Do you tip Uber/Lyft drivers?

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

2 weeks ago '18        #1
2379 page views
78 comments

Kodack sixnine  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
space
space
space
Props total: 28383 28 K  Slaps total: 7281 7 K
Do you tip Uber/Lyft drivers?

Cliffs: Yes. Even goes into how you’re also supposed to tip cab drivers, and one of the main reasons cab drivers discriminate is due to the false belief that certain groups won’t tip them.
+7   

best
worst
78 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
Dickhead 
space
space
space
Props total: 4585 4 K  Slaps total: 1637 1 K
 Kodack sixnine said

Cliffs: Yes. Even goes into how you’re also supposed to tip cab drivers, and one of the main reasons cab drivers discriminate is due to the false belief that certain groups won’t tip them.
Im not sure its totally false but hear me out first.

The best tips come from people who either work in a tipping industry or have an immediate family member in a tipping industry. The vast majority of workers in tipping industries are in food service, and you dont really see a ton of black waiters. I grew up in Chicago, the biggest ethnicity there is black, and I never really saw a lot of black waiters. My main bar was a majority black clientele; none of the waitresses and only one bar staff member was black. So if there are less black people who have someone close to them living off tips, they are less likely to leave those 20-25% tips.

Also totally anecdotal but my girl is black and we argue over tips all the time. My sister is a bartender, Im tipping 20% plus unless the service is trash, and even then probably 10-15%. Drives her (my girl) crazy. If the service is outright rude then Ill leave like a nickel. But before my sister worked in food service 15% was my norm.

Last edited by Dickhead; 11-07-2019 at 10:19 AM..
+13   

2 weeks ago '12        #3
FrescoB  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 41187 41 K  Slaps total: 7272 7 K
The more you tip your Lyft drivers the more discounts you get
+8   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
dasill 
space
space
Props total: 9105 9 K  Slaps total: 2387 2 K
Rich people tip the least
Gay people tip the most
+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #5
space
space
Props total: 22551 22 K  Slaps total: 2830 2 K
If you show some intelligence and use an alternative route to get me to the airport quicker, then yes. I do.

If I'm sat languishing in traffic because you don't check traffic alerts then no.
+7   

2 weeks ago '18        #6
Kodack sixnine  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12 OP
space
space
space
Props total: 28383 28 K  Slaps total: 7281 7 K
 dasill said
Rich people tip the least
Gay people tip the most
I feel like rich people tip a lot, especially famous people.
+5   

2 weeks ago '15        #7
Hiphop2day 
space
space
Props total: 1922 1 K  Slaps total: 286 286
I’m in sales and I treat tip industry the same way.. just cuz you choose a job that is dependent on other ppl making decisions on your behalf for you to make more money does not obligate anyone to pay more. But if you are exceptional then you deserve more just like if I do a great job I get a sale.
+20   

2 weeks ago '05        #8
Micheal C. Will 
space
space
Props total: 40361 40 K  Slaps total: 6000 6 K
Yea, sometimes it depends.

If I get to my destination quickly with minimal convo, you get a tip.
+11   

2 weeks ago '13        #9
wrecklessvlee 
space
space
space
Props total: 466 466  Slaps total: 97 97
Listen tipping someone should be a normal thing you do. I was out of town somewhere and I tip the driver cash he ended up picking me up at 430 in the morning even gave me a wake up call you pay for what you get. Also I go to bars and some don't even charge me a dime because I tip the sh*t out of them. Word to the wise
+13   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
DNA 
space
space
space
Props total: 97 97  Slaps total: 22 22
Yup

2 weeks ago '17        #11
SupremeBeing5 
space
space
Props total: 7126 7 K  Slaps total: 2166 2 K
Nobody tips on Uber.

Only hardworking Hispanics and older people tip.

WHITE PEOPLE DO NOT TIP!

Black people tip more.

In this order

Hispanic
Black
White

Asians and Indians don’t tip!

2 weeks ago '08        #12
Kewop Decam 
space
space
space
Props total: 20117 20 K  Slaps total: 1790 1 K
I tip but I find it dumb. I’m subsidizing a multi billion dollar company because they can’t pay their workers right? Why? How is that my fault?
+23   

2 weeks ago '06        #13
TreZ 
space
space
Props total: 4523 4 K  Slaps total: 1304 1 K
Rich people tip the least...

Poor people tip the most...

its crazy and true.. fu*king rich people are selfish pricks!!!
+5   

2 weeks ago '11        #14
Silencer 
space
space
Props total: 8228 8 K  Slaps total: 438 438
I always tip unless they say some dumb sh*t. Sometimes i tip out of pocket if im carrying cash.

I tip the whole 5 on short trips or whatever it is
+5   

2 weeks ago '07        #15
killacar 
space
space
Props total: 10698 10 K  Slaps total: 735 735
Nope, I'm already paying them directly.....unlike a waiter who doesn't get paid directly from me.......now if the service is exceptional I'll consider, but ain't no guarantee
+2   

2 weeks ago '09        #16
BrooklynStiles 
space
space
Props total: 21709 21 K  Slaps total: 6798 6 K
If you’re gonna tip, use cash. They get taxed on the “on-app” tips.
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #17
RETURNOFTHEKING 
space
space
Props total: 12221 12 K  Slaps total: 3152 3 K
I have never tipped an Uber or lyft driver

2 weeks ago '15        #18
Johnny Cinco 
space
space
space
Props total: 10697 10 K  Slaps total: 3072 3 K
Man business owners are so fu*king smart

because the margins are slim in the food industry they conned the customers into a tipping system

they found a way to give low wages and rest the pressure of paying for a waiters salary on the customer

that also promotes superb service from the waiter and lowers expenses from the business owner

and people fell for this sh*t lmaooo
+19   

2 weeks ago '04        #19
collegeboy58 
space
space
Props total: 7946 7 K  Slaps total: 473 473

Interesting excerpt from an article on the history of tipping.

In the earliest days of the practice, its spread was linked to the racial oppression of the post-Civil War Reconstruction period.

The idea of giving someone money for their work isn’t one that really needs an origin story, but modern American tipping — the practice of the customer giving a gratuity on top of the money that the employee gets from his or her employer — does have a beginning. (As for the word itself, many are familiar with the tale that “To Insure Promptness” was a phrase written on dishes for coins at shops, thus creating the acronym of “tip,” but that’s just a myth.) Some accounts credit European travelers with bringing the custom to the U.S.; others credit American travelers with bringing tipping back from Europe. The truth? Wealthy Americans in the 1850s and 1860s discovered the tradition, which had originated in medieval times as a master-serf custom wherein a servant would receive extra money for having performed superbly well, on vacations in Europe. Wanting to seem aristocratic, these individuals began tipping in the United States upon their return.

At first, most diners were largely against it, deeming it both inherently condescending and classist. How could poor Americans be expected to pay for their food, and add a “tip” on top? In fact, there was so much anti-tipping traction that, in the 1860s, the attitude spread to Europe. That’s one reason why there is no tipping expected at most European restaurants today, according to Saru Jayaraman, co-founder and president of Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United) and the director of the Food Labor Research Center at University of California, Berkeley, who advocates for the equalization of wages for tipped and non-tipped workers.

But in the States, that movement was squashed, and we went to the exact opposite direction,” Jayaraman tells TIME, “because of slavery.”

After the Constitution was amended in the wake of the Civil War, slavery was ended as an institution but those who were freed from bondage were still limited in their choices. Many who did not end up sharecropping worked in menial positions, such as servants, waiters, barbers and railroad porters. These were pretty much the only occupations available to them. For restaurant workers and railroad porters, there was a catch: many employers would not actually pay these workers, under the condition that guests would offer a small tip instead.

“These industries demanded the right to basically continue slavery with a $0 wage and tip,” Jayaraman says.

Despite tipping’s growing prominence, many remained unhappy about the custom in the years following Reconstruction. Six states temporarily abolished the practice in 1915. In 1918, Georgia’s legislature deemed tips as “commercial bribes,” or tips for the purpose of influencing service, illegal. Iowa’s initial 1915 decision said that those who accepted a gratuity of any kind — not those who gave the money themselves — could be fined or imprisoned.

Even with that pushback, the practice grew in popularity in many Southern states. By 1926, all of these laws had been repealed or deemed unconstitutional by the respective state’s Supreme Court, according to Kerry Segrave’s Tipping: An American Social History of Gratitudes.

Restaurateurs soon realized that they stood to benefit from the opportunity to subsidize a worker’s pay with guests’ extra money, says Douglass Miller, a lecturer at the Hotel School of the SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University. So, even as the racial dynamics of the United States evolved, the practice spread throughout the country — including in the North — and stuck.

How tipping works today is pretty much the way it has since a New Deal-era solidification of the federal minimum wage for tipped workers, Jayaraman explains. Beginning with 1938 legislation, employers were only required to pay tipped workers a wage that would add up to the federal minimum wage when combined with tips. Further legislation was passed in the 1970s to offer fairer wages for restaurant workers. Today, the federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13. (The main federal minimum wage is $7.25.)

Only seven states mandate that all workers, regardless of tips, must be paid the “full state minimum wage before tips,” according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

“It’s the legacy of slavery that turned the tip in the United States from a bonus or extra on top of a wage,” Jayaraman argues, “to a wage itself.”
+2   

2 weeks ago '13        #20
lb99 
space
space
Props total: 2786 2 K  Slaps total: 279 279
 Kodack sixnine said

Cliffs: Yes. Even goes into how youíre also supposed to tip cab drivers, and one of the main reasons cab drivers discriminate is due to the false belief that certain groups wonít tip them.
It ain't totally false. 98% of n*ggas don't tip or don't tip well
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #21
deadlift 
space
space
Props total: 12763 12 K  Slaps total: 2138 2 K
If I have cash on me, yeah. They rather have cash then the tips through the app
+2   

2 weeks ago '13        #22
lb99 
space
space
Props total: 2786 2 K  Slaps total: 279 279
 killacar said
Nope, I'm already paying them directly.....unlike a waiter who doesn't get paid directly from me.......now if the service is exceptional I'll consider, but ain't no guarantee
You don't pay them directly. You pay uber or Lyft then they pay the driver after taking their cut ( sometimes up to like 54% of the fare,) off top
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #23
Blaffy 
space
space
Props total: 60834 60 K  Slaps total: 5005 5 K
I did before a couple times, I have not used Uber since June or July.
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #24
016z 
space
space
space
Props total: 735 735  Slaps total: 132 132
 lb99 said
You don't pay them directly. You pay uber or Lyft then they pay the driver after taking their cut ( sometimes up to like 54% of the fare,) off top
Thatís why driving for these companies is a rip off, and if anyone feels they deserve tip for giving me a paid ride is tripping. Itís just a ride, not a chauffeur

2 weeks ago '05        #25
freshtoodef 
space
space
Props total: 7234 7 K  Slaps total: 395 395
If u order takeout from a restaurant (Friday’s, Applebee’s ) do y’all still tip when u pick it up urself?
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  20
2019 Black Friday deals?
73 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+18online now  18
Nov 18 - South Korea Ditches The US, Signs Defense Agreement With China
70 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Christian Bale; Christopher Nolan declined to develop a sequel to 'The Dark Kn..
42 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+27online now  9
Video inside Nov 19 - LIVE 9am Official PEACH MINT Extortion Hearings DAY 3 (William..
975 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy