What Killed/Hurt ______'s Career?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
2353 replies  @bxwf

most viewed right now
-23  138
152 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

6 months ago '08        #51
halftime 
Props total: 28288 28 K  Slaps total: 3589 3 K
 MegaTON said
Gorilla Zoe - dropped 28 mixtapes in 28 days... (no one heard any of em)
NY in general - tryin to sound like young n*ggas/south n*ggas/chicago n*ggas/uk n*ggas etc - also is their only like 3 producers out there who do beats for fat joe/jadakiss/french? all their beats sound the same for the last 10 years, heavily quantized but still offbeat type sh*t
Famous Dex - too much drugs soon as he was gaining momentum
Lil B - overplayed his gimmick
Roscoe Dash - too many ppl jacked his sound before he could even really blow with it - to the point n*gga didn't even know what separated him from them n*ggas who stole his sound
Troy Ave - no originality, n*ggas was really tryin to rep for him cuz hes from ny or whatever but it got old quick
dave east - constant mids
g herbo - heard 1 song u've heard em all
blocboy jb - no more drake features
lil xan - he's billie eilish now

the accuracy

6 months ago '15        #52
RealDeal134  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 9193 9 K  Slaps total: 13036 13 K
The South Started polluting the airwaves and paying djs

Everyone followed suit
+1   

6 months ago '18        #53
YouSmokeReggie 
Props total: 12534 12 K  Slaps total: 1457 1 K
As always
Gotta bring up Shy Glizzy and the greasy neck tour
+1   

6 months ago '04        #54
slapaho 
Props total: 17966 17 K  Slaps total: 900 900
 SeanP3688 said
Big KRIT -

Prolly has more talent that the rappers we currently put in the top 3.
Because he produces most of his own music, his sound got a little predictable.
Being from Mississippi. And mostly talking about country sh*t and making "country rap tunes" Ala UGK
Wrong era, as an artist and with his sound, probably fit better some where in the early to mid 2000's.
Def Jam tried to make his first album too commercial when he was coming off dropping a mixtape that was getting play like an album.
Wasn't able to get a huge hit-radio play song.

Still has his core fan base and we won't let him fall off. But damn feels like he should be up there with Cole and Kendricks.
once the music becomes self aware it turns “fans” off..

Same with k*ller mike dead prez and a lot of others it’s kinda sad how the outside consumers can even dictate what actual hip hop fans enjoy.. almost like it’s designed that way.

I think the wave of “mixtape” rappers hurt their career chasing label deals and not just starting and finishing independent. 10 years ago the idea of releasing your music yourself was still taboo all those really talented artist never got proper shine and it’s a damn shame too
+6   

6 months ago '20        #55
A Anthology 
Props total: 702 702  Slaps total: 36 36
 MegaTON said
NY in general - tryin to sound like young n*ggas/south n*ggas/chicago n*ggas/uk n*ggas etc - also is their only like 3 producers out there who do beats for fat joe/jadakiss/french? all their beats sound the same for the last 10 years, heavily quantized but still offbeat type sh*t
Roscoe Dash - too many ppl jacked his sound before he could even really blow with it - to the point n*gga didn't even know what separated him from them n*ggas who stole his sound
Troy Ave - no originality, n*ggas was really tryin to rep for him cuz hes from ny or whatever but it got old quick
Very well put. 👏🏿

6 months ago '16        #56
russisblack  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 19608 19 K  Slaps total: 2814 2 K
 MegaTON said

Holy sh*t
+3   

6 months ago '16        #57
russisblack  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 19608 19 K  Slaps total: 2814 2 K
 ExNihilo said
Don Trip & Starlito

Don Trip had a Cee Lo feature on his 1st major track and was with Interscope

Starlito was down with Cash Money/Young Buck, but had a buzz in Memphis

They had bars out the South and good connects, but it seems like they got black balled for some reason

Trip never dropped a project with Interscope and Lito never caught the buzz he should have. Lito had beef with Young Buck, but that's still small compared to his buzz. They broke Kevin Gates

Trip n Lito cold, this track is old

Starlito my guy !!!

Dude wild underrated it’s ridiculous .

He walkeddddd on this record sh*t was one of the

best verses of the year when it dropped

& this a classic right here … nahhh the game did

ma boy dirty fr he was wild consistent too

Last edited by russisblack; 08-06-2022 at 10:08 AM..
+2   

6 months ago '07        #58
killahkazi 
Props total: 12528 12 K  Slaps total: 1058 1 K
My brother brought up once that Prodigy didn't rap the same after Takeover. Now of course he still had a long consistent career until his death and I haven't really took the time to look this up, but his flow did get simplified right around that time and it always made me wonder
+2   

6 months ago '05        #59
gizmozoe 
Props total: 3262 3 K  Slaps total: 546 546
Young dro. He couldn't get out of his own way smh
+2   

6 months ago '18        #60
dacoolestg 
Props total: 25068 25 K  Slaps total: 3066 3 K
 MegaTON said
i remember a juelz interview where he talked about having hard drives of unreleased music (skull gang era so it'd all be 2007 and earlier sh*t) but nothin ever came of it, their was stories about max b/jim jones having hard drives of music too but who knows - back in 2007 a 120gb hd would've been a lot, 500gb/1tb is like the standard now

also boosie def shoulda stuck with mouese on the track
juelz studio got raided by the feds and they took the hard drives
+3   

6 months ago '07        #61
killahkazi 
 Oswaldgatesjr said
What k*lled ace hood career?

Ace jumped out in front of the world at 19 on our television screens with a fast wicked flow that was unique. He wasn't garbage but the thing that k*lled his career was he never had a initial fan base. When we first saw him is when everyone first saw him. It wasn't like he had wrk on mixtapes years b4. So the lack of a fanbase k*lled his album saies. The man released 4 major record label albums smh.
That and

Also dude didn't really have bars like that. He rapped fast and had these loud a*s beats and sh*t, but I can't think of one lyric from dude
+7   

6 months ago '07        #62
killahkazi 
 Dnyce215 said
What k*lled Ray Cash career? Cash on delivery was a dope album.
Not sure, but I heard dude was overly arrogant in general. Maybe that had something to do with it.

s*x Appeal was hard AF though.

6 months ago '17        #63
sweetermanz 
Props total: 5202 5 K  Slaps total: 685 685
 Fameus said
If your a artist you're always just one hit away. Nothing k*lls your career but you. R. Kelly got off trial released ignition and I believe and all was forgiven MJ released some of his best music after his trials. Both these guys were on trial for underage sh*t if that doesn't k*ll a career what will.
That’s not true though.

R Kelly and MJ had some of the largest fanbases in the music industry. Comparing them with rappers with a few hits isn’t fair.

Once they came out of the mud they had their fan base plus the machine plus heavy records to back them
+6   

6 months ago '11        #64
BigLap704 
Props total: 452 452  Slaps total: 34 34
 FrivolousSports said
Cam dissing jay who was the president of def jam k*lled juelz career

I was just randomly thinking about this earlier this week how funny it was for Cam to get Jimmie Walker to play HOV in his video. Had Jimmie step out the maybach with the John Cletas sandals

+11   

6 months ago '05        #65
SeanP3688 
Props total: 6913 6 K  Slaps total: 837 837
 slapaho said
once the music becomes self aware it turns “fans” off..

Same with k*ller mike dead prez and a lot of others it’s kinda sad how the outside consumers can even dictate what actual hip hop fans enjoy.. almost like it’s designed that way.

I think the wave of “mixtape” rappers hurt their career chasing label deals and not just starting and finishing independent. 10 years ago the idea of releasing your music yourself was still taboo all those really talented artist never got proper shine and it’s a damn shame too

Very true. I feel the Def Jam deal fu*ked up his momentum when he first signed. And then again once he had label trouble and had to get off.

Now independent is the move. Currensy didn't really chase the big record deals. I believe he did it for like one or two albums just for a check but it wasn't like he was ever trying to fu*k with that forreal. Wish KRIT woulda did the same.
+5   

6 months ago '15        #66
MuckCityDawg  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 5981 5 K  Slaps total: 418 418
Foxx - Trill Entertainment Didn't Promote His Debut Album "Street Gossip"

OJ Da Juiceman - Mizay Entertainment (The Management Company Owned By Waka Flocka Flame's Mother Debra Antney) Was Stealing Money From Him. OJ Da Juiceman Don't Own The Rights To "Make The Trap Say Aye"

Skooly - The Bankroll Fresh Situation Hurt His Reputation. The Same Way People Hated Quando Rondo For What Happened To King Von Is The Same Way People Hated Skooly For What Happened To Bankroll Fresh. He Should Have Never Brought No Plug To The Studio

DG Yola - Serving Life In Prison For murder

Maine Musik - Serving 7 Years In Federal Prison For Gun Charges

Boosie - Try To Fit In With Today's Generation And His New Music Ain't Connecting With Fans On The National Level
+4   

6 months ago '21        #67
Manolo456 
Props total: 1148 1 K  Slaps total: 41 41
 SeanP3688 said
Big KRIT -

Prolly has more talent that the rappers we currently put in the top 3.
Because he produces most of his own music, his sound got a little predictable.
Being from Mississippi. And mostly talking about country sh*t and making "country rap tunes" Ala UGK
Wrong era, as an artist and with his sound, probably fit better some where in the early to mid 2000's.
Def Jam tried to make his first album too commercial when he was coming off dropping a mixtape that was getting play like an album.
Wasn't able to get a huge hit-radio play song.

Still has his core fan base and we won't let him fall off. But damn feels like he should be up there with Cole and Kendricks.
Yeah Def Jam definitely dropped the ball with Krit he had a nice buzz leading up to Live from the Underground but the album fell flat cause he couldn’t use samples the way he did on his mixtapes so the beats sounded kind of lifeless and hollow.
+3   

6 months ago '06        #68
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 39845 39 K  Slaps total: 2687 2 K
 Steve Gee97 said
Blame that on Polow Da Don...

Dude got bigheaded and burned some bridges.

Rich Boy's album and Gangsta Grillz tape used to be in rotation as a kid. Had a Andre 3000, Jim Jones, and Wayne verse too.

No way the "King of the White Girls" could get bigheaded and burn bridges.

+1   

6 months ago '10        #69
Walmart 
Props total: 27817 27 K  Slaps total: 2798 2 K
 Jaye85 said
Kxng Crooked/Crooked I - him being signed to Tha Row which was already washed up and affiliating themselves with Tha Inc., most likely being blacklisted by Snoop, Daz, and Dre at a time when Aftermath/Shady/G-Unit were running the industry. Then the whole Slaughterhouse thing.

Always felt this song and vid was a carbon copy of "In Da Club".

True, Crook said he couldn't even get into certain venues b/c of him being on DR at that time.

Fortunately his career panned out with Slaughterhouse.

Honestly, he wasn't meant to be a mainstream artist, even when they had him on that Ashanti remix.

Crook was always a backpack rapper that could make dope songs, but didn't really seem to be meant to be a commercial star or platinum solo artist.
+2   

6 months ago '06        #70
28 Gramz 
Props total: 12131 12 K  Slaps total: 1886 1 K
 killahkazi said
Not sure, but I heard dude was overly arrogant in general. Maybe that had something to do with it.

s*x Appeal was hard AF though.
No homo but Ray Cash was ugly af. Like alien not from this planet type sh*t. Image means too much in the rap game so fell short.

I remember when his video dropped and everybody at school was clowning like fu*k

+1   

6 months ago '21        #71
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 26327 26 K  Slaps total: 7520 7 K
Hear me out

Lil B could’ve been a much bigger deal but ran that Based sh*t into the ground and never evolved
+5   

6 months ago '04        #72
Keystone 
Props total: 1555 1 K  Slaps total: 34 34
 MegaTON said

Simple but complex at the same time
+1   

6 months ago '04        #73
Keystone 
Props total: 1555 1 K  Slaps total: 34 34
 28 Gramz said
No homo but Ray Cash was ugly af. Like alien not from this planet type sh*t. Image means too much in the rap game so fell short.

I remember when his video dropped and everybody at school was clowning like fu*k

+2   

6 months ago '18        #74
set117  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 25306 25 K  Slaps total: 2988 2 K
 Steve Gee97 said
Lito is content with not being a star...

He's cool with that. Remember when he signed to Cash Money and had him write for Wayne and Baby.

I'd rather be independent than to be signed just to sit on the shelf.
The most successful independent artists got momentum from being signed at one point. That major marketing money can set you up nice. Better to be signed with a decent budget and put out mixtapes than be indie and put out an album poorly marketed with low sales that doesn't get past gatekeepers on major platforms. I know from experience as someone from the first XXL freshman class.
+4   

6 months ago '04        #75
one hundred 
Props total: 1325 1 K  Slaps total: 154 154
 MegaTON said
i remember a juelz interview where he talked about having hard drives of unreleased music (skull gang era so it'd all be 2007 and earlier sh*t) but nothin ever came of it, their was stories about max b/jim jones having hard drives of music too but who knows - back in 2007 a 120gb hd would've been a lot, 500gb/1tb is like the standard now

also boosie def shoulda stuck with mouese on the track
I can confirm Jim had hard drives full of music, max had over 700 songs. I was the Byrd gang a*sistant a&r from 2005-2009. Max had so many songs some days when nobody was in the studio me and the a&r Chris luck use to go through them and play random songs everyone forgot about. Max had so many random songs with hot and upcoming artists around that time that never came out. I remember I randomly found a folder and he had 3 joints with Paul wall. Some of them leaked because at the end of every session the engineers a*sistant use to burn a cd for him but I heard jim lost all those hard drives in storage, I still have a random Byrd gang Mac desktop that I haven’t checked in over 10 years ,I know it has something on it. I’ll go through it one day.
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+39online now  28
[Health] R.I.P Dr. Sebi “Mucus is the Cause”
186 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+17online now  22
Video inside Jan 27 - Video Released. Police beating of Tyre Nichols
641 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  22
audio inside Biggie mentioned 8 year old Raven Symone in his song about fu-king famo..
218 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  17
Article inside Scientists Find Way of Using WiFi to Monitor People Through Walls
44 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy