First Trailer & Poster For The Shining Sequel DOCTOR SLEEP Starring Ewan McGregor

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

5 months ago '06        #1
2177 page views
22 comments

SM 
space
space
Props total: 136883 136 K  Slaps total: 28126 28 K
First Trailer & Poster For The Shining Sequel DOCTOR SLEEP Starring Ewan McGregor

Last edited by SM; 06-13-2019 at 11:08 AM..
+8   

best
worst
22 comments

5 months ago '06        #2
SM  OP
space
space
+1   

5 months ago '04        #3
Jae_Hood_354 
space
space
Props total: 7278 7 K  Slaps total: 799 799
I’m down to peep it looks interesting

5 months ago '04        #4
Exs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 45847 45 K  Slaps total: 11159 11 K
Mike Flanagan has a damn near flawless horror track record so this could be something special.

5 months ago '06        #5
SM  OP
space
space
 Jae_Hood_354 said
Im down to peep it looks interesting

5 months ago '06        #6
SM  OP
space
space

+2   

5 months ago '06        #7
SM  OP
space
space

It is an adaptation of the novel ‘Doctor Sleep’, which is Stephen King’s sequel to his novel ‘The Shining,’” said Flanagan (via Bloody disgusting). “But this also exists very much in the same cinematic universe that Kubrick established in his adaptation of ‘The Shining’ and reconciling those three, at times very different sources has been kind of the most challenging and thrilling part of this creatively, for us.”

As mentioned, King and Kubrick never saw eye-to-eye about “The Shining.” As you might expect, the author is a big fan of his original book, while Kubrick is a filmmaker, first and foremost, and changed quite a bit of the source material to better suit his vision of the film. So, bridging that gap between King and Kubrick required some finesse on the part of Flanagan, who had to have multiple meetings with the author to get his approval.

“We had to go to King and explain how, and some of that amounts to very practical questions about certain characters who are alive in the novel, ‘The Shining,’ who are not alive by the end of the film,” Flanagan said. “How do I deal with that? And in particular how to get into the vision of the Overlook that Kubrick had created.”

READ MORE: Stephen King Says Stanley Kubrick’s ‘The Shining’ Is “Like A Big, Beautiful Cadillac With No Engine Inside It”

He continued, “And our pitches to Stephen went over surprisingly well, and we came out of the conversation with not only his blessing to do what we ended up doing, but his encouragement.”

As for how much of the Kubrick film is used in “Doctor Sleep,” Flanagan thinks fans will be very surprised by the answer. In the trailer alone, which features plenty of ‘Shining’ imagery, only the elevator scene was pulled from the original film.

“There’s only one shot in the trailer you saw that’s actually his footage, and that’s the shot of the bloody elevators,” said the filmmaker. “Everything else is us. Everything else is our recreation.”

Flanagan says that he and his crew spent immense amounts of time to be as faithful to the vision that Kubrick put forth in “The Shining,” even going so far as to get the deceased filmmaker’s estate to agree to pass along original designs.

READ MORE: Every Stephen King Movie Adaptation From Worst To Best

The “Doctor Sleep” director says the film’s “intention was always to detail and reverence, and making sure that we were doing it properly, with the hope that even the most rabid cinephiles might not be able to tell the difference with some of our frames and some of his.”

Other than including various homages to the classic horror film from decades ago, Flanagan says that he also learned a valuable lesson from Kubrick’s “The Shining.” He says that “Doctor Sleep” will be the rare modern-day horror film that includes no jump scares, as the Kubrick original was able to haunt people without the cheap formula that is being used to death by now.

Even if you’re not super excited about “Doctor Sleep,” there is likely going to be plenty of film fans that watch it just to figure out every mention, Easter Egg, and homage to the Kubrick film. And that will likely fuel plenty of debate. Should be fun!

5 months ago '18        #8
Blaffy 
space
space
Props total: 60923 60 K  Slaps total: 5010 5 K

[spoiler - click to view]

5 months ago '16        #9
mobchip 
space
space
Props total: 6639 6 K  Slaps total: 1048 1 K
I bought the book at launch years ago. I wish I could get it signed.

3 months ago '06        #10
SM  OP
space
space

+1   

3 months ago '08        #11
thisguymush 
space
space
space
Props total: 892 892  Slaps total: 346 346
Hmm this seem like it could be something to watch. I didn't enjoy and still enjoy the original Shinning.

3 months ago '04        #12
ATLDOPEBOI30 
space
space
Props total: 11938 11 K  Slaps total: 1716 1 K
Holy sh*t didnt know this was coming out, love all king movies

3 months ago '12        #13
Thworldisyours 
space
space
Props total: 28938 28 K  Slaps total: 1503 1 K
Just tired of sequels rehashing the same old sh*t...

I mean goddamn, they're even copying certain shots from Kubrick's film.

I'm also getting sh*tty X-Men vibes from this.
+1   

3 months ago '04        #14
Burym3ag 
space
space
Props total: 1315 1 K  Slaps total: 111 111
 Thworldisyours said
Just tired of sequels rehashing the same old sh*t...

I mean goddamn, they're even copying certain shots from Kubrick's film.

I'm also getting sh*tty X-Men vibes from this.
New movie based on the book Doctor Sleep which is the sequel to the shining. Obviously they will copy some shots to connect the two films.

3 months ago '12        #15
Thworldisyours 
space
space
Props total: 28938 28 K  Slaps total: 1503 1 K
 Burym3ag said
New movie based on the book Doctor Sleep which is the sequel to the shining. Obviously they will copy some shots to connect the two films.
You dont need to copy shots of the original to do a sequel.

Mind you, this movie could be good. Ewan McGregor's a good actor and the trailer is well done.

But there's too many callbacks to the original.

The music, the cinematography, he actually goes back to the Overlook Hotel and goes to the door that Jack destroys with an axe...

I've seen too many sh*tty sequels/reboots to get exciting for something like this.

Just fu*kin do something original.
+1   

3 months ago '06        #16
SM  OP
space
space

2 months ago '04        #17
born wisdom 
space
space
Props total: 2040 2 K  Slaps total: 332 332
 Thworldisyours said

Mind you, this movie could be good. Ewan McGregor's a good actor and the trailer is well done.

The music, the cinematography, he actually goes back to the Overlook Hotel and goes to the door that Jack destroys with an axe...

I've seen too many sh*tty sequels/reboots to get exciting for something like this.

The Overlook Hotel play a major role in the storyline. They kinda have to have callbacks to the original.
+1   

2 months ago '16        #18
nigs 
space
space
space
Props total: 5273 5 K  Slaps total: 271 271
somethin alot of people havent relised is stephen kings book universe is pretty much all connected,he said it in a few interviews, the tower series is apart of explainging how it got to derry, also he confirmed that the main villain in the dark tower is apart of "it's" race
+1   

2 months ago '04        #19
erickonasis 
space
space
Props total: 42272 42 K  Slaps total: 5300 5 K

2 months ago '06        #20
SM  OP
space
space

2 months ago '04        #21
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 10305 10 K  Slaps total: 1853 1 K
 Thworldisyours said

In any real sequel reference points to the original film are necessary... no way around that.

If u look back at other epic films where a sequel or trilogy is made and they stray far from the source material... or just change it up completely... they are all sh*tty movies or just box office flops....

Case in point...

Halloween 2
Nightmare on elm street 2
Superman 3
Basic instinct 2
Terminator 3 and 5
Grease 2
SPEED 2
MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
Blaire Witch Book of Shadows
Son of the Mask

The list goes on and on..all sh*tty movies that drifted from the original source material and were wack because of it..

1 month ago '06        #22
SM  OP
space
space

2 weeks ago '06        #23
SM  OP
space
space
Made new threead

Last edited by SM; 11-08-2019 at 05:15 PM..

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+90online now  29
Max Kellerman got Stephen A. On hush mode about Kaep now
130 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  20
Image(s) inside The Sonic redesign cost Paramount less than $5M, bringing the films bu..
67 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  19
Image(s) inside Elizabeth Banks Faces Backlash for Saying Wonder Woman & Captain Marve..
52 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+183online now  7
Image(s) inside Kanye Got Kim K out here in Steve Harvey Suits.......
85 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy