online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

DaOmega_1's review of "The Cabin in the Woods"

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

12 years ago '05        #1
7010 page views
0 comments

DaOmega_1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19214 19 K  Slaps total: 2017 2 K
DaOmega_1's review of "The Cabin in the Woods"

Summary for those who need it: Way smarter than you are expecting, "Cabin In The Woods" will surprise some, frustrate others, and may change the way you look at horror films.
I suspect after watching this film, one may not be able to look at horror films the same. The main reason being that this film singlehandedly has broken the genre, and has given us a complete and thorough deconstruction of horror films. Here is a film that goes further than any horror satire has ever gone in examining the horror genre. The last film to really try and do it was Scream. And even then, all "Scream" did was reference the cliches. "Cabin In The Woods" is not merely satisfied with referencing cliches, it goes so far as to point out ALL the reasons why the cliches even exist in the first place.

It may be considered required viewing if you call yourself a fan of horror films.

Look at this film as more of a horror comedy. A horror comedy in the sense that there is lots of blood & gore, lots of ki1ling, yet the movie the movie has an air of "fun" to it. It is almost ALWAYS constantly filled with clever dialogue. The film itself is so clever, so funny, and so witty that it almost makes you forget your watching a horror film up until the moment that a brutal death happens.

So, the movie follows five young adults who are venturing out into a secluded cabin for a weekend of fun. However, all is not as it seems.

I really cannot tell you anything else about the plot itself. The less you know, the better. All you need to know is that if it sounds cliche, that's because its for a reason. The movie takes a big giant left turn that feels not only organic, but actually makes the film better. To simply tell you would ruin the fun of discovering the purpose behind everything that is happening.

The performances are great. And, that is because the actors are given great dialogue (no wonder, it comes from Joss Whedon). The performances, the aesthetic, the humor all harkens back to one of my favorite horror comedies... Evil Dead 2. It doesn't have the same manic style that Evil Dead 2 has. Instead, it has more of the pitch perfect balance of humor and horror. I label this the same way I label "Evil Dead 2"... A fun horror film, not a serious one.

The problems arise in that the film has such an air of fun to it, that sometimes it doesn't seem as scary as it should be. It may hinder some viewers who are expecting an out-&-out horror film. But, at some point, viewers will become hip to what the film is doing. However, it will be a hinderance to some people that they might not be able to get over. You need to know if you're one of those people.

What pushed it over the edge, for me, is the 3rd act. See... For the first two acts, I just "liked" it. In the 3rd act, it became unbelievably great. The stuff they do... It is so original and so fresh. The 3rd act really shows us what is great about horror, and what it can be capable of.

I would love to give it a higher score than what I'm about to give it. BUT, I know y'all... I know some people on here REALLY won't like it. But, I know some of y'all as well will really like it as much as I did. You really should see it for yourself, and prepare for something that you most likely will not be expecting.

SCORE: 8.5 (out of 10) = DOPE

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 04-11-2012 at 10:29 PM..
+7   

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+818