Dec 3 - South Koreans Are Sending Themselves To Jail To Avoid The Stress Of Daily Life

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '04        #1
2386 page views
39 comments

mr_underground|m 2110 heat pts2110
space
space
$24,198 | Props total: 34318 34318
Dec 3 - South Koreans Are Sending Themselves To Jail To Avoid The Stress Of Daily Life

Thousand of people are locking themselves up as a way to get out of work.

HONGCHEON, South Korea (Reuters) - For most people, prison is a place to escape from. For South Koreans in need of a break from the demands of everyday life, a day in a faux jail is the escape.

“This prison gives me a sense of freedom,” said Park Hye-ri, a 28-year-old office worker who paid $90 to spend 24 hours locked up in a mock prison.

Since 2013, the “Prison Inside Me” facility in northeast Hongcheon has hosted more than 2,000 inmates, many of them stressed office workers and students seeking relief from South Korea’s demanding work and academic culture.

“I was too busy,” said Park as she sat in a 5-sq-m (54-sq-foot) cell. “I shouldn’t be here right now, given the work I need to do. But I decided to pause and look back at myself for a better life.”

Prison rules are strict. No talking with other inmates. No mobile phones or clocks.

Clients get a blue prison uniform, a yoga mat, tea set, a pen and notebook. They sleep on the floor. There is a small toilet inside the room, but no mirror.

The menu includes steamed sweet potato and a banana shake for dinner, and rice porridge for breakfast.

Co-founder Noh Ji-Hyang said the mock prison was inspired by her husband, a prosecutor who often put in 100-hour work weeks.

“He said he would rather go into solitary confinement for a week to take a rest and feel better,” she said. “That was the beginning.”

A downturn in South Korea’s high-tech, export-driven economy has intensified a hyper-competitive school and work environment that experts say adds to a high incidence of stress and suicide.

South Koreans worked 2,024 hours on average in 2017, the third longest after Mexico and Costa Rica, in a survey of 36 member countries in the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

To help people work less and earn more, the government has raised the minimum wage and cut the legal cap on working hours to 52 per week from 68. But the policies could backfire and put at risk more jobs than they create, economists say.

Noh said some customers are wary of spending 24 or 48 hours in a prison cell, until they try it.

“After a stay in the prison, people say, ‘This is not a prison, the real prison is where we return to,’” she said.

visit this link https://www.reuters.com/a .. rce=reddit.com
+8   

39 comments for "Dec 3 - South Koreans Are Sending Themselves To Jail To Avoid The Stress Of Daily Life"

1 week ago '17        #2
lucifershammer 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,948 | Props total: 19323 19323
people think iam crazy when i say Indentured servitude will make a comeback in the west

and the dormitories will look like jail houses
+8   

1 week ago '14        #3
Aries 94 heat pts94
space
space
$10,892 | Props total: 27222 27222
All those Koreans need is a day trip and some medical grade edibles to de-stress and gain some perspective
+18   

1 week ago '12        #4
TrillSwag 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,978 | Props total: 13545 13545
I think the nuclear fallout from Hiroshima spread to South Korea
+1   

1 week ago '04        #5
mr_underground|m 2110 heat pts2110 OP
space
space
$24,198 | Props total: 34318 34318
 Aries said
All those Koreans need is a day trip and some medical grade edibles to de-stress and gain some perspective
Medical marijuana is legal there. But itís still a shame based culture so itís not abundant like it will be in Thailand next month when they legalize it in general.
+10   

1 week ago '14        #6
FukHowYouFeel 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,403 | Props total: 15429 15429
+2   

1 week ago '14        #7
Aries 94 heat pts94
space
space
$10,892 | Props total: 27222 27222
 mr_underground said
Medical marijuana is legal there. But itís still a shame based culture so itís not abundant like it will be in Thailand next month when they legalize it in general.
Wow...good to know. I thought getting caught with trees was a severe punishment in all those east asian countries...
I definitely gotta go to thailand soon
+1   

1 week ago '15        #8
Soulvoyage 50 heat pts50
space
space
$9,522 | Props total: 25942 25942
Some of the silliest sh*t I’ve ever heard

How you pay money to have your basic comforts stripped from you?

Jesus there’s some mixed up people in the world
+3   

1 week ago '18        #9
Shupys 
space
space
$98 | Props total: 181 181
I hope they lose there jobs so there lazy azzes can get all the rest they want.foh coming back from a vacation alright.......

1 week ago '05        #10
ChickzNKickz 102 heat pts102
space
space
$12,195 | Props total: 20231 20231
No difference than marriage
+8   

1 week ago '11        #11
Kade 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$4,686 | Props total: 5126 5126
I don't know if you guys ever actually been locked up or not... probably not... but... people aren't always ready to come out when it's time. Some people commit petty crimes to go back. This actually happens a lot. You get used to your environment. It's the same with success. You wouldn't believe how many people are actually scared of succeeding.
+7   

1 week ago '06        #12
Parklife 
space
space
space
$129 | Props total: 117 117
 Soulvoyage said
Some of the silliest sh*t Iíve ever heard

How you pay money to have your basic comforts stripped from you?

Jesus thereís some mixed up people in the world
Different culture bro...they got some of the highest suicide rates in the world out there I can't even imagine the kinda pressure some of those folk put themselves under.

My take is their work/life balance must be crazy and it aint for everyone but, a break in a fake prison must do em some good from all those pressures it's deffo better than going crazy and doing some wild sh*t to yourself or others.
+2   

1 week ago '16        #13
wesleypipes 43 heat pts43
space
space
$3,355 | Props total: 13274 13274
They need so pus*y thats it

1 week ago '05        #14
ChickzNKickz 102 heat pts102
space
space
$12,195 | Props total: 20231 20231
 Kade said
I don't know if you guys ever actually been locked up or not... probably not... but... people aren't always ready to come out when it's time. Some people commit petty crimes to go back. This actually happens a lot. You get used to your environment. It's the same with success. You wouldn't believe how many people are actually scared of succeeding.

[pic - click to view]

+6   

1 week ago '14        #15
strungout 391 heat pts391
space
space
$32,340 | Props total: 75753 75753
they aren't literally commiting crimes to go to jail, as i originally thought while reading the title , they are just going on a little expedition ...as a novelty ..an escape from daily life..

kind of like when people purposely put themselves through some sort of bootcamp in the name of self improvement...its all a little egotistical ....but do you i guess

think about how mundane, routine & programmed your life must be that a day in jail provides relief..
+3   

1 week ago '16        #16
CLOUT DEMON 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,570 | Props total: 9899 9899
Yo shout out to those koreans
Thanks to them i can watch pr0n in qhd

1 week ago '14        #17
MurdaBizzness 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,085 | Props total: 291 291
What stress? The only thing Korea's known for are Samsung, Korean drama, and k-pop.

1 week ago '18        #18
BrooklynDamien 
space
space
$1,282 | Props total: 5527 5527
Why pay 100 bucks though??? They are just calling out from work. Stay in bed. Wtf is wrong with people....
+2   

1 week ago '17        #19
TheLastNonEarth 92 heat pts92
space
space
$8,019 | Props total: 41145 41145
 lucifershammer said
people think iam crazy when i say Indentured servitude will make a comeback in the west

and the dormitories will look like jail houses
Nah

The next class of slaves will be robots bro

1 week ago '04        #20
zone3cp 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,565 | Props total: 20041 20041
Americans do this subliminally....I know some ppl who totally feel more relax and secure behind bars. If you spent your youth and most of your adult like in juvenile and prison is hard to adapt out here.
+1   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '04        #21
two-face 97 heat pts97
space
space
$45,484 | Props total: 47694 47694
Sometimes i feel like i wish i could check myself into jail for the weekend to avoid drinking

1 week ago '17        #22
Imissmalcolmx17 
space
space
space
$2,292 | Props total: 3947 3947
 ChickzNKickz said

[pic - click to view]

Love that movie
+1   

1 week ago '17        #23
DrOTGenesis 
space
space
space
$367 | Props total: 727 727
 Parklife said
Different culture bro...they got some of the highest suicide rates in the world out there I can't even imagine the kinda pressure some of those folk put themselves under.

My take is their work/life balance must be crazy and it aint for everyone but, a break in a fake prison must do em some good from all those pressures it's deffo better than going crazy and doing some wild sh*t to yourself or others.
Well said. Also their work/life culture has started to creep into their relationships. People are too busy to maintain regular relationships or even have one in the first place. In Shanghai thereís a market where mothers/grandmothers put out their offsprings qualities in a piece of paper and hand them out like marriage objects to be picked by relatable spouses.

Also in Korea you would pay more to cuddle a person for one hour (and yes there are businesses for that and they are boomin) than to have s3x with a chick for the same amount of time.
+2   

1 week ago '15        #24
Letcherouss 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,071 | Props total: 1986 1986
 Aries said
Wow...good to know. I thought getting caught with trees was a severe punishment in all those east asian countries...
I definitely gotta go to thailand soon
It is, they'll execute you if you're a trafficker (have a certain amount). If they legalize recreational though that might be the death sentence for me retiring in Colombia lol. Colombia is perfect; cheap food, cheap women,
In 2012 the Colombian government officially decriminalized the possession of up to 20 grams of cannabis.[4] In 2015 the Colombian Supreme Court ruled that cultivation of up to 20 cannabis plants was allowed.
but there's an internet monopoly so you'll pay like $140 for like 50mbs or something silly. Thailand is the same as Colombia but no internet monopoly but weed is illegal can't retire anywhere

1 week ago '04        #25
ItAlY2BkLyN 240 heat pts240
space
space
$24,512 | Props total: 15080 15080
Soooooo, why don't they just call in sick and stay home? Would rather be in my own house than a cell

Home      

most viewed right now
+168online now  53
Image(s) inside Southern Belle Christina
71 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+27online now  37
Video inside Would You Do The Shyt He's Doing In A Mall In Your City? 'Smash or Pass'
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+39online now  36
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 4 "Reasonable Doubt"
32 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+153online now  21
Image(s) inside Htown Be Having Those Women
176 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  16
Image(s) inside AQUAMAN Reviews Are Out
61 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+67online now  12
Image(s) inside Slim Doo Doo Makers
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+58online now  11
Music Video gets 20 niggas indicted
214 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+27online now  8
Video inside R.Kelly responds to Jacquees king of RnB comment and he's letting the u..
71 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy