All Xbox Series X games will be cross gen for at least 2 years

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
-37  35
53 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '17        #1
2697 page views
107 comments

SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 45178 45 K  Slaps total: 10982 10 K
All Xbox Series X games will be cross gen for at least 2 years

visit this link https://www.mcvuk.com/we- .. uture-of-xbox/

“All of our games… will play up and down that family of devices” – Xbox’s Matt booty ends the next-gen exclusive as we know it

This is the bullsh*t yall caping for image

This company is dumber than Sega at the end of its run. Game Pass will be coming to PS5 and Switch real soon, even the Alienware Switch.

Hellbent on ruining gaming

best
worst
107 comments

3 weeks ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
space
space
It’s now been over six years since the troubled launch of the Xbox One and another 10 months or so until we see the release of Microsoft’s Xbox Series X. Yet despite all that, we’ve never seen a platform holder less in need of a next-gen boost than Microsoft is now.

That confidence came through in every interview, and casual chat, we had at Microsoft’s X019 meeting late last year. Across the board there’s momentum, fresh ideas and a sense of focus around Microsoft’s gaming arm at present. The platform is buzzing.

The current Xbox One X is among the best console designs of all time, the new console looks ground-breaking, the xCloud preview is progressing well, Xbox Game Pass is the closest thing gaming has to Netflix, and the company’s swathe of studio acquisitions are starting to bring their creative firepower to bear.

In charge of the latter is Matt booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, who we caught up with to discuss how Microsoft’s now 15 internal studios were faring, how they fit into the plan for the Series X and whether any more acquisitions were on the cards.

It would be easy to think that Microsoft’s veritable army of developers would be targeting the Series X’s launch day. But booty agrees with us when we propose that this will be a very different kind of console launch, with first-party games being compatible across all Microsoft’s hardware, existing and new, ending the usual platform reset we’ve seen in the past with such launches.

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

And that means it’s also unlikely that there will be much pressure, from Microsoft at least, on third-party publishers to turn out hardware-exclusive titles for the relatively small day-one audience of Xbox Series X owners. In short, Microsoft is rewriting the rules of the console launch.

Of course, the company will still be wanting to show off its new hardware to best effect. “Our approach is to pick one or two IP that we’re going to focus on and make sure that they’re there at the launch of the console, taking advantage of all the features. And for us that’s going to be Halo Infinite, which is a big opportunity.

“It’s the first time in over 15 years that we’ll have a Halo title launching in sync with a new console. And that team is definitely going to be doing things to take advantage of [Series X].”

We’re yet to see in what ways Infinite will utilise Series X’s huge rumoured power. But it will be the first test to see if Microsoft’s new first-party army can compete with Sony’s current-gen masterclass of first-party releases.

We frankly ask if the Master Chief and Xbox Game Studios are ready to go toe-to-toe and compete with Sony this time around. In reply, booty immediately acknowledges the huge role that Sony’s first-party has played in this generation.

“First of all, Sony’s done a fantastic job just across the board in terms of what they’ve done with building an audience, selling consoles, obviously, a number of amazing, great games that have come out of their first party teams. I try to stay away from framing things as a head-to-head bout with Sony, instead I think that it’s just up to us to focus on three things. First of all, we need to deliver on the promises that we make. So if we say a game is going to ship at a certain time, we’ve got to get that done, we just need to get better at executing.”

This is an intriguing statement as Xbox hasn’t, publicly at least, missed many release dates in this generation. Though booty did oversee the delayed and then cancelled Minecraft Super Duper Graphics Pack. But maybe this just shows that the platform wanted more of its own titles out earlier in Xbox One’s lifespan.

booty continues: “We need to make sure that we hold the bar high on quality, and that we’re releasing games that we can be proud of and that the fans can be proud of as Xbox exclusives.” So while booty isn’t keen to make this out as a head-to-head, most Xbox fans will be measuring the games against Sony and any pride will come from being at least in parity with PlayStation.

“And then lastly, we need to continue building characters, stories and worlds that can transcend generations, devices and platforms. You know, if you look into things like the Marvel characters or Lord of the Rings, when those Marvel characters were first invented in the 1960s, nobody knew that there was going to be a thing called Netflix.

“But yet, here we are. And, you know, the Marvel library figures heavily into video streaming. And so I think we are lucky to have worlds and universes like Halo, where there’s characters that can support TV series, books, comic books and all kinds of games. Things like Minecraft that can ship on 23 platforms, and is in schools, and we just need to stay focused on building those kinds of things that really will be generational and last for a while. And I think that if we do that the rest will take care of itself.”

Such grand ambitions are admirable, but there’s just a touch of the Xbox One launch in this kind of transmedia talk, which makes us somewhat nervous. After all, you can’t try and create characters like Minecraft’s Creeper, Pikachu, Mario or Lara Croft, you just try and make great content and (sometimes) they come

Of course, having a mind-boggling fifteen studios at your disposal certainly tilts the odds in your favour when you’re trying to create something that will stand the test of time. That said, more is always helpful, so is Microsoft planning any further acquisitions?

Life is Strange creator, Dontnod, is working on Tell Me Why, an Xbox and PC exclusive to be published by Microsoft, which features a transgender protagonist
“We may or we may not acquire more studios down the road,” says booty, hedging. “But I think that we hit a point where we had gone through a phase of adding new studios. And that’s a lot of work to make sure that we get the studios onboarded correctly, that we make sure that everyone feels secure.

“Every studio has its own culture, their own way of thinking. We put a lot of energy into making sure they understand that their culture will be preserved, they’ll be unique,” he says reassuringly. “We’ve done enough of that and now we need to just shift over to working on the games.

“That’s then a whole separate process to make sure that they have the right resources – that they’re well supported. So it’s really just been to make sure that we’re being deliberate about both phases. Because I think that we could, not that we would do this, but we could just keep going and buy more-and-more studios, and then maybe wake up one day and realise, like, ‘wait a minute, we need to focus on making the games.’ We need to keep the end goal in mind, which is to make sure that we have a steady slate of games.”

Pressed on what a steady slate is from his point of view, booty replies: “The capacity to deliver, say, a game every three or four months, which is our goal.” Which goes a long way to explain his previous comments on “ship[ping] at a certain time” as with a release schedule that busy, games need to launch in their chosen windows or else things will get very messy, very quickly.

Another reason to pause that acquisition process is to help build relationships between the teams.

“We have this amazing collection of 15 studio leaders, and if we’re always acquiring new things, there will always be somebody who’s the new person, you always have the the older studios and the newer studios, and what you don’t get in that situation is them treating each other as peers and sharing information or expertise.”

booty wants Microsoft’s studios on a level playing field then, rather than having a tiered feel?

“Yes, we’d rather think of them as a group of peers.”

The studios might be set up on a level playing field, but someone, booty in this case, still has to manage and appraise their progress. So how involved is the executive in the games of his charges?

“As a principle, I try to stay out of the creative process as much as possible The last thing our studios need is me coming in. I enjoy making games, I enjoy the craft of games. And I’ll sit in our studios, if they let me, all day and talk to the people making them. But I think it’s my job to be more neutral, and really make sure that the studios are supported, and they have the resources they need, as opposed to me trying to play game designer.” An approach that will come as some relief to any team that’s laboured under intrusive management.

Now, while booty isn’t pushing his personal take on the games, he is instead bringing to bear a wide variety of feedback tools to gauge where the teams are at.

“Now we’re fortunate that we have a lot of ways that we can check on the progress of a game. We have a very sophisticated user research group inside Xbox in Redmond, that’s available to test the games and get people to come in and play them, in a very systematic, scientific way, so that we can measure the progress.

“We also have a number of people with 10-20-25 years of experience that will play things along the way and start to give us an opinion. And then we also work with journalists and people that can come in and say: ‘Hey, compared to other games like this, here’s how I think this one is shaping up.’

“I’d much rather work with other groups to give feedback on the games and make sure that I’m supporting them to build the game that’s in their head and see their vision through, because the last thing they need is the executive people coming in and playing game designer,” be reiterates.

With Halo Infinite leading the charge for the Xbox Series X, it’s intriguing to find out if the game is pulling in resources from other studios in the group. But booty is definite that this isn’t the case, with each studio having its own IP (or IPs to work on).

Details are slim about Rare’s brand-new IP Everwild, but it promises to offer “new ways of playing in a natural and magical world”
“The answer is no. We do have studios that have multiple teams within them. So for example, we announced Everwild, a new IP from Rare; that is a second team that we’re spinning up under Louise O’Connor’s leadership and creative direction, that will be a second team that exists in parallel to the team at Rare that’s already working on Sea of Thieves and will continue to work on that game. So there will be two teams. While at 343 they’re working on Halo Infinite. But they’re also working on bringing things like Halo Reach to PC to join the Master Chief Collection.

“But what we aren’t doing right now is for example, saying, ‘hey, could half of the Minecraft team go work on Sea of Thieves?’ I think that would just be very tough with the way we run our studios. They each have their own cultures, they each have their own toolsets, their own technology. And they certainly are sharing a lot of information, techniques and expertise. But we’re not at the point where we would want to move people around from studio to studio.”

Instead the studios will use the typical external development resources to a*sist them. “All of our studios will work with outside development help. Games have just gotten so big and so complicated, and I think it’s really very rare for any studio to not have development partners.”

So with fifteen studios all working on their own IPs. That’s a lot of content, and all that content, as we’re all aware, is there to feed the voracious maw of Xbox Game Pass. We ask booty about his take on a comment made by Phil Spencer, about how Game Pass was a great place for games with a “a beginning, a middle and an end” as opposed to the shift to service-type titles in recent years. So does booty feel that there should be more such titles?

“I don’t think that there should, it’s a little bit like, should there be more sci fi movies, or should there be more spy novels? I don’t know. It’s based on what people want to watch and want to read. We don’t try to be directive on the content, but the great thing about Game Pass is that we don’t have to actually worry about that question,” he states intriguingly. “That’s because Game Pass becomes the service, Game Pass becomes the structure. And now, in our green light and concept review process, I don’t need to ask: ‘What’s your service plan, what’s your monetization plan, are you going to offer any DLC later, what is your monetization?’ We don’t have to ask any of that anymore, the teams can just go design the game that they want. And we can let Game Pass end up being the service.

“So to return to your question, should there be more standalone single player games that take about 20 hours to play? It seems like Outer Worlds is doing pretty good. Maybe there’s a lack of those titles right now, and that people like a game that’s about 20 hours with a beginning, a middle and an end.

“But I think on a higher level, it’s something we don’t have to worry about anymore, because whether it is a game like Bleeding Edge, which structurally starts to look more like a free-to-play game, more like a service-based game, that will do fine in Game Pass. And if we end up coming out with another game like Hellblade or Outer Worlds, which is a 12 hour or a 25 hour game that you play and enjoy, and then it kind of has an ending. That’s great in Game Pass too. So that’s really the power of Game Pass.”

It’s a persuasive point. For while many have been identifying Game Pass as a renaissance for the double-A game, the largely linear titles that gamers traditionally played consecutively in the heydays of physical retail, it also has huge potential as a provider of service games, without the need to monetise players in-game at every turn.

“So really, there’s the type of content there for just about any kind of gamer. And I think that’s what gamers should now expect.”

Xbox looks to have its thinking straight and its ducks all in a line. It’s often the case that the approach of the parent company to a gaming arm can be disruptive, but Xbox seems to have applied Microsoft’s customer-centric, platform-centric, service-first philosophies to its gaming business with some flair.

Whether Game Pass ends up being the stable, long-term, development-funding goliath that everyone wants it to be is very much an ongoing question. As is whether a platform holder possessing this broad a range of development firepower is healthy for the industry as a whole. But Microsoft is undoubtedly in a good place and one that’s easy to understand from the outside. And that clarity, more likely than not, bodes well for its partners.

Full article. Yikes

3 weeks ago '05        #3
Chuck_Remixed 
space
space
Props total: 9751 9 K  Slaps total: 433 433
Well it was reported last year that they were going to do this so i am not surprised. I guess they want every penny they can possibly get early on from their studios.

Last edited by Chuck_Remixed; 01-10-2020 at 12:11 PM..

3 weeks ago '19        #4
AndyMuller 
space
space
Props total: 110 110  Slaps total: 41 41
Xbox is trash.

3 weeks ago '05        #5
Krazie 
space
space
Props total: 27495 27 K  Slaps total: 3219 3 K
+6   

3 weeks ago '19        #6
Mo Biches 
space
space
Props total: 217 217  Slaps total: 44 44
Was Xbox one really that much of a failure? I’m a Sony dude at heart but I only have a Xbox right now and it suffices for Madden and sh*t like that
+12   

3 weeks ago '17        #7
space
space
 Mo Biches said
Was Xbox one really that much of a failure? I’m a Sony dude at heart but I only have a Xbox right now and it suffices for Madden and sh*t like that
It really was. If not for multiplats, it would be one of the worst libraries ever.

3 weeks ago '17        #8
Cant Read Sh1t 
space
space
Props total: 17541 17 K  Slaps total: 1725 1 K
 Mo Biches said

yep, widely regarded as one of the biggest failures and fall-offs ever in gaming

3 weeks ago '19        #9
zzxxccvvbb 
space
space
space
Props total: 7132 7 K  Slaps total: 1024 1 K
Good, the first two years of consoles are often just a victory lap collecting money off upping the resolution of old games
+3   

3 weeks ago '17        #10
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 78722 78 K  Slaps total: 4847 4 K
 SPdaGOAT said
It really was. If not for multiplats, it would be one of the worst libraries ever.
I mean the Xbox division only makes billions for Microsoft so yeah, it is a failure to them.

+12   

3 weeks ago '17        #11
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 78722 78 K  Slaps total: 4847 4 K
 Cant Read Sh1t said
yep, widely regarded as one of the biggest failures and fall-offs ever in gaming
Ever? Biggest fall off is not making money. Even though they're not selling at Switch or PS4 rates the division still makes billions for Microsoft. A fall off is the Atari division during the game crash, the Wii U, or the Sega Saturn. Yeah they screwed themselves but you don't fall off and still cash out.
+8   

3 weeks ago '17        #12
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
I mean the Xbox division only makes billions for Microsoft so yeah, it is a failure to them.

What does that have to do with the quality of games?

3 weeks ago '17        #13
Cant Read Sh1t 
space
space
Props total: 17541 17 K  Slaps total: 1725 1 K
 Naga Sadow said
Ever? Biggest fall off is not making money. Even though they're not selling at Switch or PS4 rates the division still makes billions for Microsoft. A fall off is the Atari division during the game crash, the Wii U, or the Sega Saturn. Yeah they screwed themselves but you don't fall off and still cash out.

they lost more money on the Xbox one than they've made off of it

3 weeks ago '16        #14
LOW LIFE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 21917 21 K  Slaps total: 4027 4 K
Of course Xbox making sh*t load of money. They found everyway to squeeze money out of gamers. I wouldn't be surprised if their consoles start showing ads.

Wii U was more innovative and had a better catalog than Xbox One but keep paying for "Super Gold Live" memberships and play the same tired a*s games in "NATIVE 4K 60FPS".

3 weeks ago '06        #15
Kingme 
space
space
Props total: 14808 14 K  Slaps total: 2797 2 K
The full quote reads:

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

Wonder why a PlayStation Stan would leave out "sort of like a PC"

You know how you can play GTAV on a PS3 and on a $2000+ PC and they look vastly different...the same goes for playing a game on the Series X vs playing on an Xbox1 or 1x.

Sony Stans suffering from console war ptsd are nervous as fu*k trying spin sh*t this early

I hope PS5 games are forward compatible with the PS4 because I'm a gamer and I know that games have been scaling graphics back to adapt to older hardware for decades on computers and it's about time consoles do the same

If you got a PS4 pro you better hope Sony does the same thing because the 1st couple of years on new consoles never utilize the full capabilities and by the time they do...you're probably gonna want a PS5 pro
+6   

3 weeks ago '04        #16
CrAkKedOuT 
space
space
space
Props total: 20944 20 K  Slaps total: 2927 2 K
Cross gen for 2 years, seems like their ending support for XbX earlier than usual. Nice.
+1   

3 weeks ago '19        #17
Free my soul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 3363 3 K  Slaps total: 1265 1 K
So this means to not upgrade to the next Xbox until 2 years after it comes out?
+3   

3 weeks ago '17        #18
space
space
 Kingme said
The full quote reads:

Wonder why a PlayStation Stan would leave out "sort of like a PC"

You know how you can play GTAV on a PS3 and on a $2000+ PC and they look vastly different...the same goes for playing a game on the Series X vs playing on an Xbox1 or 1x.

Sony Stans suffering from console war ptsd are nervous as fu*k trying spin sh*t this early

I hope PS5 games are forward compatible with the PS4 because I'm a gamer and I know that games have been scaling graphics back to adapt to older hardware for decades on computers and it's about time consoles do the same

If you got a PS4 pro you better hope Sony does the same thing because the 1st couple of years on new consoles never utilize the full capabilities and by the time they do...you're probably gonna want a PS5 pro
How did I leave that out when I posted the full article?

Why would I buy a next gen console if it's not gonna have next gen games? Between this and Game Pass, Microsoft keeps giving us reasons to not buy this console.

Why would anyone wait for a PS5 Pro when the base PS4 can play every game just fine? From death Stranding all the way to k*llzone, a launch title that utilized the Playstation 4's capabilities, my base PS4 runs just fine.

Microsoft is gonna give upscale current gens with a few enhancements and shove them down your throat for two years. They're going to make Xbox 1 games and port them to Series X dawg why would I buy the system in the first two years? You not even gonna be using half of the rumored teraflops.

I dont know how yall keep caping for this company. They keep trying to do everything except make good games.

3 weeks ago '11        #19
megalomaniacal 
space
space
Props total: 10479 10 K  Slaps total: 1441 1 K
Duh there’s a 100 million player fan base that has to move over

3 weeks ago '05        #20
HARBINGER 
space
space
Props total: 17208 17 K  Slaps total: 5811 5 K
I'm pretty much in. I dont watch tv or pay for movie and tv subscriptions so this is basically my down time when im not working. that money ain't going anywhere else
+4   

3 weeks ago '11        #21
Ejoly 
space
space
Props total: 186 186  Slaps total: 100 100
It spdagoat jezzman 2.0? Why do you try so hard to discredit xbox, it doesn't help the gameing community at all. Just play games. Its 2020 stop this xbox vs Sony bs
+10   

3 weeks ago '17        #22
space
space
 megalomaniacal said
Duh there’s a 100 million player fan base that has to move over
Where?

3 weeks ago '11        #23
megalomaniacal 
space
space
Props total: 10479 10 K  Slaps total: 1441 1 K
 SPdaGOAT said
Where?
between pc and xbox players
+2   

3 weeks ago '08        #24
gagethedesigner 
space
space
Props total: 1286 1 K  Slaps total: 313 313
 SPdaGOAT said
Why would anyone wait for a PS5 Pro when the base PS4 can play every game just fine?
n*gga that sh*t sounds like a jet engine trying to play recent games on it, base ps4 be struggling lol.
+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #25
cuzjuan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 4731 4 K  Slaps total: 2111 2 K
 SPdaGOAT said
i dont agree fully, financially.. not at all.
this was the era they really took games as a service to the next level with game pass, announcing xplay, adding remote play, and cross plat (xbox/pc only) game play save progression.

and if the goal of selling consoles is solely for game sales and licensing, then xbox has achieved just that by kinda skipping the console all together giving you the choice to play on pc while still getting the % and $ for us playing on their platform.

that's the technical side of things, but this is how it looks....

like you said, their 1st party games were lacking... not because they were bad per say, they just werent stacking up to sonys line up.. cause xbox1 did have great games like sunset overdrive, gears 5, rome son of wht ever, tomb raider. but they werent stacking up to games like death stranding, drake fortune, spider man, god of war and the like...

so i can give you that.. xbx was putting out games that were in the 70%'s while PS was putting out games in the 80%'s-95%'s type games....

adding to the botched launch, even though i re-listen to it now, and they didnt say anything thats pretty much not already come to pass any way
but either way that messed them up.

and because of that, not retaining the 80 million install base (not to say they dont have these customers per say, they just didnt buy into the xbox console but still might be a pc customer) they had exiting the 360 era... they slipped up!!!

it happens, but perception wise.. it made them seem like they fell from grace.. and adding to the fact the games that launched the system werent master peices to make ppl forget about the soft launch, inevitably receiving poor reception, thus bringing us here.

but back to ur statement... if you think selling 50 million of anything at anywhere from 250$-600$ is a failure... and thats the console not the individual services.

but once you add on the services... it's outta here man, cause u got 360 owners to xb1x owners paying for the service... and as i said the consoles are already lucrative doing 50 mil costing us a third to almost double the price we paid for the 360... so even if they didnt have that 1/3 in adoption rate lost in the gen transition, the services made up for it.. and the console paid for it self
no L's were financially taken, public perception took the biggest hit, not the pockets!
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+194online now  21
Been watching new, tributes, memorials of Kob all day, figured a bit out
68 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+212online now  20