Turn the shower off while you're soaping/shampooing. Only do laundry during off peak times. Wear your pants/sweaters at least 3x before throwing it in the laundry unless you get stains.

Invest in LED lights, or smart bulbs for the house.

Go halves on subscription services with your friends (netflix/spotify/microsoft office).

Last edited by j_k1dd; 06-04-2019 at 10:29 AM..
+2   

3 weeks ago '10        #12
DATKIDD121 57 heat pts57
space
space
$10,869 | Props total: 15425 15425
Good tips but I cannot drink water with food

No way

3 weeks ago '17        #13
OozeTheOracle 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,651 | Props total: 8671 8671
Don’t have kids
+2   

3 weeks ago '05        #14
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
 DATKIDD121 said
Good tips but I cannot drink water with food

No way
Okay. Drink water without food and eat without a drink.

3 weeks ago '10        #15
DATKIDD121 57 heat pts57
space
space
$10,869 | Props total: 15425 15425
 pnoi89 said
Okay. Drink water without food and eat without a drink.
I drink plenty of water daily I just can't wash down my food with it

Instant gag

3 weeks ago '06        #16
jester2trife 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,968 | Props total: 4384 4384
Cooking your own food is rule 1 2 & 3.

3 weeks ago '06        #17
Qbert 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,992 | Props total: 8534 8534
Get the audio book, Total Money Makeover.

No more debt.
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #18
Duntaz 70 heat pts70
space
space
$17,771 | Props total: 14941 14941
 hbonnie23 said
the biggest thing here is stop eating out!!!!!
also pick between wifi or cable don't get both
take public transport if possible, don't buy luxury cars too much to fix
buy clothing based on need
its a boring life but it pays off.
Doesn't have to be if you do it right. Cooking at home can be more fun than going out to eat honestly if you around the right people and you know how to cook what you want.
+1   

3 weeks ago '09        #19
mtva24 229 heat pts229
space
space
$9,216 | Props total: 2050 2050
 OozeTheOracle said
Don’t have kids
This....We pay $300/ a week for 2 kids in daycare...water rather than soda isn’t gonna get me that kind of savings lol
+2   

3 weeks ago '05        #20
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
Sooooo, I basically bike as my daily commute to work. Accounting for gas, maintenance, etc., you're basically saving ~$0.50 per mile by using something other than your vehicle to commute to work.

I also bought one of those Lime scooters with a 3 year warranty recently too for ~$450. I plan to use it to commute around my area and use my vehicle as little as I can and during days I'm too exhausted to just bike:

Some days, I'll plan to use it whenever I'm with the fam whenever they go out to the mall or whatever, and I'd like to check out other sh*t in the area on my own.

I used the scooter yesterday for the first time to scooter to the car shop to pick it up ~3-4 miles away from my house, since I already biked 15 miles that day. So far, so good. It'll be easy to break even on the scooter investment, as I already did for my road bikes.
+3   

3 weeks ago '10        #21
hbonnie23 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,097 | Props total: 1755 1755
 Duntaz said
Doesn't have to be if you do it right. Cooking at home can be more fun than going out to eat honestly if you around the right people and you know how to cook what you want.
agreed and when you get good it taste better than going out

3 weeks ago '18        #22
dinono10 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$410 | Props total: 1002 1002
If you is eating out then go to places with office or look for offers on relevant apps it's amazing how many offers that are these days by restaurants to entice you to eat there

Home      

most viewed right now
+41online now  43
Image(s) inside Dubai Visitor
46 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  38
Video inside Cardi B responds to people saying she's not black because she speaks Sp..
528 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  25
Video inside Grant Cardone: Buying Your House is One of the Dumbest Investments You ..
79 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+18online now  14
Article inside NYPD: Demond Amofah aka Etika has been found deceased
223 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy