'House of the Dragon': Emma D'Arcy and Olivia Cooke Discuss How Patriarchy Rules Westeros

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '18        #1
687 page views
16 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x169
Props total: 207688 207 K  Slaps total: 7727 7 K
'House of the Dragon': Emma D'Arcy and Olivia Cooke Discuss How Patriarchy Rules Westeros

"House of the Dragon has come midseason with Episode 5, "We Light the Way." After watching a young Rhaenyra (Milly Alcock) and Alicent (Emily Carey) being dictated by the politics of men, the show will now take a decade-long leap to continue with that power struggle. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly actors Emma D’Arcy and Olivia Cooke, who are set to take over the roles from Alcock and Carey as Rhaenyra and Alicent, respectively, discussed the themes of the show and the power dynamics between their grownup characters.

The seven kingdoms of Westeros are a deeply patriarchal society, it was established with the first shot of the series which sees Viserys being chosen the King over Rhaenys, the Queen who never was. D’Arcy explains that the continued “consolidation of male power and patriarchy” is what really excited them about the script. Further explaining that the Princess has “privilege but not power” due to prevailing patriarchy. “It's one thing to put two female characters in the center of a series like this," D'Arcy continued, "but it's another when they are positioned within a patriarchy. How do we pay attention to them at least seeking command of their own lives?” Cooke agrees saying, Alicent “struggles with her womanhood and the power.” We last saw the Queen as she realizes the consequences of her misplaced trust and her father’s final warning shaking her to the core. The actor explains the part “she does have to play that is completely separate from her husband or her father or even her children. And also, just moralistically where she stands when she isn't listening to her father anymore.”

Essentially, D’Arcy explains that it’s about “othering,” revealing that showrunners Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal have created a program where the story is told from the perspective of a character who is “fundamentally othered in a position of power.” Adding, “That feels really unusual to me. How do you convince an electorate that you're not other? How do you do that when the whole system is built on the belief and the rule that you are not the same?” Cooke shares their sentiment as Alicent’s role has been limited to birthing heirs, something that the series has been vocal about in Episode 4, when Rhaenyra remarks, "How romantic it must be to get imprisoned in a castle and made to squeeze out heirs," and quickly apologizes. Cooke said, "Our bodies [as women] continue to be politicized. It's interesting playing a character that is in a medieval time and [seeing] how those things are still going on."

On one hand, we have Rhaenyra, the heir to the throne with rumored illegitimate kids and on the other, we have Alicent who walks a tightrope of being a ‘lady’ for her entire life while being forced in whichever direction the men in her life see fit. Cooke revealed, "Just the injustice of it that she feels... She looks around her family, and they're all f—ed up. She's like, 'I've been so perfect all my life. I haven't taken a step wrong, and it doesn't f—ing matter.' I think what we see in her evolution is this complete existential crisis." She attributes the rivalry between the two to this in justice as well as the loss of her friendship with Rhaenyra, "I think it's the first proper heartbreak, and the first only heartbreak that [Alicent's] had because it was such a pure love."

The new episode of House of the Dragon drops on September 25, meanwhile, check out the teaser below:"

visit this link https://collider.com/hous .. rchy-comments/
+2   

best
worst
16 comments

2 weeks ago '04        #2
cuzjuan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11807 11 K  Slaps total: 4692 4 K
just got caught up.. the pedo sh*t running wild on this show...
the brutality of cave men go unmatched...
+1   

2 weeks ago '11        #3
SiekaSiklo 
Props total: 2766 2 K  Slaps total: 178 178
Yea big lesbo vibes from Alicent and Rhaenarya
+2   

2 weeks ago '20        #4
CorleoneShakur  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 5051 5 K  Slaps total: 1215 1 K
Can’t wait for this girl power era to be over, I don’t care about womens struggle against men making them live right.
+12   

2 weeks ago '12        #5
TrillSwag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 73229 73 K  Slaps total: 13181 13 K
 CorleoneShakur said
Can’t wait for this girl power era to be over, I don’t care about womens struggle against men making them live right.
Then don’t watch it loser.

2 weeks ago '20        #6
 TrillSwag said
Then don’t watch it loser.
You emotional just like one of these girls. Go watch some football chump
+5   

2 weeks ago '12        #7
 CorleoneShakur said
Lol at thinking watching football makes you manly. God damn I see why your a bitter incel lol

2 weeks ago '12        #8
 CorleoneShakur said
Lol at thinking watching football makes you manly. God damn I see why your a bitter incel loser

2 weeks ago '20        #9
 TrillSwag said
Lol at thinking watching football makes you manly. God damn I see why your a bitter incel loser
You’re Name calling on a msg board because I posted my opinion about a feminist article. You have issues. Carry on
+1   

2 weeks ago '22        #10
Jeffrey in 813 
Props total: 3050 3 K  Slaps total: 1413 1 K
 CorleoneShakur said
Can’t wait for this white girl power era to be over, I don’t care about womens struggle against men making them live right.
Fixed

The bullsh*t we're seeing now is just a bunch of entitled fake "woke" feminazi c*nts who saw how much support BLM got and decided they want in on that kind of action.

TrillSwag said
Lol at thinking watching football makes you manly. God damn I see why your a bitter incel lol
You sit down to p*ss and have a loose bussy just like everyone else who hates Kevin Samuels
+3   

2 weeks ago '12        #11
 Jeffrey in 813 said
Fixed

The bullsh*t we're seeing now is just a bunch of entitled fake "woke" feminazi c*nts who saw how much support BLM got and decided they want in on that kind of action.

You sit down to p*ss and have a loose bussy just like everyone else who hates Kevin Samuels
There is dudes who do both will break your jaw in seconds. I hope you’re a teenager lol. You got a cavemen idea of a man. Pissing standing in your home is unhygienic af you dirty piece of sh*t. You probably don’t wash your hands when use the bathroom because it’s gay to have good smelling clean hands lol

2 weeks ago '21        #12
MilliBailey 
Props total: 3922 3 K  Slaps total: 587 587
I don't wanna imdb the new princess. I'm tryin to think where i seen her before first. I never seen the first 2 in anything to my knowledge. Was it a slasher or somethin? I'm gonna rely in my movie memory lol

2 weeks ago '22        #13
Jeffrey in 813 
 TrillSwag said
There is dudes who do both will break your jaw in seconds. I hope you’re a teenager lol. You got a cavemen idea of a man. Pissing standing in your home is unhygienic af you dirty piece of sh*t. You probably don’t wash your hands when use the bathroom because it’s gay to have good smelling clean hands lol
You deadass just defended sitting down to p*ss and this whole time I thought you were a male

So either you're a full blown f*g**t or a bi*ch
+2   

2 weeks ago '12        #14
 Jeffrey in 813 said
You deadass just defended sitting down to p*ss and this whole time I thought you were a male

So either you're a full blown f*g**t or a bi*ch
So you p*ss standing in your own home? You’re disgusting that’s only for public bathrooms you degenerate scumbag. Lmao @ personal hygiene being a female . You wonder why you can’t get pu**y smh

1 week ago '22        #15
Jeffrey in 813 
 TrillSwag said
So you p*ss standing in your own home? You’re disgusting that’s only for public bathrooms you degenerate scumbag. Lmao @ personal hygiene being a female . You wonder why you can’t get pu**y smh
bi*ch shut the fu*k up and pop that pu**y 'fore I r*pe you

1 week ago '12        #16
 Jeffrey in 813 said
bi*ch shut the fu*k up and pop that pu**y 'fore I r*pe you
Haha virgin incel

1 week ago '22        #17
Jeffrey in 813 
 TrillSwag said
Haha virgin incel
Nah babygirl just know you won't be the first nor the last

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+23online now  42
Which One of Y'all Done Seeded up Jada Stevens?
221 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+17online now  29
Video inside humping dog phone charger
38 comments
23 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+33online now  28
Video inside BREAKING: Tony Yayo Apologizes to Math Hoffa for his Interview (VladTV)
116 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside Disgruntled Old Nicki Taking Shots at the Young Queen Latto
139 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy