Nov 7 - NYC To Offer Mets Tickets, Doughnut Gift Cards To Get Freed Inmates Back In Court

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 week ago '05        #1
623 page views
18 comments

bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 4434 4 K  Slaps total: 1759 1 K
Nov 7 - NYC To Offer Mets Tickets, Doughnut Gift Cards To Get Freed Inmates Back In Court

NYC To Offer Mets Tickets, Doughnut Gift Cards To Get Freed Inmates Back In Court

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There’s controversy ahead over new criminal justice reforms.

Cash bail will be eliminated Jan. 1 for hundreds of offenses, and some defendants could be let out earlier and given rewards to get them to show up to court, CBS2’s Lisa Rozner reported Monday.

State judges will no longer require cash bail for most misdemeanors and non-violent felonies like selling drugs or burglarizing a home, and the state says nearly 900 city residents in jail now will be released starting mid-December.

Bail bondsman Ira Judelson said he’s already seeing fewer arrests.

“We’re going to have a major public safety issue on our hands,” he said. “It’s basically like going to school without a principal, without guidance counselors, without teachers and let students be in school and say ‘fend for yourself.'”

Republican a*semblyman Mike LiPetri said he expects around 500 inmates on Long Island to be freed.

“This is a travesty of justice,” said LiPetri. “These are criminals in our communities who have solicited s*x from children. These are criminals who solicited drugs in our neighborhoods such as heroin, opioids, fentanyl.”

A law enforcement source told CBS2 a city program will offer those released incentives meant to encourage them to show up in court such as Mets baseball tickets, a subway pass or a Dunkin’ Donuts gift card.

A spokesperson for Gov. Andrew Cuomo told CBS2 he expects the reforms to be implemented appropriately, however the governor’s office doesn’t have any involvement with the city’s rewards program.

The Legal Aid Society which provides government-funded attorneys for defendants is filing motions for eligible clients immediately so they can be released as soon as possible.

“We’re talking about people who’ve been presumed innocent. We are talking about people who there’s no public safety risk or a*sessment or threat,” said the group’s Marie Ndiaye. “At the end of the day, it comes down to how much money does this person have in their wallet.”

Opponents like Judelson are asking the governor to take another look at the offenses covered by the legislation and reconsider before the new year.

The office of Mayor Bill de Blasio told CBS2 safety was his top priority. With regards to offering gifts to those released, substantial research shows offering defendants incentives, instead of sanctions, encourages good behavior.

visit this link https://newyork.cbslocal. .. w8J2j73QMg10Gk
+2   

best
worst
18 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '19        #2
Stand Down 
space
space
space
Props total: 6341 6 K  Slaps total: 8328 8 K
Both sides have very valid points.

When people get a warrant for skipping the court date would they have 2 bond out for that if the police ever bother 2 catch up with them?
+1   

1 week ago '11        #3
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 111520 111 K  Slaps total: 15746 15 K
That sounds dumb as hell to have to give gifts to grown adults to entice them to court

You either show up or get arrested and sent to jail with no bail option
+5   

1 week ago '08        #4
cohs 
space
space
space
Props total: 18348 18 K  Slaps total: 1187 1 K
Soliciting s*x from kids would be in the violent category personally.

1 week ago '15        #5
Piff Blunts xx 
space
space
Props total: 1609 1 K  Slaps total: 592 592
NYC about to be a safe haven for crime. They closing down Rikers, how many you think are just gonna get released? The police here have so many petty arrests and wonder why criminals are going home. Focus on the real crimes and not petty sh*t that gets thrown out. NYC cops have to be the laziest group of law enforcement I’ve ever seen, not to mention how many new officers are being thrown into the fire on a daily basis. The fine officers and first responders who saved thousands of lives on 9/11 just don’t exist anymore. So far I know about 5 people who became officers and all except 1 was a complete nobody and all except one I actually have respect for. The DA office is finally getting tired of these officers doing sh*t police work which is why so many people are being released, yet no one is still holding the NYPD accountable. I hate Bill De Blasio but his stance on policing in this city is 100% and when cops don’t get what they want they do sh*tty police work. Do not take an oath to serve and protect communities and throw bi*ch fits when you can’t brutalize the very people you’re sworn to protect.
+10   

1 week ago '19        #6
bxgangmember 
space
space
space
Props total: 825 825  Slaps total: 638 638
 Sin said
That sounds dumb as hell to have to give gifts to grown adults to entice them to court

You either show up or get arrested and sent to jail with no bail option
n*gga go choke on a d*ck

1 week ago '08        #7
606robin 
space
space
Props total: 8432 8 K  Slaps total: 683 683
 Piff Blunts xx said
NYC about to be a safe haven for crime. They closing down Rikers, how many you think are just gonna get released? The police here have so many petty arrests and wonder why criminals are going home. Focus on the real crimes and not petty sh*t that gets thrown out. NYC cops have to be the laziest group of law enforcement I’ve ever seen, not to mention how many new officers are being thrown into the fire on a daily basis. The fine officers and first responders who saved thousands of lives on 9/11 just don’t exist anymore. So far I know about 5 people who became officers and all except 1 was a complete nobody and all except one I actually have respect for. The DA office is finally getting tired of these officers doing sh*t police work which is why so many people are being released, yet no one is still holding the NYPD accountable. I hate Bill De Blasio but his stance on policing in this city is 100% and when cops don’t get what they want they do sh*tty police work. Do not take an oath to serve and protect communities and throw bi*ch fits when you can’t brutalize the very people you’re sworn to protect.

Folks like the 9/11 responders don’t exist anymore. Due to the multitude of “backhands” from both the state and federal government (mainly). You had n*ggas dying from sh*t, from the towers. Almost a year or two later. You had n*ggas getting all types of cancers, auto immune disorders and all that. Before also taking account of the mental anguish, PTSD and so on from it.

It’s like the military. You got n*ggas who fought in NAM, who just now getting claims finally approved from Agent orange exposure. That’s why, it’s hustle the government.

OG folks bounce out, when getting close to pension or getting “medically retired” early. This ain’t no hallmark movie of smiles and sh*t. Get that bread and bounce the fu*k out. Or get “knocked the fu*k out” by something out of your hands.

1 week ago '07        #8
d1988 
space
space
Props total: 0 0  Slaps total: 1 1
Might as well offer Popeye's chicken sandwich as well

1 week ago '11        #9
space
space
 bxgangmember said
n*gga go choke on a d*ck
Why?

1 week ago '04        #10
patt24 
space
space
Props total: 5667 5 K  Slaps total: 843 843
the reward for showing up to court is not going back to fu*king jail.
+2   

1 week ago '08        #11
tdnupe3 
space
space
Props total: 33966 33 K  Slaps total: 2289 2 K
Cash bail needs to be done away with, but offering gift cards to get people to come to court is a silly option.

"Take a chance of being locked up by an unjust system, and you get a $50 gift card to starbucks."

That just sounds silly.

The best thing for them to do (if they're going to continue down this path) is to give individuals an opportunity to come to court. If they miss the date, issue a bench warrant (they can't get out until they see a judge, which would also have a specified mandatory maximum time). This isn't rocket science. They have the resources to monitor and arrest people with fta warrants.

1 week ago '11        #12
space
space
 bxgangmember said
n*gga go choke on a d*ck
is it you're unable to articulate why you disagree with me so you lash out and say slapping saying vulgar insults?

1 week ago '19        #13
bxgangmember 
space
space
space
 Sin said
is it you're unable to articulate why you disagree with me so you lash out and say slapping saying vulgar insults?
you so hurt that you replied twice

1 week ago '06        #14
"SS" 
space
space
Props total: 16920 16 K  Slaps total: 1239 1 K
Been doing that sh*t where im from years, if the sh*t isn't that serious. Driving charges, bullsh*t drug charges etc. They arrest you and let you go on the spot. Believe it or not i even got one for a gun. It was registered to me, but i didn't have a permit at the time so it wasn't real serious (the south) Give you something called a misdemeanor citation and you go on your way. Still have to go and get fingerprinted and your mugshot taken and get a court date. It's kinda fu*ked up tho cause normally chatges like that they'll usually squash just for sitting in jail for a day or 2, to get you out of their har, but now since you aint got the time served for getting arrested and waiting to make bond, they're offering probation...so the state is actually winning with the fees and sh*t

1 week ago '11        #15
space
space
 bxgangmember said
you so hurt that you replied twice
I really want to hear your opinion on this being you're BX resident gang member

you probably know more about jail and bail than me

1 week ago '12        #16
Ricky Retardo 
space
space
Props total: 25370 25 K  Slaps total: 2059 2 K
 Piff Blunts xx said
All facts. I had a warrant one time that i wasnt aware of and had 2 police contacts that ended with citations and none of them pursued the warrant nor mentioned it.

Come to find out it was a warrant from almost 5 years prior for a missed court appearance for community service results. Something I thought my attorney can handle without my presence.

I got pulled over in red hook and super cop couldn't wait to book me. Had to bring the other citations to prove I had police contact and was not notified of the warrant.

Judge waived the bail, released me on ROR and told me to appear in Manhattan court then come back to red hook to prove I went to the Manhattan court.

It's a fu*king scam. NYC court and justice system is a hustle like everywhere else but NY running like a true extortion operation.

The only thing that fu*ks them up is if you have a private attorney and bread. That means they gotta do real work and most if the fluffed up charges to scare you into taking pleas and paying bullsh*t fines has to be thrown out.

fu*k NYC as a whole
+2   

1 week ago '19        #17
bxgangmember 
space
space
space
 Sin said
I really want to hear your opinion on this being you're BX resident gang member

you probably know more about jail and bail than me
i ain’t never did no time
+1   

1 week ago '11        #18
space
space
 bxgangmember said
i ain’t never did no time
thats good, I hope it stays that way

1 week ago '19        #19
bxgangmember 
space
space
space
 Sin said
thats good, I hope it stays that way
yea but it could to anyone likely or not which is why i’m in favor of this because if it does getting gifts for going to court would be nice

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+34online now  38
Image(s) inside Are You Catching a Murder Case Over This?
100 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-40online now  28
Image(s) inside #metoo
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+27online now  22
Image(s) inside WTF: Every RAPPER In The GAME BOOKING PRICES LEAKED! & U WON'T BELIEVE..
173 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+50online now  12
Image(s) inside Can this brand make a comeback?
167 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy