Nov 8 - New scientific research looks @ the positive influence Christianity has had on you

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+57  94
42 comments @hiphop
most viewed right now
196 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 days ago '04        #1
1158 page views
64 comments

Exs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 45103 45 K  Slaps total: 10648 10 K
Nov 8 - New scientific research looks @ the positive influence Christianity has had on you

People in the West are psychologically unlike the rest of the world. Global studies find that Western Europeans and their descendents tend to be more individualistic, less conformist, and more trusting of strangers.

But why? New research posits that the medieval Catholic Church, and its emphasis on monogamous marriage and the small family unit as the foundation of society, is responsible.

According to a study published today (Nov. 7) in the journal Science, countries and regions with a longer exposure to the Western Catholic Church are more likely to show the individualist, nonconformist psychology common to Western nations. The church may have inadvertently molded this psychology with medieval-era policies that ended cousin marriages and other tribe-like bonds, and created nuclear, monogamous households.

"Many decades of research has shown that the psychology of Westerners is different from the rest of the world in that it's more individualistic, analytic, and less conforming. However, until now, we didn't have a good explanation for how people in the West ended up having a psychology that was so unique," said Steven Heine, a professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia who was not involved in the current work. "This paper convincingly demonstrates that people's kinship networks are central to their psychology, and that the medieval Catholic Church instituted some policies regarding family structure that had far-reaching impact that continue to affect how people in the West think today, even if they aren't religious themselves."

The story of the new findings began in 2010, when anthropologist Joe Henrich of Harvard University, along with Heine and another colleague, published a study in the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences pointing out that the vast majority of psychological research has been conducted on what they called "WEIRD" societies: Western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic. Comparative research between WEIRD societies and non-WEIRD societies suggested that WEIRD research subjects were indeed weird — less conformist, more individualistic and more trusting of strangers than most of the rest of the world, to name a few differences.

"The findings suggest that members of WEIRD societies, including young children, are among the least representative populations one could find for generalizing about humans," Henrich and his colleagues wrote.

Naturally, these findings raised the questions of how WEIRD societies became so different from the rest of the world. Henrich pondered this question while studying kinship networks in Fiji (a non-WEIRD society) and while reading about the changes in family structure that occurred in Europe during the Middle Ages. He then learned that Jonathan Schulz, now an economist at George Mason University in Virginia, was working on a similar problem. Schulz had been conducting experiments on cooperation around the globe, and was beginning to suspect that how willing people are to cooperate is influenced by their family and kinship circles.

Henrich, Schulz and colleagues began to investigate a major driver of change in the kinship structure of Western nations: The medieval Catholic Church. The Western Catholic Church, starting in about A.D. 500, gradually began issuing edicts having to do with marriage and family. Cousin marriages were banned, along with polygamy, concubinage and many forms of interfamilial marriage that had traditionally strengthened ties within tribes and clans. In these arrangements, families were tied together by overlapping bonds of marriage and blood relationships. This led to what psychologists and anthropologists call “intensive kinship.” In intensive kinship societies, people tend to be highly loyal to their in-group and to distrust outsiders. They’re also more likely to value conformity, because survival in these societies means throwing one’s lot in with family and kin. In contrast, societies with less-intensive kinship require people to trust and cooperate with strangers for survival, and encourages individualism and noncomformity to the larger group. In these less-intensive societies, people marry outside of their blood relations and set up independent family lineages.

“What we know about kinship structure before the church entered the scene [in Europe], you see that it's not so much different from the rest of the world," Schulz told Live Science. People lived in tight clans, held together by close intermarriage. By about 1500, though, Europeans were largely living in monogamous nuclear households that were only weakly bound to other nuclear families.

The new study shows that these changes had psychological consequences. The researchers pulled together psychological data at a country level, at an individual level, and among second-generation immigrants who lived in one country but grew up influenced by the culture of another. They then calculated the length of time of exposure to the influence of the Western Catholic Church, both country-by-country as well as regionally within Europe. Exposure was measured by how many years the Western Church held sway in a region. For example, in A.D. 1054, when the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches split, the Western Roman Catholic Church continued a comparatively more aggressive campaign of social engineering in Western Europe, but its edicts weren’t relevant in areas where the Eastern Churches had control.

The researchers found that there was a correlation between WEIRD psychology on a countrywide level and exposure to the Western Catholic Church. There wasn't a correlation between WEIRD psychology and the Eastern Church, which fits the hypothesis, the researchers wrote: The Eastern Church issued far fewer edicts involving marriage and family structure, and the analysis found that the length of time under the Western Church, but not the Eastern Church, was correlated to weaker kinship ties. The researchers also measured the intensity of kinship ties and found that the more intensive people's kinship networks, the less individualistic they were.

The researchers controlled for a number of factors that might have provided alternative explanations for the psychological shift, ranging from religiosity and strength of supernatural beliefs to the prosperity of a given region in medieval times. For instance, the researchers wondered if Roman institutions, rather than Catholic marriage policy, could be at the root of these shifts. But the research didn’t bear that out, Henrich told Live Science. The Eastern Roman Empire continued in the form of the Byzantine Empire until 1453. If Roman rule was the driver of kinship changes and psychological shifts, former Byzantine areas should have been the most affected by the new psychology. But they weren't.

The Catholic Church's connection explained differences in individualism not just country by country but also regionally within Europe. Regions that spent longer under the sway of the church show more individualism, less conformity and more trust and concern with fairness between strangers. The analysis of second-generation immigrants, born in Europe with parents who immigrated from elsewhere, also revealed the same links between exposure to the Catholic Church, kinship networks and psychology. Those whose mothers immigrated from places with more Catholic Church exposure and less intensive kinship were more individualistic, less conformist and more trusting than those whose mothers came from places less influenced by that Western Church and heavier in intense kinship ties.

It’s unclear how long it takes for people's psychology to change once their social environment does, Henrich said. The church's campaign on marriage and family took hundreds of years to enact. Typically, immigrants to a new nation take on their adopted culture's psychological profile in about three generations, Henrich said.

"We're hoping, in future projects, to try to pull data from written sources to see how psychology was changing," in Medieval Europe," he said.

Also unclear: Whether humanity is inadvertently doing anything today that might alter cultural psychology hundreds of years in the future. It's a tough question, Schulz said, but researchers are interested in the possible psychological effects of China's One-Child Policy. The One-Child Policy, which began in 1980 and persisted until 2015, prohibited most families in China from having more than one child, and changed family structures to be smaller and less sprawling. We don’t yet know what, if any, psychological consequences might result.

Catholic edicts on marriage aren't the whole story, but the findings suggest the importance of considering history in understanding psychology."Of course, there is also variation in kinship intensity around the world that doesn't stem from the Catholic Church," Schulz said.

visit this link https://www.livescience.c .. ers-weird.html

best
worst
64 comments

4 days ago '04        #2
Exs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
space
space

How is the flu vaccine made every year?

4 days ago '19        #3
Stand Down 
space
space
space
Props total: 5994 5 K  Slaps total: 7574 7 K
+1   

4 days ago '04        #4
space
space
 Stand Down said
the enemy of my enemy is.............

but you shouldn't be. if you could get over yourself you'd understand why

4 days ago '19        #5
Stand Down 
space
space
space
Western Europeans means white people.

How is life for African immigrants in them parts?

Where the reports of them feeling welcomed and trusted? Lol

4 days ago '04        #6
space
space
 Stand Down said
Western Europeans means white people.

How is life for African immigrants in them parts?

Where the reports of them feeling welcomed and trusted? Lol
that's not Science's job to break down dummy.

That's garbage America's job to grow up and mature to being able to handle IN REAL TIME.

4 days ago '19        #7
Stand Down 
space
space
space
 Exs said
that's not Science's job to break down dummy.

That's garbage America's job to grow up and mature to being able to handle IN REAL TIME.
This is in Europe. Moved there with ur bedwench and be amongst the happy people u want ur grandchildren 2 be.

Ur dad was black right? And ur mom was his bedwench.

And now u got ur bedwench. U do have great faith in the process ur god made for you. Lol

4 days ago '04        #8
space
space
 Stand Down said
This is in Europe. Moved there with ur bedwench and be amongst the happy people u want ur grandchildren 2 be.

Ur dad was black right? And ur mom was his bedwench.

And now u got ur bedwench. U do have great faith in the process ur god made for you. Lol
your garbage breakdown of my genealogical family tree ignores the fact that mixing races and melding the two personalities is exactly how racism will be exterminated over the next 500 years.

meanwhile...

there's a reason why you're an incel.

4 days ago '19        #9
Stand Down 
space
space
space
 Exs said
your garbage breakdown of my genealogical family tree ignores the fact that mixing races and melding the two personalities is exactly how racism will be exterminated over the next 500 years.

meanwhile...

there's a reason why you're an incel.

U wanna boast about a scientific study that looked at the positive influence of a religion.

Would you boast about a scientific study that looked at the negative influence of a religion?
+10   

4 days ago '18        #10
Screwston Born 
space
space
Props total: 4277 4 K  Slaps total: 711 711
This the battle you trying to f*ght? A whitewashed religion being propped up by whitewashed "studies"?

What's funny is, most the indigenous ppl that these "Religious" ppl encountered were trusting and welcoming as well, wonder how that turned out for them?

I'd ask a native American, but they all look like Elizabeth Warren around my way, you know, from mixing races to end racism
+10   

4 days ago '04        #11
space
space
 Stand Down said
U wanna boast about a scientific study that looked at the positive influence of a religion.

Would you boast about a scientific study that looked at the negative influence of a religion?
send it my way.

and i'm not boasting..... I'm giving you a reason why you shouldn't want to k*ll yourself and others because of how garbage you feel about your life

4 days ago '18        #12
Screwston Born 
space
space
Slap away, doesn't change the fact that ur a lame who worships a religion and a culture that committed multiple genocides on their way to world dominance, mostly in the name of their god.

If u think u need a book to tell you how to be one with the creator, ur lost.
+4   

4 days ago '04        #13
space
space
 Screwston Born said
This the battle you trying to f*ght? A whitewashed religion being propped up by whitewashed "studies"?

What's funny is, most the indigenous ppl that these "Religious" ppl encountered were trusting and welcoming as well, wonder how that turned out for them?

I'd ask a native American, but they all look like Elizabeth Warren around my way, you know, from mixing races to end racism
oh you think I married my wife because she was white?

I married my wife because I love her and respected her as a human being.

it's your garbage a*s philosophy and racist world you contribute to that forced my hand once we had a child together to contemplate the reality that I know had a child mixed with various ethnicities that was one day gonna interact with people like you who were ready to put her down on a whim.

So.... respectfully. your way of thinking is kinda the opposite of inevitability... so if you choose to get left behind. that's on you

4 days ago '18        #14
Screwston Born 
space
space
 Exs said
oh you think I married my wife because she was white?

I married my wife because I love her and respected her as a human being.

it's your garbage a*s philosophy and racist world you contribute to that forced my hand once we had a child together to contemplate the reality that I know had a child mixed with various ethnicities that was one day gonna interact with people like you who were ready to put her down on a whim.

So.... respectfully. your way of thinking is kinda the opposite of inevitability... so if you choose to get left behind. that's on you
I didn't speak on ur wife and frankly don't give a fu*k what race she is, I didn't say I believed race mixing shouldn't happen, I was laughing at the fact u think it will end racism when it has been happening for thousands of years.

Shut ur fake spiritual a*s up, u not saying nothing profound, u just ironically sound like a conformist.
+4   

4 days ago '16        #15
Boogie1790 
space
space
Props total: 23795 23 K  Slaps total: 3971 3 K
 Screwston Born said
Slap away, doesn't change the fact that ur a lame who worships a religion and a culture that committed multiple genocides on their way to world dominance, mostly in the name of their god.

If u think u need a book to tell you how to be one with the creator, ur lost.
SMH everybody in this thread lost including you. Stop talking that whitewashed sh*t about how you dont need a book to learn how to live. The Book is about black people but you so focused on some bullsh*t you heard you dont do research.

Look up Axum
Then go look at some street corner Hebrew Israelite videos then come back and tell us if the book was purpose is to keep black folks in bondage.

4 days ago '06        #16
Skateboard T 
space
space
Props total: 48998 48 K  Slaps total: 6624 6 K
It’s helped me be a better person but I know it ain’t for everybody. And I don’t really participate in any organized religion, just follow the general teachings.

Whatever you need to do to bring good in to this world, it ain’t my place to say.
+2   

4 days ago '04        #17
space
space
 Screwston Born said
I didn't speak on ur wife and frankly don't give a fu*k what race she is, I didn't say I believed race mixing shouldn't happen, I was laughing at the fact u think it will end racism when it has been happening for thousands of years.

Shut ur fake spiritual a*s up, u not saying nothing profound, u just ironically sound like a conformist.
telling me to shut my "fake spiritual a*s up" on an online forum is telling me that you think I'm trying to come off spiritually to you here.

I'm just letting you know.

Your way of thinking is dying. Get over it.

The fact that you came in to this thread thinking your opinion mattered is speaking on the problem... you gon find out soon.... if you way of thinking isn't on par with where God is taking this... it's gonna be a real struggle for you.

I'm trying to give you some advice in advance

4 days ago '16        #18
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 40901 40 K  Slaps total: 9251 9 K
Evidence scientists are being paid to endorse christianity/

christianity is a code word for genocide.
+1   

4 days ago '18        #19
Screwston Born 
space
space
 Boogie1790 said
SMH everybody in this thread lost including you. Stop talking that whitewashed sh*t about how you dont need a book to learn how to live. The Book is about black people but you so focused on some bullsh*t you heard you dont do research.

Look up Axum
Then go look at some street corner Hebrew Israelite videos then come back and tell us if the book was purpose is to keep black folks in bondage.
I know the books origins which is why I said white washed, I have no problem with Hebrew Israelites way of preaching what I dislike is when people use white pictures and attribute it to the Western world.

U don't need a book to have knowledge of the most high, the creator is in the spirit.

U can call me what u want but the "scripture" is written in the very essence of our soul. Temptations are meant to pull you away from what are base instincts.
+1   

4 days ago '18        #20
Screwston Born 
space
space
 Exs said
telling me to shut my "fake spiritual a*s up" on an online forum is telling me that you think I'm trying to come off spiritually to you here.

I'm just letting you know.

Your way of thinking is dying. Get over it.

The fact that you came in to this thread thinking your opinion mattered is speaking on the problem... you gon find out soon.... if you way of thinking isn't on par with where God is taking this... it's gonna be a real struggle for you.

I'm trying to give you some advice in advance
No no my friend, ur way of thinking is on the way out, believe that.

4 days ago '04        #21
space
space
 Screwston Born said
No no my friend, ur way of thinking is on the way out, believe that.
see this confronational back and forth online... it doesn't get anything done.

I don't gaf about your opinion because you came in here ready to disagree with some reasearch details... that's your right... but it get's nothing done.

likewise me going into further detail with you won't get anything done.
you're a brick wall of narrow mindedness. clearly evident in your views on racial diversity being a potential GREAT thing in the far future.

so moving on.

4 days ago '04        #22
space
space
 foshoVoodoo said
Evidence scientists are being paid to endorse christianity/

christianity is a code word for genocide.
please elaborate

4 days ago '17        #23
Ymmot 
space
space
space
Props total: 36556 36 K  Slaps total: 6903 6 K
It's 2019 and people still follow organized religion or believe the words of early man written in a book...

People need to stop living in the 15th century.

Just be a decent person and treat other people with respect. Let archaic guidelines be a thing of the past.
+2   

4 days ago '16        #24
Boogie1790 
space
space
Props total: 23795 23 K  Slaps total: 3971 3 K
 Screwston Born said
I know the books origins which is why I said white washed, I have no problem with Hebrew Israelites way of preaching what I dislike is when people use white pictures and attribute it to the Western world.

U don't need a book to have knowledge of the most high, the creator is in the spirit.

U can call me what u want but the "scripture" is written in the very essence of our soul. Temptations are meant to pull you away from what are base instincts.
bet we good disregard my last post. @ do be on some bs

4 days ago '18        #25
Screwston Born 
space
space
 Exs said
see this confronational back and forth online... it doesn't get anything done.

I don't gaf about your opinion because you came in here ready to disagree with some reasearch details... that's your right... but it get's nothing done.

likewise me going into further detail with you won't get anything done.
you're a brick wall of narrow mindedness. clearly evident in your views on racial diversity being a potential GREAT thing in the far future.

so moving on.
Again never once said I was against racial diversity, there is a difference between that and forced r*pe and eugenics.

Keep it moving too.
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+25online now  30
Video inside Abandoned Japanese Billionaire 200,000,000 Mansion w/ Everything Left B..
58 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  20
Whats your top 8 films of 2019 so far?
64 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+46online now  12
Image(s) inside KFC was out here wildn back in the day