My review of VENOM

most viewed right now
+38  31
27 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

Watching VENOM?
Yes, in the cinemas 63 72.41%
Nope. Not even for free. 24 27.59%
Voters: 87. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

2 months ago '15        #51
Teddy KGB 38 heat pts38
space
space
$13,337 | Props total: 41471 41471
 myword said

[pic - click to view]

By now youíve seen the ads. By now youíve probably read the online buzz. By now youíve probably decided if youíre gonna spend your precious time & money on Sonyís VENOM. If youíre still on the fence maybe this review will help cement your decision.

Having watched movies as long as I have you can somehow tell from the marketing things like the story structure and overall quality of the end product. With a genre like this it becomes even more easy to predict. The marketing for Venom has pretty much laid out everything you need to know about the movie. There are hardly any surprises. So if youíre looking for path breaking storytelling or anything that even remotely tries, this isnít it. Even action aficionadoís will find the action passable at best.

Other than current special effects, VENOM seems like a product of a bygone era. Like greedy studio heads at Sony unearthed a late 90s script and ran with it especially after reinvigorating their cashcow franchise (i.e. Spider-man Homecoming). Everything about this is painfully dated. From the love angle, the formulaic villain to the all too familiar action.

Yet Iíd like to see a sequel. Why? Two words - Tom Hardy.

Like many I wasnít sold on his Eddie Brock from the trailers and to be honest I still donít buy the journalist side. Maybe if he was a small time writer for a thrashy blog/tabloid or someone hungry to prove himself. Youíd think that after being kicked out of New York for his journalistic misdeeds heíd be struggling to get back on his feet. Nope. He pretty much works for a big news firm (judging from the big a.ss skyscraper theyíre based in) and seems to be doing a-okay. Yet all of his actions seriously make us doubt his journalistic abilities.

To make matters worse the character has no arc. He ends the movie the way he started just with new abilities. Besides all the movies shortcomings this is perhaps the most wasted opportunity. All this is no fault of the actors. Heís paid to act and act he does. Once the symbiote latches on the fun kicks in. Hardyís interaction with Venom is what makes one forgive the dullest first hour in recent memory and forget how archaic all of this feels.

Give the man a better director and a script from the 2010ís at least and let him unleash the true potential of this character in the sequel. Than maybe Sony will have the Spiderverse theyíre so desperate to kick start.
Nice review, but your comments about the date of the script are confusing. Surely, you don't mean to suggest that all movies before 1990 suffered from poor scripts, so what are you really saying here?

2 months ago '18        #52
Negvagabon 
space
space
space
$244 | Props total: 437 437
 all3rd said
I liked it more than Age of Ultron, but donít white knight this
Age of ultron was trash. Like prodigy said, I donít give a fu*k what you sold that sh*t was trash. Likewise justice league/suicide squad/BVS was all trash. Iím not a fanboy and defend any bullsh*t as long as itís from my favorite brand
+1   

2 months ago '04        #53
Marccoogs19 192 heat pts192
space
space
$10,930 | Props total: 7667 7667
How am I supposed to be excited about this Venom eventually facing off against Spidey, when I like him so much now. He was made to be too likable, and I just cant see him as a bad guy now.
+3   

2 months ago '04        #54
RoyceDa59 256 heat pts256
space
space
$15,326 | Props total: 6749 6749
 DaOmega_1 said
Saw it. I'm gonna review it this weekend.

But, in short... No, it's not good.
Well god damn! If Omega doesn't even wait to post his full review to give his thoughts on the film it must be a huge piece of sh*t.

2 months ago '16        #55
mobchip 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,534 | Props total: 5084 5084
I'm spending like $21 bucks to see this on Saturday. I'm only excited cause the seats are DBOX. Spiderman and Venom anit happening folks.

2 months ago '05        #56
DaOmega_1 288 heat pts288
space
space
$14,648 | Props total: 6549 6549
 RoyceDa59 said
Well god damn! If Omega doesn't even wait to post his full review to give his thoughts on the film it must be a huge piece of sh*t.
This review is gonna be a lot... Which is why I'm taking my time with it.

It'll likely go up either tomorrow or Saturday.
+1   

2 months ago '18        #57
ICONIC 152 heat pts152
space
space
$2,334 | Props total: 13007 13007
Damn the movie was trash?

2 months ago '04        #58
mpmastamind510 48 heat pts48
space
space
$3,229 | Props total: 2436 2436
 DaOmega_1 said
This review is gonna be a lot... Which is why I'm taking my time with it.

It'll likely go up either tomorrow or Saturday.
had thursday night opening but shifted down to early bird 6 bucks for saturday lol

2 months ago '05        #59
DaOmega_1 288 heat pts288
space
space
$14,648 | Props total: 6549 6549
 mpmastamind510 said
had thursday night opening but shifted down to early bird 6 bucks for saturday lol
Smart move, but you should've used that $6 to see something better.

I saw it a couple of days ago at an advance screening. The only reason I'm probably not as pissed as other peeps I know who saw this sh*t is because my screening was free.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #60
Scorpz 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,496 | Props total: 32248 32248
I honestly enjoyed this movie.. better then all those trash DC movies that been out.. 1st half hour was super slow but after that sh*t was entertaining for the next hour n half.. but I'm a huge fan of venom..
+4   

2 months ago '04        #61
Mike T 164 heat pts164
space
space
$15,738 | Props total: 28354 28354
My n*ggas wtf, I'm fresh out the theatre & high
- Sony sh*tting on venom they made it a buddy cop action comedy
-being a British n*gga he k!lled the acting
- mid & after credit scene was the best part

Last edited by Mike T; 10-04-2018 at 11:53 PM..
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '16        #62
Papi 492 heat pts492
space
space
$18,717 | Props total: 47924 47924
 Scorpz said
Venom >>> Ant-Man 2

And I liked AM2 but Venom was easily the better movie
Ant man 2 wasnít good

2 months ago '06        #63
NorthNorthReppa 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,849 | Props total: 676 676
Just got back from it. This was no where near as bad as the reviews say. Like a 7.5/10 to me. Interested in a sequel. BUT, I still wish Marvel Studios had the rights and the chance to really knock it out of the park.
+4   

2 months ago '07        #64
Bkjj11 3976 heat pts3976
space
space
$101,448 | Props total: 90868 90868
Movie was decent. My opinion, fu*k anyone elses idc
+3   

2 months ago '06        #65
Yung Dilla 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$61,185 | Props total: 54209 54209
Everyone I talk to says the same thing. Tom Hardy did great everything and everyone else sucked.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #66
CallmeJR 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,552 | Props total: 2309 2309
Just saw it and though there were some parts of the story I didn't agree with, I left satisfied and amped for a sequel as a super Venom fan. The villian in it does make you wonder what's going to be so different about Carnage other than the color of the suit but I still have hopes. There were 2 post credit scenes? If so I'm pissed
+2   

2 months ago '06        #67
Ave 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,547 | Props total: 15437 15437
welp, i'll wait for the bootleg
not paying for this sh*t

2 months ago '05        #68
Scorpz 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,496 | Props total: 32248 32248
 CallmeJR said
Just saw it and though there were some parts of the story I didn't agree with, I left satisfied and amped for a sequel as a super Venom fan. The villian in it does make you wonder what's going to be so different about Carnage other than the color of the suit but I still have hopes. There were 2 post credit scenes? If so I'm pissed
The 2nd post credit scene was a clip from the Spider-Verse animated movie dropping on Christmas.. u ain't miss anything if u saw Woody Harrelson
+1   

2 months ago '04        #69
chubs189 45 heat pts45
space
space
$3,883 | Props total: 8507 8507
Just saw it and went in expecting trash from all reviews. Actually had a good time with it. The Eddie/venom back and forth was great. Movie has a lot of issues. But if you go and enjoy it for what it is you can have a good time with it. Me and my cousin had fun. Plus AMC A list baby !!!
+5   

2 months ago '13        #70
EZ Green 42 heat pts42
space
space
$11,546 | Props total: 22789 22789
@ is this an original review or is it copy pasted?

2 months ago '05        #71
myword 9 heat pts OP
space
space
$851 | Props total: 178 178
 Teddy KGB said
Nice review, but your comments about the date of the script are confusing. Surely, you don't mean to suggest that all movies before 1990 suffered from poor scripts, so what are you really saying here?
No, I didnít mean to imply all movies suffered from poor script. Iíll work on my phrasing. What I meant is the script encompasses a lot of the cliches prevalent in some 90s action flicks and itís just lazy storytelling.

[spoiler - click to view]

Thatís why I said I hope they at least find a script thatís more timely.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #72
myword 9 heat pts OP
space
space
$851 | Props total: 178 178
 EZ Green said
@ is this an original review or is it copy pasted?
Nah bro itís my own review. Hope to write more so if you have any constructive criticism on how I can improve it would help.

2 months ago '04        #73
Mike T 164 heat pts164
space
space
$15,738 | Props total: 28354 28354
 all3rd said
The
[spoiler - click to view]

Yeah that scene was crazy I wanna how many takes it took. He bit the fu*k outta that lobster. And thatís just some extra sh*t to have to do as a person . Okay Tom today youíre hoppin*in 5he lobster tank until we get the right shot I have in my head.

2 months ago '18        #74
Dyslexicredaer0 10 heat pts10
space
space
$187 | Props total: 975 975
When I saw the Rotten Tomatoes eating of 30% I thought to myself, "oh they are giving this movie the King Arthur treatment," because the trailers look great. Sadly, it's starting to look more and more like a dud so I will be not spend any money on this movie in the foreseeable future.

2 months ago '13        #75
batmanwithprep 190 heat pts190
space
space
$10,294 | Props total: 12537 12537

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
+29online now  16
Article inside Chiko Juan death: Meek Mill affiliate reportedly dead after Atlanta s..
159 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+27online now  15
Video inside If You Decide To Get Married, This Will Be Your Life
169 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-27online now  15
NBA Shaq gotta out the weed down
113 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+21online now  14
Video inside Remember when Murder Inc. tried to create there own 50 Cent....
74 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  12
Philthy Rich Finally Speaks On mozzy signing messy marv aka cashlord
92 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  7
Dec 13 - Atlanta goons shoot and kill a Police officer and K-9 off Candler Road
189 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+33online now  7
NBA Dirk and the next 4 are in a category that Lebron will never be apart of
47 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+70online now  5
Image(s) inside May 31, 2019, Legendary Pictures will be DROPPING. BODIES.
52 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy