RIP: Two-year contracts at Verizon are dead; activation and upgrade fees rise 50% to $30

most viewed right now
Jan 17 - So no one's gonna talk about Bernie Sanders killing Besty DeVos??
51 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside FULL: Lisa Evers Explains Taxstone's Federal Charges, There Is A Snitch..
105 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Polynesian Princess
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jan 17 - Pit bulls attack kids walking to school bus stop in Atl, kill..
185 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

New replies show every 10 seconds
 1 week ago '13        #41
Slickster90 
space
space
$1,253 | Props total: 603 603
Bought my 6 Plus used off contract for almost $600...so I guess I got r*ped but its been solid and was in excellent condition, not gonna get a new device until I need to or Apple does something special, which I doubt...
 1 week ago '06        #42
psq86 
space
space
$1,167 | Props total: 299 299
Not that long ago people were paying 90 bucks a month for 450 minutes unl text and 2gb of data. Now unl min,text and 2gb is 55 bucks but it's on you for the phone. Don't see how things have gotten worse.
Itzike gave props

1 week ago '05        #43
highcalibermusi 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,549 | Props total: 1001 1001
Verizon's DPP is a 2 year contract essentially. If you broke the 2 year, you paying for the contract termination and with the DPP you paying the rest of the phone, same thing.

That's why I always buy my phones out right and suggest to people to do the same, or at least put down half on the phone and it'll buy itself out within the bill in 6 months. Cell phone carriers are legal crooks.
 1 week ago '06        #44
yumflip 4 heat pts
space
space
$8,945 | Props total: 986 986
 Straightfool said:
So true but i get service everywhere with verizon....bill sucks tho....im thinking about switchin soon...my bill is like a damn car note
Bruh....

Been on Verizon since '04. I got Stockholm Syndrome fukkin w/them n*ggas.

No matter how they give me the business, I ain't going anywhere.
 1 week ago '10        #45
El Squanto 
space
space
$352 | Props total: 74 74
Leasing phones is a rip off. Don't be a sucker.
TheDirector217 gave props

1 week ago '04        #46
Tikyle2 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,395 | Props total: 320 320
 Jacc Blacc said:
subjected???

bro, 2 year contract versus a 2 year LEASE, there arent any difference except you arent getting a new phone and after 2 years you have to give the phone back or pay an extra 200

im on sprint, i extend 2 years and get a new phne for free because im happy with my service and i was never4 going to leave, so me extending 2 years means jack, i was never going anywhere

now this lease sh*t is a hustle, 2 get out of a lease you got to pay a feee, no different then getting out of a 2 year contract, so all they did was change the name from contract to lease and then say the phone aint yours

they win

you lose

once again...you still get penalized and get fees if you leave the lease early
You actually have it backwards. The two year contracts are a hustle. Sprint is the cheapest so it's not as much from them but this is how it works.

Sign a 2 year deal. The phone is "cheaper" or even "free." The problem is you are paying for the phone in the price for your plan. That is why some people were paying up to $120/month for a single phone plan.

The EIP works two ways. It's a lease with the option to buy. You pay $200 up front for most phones. Then they break down your payments for the rest over 24 months. So if the phone retails for say $600, you pay $200 up front and your monthly payments are $16.67 ($400/24). You have two options. Keep the phone 24 months and then you'll own it. Or trade it in whenever you want and get a new phone. You won't have to pay the initial $200 but you won't get fair market value for your phone either. So say you trade in after 1 year. You get the newer $600 phone and just keep paying $16.67. So basically you paid $400 for that first phone and they give you $200 for it after a year. You could sell that same phone for $300 easily.

The way the 2 year contracts were a hustle is you'd end up paying something around $800 for that same $600 phone and be stuck for 2 years. If you decide to leave a carrier early on EIP you just give them the phone back and owe nothing or you can pay it off and own it.
Young Professa gave props

Y.G. and 1 others slapped this ish

1 week ago '08        #47
justinblaze83 
space
space
$175 | Props total: 0 0
Aight ... lemme clear up a few things .. Verizon does not have a lease the .. device payment plan (dpp). Out the door you pay the taxes plus a $20 fee then monthly you pay for the phone. No monthly fees or anything .. some phones after 12 months you can RETURN it and start a new agreement. If you go the full 24 months the phone is yours. If you cancel during the agreeement you pay what's left on the phone no etf. And say 8 months in you want a new phone, well you can do a buyout meaning pay off the remaining balance of the phone and then you can start a new agreement. Also they have different promotions that come about that allow for you to get discounts on the phone . Like they just had iPhone 7 for as slow as $10 a month if you trade in a phone. But yea I feel y'all... and you also have the option for a down payment if you want your monthly payment lower
 7 days ago '07        #48
Escobar97 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,355 | Props total: 105 105
What n*ggas don't get is that the old 2 year contract would increase your line access from $20/month (out of contact) to $40/month (in contract) for 24 months

sooooo.... $20x24= $480
+ $199 (contract price for phone = $680
+ $40 (activation fee) = $720

n*ggas BEEN paying over full retail for their phones lmao
the lease program lets you upgrade more frequently and not lock into a contract so it's still better...

source: i work for verizon
Jasonb619 and 3 others gave props

King Sunny slapped this ish

7 days ago '04        #49
Jasonb619 
space
space
$3,221 | Props total: 10 10
 Escobar97 said:
What n*ggas don't get is that the old 2 year contract would increase your line access from $20/month (out of contact) to $40/month (in contract) for 24 months

sooooo.... $20x24= $480
+ $199 (contract price for phone = $680
+ $40 (activation fee) = $720

n*ggas BEEN paying over full retail for their phones lmao
the lease program lets you upgrade more frequently and not lock into a contract so it's still better...

source: i work for verizon
haha it is funny because I brought those same numbers to Verizon support and said how does that make sense? They had no answer except well guess someone people realize it is a scam.

Btw since you work for Verizon, any tips for getting a deal either on phone or service? I like their service, but man T-mobile making it tempting to jump ship
 7 days ago '11        #50
KING JAYY 511 heat pts511
space
space
$48,572 | Props total: 12120 12120
 Pilscy said:
still on my iPhone 5s ... ain't got time to keep buying phones with a few enhancements

My 5s work and I like the size
iPhone 6&7 big like galaxies I don't fu*k with that
Broke boy
Itzike gave props

7 days ago '07        #51
Escobar97 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,355 | Props total: 105 105
 Jasonb619 said:
haha it is funny because I brought those same numbers to Verizon support and said how does that make sense? They had no answer except well guess someone people realize it is a scam.

Btw since you work for Verizon, any tips for getting a deal either on phone or service? I like their service, but man T-mobile making it tempting to jump ship

1. The insurance is a scam avoid that at all costs (apple care is better for the $) plus Asurion sends you refurbished devices and there is a deductible (usually around $169-$200
2. Take advantage of the trade in deals those usually come up around the holidays or a flagship release (New iPhone or Samsung) and verizon gives more money for trade ins around a new flagship release
3. Call customer care and see if they can wive the activation fee (alot can be accomplished by saying that a competitor is willing to buy you out)

other than that remember that it's a competitive market and you get what you pay for, Verizon may be higher priced but their service is GOAT, that just a fact)

You can pay less but you'll get inferior product like Sprint or T-Mo
The Dauqs and 1 others gave props

7 days ago '05        #52
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,126 | Props total: 1123 1123
 NERDBOX said:
Keep using the same phone until it quits working. Problem solved.
Yup. Ive been doing that for 10 years. Buy a good phone and keep it till it dont work or no more updates. These carriers can suck my d!ck. I feel bad for all the stupid a.sses that use that plan cause they raping yall no vaseline
jasonchambers and 1 others gave props

7 days ago '04        #53
Jasonb619 
space
space
$3,221 | Props total: 10 10
 Escobar97 said:
1. The insurance is a scam avoid that at all costs (apple care is better for the $) plus Asurion sends you refurbished devices and there is a deductible (usually around $169-$200
2. Take advantage of the trade in deals those usually come up around the holidays or a flagship release (New iPhone or Samsung) and verizon gives more money for trade ins around a new flagship release
3. Call customer care and see if they can wive the activation fee (alot can be accomplished by saying that a competitor is willing to buy you out)

other than that remember that it's a competitive market and you get what you pay for, Verizon may be higher priced but their service is GOAT, that just a fact)

You can pay less but you'll get inferior product like Sprint or T-Mo
Thanks for the info. The whole business has definitely changed. My S5 works ok, but been eying an upgrade, but think I will let things play out first and wait for opportunity to jump in.
 7 days ago '09        #54
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$23,991 | Props total: 4302 4302
 Tikyle2 said:
You actually have it backwards. The two year contracts are a hustle. Sprint is the cheapest so it's not as much from them but this is how it works.

Sign a 2 year deal. The phone is "cheaper" or even "free." The problem is you are paying for the phone in the price for your plan. That is why some people were paying up to $120/month for a single phone plan.

that sounds like either a lease or someone bought a phone and it was broken into installments on their bill

usually every time my contract was up i went to the local best buy, and they always had a deal where you get a free cell for extending your contract, not tricks, no strings, just an extension and like i said before...i wasnt going anywhere, i actually like sprint
 7 days ago '15        #55
grown simba 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,206 | Props total: 1172 1172
they must have lost too many customers to T-Mobile

6 days ago '04        #56
famoussasjohn 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,675 | Props total: 154 154
 AmazinJay said:
Disregard the responding post. But my understanding was that these were financing plans that didn't lock you in for 2 years.
Technically yes and no. You can cancel at any time, though instead of an ETF of ~$350 (or whatever Verizon charged before for 2 year contracts), it will be the remaining installment balance if you cancel service. So if you're phone is $900 and you cancel after paying $100, you're going to owe $800 when you cancel.

Last edited by famoussasjohn; 01-12-2017 at 07:31 AM..
 6 days ago '06        #57
Mike in Tampa 20 heat pts20
space
space
$12,355 | Props total: 788 788
I feel like these phones are so good and we don't give credit to their longevity. People upgrade just for the sake of having a later model phone. And the cell phone companies are raking in billions of dollars. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but is just an observation.

I have an iphone 5 that I've been using for several years, since they first came out. I just had the screen replaced. And I'm about to do the battery in a few months. This phone does everything I need it to do and I plan on keeping it for the phone for several more years. My bill is $50/mo with unlimited everything. It would be upwards of 70 or 80 if I was paying on a phone with the bill.

The way technology is, I don't can't foresee me needing to upgrade unless this phone somehow gets damaged beyond repair.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T.I. Blasts Black Celebrities Meeting With Trump, “Kanye The F*ck You ..
141 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside bad boy records curse victims danity kane
30 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Jayz Stan.....BK Tidal Wave Disowns Her Mentor Taxstone...
64 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Find an IT Job Where You Can Work Remotely
87 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
NBA Jimmer Fredette is a dominant "god" in China, averaging 37 PPG
56 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside TaxStone Currently being Arraigned Indictment Unsealed this Afternoon
285 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This is why TAX STONE indictment will include MURDER
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Is OJ Innocent: The Missing Evidence
97 comments
2 days ago