How To Make Gifs

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

4 years ago '08        #1
22253 page views
94 comments

Chedda 451 heat pts451
space
space
$18,023 | Props total: 42631 42631
How To Make Gifs

2016 UPDATE: Obviously, I have gotten much better at these. But I want to make it known I do not use this method any longer. Now-a-days I make gifs solely in photoshop. Here is a way better tutorial.

Original Post:
I get a lot of this question so, I decided to make this thread. It may be a little long.

Before I start, keep in mind I am still a rookie at this. In no way do I claim to be any good at editing pictures or making gifs. It is just that in my situation, I'm a pretty creative person plus the turnaround to making them is low.

A few things to know...
  • There are many different ways to making gifs
  • The source gif or video has to be short (you'll see what i am talking about)
  • This thread isn't about making gifs transparent

I used a lot of different programs but lately I have been using 3 programs to make my gifs. If you have the knowhow, you could do it solely in Sony Vegas.

Programs in this tutorial...
  • Sony Vegas
  • Paint.Net (Can be photoshop if that's your preference)
  • Camtasia

Again, keep in mind there are a lot of different ways to do this. This is ONE of my methods.

First thing I will do is find either a gif or video that I want to make an edit to.

In this case...

The gif or video has to be short for two reasons. 1.) Filesize 2.) You have to edit each and every frame of the video/gif

After I find something I want to edit I open the file in Sony Vegas. I then RENDER AS...

I render as a JPEG sequence into a specific folder (can be any folder)

What this does is make a single jpeg for every single frame. You will now have to edit every single frame by frame on your new gif. Again, YES! You have to edit each and every jpeg one by one.

NOTE: This is not needed if you already know how to use Sony Vegas, the program allows you to make changes to gifs or videos but I always thought it was a lot easier doing it my way. Either way you still have to edit frame by frame in Vegas as well, there is no getting around that.

Once you have your jpeg sequence, it will look like this....

Open your photo editing program. I use PAINT.NET but you can also use photoshop. (Google PAINT.NET its free. I say Google it because PAINT.NET is not the actual URL of the programs web page)

Find another photo you want to add to this gif (make sure it is PNG so the background will be transparent)

Put the picture where you want and edit accordingly. (Not going to teach you how to edit nor about layers)

Once you have the edit perfect, save the jpeg and replace the picture you just edited.

Once you edit every single frame, it is time to create the gif. I use Camtasia. I add all the individual jpegs into Camtasia and into the timeline.

Notice when you add all the jpegs into the timeline below, it still is not finished cause the duration of each picture is 5 seconds each in the timeline of TRACK 1.

Last edited by Chedda; 09-27-2016 at 09:12 PM..
+85   

94 comments for "How To Make Gifs"

4 years ago '08        #2
Chedda 451 heat pts451 OP
space
space
While all jpegs are selected, right click and select DURATION. A small box will appear and you lower the duration of each jpeg to 0.1

[pic - click to view]

After all jpegs are shortened to 0.1 duration, now, render as a gif in Camtasia and you're finished.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

KEEP IN MIND...
Photo hosting sites that host pictures like photobucket or Tinypic.com only allow small filesizes. (Use Imgur.com cause they allow for slightly larger files) If you run into trouble with filesize, choose smaller dimensions.

[pic - click to view]

Sorry this was a little long. This is one of many different ways you can do this.

Hopefully, now we can see other BX members come up with some cool gifs.

END RESULT:

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Chedda; 11-05-2014 at 02:57 AM..

4 years ago '04        #3
Stack_Bundles 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,127 | Props total: 270 270
pretty dope

4 years ago '11        #4
Kade 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$4,696 | Props total: 5139 5139
holy sh*t did i just legit learn something on boxden

4 years ago '08        #5
space
space
 JamesJones said
Shout out to the homie Chedda for breaking it down for me. He probably got tired of me asking when I was fu*ked up and couldn't remember
ha naaaah, I get asked how to do it probably every other day.

I had some pretty terrible ones in the beginning, but it didnt take long to figure out how to make them look better.

For example, look at this one....

[pic - click to view]

Notice his head is moving in a weird way. That was because I would add the head as a new layer then edit it accordingly and adjusted it to fit. The problem was that every time I adjusted the size of the head it wasn't the same exact size as the previous frame. This is the result.

Lets say I edit the very first frame and saved it. The two pictures (background and head) are flattened and merged together. I later learned, instead of adding the head into every frame...

I CTRL + Z and it unflattens the previous frame (frame 1) and separates the two pictures again (background and head). Then I delete the background (frame 1) and add the next frame (frame 2) with the same head that I used in frame 1. That way, the head will be the same size in all the frames cause it is never adjusted big or small. So it is kind of in reverse than adding the head directly to every frame. With this, I add the background to every head. (If that makes sense)

Last edited by Chedda; 11-05-2014 at 09:48 AM..

4 years ago '14        #6
DavidAames 17 heat pts17
space
space
$10,096 | Props total: 10122 10122
 Kade said

4 years ago '14        #7
DavidAames 17 heat pts17
space
space
$10,096 | Props total: 10122 10122
I didnt think we were worthy Chedda...

4 years ago '13        #8
Murker99 89 heat pts89
space
space
$5,143 | Props total: 3780 3780

Chedda in here dropping jewels and giving game. Signing up for class as we speak, props!

4 years ago '08        #9
space
space

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #10
Wilder GOAT 267 heat pts267
space
space
$9,246 | Props total: 3192 3192

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #11
ddash 1 heat pts
space
space
$24,698 | Props total: 7756 7756
ahhahaha props

4 years ago '09        #12
messy marv stan 5035 heat pts5035
space
space
$67,854 | Props total: 106391 106391
 Chedda said
While all jpegs are selected, right click and select DURATION. A small box will appear and you lower the duration of each jpeg to 0.1

[pic - click to view]

After all jpegs are shortened to 0.1 duration, now, render as a gif in Camtasia and you're finished.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

KEEP IN MIND...
Photo hosting sites that host pictures like photobucket or Tinypic.com only allow small filesizes. (Use Imgur.com cause they allow for slightly larger files) If you run into trouble with filesize, choose smaller dimensions.

[pic - click to view]

Sorry this was a little long. This is one of many different ways you can do this.

Hopefully, now we can see other BX members come up with some cool gifs.

END RESULT:

[pic - click to view]

how would I go about doin the facial transplant effect using only paint.net program
[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #13
NuffGanja 117 heat pts117
space
space
$35,726 | Props total: 14938 14938
 Chedda said

[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '07        #14
Avon_Barksdale 4646 heat pts4646
space
space
$48,704 | Props total: 85104 85104
 Chedda said

[pic - click to view]

Dope Post...

@ We Need This To Be A Sticky Ickky Bruh...

4 years ago '10        #15
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$50,736 | Props total: 15348 15348
My homie @ won Boxden
[pic - click to view]

4 years ago '04        #16
adthekidd 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,062 | Props total: 5771 5771
wish there was a simple way to make gifs on macs

4 years ago '08        #17
Datboitrill 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,656 | Props total: 2403 2403
Thank u

4 years ago '14        #18
Kyu 457 heat pts457
space
space
$72,003 | Props total: 141791 141791
 Kade said
I know right

4 years ago '08        #19
Captain Planet 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,423 | Props total: 277 277
That's LIT!!!!

4 years ago '12        #20
warning 16 heat pts16
space
space
$1,392 | Props total: 458 458
major props

4 years ago '11        #21
PlayMeSumPimpin 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,510 | Props total: 536 536
 Chedda said
ha naaaah, I get asked how to do it probably every other day.

I had some pretty terrible ones in the beginning, but it didnt take long to figure out how to make them look better.

For example, look at this one....

[pic - click to view]

Notice his head is moving in a weird way. That was because I would add the head as a new layer then edit it accordingly and adjusted it to fit. The problem was that every time I adjusted the size of the head it wasn't the same exact size as the previous frame. This is the result.

Lets say I edit the very first frame and saved it. The two pictures (background and head) are flattened and merged together. I later learned, instead of adding the head into every frame...

I CTRL + Z and it unflattens the previous frame (frame 1) and separates the two pictures again (background and head). Then I delete the background (frame 1) and add the next frame (frame 2) with the same head that I used in frame 1. That way, the head will be the same size in all the frames cause it is never adjusted big or small. So it is kind of in reverse than adding the head directly to every frame. With this, I add the background to every head. (If that makes sense)
I thought the head moving made it funnier

4 years ago '12        #22
WhosIt 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,682 | Props total: 1301 1301

4 years ago '08        #23
svvt14 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,603 | Props total: 245 245
I see ya son

4 years ago '13        #24
Jubz 22 heat pts22
space
space
$2,511 | Props total: 6454 6454
I tried it out! Props!

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Jubz; 11-06-2014 at 02:05 PM..

4 years ago '13        #25
Jubz 22 heat pts22
space
space
$2,511 | Props total: 6454 6454

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
+16online now  17
Image(s) inside AY Y wud I post ya sister ?! (when I could just post her fam & friends..
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+37online now  10
Video inside Chris Hansen still catching dudes
54 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  8
Kanye says 2 of the 12 lost tribes of Israel are black. Is he correct?
51 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  8
So Young Thug a mason mason
221 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  7
Dec 15 - "saddam hussein" was allegedly found in a spider hole bunker 15 years..
165 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-23online now  5
Dec 15 - 10 year old boy in drag danced for money at a NY gay bar. MSM Silent!..
141 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
-24online now  3
Article inside Joyner Lucas joins in the Kanye/Drake Beef!(Sides with YE)
22 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+126online now  2
Video inside If this video was in 2018 this man would be dead
81 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy