SHAFT Reviews Are Out, 37% Rotten Tomatoes Score

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
44 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

Rate It
5 stars 6 33.33%
4 stars 5 27.78%
3 stars 2 11.11%
2 stars 1 5.56%
1 star 0 0%
0 stars 4 22.22%
Voters: 18.   (BX member poll)

5 months ago '04        #26
skillahmang 
space
space
Props total: 26544 26 K  Slaps total: 6226 6 K
3.5 stars. Decent, exceeded my expectations.

Cucks and Feminists prob hated the tone. Swear these dudes ruining Human Existence.
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  5 months ago '10        #27
Bandito 
space
space
space
Props total: 32274 32 K  Slaps total: 4472 4 K
I got the original Shaft (1971) in my top 10.

The first one with SLJ was decent and didn't do a disservice to the original.

I will wait to hold my judgement on this one. But, the "Shaft" character was alway a representation of pure masculinity and the newest member of the family looking kind of weak. I am sure he grows into the character through the movie. But, none of the others had to. They were already "the man."

If the film can make me believe he is the new "Shaft" by the end of the movie, they did a good job. I just don't know why they would introduce that struggle 5 movies (and a TV series) deep into a franchise.
+1   

5 months ago '12        #28
Bravo Golf 
space
space
space
Props total: 7442 7 K  Slaps total: 573 573
 Blkboipurp said
The son can't act
Exactly why I have no interest in watching it. I didn't like that Survivor's Remorse show either mostly because of him. He just doesn't come off convincingly in these roles that require masculine personas.
+6   

5 months ago '12        #29
Bravo Golf 
space
space
space
RogerEbert.com, the website of the deceased famed film critic Roger Ebert, gave it a 0.5/4. That's quite possibly the lowest score I've ever seen that site give a movie.

For those of who you don't know, Roger Ebert was married to a black woman when he was living, and he often reviewed black films favorably when most mainstream critics didn't.

Sometimes, racism isn't the reason for low review scores. Sometimes a movie just flat out sucks. If you peep Sam Jackson's most recent Breakfast Club interview, he didn't sound all that enthused for the movie either. He probably just took on the project to have something to do.

Regardless of racism's ever-existent presence in our lives, we still should strive for a certain standard. One thing I will always praise older generations for is that they had standards, and adhered to them, despite experiencing way more racism than any of us can ever claim to have experienced.

Lower the excuses, and raise the standards.

Last edited by Bravo Golf; 06-15-2019 at 09:32 AM..
+2   

5 months ago '14        #30
Los Pollos 
space
space
Props total: 11376 11 K  Slaps total: 6980 6 K
 Kingme said
Are you white?

What are your top 10 Black movies/ movies where the majority of the star roles are played by Black actors?
No, I’m not. I’m Cuban.

And I’ve never once had to come up with a top 10 list of black movies

But this dude told me before that I must not like sh*tty movies like Belly, which I enjoyed as a kid but is still a terrible movie, because I don’t understand them. That was the point of my post. It’s clearly his go to if you say any black movie he likes isn’t good. Sorry, but that’s some bullsh*t.

@ here’s some context for you too since you slapped
+3   

5 months ago '04        #31
skillahmang 
space
space
 Los Pollos said
No, I’m not. I’m Cuban.

And I’ve never once had to come up with a top 10 list of black movies

But this dude told me before that I must not like sh*tty movies like Belly, which I enjoyed as a kid but is still a terrible movie, because I don’t understand them. That was the point of my post. It’s clearly his go to if you say any black movie he likes isn’t good. Sorry, but that’s some bullsh*t.

@ here’s some context for you too since you slapped
Many “Black” films are trash.

Still not taking back my slap for your post.

5 months ago '14        #32
Los Pollos 
space
space
 skillahmang said
Many “Black” films are trash.

Still not taking back my slap for your post.
That wasn’t my goal

For the record, I haven’t seen the new Shaft, so it had nothing to do with that movie in particular. I just thought it was funny because that seems to be dudes go to if you disagree with him about any black movie and you’re not black.
+3   

5 months ago '04        #33
skillahmang 
space
space
 Los Pollos said
That wasn’t my goal

For the record, I haven’t seen the new Shaft, so it had nothing to do with that movie in particular. I just thought it was funny because that seems to be dudes go to if you disagree with him about any black movie and you’re not black.
From my end. Looked like you were a*suming and generalizing.

I dont keep up w that dudes comments.

5 months ago '14        #34
Los Pollos 
space
space
 skillahmang said
From my end. Looked like you were a*suming and generalizing.

I dont keep up w that dudes comments.
Which is why I wanted to give you the context.
+2   

5 months ago '16        #35
DrunkenObserver  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 17317 17 K  Slaps total: 6588 6 K
 O1as said
Yup. That part. If they keep the same energy they had from the 2001 Shaft with the hate crime/ corrupt system and street alligators like Peoples etc. We good. Hood classics always get replay these Mayo jars can't relate.
@ extreme hate speech

5 months ago '06        #36
DonYBE 
space
space
Props total: 8130 8 K  Slaps total: 861 861
 Optimus Crime said
Tough career for Alexandra Shipp
Fixed

Drumline: A New Beat
Lifetime Aaliyah movie
X-Men Apocalypse
Dark Phoenix
Shaft 2019

She needs to fire her agent

+5   

5 months ago '15        #37
Good Guy Ry 
space
space
Props total: 37442 37 K  Slaps total: 3310 3 K
 DonYBE said
Fixed

Drumline: A New Beat
Lifetime Aaliyah movie
X-Men Apocalypse
Dark Phoenix
Shaft 2019

She needs to fire her agent

Don't forget Alvin and the Chipmunks:The Squeakquel

Agent doing the best he can, I don't know the chick but that resume showing she's probably a trash actress.
+1   

5 months ago '15        #38
Lito Guapalot 
space
space
Props total: 17127 17 K  Slaps total: 258 258
 Bravo Golf said
Exactly why I have no interest in watching it. I didn't like that Survivor's Remorse show either mostly because of him. He just doesn't come off convincingly in these roles that require masculine personas.
Dude who played his cousin & manager was way better in that show
+2   

5 months ago '15        #39
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 6557 6 K  Slaps total: 1016 1 K
Wasn’t as heavy or good as the first but fu*k it was fun and the sons love interest was adorable and fu*k Regina King is fine like wine i would do her like shawn wayns in scary movie

+2   

5 months ago '16        #40
Givenchyx 
space
space
Props total: 12678 12 K  Slaps total: 916 916
The movie was ok I guess had a few funny moments but nothing like the Shaft from 2000 with peoples in it ...

They show this scene in the new shaft try to make it seem like it was in 2012 lol foh I was there when they was filming shaft back in late 1999 they shot those scenes in Uptown Manhattan by Dyckman Street on my old hood Ellwood , Samuel L Jackson fu*ked up his ankle chasing that mother fu*ker lol

+1   

5 months ago '04        #41
SokeSleezy 
space
space
Props total: 594 594  Slaps total: 97 97
Movie was decent. Good enough to keep my attention throughout the whole thing without me checking my phone so I'll give it that. The son is the weak link in the clique but they didn't go make Samuel a big softy cuz he's got a kid so that was good. Better than fu*king X-Men that's for sure lol

5 months ago '04        #42
Young Fab 
space
space
Props total: 23432 23 K  Slaps total: 8132 8 K
 CALL AGAIN said
Wasn’t as heavy or good as the first but fu*k it was fun and the sons love interest was adorable and fu*k Regina King is fine like wine i would do her like shawn wayns in scary movie

*Regina Hall
+4   

5 months ago '15        #43
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 6557 6 K  Slaps total: 1016 1 K
 Young Fab said
*Regina Hall
Well sh*t i would take Regina king too even if she was doing rileys voice i had a thing for her since poetic justice.

5 months ago '10        #44
quan3106 
space
space
Props total: 32298 32 K  Slaps total: 3708 3 K
 Bravo Golf said
RogerEbert.com, the website of the deceased famed film critic Roger Ebert, gave it a 0.5/4. That's quite possibly the lowest score I've ever seen that site give a movie.

For those of who you don't know, Roger Ebert was married to a black woman when he was living, and he often reviewed black films favorably when most mainstream critics didn't.

Sometimes, racism isn't the reason for low review scores. Sometimes a movie just flat out sucks. If you peep Sam Jackson's most recent Breakfast Club interview, he didn't sound all that enthused for the movie either. He probably just took on the project to have something to do.

Regardless of racism's ever-existent presence in our lives, we still should strive for a certain standard. One thing I will always praise older generations for is that they had standards, and adhered to them, despite experiencing way more racism than any of us can ever claim to have experienced.

Lower the excuses, and raise the standards.
Roger Ebert is dead...that review ain’t him cuh..u typed all that for nothing
+3   

5 months ago '05        #45
kriskross00 
space
space
Props total: 55091 55 K  Slaps total: 6876 6 K
 904Nole said
The people writing the reviews probably didn't get half the jokes because the jokes dont pretain to them..
So why would they watch a movie with jokes that dont pertain to them?

5 months ago '16        #46
ruddiger 
space
space
Props total: 1878 1 K  Slaps total: 258 258
Hope it's at least better than last year's Superfly. That movie was a huge letdown.

5 months ago '12        #47
Bravo Golf 
space
space
space
 quan3106 said
Roger Ebert is dead...that review ain’t him cuh..u typed all that for nothing
He hand-picked the reviewers on his site before his death, outlining his criteria for reviewing movies so that the reviews from the site would remain consistent after his death.

So while it isn't Roger Ebert himself reviewing films, the critics' opinions and scoring criteria are inline with what Ebert would have given any particular film.

Otherwise, why keep the website up?

5 months ago '06        #48
dj_60_2000 
space
space
Props total: 993 993  Slaps total: 52 52
 904Nole said
The people writing the reviews probably didn't get half the jokes because the jokes dont pretain to them..
F*** a Rotten Tomatoes. Movie was hilarious 😆 . The movie did what it was supposed to do.

5 months ago '07        #49
Pistol Peter 
space
space
Props total: 6203 6 K  Slaps total: 422 422
the made samuel l jackson seem goofy in the commercial...the one from 2000 he was never like that
+1   

5 months ago '16        #50
Cedwards198451 
space
space
Props total: 5929 5 K  Slaps total: 2513 2 K
Making a Shaft movie in 2019
+4   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+90online now  37
Max Kellerman got Stephen A. On hush mode about Kaep now
127 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  20
Image(s) inside Elizabeth Banks Faces Backlash for Saying Wonder Woman & Captain Marve..
51 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  17
Image(s) inside The Sonic redesign cost Paramount less than $5M, bringing the films bu..
61 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+26online now  6
Method Man just fu-kING SNAPPED on this new song with Havoc
25 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy