Aug 14 - The hypersane are among us, if only we are prepared to look

most viewed right now
97 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The Bugle's page 2

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #1
157 page views
11 comments

Exs 539 heat pts539
space
space
$14,992 | Props total: 37116 37116
Aug 14 - The hypersane are among us, if only we are prepared to look

Hypersanity’ is not a common or accepted term. But neither did I make it up. I first came across the concept while training in psychiatry, in The Politics of Experience and the Bird of Paradise (1967) by R D Laing. In this book, the Scottish psychiatrist presented ‘madness’ as a voyage of discovery that could open out onto a free state of higher consciousness, or hypersanity. For Laing, the descent into madness could lead to a reckoning, to an awakening, to ‘break-through’ rather than ‘breakdown’.

The concept of hypersanity stuck in my mind, not least as something that I might aspire to for myself. But if there is such a thing as hypersanity, the implication is that mere sanity is not all it’s cracked up to be, a state of dormancy and dullness with less vital potential even than madness. This I think is most apparent in people’s frequently suboptimal – if not frankly inappropriate – responses, both verbal and behavioural, to the world around them. As Laing puts it:

The condition of alienation, of being asleep, of being unconscious, of being out of one’s mind, is the condition of the normal man.

Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal.

Normal men have k*lled perhaps 100,000,000 of their fellow normal men in the last 50 years.

Many ‘normal’ people suffer from not being hypersane: they have a restricted worldview, confused priorities, and are wracked by stress, anxiety and self-deception. As a result, they sometimes do dangerous things, and become fanatics or fascists or otherwise destructive (or not constructive) people. In contrast, hypersane people are calm, contained and constructive. It is not just that the ‘sane’ are irrational but that they lack scope and range, as though they’ve grown into the prisoners of their arbitrary lives, locked up in their own dark and narrow subjectivity. Unable to take leave of their selves, they hardly look around them, barely see beauty and possibility, rarely contemplate the bigger picture – and all, ultimately, for fear of losing their selves, of breaking down, of going mad, using one form of extreme subjectivity to defend against another, as life – mysterious, magical life – slips through their fingers.

We could all go mad, in a way we already are, minus the promise. But what if there were another route to hypersanity, one that, compared with madness, was less fearsome, less dangerous, and less damaging? What if, as well as a backdoor way, there were also a royal road strewn with sweet-scented petals? After all, Diogenes did not exactly go mad. Neither did other hypersane people such as Socrates and Confucius, although the Buddha did suffer, in the beginning, with what might today be classed as depression.

Besides Jung, are there any modern examples of hypersanity? Those who escaped from Plato’s cave of shadows were reluctant to crawl back down and involve themselves in the affairs of men, and most hypersane people, rather than courting the limelight, might prefer to hide out in their back gardens. But a few do rise to prominence for the difference that they felt compelled to make, people such as Nelson Mandela and Temple Grandin. And the hypersane are still among us: from the Dalai Lama to Jane Goodall, there are many candidates. While they might seem to be living in a world of their own, this is only because they have delved more deeply into the way things are than those ‘sane’ people around them.

https://aeon.co/ideas/the .. epared-to-look
+3   

best
worst
11 comments

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #2
Exs 539 heat pts539 OP
space
space
@ @ @ @ @ @ @

Last edited by Exs; 08-14-2019 at 11:20 AM..
+3   

6 days ago '05        #3
krissow 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,191 | Props total: 1624 1624
Biggup @ . This is the first time of come across the term Hypersane

interesting concept , that is more than categorisation.

Jim Carrey?
+1   

6 days ago '04        #4
d.c. supreme 33 heat pts33
space
space
$16,175 | Props total: 17549 17549
i know a couple people who had themselves committed and at first its shocking to hear because they were some of the most sentient and wise people i knew but it made sense after getting over the initial "committed" buzz word. they had mental breakdowns got diagnosed with severe depression but weren't committed long (voluntary so they could sign themselves out) because they quickly realized their problems were clearly not as bad as most of the people in there with legit paranoid schizophrenia etc.

most "normal" people live with blinders as a matter of self preservation. it's the easiest way to can keep control of their sense of self. that's why they're scared to try hallucinogens in a responsible way, meditate or be alone with their thoughts and always have to be surrounded by people with no awkward silences. they don't want to lose control, scared of the unknown. but the unknown is how you make gains mentally, letting go of your ego for a bit so you can see the bigger picture outside of yourself.

don't be scared to dip your toe into the unknown fellas, it ain't as scary as you think.
+4   

6 days ago '16        #5
BathWaterMelody 57 heat pts57
space
space
$8,899 | Props total: 32625 32625

preach..

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #6
Exs 539 heat pts539 OP
space
space
 d.c. supreme said
i know a couple people who had themselves committed and at first its shocking to hear because they were some of the most sentient and wise people i knew but it made sense after getting over the initial "committed" buzz word. they had mental breakdowns got diagnosed with severe depression but weren't committed long (voluntary so they could sign themselves out) because they quickly realized their problems were clearly not as bad as most of the people in there with legit paranoid schizophrenia etc.

most "normal" people live with blinders as a matter of self preservation. it's the easiest way to can keep control of their sense of self. that's why they're scared to try hallucinogens in a responsible way, meditate or be alone with their thoughts and always have to be surrounded by people with no awkward silences. they don't want to lose control, scared of the unknown. but the unknown is how you make gains mentally, letting go of your ego for a bit so you can see the bigger picture outside of yourself.

don't be scared to dip your toe into the unknown fellas, it ain't as scary as you think.
powerful post!

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #7
Exs 539 heat pts539 OP
space
space
 krissow said
Biggup @ . This is the first time of come across the term Hypersane

interesting concept , that is more than categorisation.

Jim Carrey?
yeah pretty much to the T. He as hypersane as it comes... and to think for the longest critics, pundits and commentators labeled him as "insane"

there lies a deep rooted resentment/inferiority complex between the sane and hypersane and until thats addressed head on the stigma of someone being "off their rocker" or "different" will linger.

we're so focused on the physical though.... sensationalizing wars on race/s*xuality and gender etc.... its really on the hypersane to just do their thing at their pace and rest in the confidence of paving their own lane... this isn't a cry for attention like so many of the other causes/personality attributes people cling to this day and age. ... this is saying "we here now... dont get scared now"

6 days ago '05        #8
krissow 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,191 | Props total: 1624 1624
 Exs said
yeah pretty much to the T. He as hypersane as it comes... and to think for the longest critics, pundits and commentators labeled him as "insane"

there lies a deep rooted resentment/inferiority complex between the sane and hypersane and until thats addressed head on the stigma of someone being "off their rocker" or "different" will linger.

we're so focused on the physical though.... sensationalizing wars on race/s*xuality and gender etc.... its really on the hypersane to just do their thing at their pace and rest in the confidence of paving their own lane... this isn't a cry for attention like so many of the other causes/personality attributes people cling to this day and age. ... this is saying "we here now... dont get scared now"
ah yes

free is seen as insane .. but often it does take breaking the seel to reach clarity
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #9
Exs 539 heat pts539 OP
space
space
 krissow said
ah yes

free is seen as insane .. but often it does take breaking the seel to reach clarity
even more... unless the individual is on a self actualized path it's very hard for him/her to even know that they are as awakened as they are
+1   

6 days ago '15        #10
PineappleOG 51 heat pts51
space
space
$10,481 | Props total: 23551 23551
The article mentions the cave allegory and that’s really the best analogy when looking at sanity. It really is the difference between Being and Seeming. I find it odd that “sane” people don’t behave on what they know. That is what separates the wise from the intelligent and knowledgeable, wisdom is knowing what to do with knowledge and intelligence. This is how you hear of super smart people getting caught up in dumb sh*t, like some intellectual who rightfully been me too’d then you think how this mother fu*ker can explain and understand a black hole but is oblivious to how their behavior makes someone uncomfortable.
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  6 days ago '04        #11
Exs 539 heat pts539 OP
space
space
 PineappleOG said
The article mentions the cave allegory and that’s really the best analogy when looking at sanity. It really is the difference between Being and Seeming. I find it odd that “sane” people don’t behave on what they know. That is what separates the wise from the intelligent and knowledgeable, wisdom is knowing what to do with knowledge and intelligence. This is how you hear of super smart people getting caught up in dumb sh*t, like some intellectual who rightfully been me too’d then you think how this mother fu*ker can explain and understand a black hole but is oblivious to how their behavior makes someone uncomfortable.
indeed. intelligent action manifested through intelligent thought might be a rare c*cktail in today's world.... especially when you factor in the source of the information/knowledge that so many " smart" people are intaking from.

The Blue Church is how it's colloquially referred to

Ivy League schools
big business thinktanks
elitists outposts
mainstream media
+2   

6 days ago '15        #12
Good Guy Ry 26 heat pts26
space
space
$14,596 | Props total: 37103 37103
Great thread content combined with thoughtful responses, good looks on the mention.

That last paragraph is resonating cause I always get told I'm in my own lil world. No where near the enlightenment/wisdom of the people mentioned but I try to see things for what they are.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  31
TraxNYC and Ben Baller beefin (Jewerlly n****s)
114 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  31
Satanist In The Suburbs (Vice Series)
74 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+20online now  20
Is Jayz a sell out yes or no?
163 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+158online now  13
NFL Shannon Sharpe is the only person I agree with about this cap, jay z, NFL ..
116 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy