Is AZ the most underrated emcee ever?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

1 week ago '04        #26
skillahmang 
Props total: 52514 52 K  Slaps total: 10953 10 K
Sure.

1 week ago '15        #27
Intro 
Props total: 508 508  Slaps total: 14 14
Top 5 over hea
+1   

1 week ago '04        #28
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 11780 11 K  Slaps total: 2761 2 K
his entrance to the game was nothing short of legendary and he managed to drop gems here and there since the first album which i think is 4.5 mics but... im not quite sure about his consistency

i mean he drops enough to the point where he cant say he doesnt really care, but he doesnt make enough effort, either for someone of his caliber to be still be at where he at in terms of success (however you wanna define that) n respect

is he still mooching off of that cosmetics lady?

1 week ago '18        #29
Loknows 
Props total: 2031 2 K  Slaps total: 143 143
I don't know about AZ but Arizona ain't sh*t

1 week ago '12        #30
sycomiko 
Props total: 2519 2 K  Slaps total: 1078 1 K
Some good artists brought up. Let me add a couple favorites

I always thought chamillionaire rapped his a*s off here. I always recited lyrics to my favorite songs and I always liked the way the words flowed off my tongue on this one

+3   

1 week ago '11        #31
ChickBoss414 
Props total: 953 953  Slaps total: 59 59
 judono? said
Gift of Gab is more under-rated. Black Thought is still the most underrated mc of all time. Quick ó- name your top 5 mcís all time. Waitó- u got biggie and jay-z on your list, but not black thought. Get the motherfu*k outta here. Never in life is big or jay rappin iller then black thought. AZ had some songs and some verses. Black Thought bodied sh*t for like 3 decades.
-

You might want to go back and check the resume! The man got more than "some songs and verses" -- His first issue was that he actually got sued by AZIE FAISON ( of Rich Porter and Alpo notoriety) for the use of the name/likeness which was settled out of court for about half a million dollars (irony) after that first album (go back and check the marketing, at one point, he was being promoted as "AZ the Visualiza") -- although not a fatal blow, it still was a bit of a setback as he seemingly had that sophomore slump situation like Snoop after his first release. He also fell prey to record labels folding right after that first release which leads to the biggest issue.

The second (real) issue was he really never aligned with any MAJOR LABEL and 2 of his best albums were released on MOTOWN (Virgin being the other). - MOTOWN, REALLY? The biggest thing they ever promoted rap-wise to that point being a Queen Latifah album in 1993! (No disrespect, but come on!) Motown didn't know how to put any type of rapper like him to the forefront of the rap/music world (especially in the late 90's and early 2000's)

Back then, we already know the commercialization of ultra fly super lyrical superfluous emcees needed all the promo and big budgets that they could get to reach the masses that weren't actually true to listening to the art of rap and just casual listeners and consumers. (Nas had Def Jam and Columbia for most of his career/ Jay had Def Jam for most of his career/ B.I.G. had Bad Boy / etc. etc.)

This man's rap skill is ONE of a kind and only paralleled by a few. I always refer to the Eminem factor-- as he admits between AZ and Treach (of Naughty by Nature) thats where his own style was birthed. His flow is virtually untouchable and rhyme skill is apple crown smooth.

I understand why it's hard for him to drop album after album like his contemporaries without the right backing. However, I said he should have made a move to funk with Ross and them Justice League cats somehow. Thats the commercial sound he needs to crossover to new channels, but then again, maybe that's not what he wants. Some cats know how to bubble without using a big pot..

I am not going to say he hasn't had us waiting for "Doe or Die 2" since like forever, but when you recognize this man's talent and prowess, it makes sh*t just that much sweeter when he does release something (did't he murder everybody on that NaS track last summer?!) This man IS 1995 New York rap in 2021 ...Vintage! Classic! Timeless! Put some 'spekt on his name!

+6   

1 week ago '18        #32
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 36082 36 K  Slaps total: 1994 1 K
 Duhsten said
Elzhi ?

1 week ago '18        #33
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x95
Props total: 119466 119 K  Slaps total: 5377 5 K
Yes, he's in my top 5 of Brooklyn Mc's.

+1   

1 week ago '11        #34
Rishi P 
Props total: 147 147  Slaps total: 42 42
Always been a fan, just never understood why he barely drops

Was it work ethic, label issues? Nowadays you can just record and drop on your own though
+1   

1 week ago '15        #35
Veggie Burgers 
Props total: 11154 11 K  Slaps total: 734 734
Gotta ask this in every Az thread: does anybody have the Show Me What You Got Freestyle? I swear that sh*t was scrubbed from the internet

1 week ago '06        #36
LYTE 
Props total: 22950 22 K  Slaps total: 2027 2 K
As an AZ fan, no he's not underrated.
I used to say he was the most overrated but last few years(7 or so), I realized he's not.

He's nice! Wordplay/flow pattern/delivery etc.

However he's not consistent musically. He's not creative musically. He doesnt create a wave. He follows the wave that his peers are doing.

AZ never been the first to do anything musically.
Btw, I've been waiting for Doe or Die 2 for over 10 years

Last edited by LYTE; 07-22-2021 at 07:56 AM..

1 week ago '06        #37
LYTE 
Props total: 22950 22 K  Slaps total: 2027 2 K
 ChickBoss414 said
-

You might want to go back and check the resume! The man got more than "some songs and verses" -- His first issue was that he actually got sued by AZIE FAISON ( of Rich Porter and Alpo notoriety) for the use of the name/likeness which was settled out of court for about half a million dollars (irony) after that first album (go back and check the marketing, at one point, he was being promoted as "AZ the Visualiza") -- although not a fatal blow, it still was a bit of a setback as he seemingly had that sophomore slump situation like Snoop after his first release. He also fell prey to record labels folding right after that first release which leads to the biggest issue.

The second (real) issue was he really never aligned with any MAJOR LABEL and 2 of his best albums were released on MOTOWN (Virgin being the other). - MOTOWN, REALLY? The biggest thing they ever promoted rap-wise to that point being a Queen Latifah album in 1993! (No disrespect, but come on!) Motown didn't know how to put any type of rapper like him to the forefront of the rap/music world (especially in the late 90's and early 2000's)

Back then, we already know the commercialization of ultra fly super lyrical superfluous emcees needed all the promo and big budgets that they could get to reach the masses that weren't actually true to listening to the art of rap and just casual listeners and consumers. (Nas had Def Jam and Columbia for most of his career/ Jay had Def Jam for most of his career/ B.I.G. had Bad Boy / etc. etc.)

This man's rap skill is ONE of a kind and only paralleled by a few. I always refer to the Eminem factor-- as he admits between AZ and Treach (of Naughty by Nature) thats where his own style was birthed. His flow is virtually untouchable and rhyme skill is apple crown smooth.

I understand why it's hard for him to drop album after album like his contemporaries without the right backing. However, I said he should have made a move to funk with Ross and them Justice League cats somehow. Thats the commercial sound he needs to crossover to new channels, but then again, maybe that's not what he wants. Some cats know how to bubble without using a big pot..

I am not going to say he hasn't had us waiting for "Doe or Die 2" since like forever, but when you recognize this man's talent and prowess, it makes sh*t just that much sweeter when he does release something (did't he murder everybody on that NaS track last summer?!) This man IS 1995 New York rap in 2021 ...Vintage! Classic! Timeless! Put some 'spekt on his name!

I can tell you're a fan. Most people don't get and I didn't either as a younging. However, as I get older, I peeped a lot of things that he didn't do.

Best either lazy or come across lazy.

That Motown sh*t was an excellent example. Funny sh*t is he knew that but we t because they offered a bigger bag.

You know it's all about the money...smh
+1   

1 week ago '05        #38
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 22202 22 K  Slaps total: 8621 8 K
In the 90ís, AZ >>>>>>>>>>>> Hov

1 week ago '18        #39
dacoolestg 
Props total: 12414 12 K  Slaps total: 1817 1 K
only reason sosa didnt blow large is because he didnít do this to tap dance for them majors. A is super smart and knew he wasnt supposed to sign to the industry he blew independent
+1   

1 week ago '05        #40
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 22202 22 K  Slaps total: 8621 8 K
I wish Nas and AZ made an album (s) between 94-96
+1   

1 week ago '15        #41
Minkscobar!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 23046 23 K  Slaps total: 5974 5 K
Wouldnt be so underrated... if instead of making this same post every 2 weeks..

You just..

1. Support, buy, and play the music
2. Added him to your top 10 list..

This same post has been made about this man since early 2000s...
+1   

1 week ago '16        #42
Negusis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30113 30 K  Slaps total: 3753 3 K
No.

AZ is rated right where he should be.
+1   

1 week ago '20        #43
Easy Doesit 
Props total: 9908 9 K  Slaps total: 2157 2 K
No Phonte?

Smh...

Top 10 most propped recently  1 week ago '13        #44
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 80399 80 K  Slaps total: 31845 31 K
TOp 5 most...

We probably never getting Doe or Die part 2

+1   

1 week ago '05        #45
B.S. Writer 
Props total: 7832 7 K  Slaps total: 315 315
AZ is most definitely the most underrated emcee. Dude could flow his a*s off and always came with some knowledge too.

+1   

1 week ago '04        #46
missing linX 
Props total: 1300 1 K  Slaps total: 162 162
I've always thought that Az was arguably the most underrated/underappreciated rapper.
+2   

1 week ago '09        #47
That Guy Fly 
Props total: 44064 44 K  Slaps total: 13331 13 K
I don't know bout top 5 but he is underrated. Between him and Kurupt who is the most underrated. No coast bias please

1 week ago '05        #48
judono?  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 5461 5 K  Slaps total: 1508 1 K
 Tracy Morgan said
Nah my top 5 emcees are

Pac
Nas
Budden
Andre 3000
Prodigy
Im fu*king with this list.
+1   

1 week ago '21        #49
Tracy Morgan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
Props total: 1750 1 K  Slaps total: 677 677
 Veggie Burgers said
Gotta ask this in every Az thread: does anybody have the Show Me What You Got Freestyle? I swear that sh*t was scrubbed from the internet
Was it bad

1 week ago '05        #50
judono?  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 5461 5 K  Slaps total: 1508 1 K
 That Guy Fly said
I don't know bout top 5 but he is underrated. Between him and Kurupt who is the most underrated. No coast bias please
AZ, by far. A young kurupt from the chronic/doggystyle/ and the first dogg pound album was a raw rapper. Then he fell off.

AZ just needs stellar production. Give him 10 undeniable classic beats, and AZ might probably drop a classic
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+60online now  23
Fauci Says You Got Vaccinated For Nothing
399 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+133online now  17
Video inside Lupe not playing fair right now
275 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+60online now  17
Image(s) inside Wanna know why you didnt get those travis Scott's?...
324 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+36online now  10
No. 1 Overall HS QB could skip Senior Yr to attend Ohio State This Fall
114 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy