How To Make Smileys (For Beginners)

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 years ago '08        #1
26405 page views
138 comments

Chedda 451 heat pts451
space
space
$18,023 | Props total: 42631 42631
How To Make Smileys (For Beginners)

As a beginner I thought Photoshop was overwhelming. I started with Paint.Net

Its a free photo editing program, same as Photoshop but without all the fancy plugins.

You can get it here...

visit this link http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Now lets begin with an easy one. Save this to your computer and work along with me...

Here is a picture of the Grinch. Lets start with taking out a background. When you open PAINT.NET open the file of the Grinch. First things first, its best to know how to zoom in and out. This will be of great help later on.

To zoom in or out can be done one of two ways. The easiest if to hold down CTRL and press the - for zoom out or hold down CRTL and press + to zoom in. Now that you know how to zoom in and zoom out lets take out the blue background of the photo.

In the far left side you will see a box of tools. The large red arrow is pointing to them. The smaller red arrow is pointing to a wand. Select that wand. With the wand selected, click on any area you want to erase. In this situation, the blue background.

If your tolerance up top is set to 50 it should look something like this. The wand tried its best to outline the area you wanted to delete.

Hit the DELETE button and it will delete everything that was highlighted.

It will now look like this...

This may look good but it isn't, I will get into why in a moment and how you how to fix it. But, before I go on I want to stop and quickly go over a little bit about TOLERANCE. I will pick up where we left off in a moment.

Real quick, when dealing with the wand Tolerance is important. Too much tolerance can make a photo look like this...

In the picture you can see my tolerance is at 63. It is too high because you can see some of the Grinch is highlighted. We want to keep the Grinch so this will not be good. If you were to hit delete with some of the area you want to keep highlighted, it will look like this...

You have to find a sweet spot.

However too little tolerance can have the opposite effect. Notice here the tolerance is set to 12...

There is a lot of the blue background left over. The main thing to know is if you cannot make the wand take out the background perfectly (it is never perfect) you can manually erase some of the background with the eraser tool. It is the tool in the toolbox that looks like an eraser.

The red arrow in the picture above is pointing at the eraser and the larger arrow is pointing to the brush size. In this particular situation you could use the eraser and take out the blue background manually.

The last thing I will say about tolerance is this. You never want it so high to where it is going to erase part of the section you want to keep. If you have to lower tolerance and go in and manually erase and clean it up so be it. Better to do it manually than have portions of the Grinch missing.

Last edited by Chedda; 12-06-2014 at 03:25 AM..
+66   

138 comments for "How To Make Smileys (For Beginners)"

4 years ago '08        #2
Chedda 451 heat pts451 OP
space
space
Now back to where we left off.

So at this point this is what we are looking at. Notice the checkerboard background, that means that the background is transparent.

[pic - click to view]

This may look acceptable but it is not. Believe it or not there is still work to be done with this photo to make it look good.

At this point we are going to zoom in (Hold down CTRL and press +) Now, we are going to take the eraser tool and begin to trim down the edges. It doesn't have to be a lot, just shave a little off the top. Go around the entire object while zoomed in and just shave some off the top making the edge a little more clean.

Look at the difference.... (open picture in new tab to really see differences a lot better)

[pic - click to view]

One side is edited while the other was not. It wasn't perfect but it looks a lot better. (If you take your time you can get it looking really nice)

This is pretty much it when it comes to taking out the background of a photo. When you finish there is one thing that you need to do in order for this entire thing to work. When you are finished, DO NOT SAVE AS A JPEG OR BMP file format. I will repeat....

DO NOT SAVE AS A JPEG OR BMP file format.

You MUST save this as a PNG file format. The PNG format is the ONLY format that will allow a transparent background. If you do all that work and save as a jpeg, gif, or a bmp, it will give the photo a white background. REMEMBER... YOU MUST SAVE YOUR WORK AS A PNG FILE!!!!

[pic - click to view]

(KEEP IN MIND I WAS GOING FOR SPEED AND NOT ACCURACY, THIS COULD LOOK A LOT BETTER)

Adding a layer...

Adding a different picture inside the picture needs to be done with layers. To add something to the existing photo, on the top select LAYERS dropdown and select IMPORT FROM FILE.

[pic - click to view]

Select a photo and it will appear in the picture as a new layer.

[pic - click to view]

Notice on the right a second photo showed up in the layers box. You can see the glasses and also the Grinch from earlier. Think of this box as a ladder, photos can be stacked on top of each other like the steps on a ladder. Whatever is on the top of the list in the layers box, that layer shows up in front of everything else. So since the glasses are on top of the list in the layers box, it shows up in front of the Grinch. If I were to move the glasses layer below the Grinch layer, the glasses in the photo will show up behind the Grinch.

You will also notice that the glasses are too big. In the picture above the small arrow is pointing towards the MOVEMENT tool. With this tool you can alter the size or move around layers. Keep in mind, whatever layer is highlighted in the layers box, is the area that will be moved.

Click on link below for a short video on what I am talking about.

Once you adjust it the way you want, just save as a PNG.

When you do this with multiple layers it will ask you to flatten your photo.

[pic - click to view]

What this basically is that it wants to know if you want to flatten all your layers into one picture instead of multiple pictures laid out on top one another. Yes, click flatten.

You're done!

[pic - click to view]

This is the basics of the basics. Just practice and your skills will go up and also your understanding of the software.

One last thing about layers. Look at this picture.

[pic - click to view]

Notice that the Grinch layer is highlighted in the layers box. Also notice that there is a box highlighted around the glasses layer in the actual photo. Lets pretend I wanted to delete the nose of the glasses.

You will notice it will not let you. You try and erase and it will not erase. That is because your Grinch layer is selected in layers box. If you try and erase it, it will delete the Grinch. In this case you want to erase a portion of the glasses layer so you will need to highlight that layer (glasses) in the box, now when you go to erase it will only delete the nose and not the Grinch behind it.

Last edited by Chedda; 12-06-2014 at 04:22 AM..

4 years ago '10        #3
eightytyson06 39 heat pts39
space
space
$17,812 | Props total: 12749 12749
Was waiting for one of these threads....come 2015 imma be that new smiley king

4 years ago '08        #4
space
space
 eightytyson06 said
Was waiting for one of these threads....come 2015 imma be that new smiley king
Cool, go crazy man. It is really easier than it seems.

I hope this thread brings in a lot of new smiley makers.

4 years ago '10        #5
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$50,736 | Props total: 15348 15348
lessons from the master

[pic - click to view]

+1   

4 years ago '08        #6
space
space
RESIZING....

if you want to resize either the photo or the canvas, use the IMAGE dropdown at the top.

[pic - click to view]

If you choose RESIZE it will resize the entire photo. If you just need more space to work, you can resize the CANVAS. This will make the work area bigger but the Grinch will stay the same size. If you resize the canvas the new area will not be transparent. Just use the wand on that area to make it transparent like the rest of the picture.

CROPPING...

Lets say you finish and you have a lot of extra space. It is a good idea to crop it all down. When you are ready, select the area you want to save. In this case I am selecting the entire photo of the Grinch. On the toolbox I will select the first picture of the small square and outline the Grinch or area I want to trim down.

[pic - click to view]

I want the canvas to be smaller so after I selected the area of the new canvas, I go to the IMAGE tab on top and select CROP TO SELECTION.

Once you do that the area that you had highlighted in blue will be the new canvas size.

Here is the same photo cropped down with a smaller canvas...

[pic - click to view]

The picture above showed up a little further to the left than it did previously. That is because the canvas of the entire photo is smaller. It also shows up on BX a little bigger than it did in original photo. It made it appear bigger because BX doesn't have to compensate for a larger photo. The bigger the canvas, the smaller it will appear. Since it is now a smaller photo overall, you can see a little more of the true size of the picture.

Hope this helped everyone.

Last edited by Chedda; 12-06-2014 at 04:40 AM..

4 years ago '10        #7
420Heat 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,800 | Props total: 5247 5247
this should be stickied

4 years ago '04        #8
Randumb Nobody 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,547 | Props total: 486 486

4 years ago '06        #9
datnolaboy 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,682 | Props total: 1410 1410
i don't make smilies and don't care to but that was really cool of you, OP.

4 years ago '12        #10
Kastanova 91 heat pts91
space
space
$16,955 | Props total: 2689 2689
All stuff I knew when I used to use Photoshop a decade ago.

But I see @ is tired of taking these smiley requests so he put up a DIY kit.

12-06-2014, 09:24 AM         #11
WEB DemBois 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ This is a good thread.

4 years ago '08        #12
space
space
 Kastanova said
All stuff I knew when I used to use Photoshop a decade ago.

But I see @ is tired of taking these smiley requests so he put up a DIY kit.

Ha ha ha @ "DIY kit". Nah not tired, even though I do get hit up almost every single day. Lot of people on here don't know but I haven't been doing this for very long. I just went on a learning binge and kept practicing and practicing (there was a little while there where I would edit something in almost every thread I went into) I also would do request after request until editing pictures became easier and easier. Since I myself am still new to editing photos, this is why I wouldn't take it personal when people would call my edits trash (cause a lot of them were)

WEB DemBois said
@ This is a good thread.
Yeah, thanks. Cool of you to say that, especially since we've butted heads a time or two in the past.

4 years ago '11        #13
Clown Baby 
space
space
$1,942 | Props total: 727 727
I want you to know that I hate how many smilies have been made by/because of you and that I think it's become saturated.

However, we share a lot of the same opinions in the wild ish section and this was a pretty cool thread for you to have made.

4 years ago '07        #14
JohnDoe 220 heat pts220
space
space
$12,828 | Props total: 7468 7468
wheres my hillary clinton smiley I made the day we k!lled Bin Laden? Only one that I ever made that I liked.

4 years ago '08        #15
space
space
 Clown Baby said
I want you to know that I hate how many smilies have been made by/because of you and that I think it's become saturated.

However, we share a lot of the same opinions in the wild ish section and this was a pretty cool thread for you to have made.
I can't argue with that. I was just learning and kept practicing. This thread is bound to make it even worse since it teaches people how to do it for themselves.

I hate the Coli forum but the way they do their smileys is really cool. Users can submit official smileys on their own for everyone to use. I wish @ would adopt this same method so everyone would stop hitting him up to officially add a new smiley. If you look at their smiley arsenal, they have a sh*tton. But, some of the ones they have are really good.

The way they have theirs setup, it doesn't seem overwhelming.... even though they have more smileys than we do.

4 years ago '12        #16
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,949 | Props total: 14635 14635
Been waiting for this thread.

About to step my sh*t up.

4 years ago '07        #17
Dice City 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,061 | Props total: 6725 6725

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '05        #18
PhrozenMenace 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,945 | Props total: 3014 3014
good shyt

4 years ago '10        #19
BasedonMars 878 heat pts878
space
space
$3,535 | Props total: 594 594
@ I don't know if you fuc wit my threads but I applaud you for never being negative... Your one of the more humble users props bruh.... Thanks for this post also

Btw..where can I find gif avatars or how does that work....

4 years ago '08        #20
space
space
 BasedonMars said
@ I don't know if you fuc wit my threads but I applaud you for never being negative... Your one of the more humble users props bruh.... Thanks for this post also

[pic - click to view]

Thanks for the props. Nah, I am plenty negative. I have an undying hatred for YMCMB. That plus a lot of the fu*kery that goes on with todays Hip Hop. But then again, that could be explained away by the "old head" in me.

Check Google for gifs or check out the link in my signature.

Last edited by Chedda; 12-06-2014 at 03:51 PM..

4 years ago '09        #21
messy marv stan 5035 heat pts5035
space
space
$67,854 | Props total: 106393 106393
 Chedda said
Cool, go crazy man. It is really easier than it seems.

I hope this thread brings in a lot of new smiley makers.

still learnin how to make smilies

how do i find layers that are the right size for the pic

4 years ago '14        #22
Sphynx 161 heat pts161
space
space
$9,905 | Props total: 33290 33290
@

[pic - click to view]

Please come to my birthday party this weekend

I'm gonna PM you my address. Bring cake.

4 years ago '08        #23
space
space
 messy marv stan said
still learnin how to make smilies

how do i find layers that are the right size for the pic
Look on page one about RESIZING.

If you dont wanna do it that way, there is a different more complicated way you can do it. Lets say photo #1 is the original photo and photo #2 is the picture you want to add as a layer but it is too big. Open the photo #2 separately. This means NOT as a layer. Open it as a regular picture. Resize it and save it. Then in photo #1 add the new layer and import photo #2. If you resized it correctly it should fit your canvas.

That is one way of doing it however doing it the way I spoke of on page 1 is a lot more simple.

4 years ago '04        #24
nwo504 32 heat pts32
space
space
$14,239 | Props total: 10206 10206

4 years ago '05        #25
nahsuhmeanz 
space
space
$10,117 | Props total: 3363 3363
any programs like this for the mac? and/or samsung tablet

Home      

most viewed right now
+127online now  18
Video inside If this video was in 2018 this man would be dead
82 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+16online now  15
Image(s) inside AY Y wud I post ya sister ?! (when I could just post her fam & friends..
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  10
So Young Thug a mason mason
221 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  9
Dec 15 - "saddam hussein" was allegedly found in a spider hole bunker 15 years..
165 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-25online now  8
Article inside Joyner Lucas joins in the Kanye/Drake Beef!(Sides with YE)
23 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+72online now  5
Video inside This is the reason JayZ dropped his surprise album on Nas' release week..
116 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  5
Kanye says 2 of the 12 lost tribes of Israel are black. Is he correct?
51 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+37online now  3
Video inside Chris Hansen still catching dudes
57 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy