‘Gaming Disorder’ is Real Mental Condition, And You May Have It

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '17        #1
2151 page views
49 comments

thegreygoose11 16 heat pts16
space
space
$1,092 | Props total: 1980 1980
‘Gaming Disorder’ is Real Mental Condition, And You May Have It

“Gaming disorder” sounds like an invented affliction parents appoint to kids they can’t tear away from the computer or TV screen.

But, come 2018, the ailment may go from fiction to fact.

Characterized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as “a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior,” the malady is as real as any addiction, including gambling.

And, according to the beta draft of WHO’s 11th International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11), due out next year, it is an official medical condition. The formal description is as follows:

“Gaming disorder is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior (‘digital gaming’ or ‘video gaming’), which may be online (i.e. over the Internet) or offline, manifested by: 1) impaired control over gaming (e.g. onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.

“The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The pattern of gaming behavior may be continuous or episodic and recurrent.

“The gaming behavior and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be a.ssigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.”

As emphasized on the ICD-11 website, this beta draft is NOT FINAL, and is updated on a daily basis. Gaming disorder, however, is likely to appear in the definitive list.

“There is increasing and well-documented evidence of clinical relevance of these conditions and increasing demand for treatment in different parts of the world,” a WHO spokesman told Geek in an email.

Most people rely on the Internet and a series of electronic devices every day—for work or pleasure. And while the increase in usage has “clear benefits,” the statement said, it also comes with drawbacks. Health problems as a result of excessive use have also been documented, sometimes with grave consequences.

In an effort to bring awareness to this stranger-than-fiction issue, the World Health Organization incorporated “gaming disorder” into ICD—”the basis for identification of health trends and statistics globally,” according to the statement.

“It is used by medical practitioners around the world to diagnose conditions and by researchers to categorize conditions,” the spokesman continued. “Inclusion of a disorder in ICD is a consideration which countries take into account when making decisions on provision of healthcare and allocation of resources for prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation.”

visit this link https://www.geek.com/cult .. ve-it-1726650/

+4   

49 comments for "‘Gaming Disorder’ is Real Mental Condition, And You May Have It"

1 week ago '04        #2
Ra-da-god 34 heat pts34
space
space
$12,957 | Props total: 3551 3551

Gaming is a $30B industry in the US ALONE! Literally half the population PLAYS THEM, people of both genders and all age ranges participate. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon would k!ll for the type of engagement Twitch receives

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 12-03-2018 at 12:42 PM..
+14   

1 week ago '05        #3
Krazie 136 heat pts136
space
space
$47,567 | Props total: 25107 25107
 Ra-da-god said

Gaming is a $30B industry in the US ALONE! Literally half the population PLAYS THEM, people of both genders and all age ranges participate. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon would k!ll for the type of engagement Twitch receives
Alcohol is a $250B industry in the US alone participated in by a wide range of people.

Some people are alcoholics, most aren't.

There are absolutely people out there addicted to games, but hell, you can get addicted to basically anything if you exhibit that type of behavior/personality.
+25   

1 week ago '17        #4
Confidential 33 heat pts33
space
space
space
$972 | Props total: 10465 10465
They BEEN designing video games to trigger a persons dopamine levels for the sole purpose of making them addictive....

Edit:

[pic - click to view]

I learned first hand....

They caught me young w/food f!ght and ms pac man,
Then I got older hustling people on Street f!ghter 2 and NBA JAM,
After that N64 007 through Halo 5, had ya boy hooked til I went cold turkey....

Some video games are as addictive (if not more) as weed, liquor & gambling... IMO

Last edited by Confidential; 12-03-2018 at 02:05 PM..
+22   

1 week ago '17        #5
thegreygoose11 16 heat pts16 OP
space
space
$1,092 | Props total: 1980 1980
 Confidential said
They BEEN designing video games to trigger a persons dopamine levels for the sole purpose of making them addictive....
bruh ur right...i learned that from an older post on here about adjusted difficulty (DDA - Dynamic difficulty adjustment)...

they addicting people to games and using their psychology to spend more money/time on the game

so if they tryina blame games for being addictive...blame the companies that exploit human psychology for profit
+6   

1 week ago '18        #6
Oswaldgatesjr 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$3,976 | Props total: 7858 7858
My cousin should read this . n*gga has no life.All he does is play video games.

1 week ago '11        #7
Anti 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,439 | Props total: 11461 11461
 Confidential said

Edit:

[pic - click to view]

I learned first hand....

Some video games are as addictive (if not more) as weed, liquor & gambling... IMO
A lot of these games use a reward and punish system as well as gambling mechanics. Man I’ve been playing diablo 3 there’s like 7 different ways to get gear ALL based on RNG.
+7   

1 week ago '15        #8
SeraphKin 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,126 | Props total: 32635 32635
I useto think call of duty had digital crack in it till I found that the game constantly plays on your brains reward system that causes dopamine to secrete.

So you get addicted to the achievements cuz ig tricks you into a false sense of accomplishment.
+6   

1 week ago '04        #9
Joe Scumbag 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,063 | Props total: 5116 5116
 Anti said
A lot of these games use a reward and punish system as well as gambling mechanics. Man I’ve been playing diablo 3 there’s like 7 different ways to get gear ALL based on RNG.
All Praises due to RNGesus
+3   

1 week ago '05        #10
luvdahaze 99 heat pts99
space
space
$1,805 | Props total: 632 632
so does this mean you can get disability if you can prove you have this once it goes live?
+6   

1 week ago '11        #11
Anti 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,439 | Props total: 11461 11461
 luvdahaze said
so does this mean you can get disability if you can prove you have this once it goes live?
Getting that ssi to stay in all day playing games
+12   

1 week ago '04        #12
Ra-da-god 34 heat pts34
space
space
 Krazie said
Alcohol is a $250B industry in the US alone participated in by a wide range of people.

Some people are alcoholics, most aren't.

There are absolutely people out there addicted to games, but hell, you can get addicted to basically anything if you exhibit that type of behavior/personality.
thing is with most Alcohol your body can actually get addicted to it, to where you start feel sick from withdrawal with gaming its more psychological.

I agree with your latter point but how do we judge that? I play games everyday for hours at a time (if time permits) on the outside looking inyou could say I have a problem when really I'm just a big ol' nerd

how do we distinguish Enthusiast from addict
+5   

1 week ago '18        #13
OptimisticCynic 
space
space
space
$14 | Props total: 35 35
Anything can be habit forming especially products developed by man so this really is of no surprise.
+1   

1 week ago '17        #14
1Oh 6 heat pts
space
space
$2,619 | Props total: 13585 13585
It's not a mental disorder, I was born this way.
+8   

1 week ago '05        #15
RAWNOPULLOUT 160 heat pts160
space
space
$19,048 | Props total: 15063 15063
 1Oh said
It's not a mental disorder, I was born this way.
+1   

1 week ago '16        #16
CLOUT DEMON 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,570 | Props total: 9899 9899
Bet
+1   

1 week ago '05        #17
Krazie 136 heat pts136
space
space
$47,567 | Props total: 25107 25107
 Ra-da-god said
thing is with most Alcohol your body can actually get addicted to it, to where you start feel sick from withdrawal with gaming its more psychological.

I agree with your latter point but how do we judge that? I play games everyday for hours at a time (if time permits) on the outside looking inyou could say I have a problem when really I'm just a big ol' nerd

how do we distinguish Enthusiast from addict
When it starts to interfere and affect your day-to-day life. Whether that be your job/school, relationships, financial status, etc.

You said it perfectly without even probably realizing it. If time permits. So you schedule your gaming around your other commitments, not the other way around.
+4   

1 week ago '14        #18
Dawknight316 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,886 | Props total: 3435 3435
I feel like the sh*t gamers get upset over and some of their habits are more of an issue than just playing games. Go on a playstation forum and tell them PS4 is Trash, same with nintendo and microsoft; Something is not mentally right. I recently watched the KH fanbase get upset at amazon over a 0:30 trailer... google Kingdom hearts amazon fiasco, Pure comedy.
+1   

1 week ago '04        #19
Ra-da-god 34 heat pts34
space
space
 Krazie said
When it starts to interfere and affect your day-to-day life. Whether that be your job/school, relationships, financial status, etc.

You said it perfectly without even probably realizing it. If time permits. So you schedule your gaming around your other commitments, not the other way around.
fair points king
+2   

1 week ago '15        #20
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
$1,283 | Props total: 2772 2772
I been saying this but anything addiction without moderation as a grown and successful man now I thank my parents for keeping us on a game schedule. You can literally go on youtube and watch an endless stream of children and childlike adults literally have mental breakdowns or disrespect their parents over games. I am a gamer. I have been turned off with it the last few years with microtransactions and toxic communities but I live here in Japan we still got a huuuuge arcade culture which is really cool. That’s how I game mostly now when i get the itch to go buttons on a Japanese cat on some Tekken or Gundam Vs.
+2   

1 week ago '15        #21
Piff Blunts xx 
space
space
$540 | Props total: 637 637
Yup when I was a youngin all me and my friends cared about was runescape. All we did was talk runescape and when we got home we would just grind for hours on end. I didn’t wanna do anything at home except play runescape but when I started getting pus*y I could care less about playing video games. pus*y is more addicting than games. Fast forward now and the highlight of my nights are smoking and playing some fortnite with the boys but it definitely doesn’t consume my life. Usually play about 2-3 hours a night if I don’t play at all.
+5   

1 week ago '17        #22
SPdaGOAT 14 heat pts14
space
space
$11,147 | Props total: 23968 23968
LMFAO who is going so hard against gaming right now and why?

1 week ago '05        #23
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,883 | Props total: 9664 9664
Damn more excuses for the weak, HAVE SOME fu*kING SELF CONTROL, dont quote me with your bullsh*t "everyone is different" either, im sick of the entire world having excuses for all their faults, and now its justified, "its not your fault that your a bum a.ss, its a disease". Videogameitous
+4   

1 week ago '17        #24
SPdaGOAT 14 heat pts14
space
space
$11,147 | Props total: 23968 23968
 Confidential said

Edit:

[pic - click to view]

I learned first hand....

You can lowkey apply this to dating, so I wonder why they didnt extend their study to that realm.
+1   

1 week ago '05        #25
dizzle trizzle 14 heat pts14
space
space
$8,452 | Props total: 6515 6515
post traumatic gaming disorder

wheres my meds

damn by todays standards i really might be messed up and need to be in a asylum

post traumatic stress disorder
ADDHD
personality disorder
social anxiety disorder
anti social personality disorder
paranoid personality disorder
BDD
Gaming disorder

Last edited by dizzle trizzle; 12-03-2018 at 05:53 PM..
+5   

Home      

most viewed right now
+169online now  35
Image(s) inside Southern Belle Christina
71 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+29online now  32
Video inside Would You Do The Shyt He's Doing In A Mall In Your City? 'Smash or Pass'
111 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+41online now  24
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 4 "Reasonable Doubt"
32 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
online now  21
Image(s) inside AQUAMAN Reviews Are Out
64 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+153online now  15
Image(s) inside Htown Be Having Those Women
177 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+58online now  14
Music Video gets 20 niggas indicted
214 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+67online now  14
Image(s) inside Slim Doo Doo Makers
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+27online now  13
Video inside R.Kelly responds to Jacquees king of RnB comment and he's letting the u..
76 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy