Nov 7 - Kamala Harris Family Friendly Schools Act, to keep schools open 3 extra hours

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 week ago '12        #51
OldBusiness 
space
space
Props total: 77000 77 K  Slaps total: 5459 5 K
 DUCEDUCE said
But have you seen his Lexus?

I probably could beat that sh*t in a foot face

1 week ago '04        #52
justinjones 
space
space
Props total: 17637 17 K  Slaps total: 1103 1 K
 SFamilyRep said
Ok cool but is their overall pay going up as well? Cuz with what your saying it seems like their just paying them to work more but not what they’re worth. Especially in Cali, weren’t they protesting just a few weeks ago?

I mean if teachers were asking for a let’s say 30k increase in pay for the hours they’re working now you think they be ok with working an extra 3 hours everyday for let’s say an extra 10-15k??

Can’t see how teachers and school officials go for this. Idk man. My best friend is a 6th grade math teacher and I texted him the article & the n*gga just sent back laughing emojis. Lol......but he’s always been ahead of the curb cuz his pops has been a principal in the same school district since we were children. So his pops who I call my unc been drilling in his head since college, fu*k the teaching sh*t cuz the money ain’t really there. Once you become an administrator(Like a principal), that’s where you really start seeing the real money.

But we’re in CT, but I’m sure it’s like that for a bunch more states
thats an whole different issue onto itself. I’m just saying that they are not forced to be into this program
+1   

1 week ago '18        #53
SFamilyRep 
space
space
Props total: 39695 39 K  Slaps total: 5181 5 K
 P DRILLA said
it would be voluntary and the ones who stayed would be compensated for their time
I get that, but it seems like extortion in a way. Teachers been begging for more money, and been getting curved.....so now they come with a proposal that if you work more you get paid more....you see where I’m getting at fam? These teachers deserve more right now, but won’t get it unless they work more.

1 week ago '18        #54
SFamilyRep 
space
space
 justinjones said
thats an whole different issue onto itself. I’m just saying that they are not forced to be into this program
Ok I get you

1 week ago '16        #55
MadMarlo 
space
space
space
Props total: 7235 7 K  Slaps total: 1174 1 K
I hope some of you weirdos never reproduce.

Cuz its apparent yall n*ggas don't read either.

It you were a regular boy with testosterone, then by the age of 12-13, you were practicing some kinda sport after school anyway

By high school I was in the school building at 6 30 and didnt get home till 7 at night. It is what it is.

My sister goes to work at 7am, so my niece has morning recess at school before it starts
Then after school is over at around 4pm, my niece goes to a program called..................

wait for it..... 'After care ' lol

Lol this literally is happening now

Yall are lost n*ggas
+1   

1 week ago '09        #56
sammcc30 
space
space
Props total: 3118 3 K  Slaps total: 314 314
 Timberwolves said
imagine they add 3 fu*king hours to your school day naw fu*k that
Its not three teaching hours, its basically adding after school care for families that cant afford it.....
+1   

1 week ago '17        #57
Timberwolves  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 14290 14 K  Slaps total: 1862 1 K
 sammcc30 said
Its not three teaching hours, its basically adding after school care for families that cant afford it.....
Ya maybe raise wages so people aren’t working stupid hours that they can barely see their kids or take care of em
+2   

1 week ago '12        #58
OldBusiness 
space
space
 SFamilyRep said
& who also don’t get paid enough as it is
 SFamilyRep said
They ain’t paying teachers enough now & want to add to their workload?
Thats an issue for their state + governor to take up.

When Kemp took over the GA governor job last year the first thing he said was no raises for anyone in education, even though he campaigned on it

They threatened to strike and he gave most of them a $3k a year raise, and a small amount of them got $5k

Teachers do deserve more money. But giving them the option to catch some extra hours can help.

We have to get these kids engaged in education more...the current administration has taken a focus off of educational accomplishments...Betsy Devos once said she didn't see what was wrong with just having a high school diploma. We should be putting a focus on more education, and we should be trying to get these kids into trades-One/two year programs and so on.

While I wouldn't vote for Amy Klobuchar I really like her education plan.

She wants to make certificiates/diplomas/one year/2 year programs all free so we create a 'builder' class of Americans who jump right into trades. And then raise the amount of the award for Pell Grants so minorities can get into school easier...4 year degrees won't be free but you do have the option of refinancing your student loans and you'll qualify for more pell grant help...and right now families making under 50K get the full amount for Pell, she would increase it to 100k.

So shes only making free college an option for tech school, a*sociate degrees, and trade school diplomas-but shes also making it easier to get into school and finish with less debt.

1 week ago '12        #59
OldBusiness 
space
space
 MadMarlo said
I hope some of you weirdos never reproduce.

Cuz its apparent yall n*ggas don't read either.

It you were a regular boy with testosterone, then by the age of 12-13, you were practicing some kinda sport after school anyway

By high school I was in the school building at 6 30 and didnt get home till 7 at night. It is what it is.

My sister goes to work at 7am, so my niece has morning recess at school before it starts
Then after school is over at around 4pm, my niece goes to a program called..................

wait for it..... 'After care ' lol

Lol this literally is happening now

Yall are lost n*ggas
Fam I played football from 6th grade until my senior year, and took boxing + tae kwon do 3 times a week from 8th grade until my 2nd year of college. When I was in high school I was usually getting home around 8-9pm.

We need more education, physical activities, and studying-less Fortnite and Tic Tac Toe or Tik Tok
+4   

1 week ago '18        #60
BernieDaGoat 
space
space
Props total: 8582 8 K  Slaps total: 5118 5 K
Not a bad idea at all.

Most countries in the world do this.

As long as its optional who cares?

Especially since u can use this time for activites like sports/drama arts and crafts or just tutoring.

Less unsupervised free time=less chance to get into trouble.

Not saying kids shouldnt have free time but I think a lot of American kids would do better with less time to sit online and watch pr0n all day.

They can do that when they grown.

Still aint voting for her tho

As far as teachers yeah the pay needs to be more, but that goes without saying... Get rid of the useless administration and actually pay the teachers.

Looked at the school board in my district and mfers are making over 500k.

Money is there but have to use it more wisely.

Last edited by BernieDaGoat; 11-07-2019 at 02:00 PM..
+1   

1 week ago '18        #61
BernieDaGoat 
space
space
Props total: 8582 8 K  Slaps total: 5118 5 K
 OldBusiness said
Fam I played football from 6th grade until my senior year, and took boxing + tae kwon do 3 times a week from 8th grade until my 2nd year of college. When I was in high school I was usually getting home around 8-9pm.

We need more education, physical activities, and studying-less Fortnite and Tic Tac Toe or Tik Tok
Which you minus tic tac toe.

We could always use more tic tac toe.

1 week ago '18        #62
set117  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 2682 2 K  Slaps total: 341 341
This is good for the most part but adding 15 extra hours a week to teachers' schedules....I dont know about that one. They need to raise the pay accordingly then. What's more terrible is that studies have shown that our current educational format is behind...and is less effective the longer the kids are ins school. So I dont know. What a clusterfu*k. If they focused on the workers and economy like other first world countries this wouldnt even be an issue.
+1   

1 week ago '19        #63
thebestoftimes 
space
space
space
Props total: 527 527  Slaps total: 767 767
 FrescoB said
Neither will teachers and administrators who have their own families to attend to..
and neither will the bus drivers, I hope the dems in 2020 lose big time, because they are doing this to themselves.

this is a bad idea.

1 week ago '13        #64
lb99 
space
space
Props total: 2786 2 K  Slaps total: 279 279
They expect kids to stay engaged for 10 hours? Disciplinary incidents will skyrocket.

This ain't good for kids. Its unrealistic to put them through trying to suppress their natural drive to play, explore, discover, talk or move around.

School is already too long. And the American model is unnatural. Kids can't sit still and shut up for 10 hours a day 5 days a week.

But the differences in work and school hours is ridiculous. Work day needs to be shortened. And have government funded extracurricular activities that kids can participate in that ain't structured the same as a boring a*s classroom

1 week ago '10        #65
buzzkill 
space
space
Props total: 2534 2 K  Slaps total: 183 183

this is what extracurricular activities, clubs and sports are for

this would be fine if they

eliminated homework

add more time at lunch and time to socialize

have mandatory classes for tangible skills or spent the extra 3 hours with things like programming IT creative writing, arts, personal finance, etc

edit: Nah fu*k that kids need to go out and be children you only have your youth once fu*k spending a majority of it in a classroom why not clean up the streets, set up more rec leagues and things for them to do after school and make parents have to work less so they can spend time with their kids

Last edited by buzzkill; 11-07-2019 at 02:35 PM..
+2   

1 week ago '19        #66
thebestoftimes 
space
space
space
 Holdino said
Kamala just lost with this one. Get her out the race now so we can focus on Bernie or another candidate besides the perfect call
the dems are corny now, come on amnesty for illegal aliens, I hope 2020 and beyond the dems lose everything and everyone they hold dearly.

1 week ago '19        #67
thebestoftimes 
space
space
space
 lb99 said
They expect kids to stay engaged for 10 hours? Disciplinary incidents will skyrocket.

This ain't good for kids. Its unrealistic to put them through trying to suppress their natural drive to play, explore, discover, talk or move around.

School is already too long. And the American model is unnatural. Kids can't sit still and shut up for 10 hours a day 5 days a week.

But the differences in work and school hours is ridiculous. Work day needs to be shortened. And have government funded extracurricular activities that kids can participate in that ain't structured the same as a boring a*s classroom
and this ain't good for parents either and bad for baby sisters.

1 week ago '18        #68
Sick Flair 
space
space
Props total: 2931 2 K  Slaps total: 235 235
 quarter said
wow..kids won't like this one lol
Neither will the teachers, keeping them as under paid babysitters is not cool.

1 week ago '15        #69
mwtx 
space
space
Props total: 7415 7 K  Slaps total: 1294 1 K
 SFamilyRep said
They ain’t paying teachers enough now & want to add to their workload?
exactly, it’ll just lower the bar for teachers because qualified ppl would probably just do something else then deal with all that stress. Unless they just hire some coach type person or something that takes care of everyone and the teachers get to go home after the normal schedule.
+1   

1 week ago '19        #70
swavesurfer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 437 437  Slaps total: 362 362
 Sin said
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kamala D. Harris (D-CA) on Wednesday introduced the Family Friendly Schools Act, first-of-its-kind legislation to align the school day with the work day to better support working families.

“My mother raised my sister and me while working demanding, long hours,” said Senator Harris. “So, I know firsthand that, for many working parents, juggling between school schedules and work schedules is a common cause of stress and financial hardship. But, this does not have to be the case. My bill provides an innovative solution that will help reduce the burden of child care on working families. It is time we modernize the school schedule to better meet the needs of our students and their families.”

Throughout the United States, current school schedules make life harder for working families. Research shows that schools are shut down for an average of 29 days throughout the school year. With the vast majority of schools closing at or around 3 pm, two hours short of the standard full-time work day, parents are often left in a bind. Additionally, summer breaks present a challenge; in fact, three in four parents report at least some difficulty finding child care during that time period.

The economic cost of this problem is substantial. Schools are closed for two weeks longer than the typical American with paid leave has in paid holidays and vacation. Further, 39 percent of all workers, and 80 percent of low-wage workers, lack access to any paid vacation time. This places a financial burden on parents and caregivers to either pay for additional child care or take leave without pay to care for their child. While the misalignment of school and work schedules affects all families, low-income households often shoulder the greatest burden especially those with unpredictable or inflexible work schedules.

The Family Friendly Schools Act will create a first-of-its-kind pilot program to give schools resources to stay open during the entire work day throughout the school year and to invest over $1 billion in enriching summer learning programs – all without forcing teachers to work longer hours or for less pay.

Specifically, the legislation will:

Award five-year grants of up to $5 million total to school districts to transform elementary schools serving a high number of low-income families into Family Friendly Schools that:
Collaborate with community partners to develop high-quality, culturally relevant, linguistically accessible, developmentally appropriate academic, athletic, or enrichment opportunities for students from at least 8 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday during the school year, with no closures except for Federal holidays, weekends, and emergencies;
Do not close for parent-teacher conferences, professional development, or any other reason without offering full-day enrichment activities free of charge for students;
Do not increase the amount of time teachers and staff have to work unless they choose to work additional hours, and are compensated fairly for the additional hours; and
Develop and implement evidence-based policies and practices for parent and family engagement to support working families and help better align school and work schedules.
Require the Department of Education to publish and disseminate a report on lessons learned from the pilot schools at the end of the five-year grant period, including:
Approaches taken by Family Friendly Schools to align school and work schedules;
Survey results on parent, teacher, student, school administrator, and community organization satisfaction with Family Friendly Schools;
Changes in parental employment rates, student performance, and teacher retention at each Family Friendly School; and
Best practices and recommendations for aligning school and work schedules, aligning school schedules and calendars among schools and school districts, and engaging parents and families.
Authorize an additional $1.3 billion annually for 21st Century Community Learning Centers to allow up to 1.8 million more children to access summer programming.
The Family Friendly Schools Act received support from the following organizations: American Federation of Teachers, Center for American Progress, CLASP, EdNavigator, First Focus, Institute for Educational Leadership, Main Street Alliance, National a*sociation of Counties, National a*sociation of Elementary School Principals, National Summer Learning a*sociation, National Women’s Law Center, and National League of Cities.

“By investing in before, and after school programming, summer enrichment and 21st Century Community Learning Centers, this legislation addresses a chronic and long-neglected problem: too many working parents can’t access affordable care for their kids during the workday,” said Randi Weingarten, President of the American Federation of Teachers. “After a decade of disinvestment in public education, more than half of public elementary schools lack the funding to meet kids and families where they are, and offer care beyond traditional school hours. Roughly one million mothers of elementary school children cut their hours at work because of a lack of affordable child care. This bill would enable school districts and communities to find solutions that work for them, and would make sure teachers and paraprofessionals aren’t filling in the gaps without respect and fair compensation.”

“The misalignment between school and work schedules puts working families through unnecessary financial stress – a burden we know is disproportionately shouldered by Black and Latinx families and families with low incomes,” said Catherine Brown, Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress. “Senator Harris’ proposal would better support families in arranging child care and their work schedules, enabling more parents – largely mothers – to work, advancing educational equity and providing a needed boost to our economy.”

“The Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) is proud to support Senator’s Harris’ Family Friendly Schools Act,” said Olivia Golden, Executive Director at the Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP). “The disconnect between school and work schedules can cause unnecessary hardship for working parents and their children. One in six workers report that their schedules vary based on the needs of their employer— and workers in low-wage jobs are disproportionately represented among those with unpredictable schedules. Given the struggle that many families face when trying to find high-quality, affordable child care, aligning the school day with the work day and expanding resources for afterschool and summer care and learning programs is a positive initial step towards improving job stability, child well-being, and economic security for families across the country. We applaud Senator Harris for introducing this innovative legislation.”

In addition to Harris, the bill is sponsored by U.S. Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), and Michael Bennet (D-CO).

Sounds fishy

1 week ago '14        #71
Sphynx 
space
space
Props total: 55405 55 K  Slaps total: 17961 17 K
You miserable losers can find anything to be internet mad at
+2   

1 week ago '16        #72
kos 
space
space
space
Props total: 42 42  Slaps total: 6 6
how about we shorten the working day to accommodate our schools

humanity first
+5   

1 week ago '18        #73
SFamilyRep 
space
space
 mwtx said
exactly, it’ll just lower the bar for teachers because qualified ppl would probably just do something else then deal with all that stress. Unless they just hire some coach type person or something that takes care of everyone and the teachers get to go home after the normal schedule.
Like I was telling another brother here this sh*t seems like extortion in a roundabout way. Cali won’t pay the teachers more, but will if they work more. Granted it’s optional but if your strapped for money your gonna do it. .......ON TOP of not getting a raise for the amount of work they do now
+1   

1 week ago '17        #74
The Almighty240 
space
space
space
Props total: 3129 3 K  Slaps total: 301 301
 justinjones said
this seems like how the private school I went to when I was in 1st/2nd grade worked. They had an after school program next door to the school that went with you going to the school. School started at 8 but the program opened it doors at like 6 am(it’s closed during school hours) and closed as late as 8 sometimes
Yeah that's basically before and after care. I had the same thing in elementary school in the 90's

1 week ago '19        #75
Bucks414 
space
space
Props total: 6378 6 K  Slaps total: 8365 8 K
 OldBusiness said
This n*gga @ has spent 2 years now talking down to people, calling them names, and acting an a*s while touting this supposed super math degree he had already obtained.

A week or two ago he randomly stuck his foot in his mouth when he admitted he won't be actually getting the degree until the Spring

n*gga been lying about having a college degree since he was a sophomore.

FOR NO REASON

You’re terrible at math shut up bozo

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+34online now  38
Image(s) inside Are You Catching a Murder Case Over This?
100 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-40online now  28
Image(s) inside #metoo
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+27online now  22
Image(s) inside WTF: Every RAPPER In The GAME BOOKING PRICES LEAKED! & U WON'T BELIEVE..
173 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+50online now  12
Image(s) inside Can this brand make a comeback?
167 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy