"questionable" calls.

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
86 replies  @sports

most viewed right now
201 replies  @guap

most viewed right now
83 replies  @guap

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

2 weeks ago '16        #1
396 page views
11 comments

kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 70303 70 K  Slaps total: 7534 7 K
"questionable" calls.

+6   

best
worst
11 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
Cowboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2591 2 K  Slaps total: 400 400
bruh get that man some damn glasses

2 weeks ago '08        #3
AC_89  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 62322 62 K  Slaps total: 3505 3 K
The one in the dirt at 0:39
+4   

2 weeks ago '20        #4
Fianchetto 
Props total: 824 824  Slaps total: 2291 2 K
A lot of people who watch these clips think that the box displayed on the screen is the "correct" strike zone, and whenever an umpire deviates from that, he is simply making the wrong call.

That's a misconception, and it's a little more complicated than that.

Umpires are able to define their strike zone with a little more subjectivity than that box provides. What separates a bad home plate umpire from a good one is the consistency with which an umpire defines his personal strike zone from one at bat to the next. Hernandez is admittedly also bad in this regard, but it's important to realize that he's not as bad at calling balls and strikes as these types of clips seek to demonstrate.

Don't look for how far these pitches are outside of the imaginary two dimensional box the television broadcast paints for you as the strike zone. That box is a guideline. The actual strike zone is a three dimensional plane that we on occasion would actually need to see different angles to call as accurately, or at the very least as consistently as the umpire working the dish. The late movement of a pitch, the handedness of a batter, and the angle of the camera zooming in on the action all factor into every pitch that hits the catcher's mitt.

from Business Insider actually has a great breakdown explaining this, with a corresponding study to cement the point.

Last edited by Fianchetto; 04-08-2021 at 12:07 AM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
mainevent23 
Props total: 2140 2 K  Slaps total: 346 346
Worst ump in the league!
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #6
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11 OP
Props total: 70303 70 K  Slaps total: 7534 7 K
 Fianchetto said
A lot of people who watch these clips think that the box displayed on the screen is the "correct" strike zone, and whenever an umpire deviates from that, he is simply making the wrong call.

That's a misconception, and it's a little more complicated than that.

Umpires are able to define their strike zone with a little more subjectivity than that box provides. What separates a bad home plate umpire from a good one is the consistency with which an umpire defines his personal strike zone from one at bat to the next. Hernandez is admittedly also bad in this regard, but it's important to realize that he's not as bad at calling balls and strikes as these types of clips seek to demonstrate.

Don't look for how far these pitches are outside of the imaginary two dimensional box the television broadcast paints for you as the strike zone. That box is a guideline. The actual strike zone is a three dimensional plane that we on occasion would actually need to see different angles to call as accurately, or at the very least as consistently as the umpire working the dish. The late movement of a pitch, the handedness of a batter, and the angle of the camera zooming in on the action all factor into every pitch that hits the catcher's mitt.

from Business Insider actually has a great breakdown explaining this, with a corresponding study to cement the point.
What do you think about them using computers or lasers to call the pitches?
+1   

2 weeks ago '20        #7
Fianchetto 
Props total: 824 824  Slaps total: 2291 2 K
 kuul said
What do you think about them using computers or lasers to call the pitches?
I enjoy the human element of baseball so I have never been for computerized strike zones. I also think people aren't sure what they're signing up for when they advocate for that, because it would instantaneously eliminate the skill in catcher framing. A computerized strike zone takes a large portion of the skill of catching out of the game, and would create a huge shift in the demands required to play that position. You'd start seeing weaker defensive players transition to that role just to keep their bats in the lineup, since the barrier of entry would be drastically reduced when the only skill in catching was reduced to not allowing for passed balls, calling pitch sequences, and having an arm capable of throwing out baserunners. Framing is more difficult than each of those tasks.

Pitches that 99% of us would instinctively call a ball or strike may actually differ from the perception of a computer, which would alter the type of movement on pitches we see pitchers aspiring to achieve. The adjustments required for those types of changes would likely be immense.

With that being said, I like umpires who call very inconsistent strike zones even less than the idea of a computerized one.

I think if not for terrible umpires like Hernandez, it becomes a non-issue. But there were worse umpires than Hernandez previously and the game pressed on. Hernandez actually makes me appreciate good umpires that much more for the value they bring to the sport. Bad umpires just need to be held more accountable by the unions that protect them, and especially to be kept out of meaningful games (such as in the postseason). The other problem is that good umpires go unappreciated when they call a near perfect game, which to me is an ideal in baseball worth pursuing before considering the use of the computer.

I want pitchers to steal strikes from the scrutiny of an umpire's eye when they paint the black and their catcher is doing his job. I want veteran hitters to have an ever so slightly smaller strike zone when they take a pitch that the rookie entering the league may not get. Those may sound like imperfections worth improving upon to many baseball fans demanding pinpoint accuracy in every phase of the game, but to me they are a part of the human element that makes the game better. Baseball has a very distinct tradition about it that I like to see preserved whenever possible.

Last edited by Fianchetto; 04-08-2021 at 07:18 AM..

2 weeks ago '04        #8
CentsCuZ 
Props total: 6128 6 K  Slaps total: 1400 1 K
It's crazy that MLB doesn't do anything about this guy. His terribleness has been discussed for years.

2 weeks ago '10        #9
Billy Hoyle 
Props total: 4008 4 K  Slaps total: 592 592
This guy is terrible but I umpire at a decent level to know some of those are to call. When your catcher setting up outside and his pitch runs inside you ain’t getting that call, ever. They teach you if you’re going to expand your strike zone never do it up and down cause coaches can see that, you always do it from the corners. With that being said once you open it up you have to live out there and be consistent. A lot of those curveballs were high which you aren’t going to get that call either. Anyway, this dude does fu*kin suck and needs to go lmao
+3   

2 weeks ago '13        #10
mkhrt92 
Props total: 40500 40 K  Slaps total: 7066 7 K
people still watch baseball?

2 weeks ago '17        #11
auboy 
Props total: 882 882  Slaps total: 38 38
 mkhrt92 said
people still watch baseball?
Hell yea! Itís my sonís dream to play in the majors one day. Highest paid sport in America with less stress on the body!
+4   

2 weeks ago '10        #12
Billy Hoyle 
Props total: 4008 4 K  Slaps total: 592 592
 auboy said
Hell yea! Itís my sonís dream to play in the majors one day. Highest paid sport in America with less stress on the body!
Hell yea! Love fu*kin baseball man.
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+84online now  17
My boy Nasir got one with this lotion
184 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+19online now  14
Apr 18 - Chicago - 6 Year Old Girl k*lled At McDonalds Drive Thru
168 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  14
Video inside VIDEO: Whatever Happened @ Last Night's Show It's Clear- Nobody Was Get..
88 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+83online now  12
Video inside Chloe Bailey... Top Notch baddest chick in the game
148 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy