East coast, West coast, Midwest...Was twerkin a part of yall culture in the 90s???

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

4 months ago '19        #1
2518 page views
124 comments

Bam Bam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9385 9 K  Slaps total: 4320 4 K
East coast, West coast, Midwest...Was twerkin a part of yall culture in the 90s???

I've been wondering about this sh*t for a whileimage

Was it normal for yall chicks to just twerk like that? I ain't talking bout that 80s Kelly Bundy sh*t either. Twerking looks the same way today as it did back then.

I really can't even imagine yall women twerkin and especially not to y'alls styles of production.

Today black women from all regions and even worldwide be twerkin. sh*t is kind of weird and mind blowing.

I just can't imagine an NYC chick from the 90s twerkinimage

I could see D.C. or B-More hoes throwing some a*s off that Go-Goimage

Now that I think of it I know Midwest hoes was slangin a*s off that House sh*t:cosbytoast:

West coast had Electro in the 80s. They had no choice but to throw that a*s. That sh*t was the progenitor to Miami Bass which is what helped shape the sound of twerkin in the southimage

It's crazy how it was acceptable for heteros*xual n*ggas to dance wit they hips back then. n*ggas was basically twerkin themselvesimage

And if you was a kid growing up in the 90s down south and you went to a birthday party you twerked too n*ggaimage Bass music was the soundtrack to birthday parties, Sundays at the park when n*ggas used to throw regional basketball tournaments, BBQ and reefer smoke everywhere, etc image

You had all that Afrika Bambatty sh*t in NYC but I still can't imagine chicks throwing a*s up there back then for some reasonimage

Some of yall goofy n*ggas probably really think Miley Cyrus invented twerking, Noimage That sh*t was normal down south all throughout the 90s and 2000s.

P.S. a chick really can't twerk to most old southern street rap from the 90s. So that's telling me Miami/Atlanta Bass is a bigger influence and stepping stone towards Trap music than given credit for. You need that MIA/ATL Bass and New Orleans Bounce DNA in Modern Trap music production for them a*ses to get to clappinimage

Last edited by Bam Bam; 05-15-2021 at 06:50 PM..
+14   

best
worst
124 comments

4 months ago '19        #2
Bam Bam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
I was listening to this and just trying to imagine NYC chicks throwing a*s to this

Even if it was club friendly NY sh*t like this I still couldn't picture it

Even in this video I don't see no a*s up on the wall, Sal. Why they not twerkin. A down south chick would k*ll this sh*t in the club

When it comes to pu**y poppin NYC chicks are the white women of black American people
+8   

4 months ago '21        #3
0 0 X X X 
Props total: 1056 1 K  Slaps total: 76 76
nyc got all the caribbean vibes

greatest waistlines on planet earth

ha

+8   

4 months ago '19        #4
 0 0 X X X said
nyc got all the caribbean vibes

greatest waistlines on planet earth

ha

Yall women great at what they do(whine and WWF). Our women great at what they do(twerk and P-Pop). Let's just leave it at that
+9   

4 months ago '16        #5
144000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28224 28 K  Slaps total: 42433 42 K
Twerking would have come through Miami from the islands.

I posted it on here before (nobody cared), but you can find "twerk" in old etymological dictionaries, specifically in reference to s*xual dancing, and the word was being used by Europeans centuries ago.

But of course it didn't start in Europe. It's actually an ancient thing though, looking at the etymology.

4 months ago '19        #6
And I'm strictly talkin ADOS chicks, not Caribbean. I know them Caribbean hoes was jumping off the top rope on the d*ck to that 90s Dancehall
+4   

4 months ago '16        #7
Look up "twerk" on wiktionary.

It goes way back.

4 months ago '06        #8
datVAkid 
Props total: 35152 35 K  Slaps total: 5740 5 K
 Bam Bam said
I've been wondering about this sh*t for a while

Was it normal for yall chicks to just twerk like that? I ain't talking bout that 80s Kelly Bundy sh*t either. Twerking looks the same way today as it did back then.

I really can't even imagine yall women twerkin and especially not to y'alls styles of production.

Today black women from all regions and even worldwide be twerkin. sh*t is kind of weird and mind blowing.

I just can't imagine an NYC chick from the 90s twerkin

I could see D.C. or B-More hoes throwing some a*s off that Go-Go

Now that I think of it I know Midwest hoes was slangin a*s off that House sh*t:cosbytoast:

West coast had Electro in the 80s. They had no choice but to throw that a*s. That sh*t was the progenitor to Miami Bass which is what helped shape the sound of twerkin in the south

It's crazy how it was acceptable for heteros*xual n*ggas to dance wit they hips back then. n*ggas was basically twerkin themselves

And if you was a kid growing up in the 90s down south and you went to a birthday party you twerked too n*gga Bass music was the soundtrack to birthday parties, Sundays at the park when n*ggas used to throw regional basketball tournaments, BBQ and reefer smoke everywhere, etc

You had all that Afrika Bambatty sh*t in NYC but I still can't imagine chicks throwing a*s up there back then for some reason

Some of yall goofy n*ggas probably really think Miley Cyrus invented twerking, No That sh*t was normal down south all throughout the 90s and 2000s.

P.S. a chick really can't twerk to most old southern street rap from the 90s. So that's telling me Miami/Atlanta Bass is a bigger influence and stepping stone towards Trap music than given credit for. You need that MIA/ATL Bass and New Orleans Bounce DNA in Modern Trap music production for them a*ses to get to clappin
Bmore don't fu*k with gogo bruh.

That's a whole different culture.

Also I'm 30 n I first experienced tweeking in tge 6th grade, and that was in 2001
+2   

4 months ago '16        #9
@

Why did you slap my post?

Finnish: twerkata (fi)

German: twerken
I don't get on here making sh*t up.

You can get deep into the roots, and it's going to be Proto-Indo-European. If you hadn't slapped me, I'd show you. But it's ancient.
+1   

4 months ago '04        #10
Veno da Don 
Props total: 21415 21 K  Slaps total: 2329 2 K
In Detroit. Yes. But we have ghetto tech and people went outside so
+1   

4 months ago '15        #11
JRob1125 
Props total: 24809 24 K  Slaps total: 2371 2 K
I'm from Milwaukee and I remember girls twerking as far back as the late 90s, maybe a little earlier
+7   

4 months ago '19        #12
 144000 said
Twerking would have come through Miami from the islands.

I posted it on here before (nobody cared), but you can find "twerk" in old etymological dictionaries, specifically in reference to s*xual dancing, and the word was being used by Europeans centuries ago.

But of course it didn't start in Europe. It's actually an ancient thing though, looking at the etymology.
It most certainly, absolutely, did not!

I can't fu*k wit yall Caribbean romanticizers man.
Yall n*ggas is culture vultures.

Then why does Caribbean whining and American twerking differ so much?

How did black Americans get twerking from the Caribbeans in Miami when the Americans in Louisiana were already doing it and calling it twerking? Miami Bass did not come from the Caribbean if thats what you think. It came from West coast Electro.

The word twerk is basically black American ingenuity in regards to vernacular. It obviously derives from working that a*s, nothing to do with Europeans.

There's also a different version of simp white people had in the dictionary, but the black American version of simp ain't got sh*t to do with that. Correlation does not equal causation.

Last edited by Bam Bam; 05-15-2021 at 07:49 PM..
+8   

4 months ago '21        #13
0 0 X X X 
you rolled the spliff & lit it

now you gotta breathe that smoke

stand on your statement my g

+3   

4 months ago '15        #14
Ace dealer 
Props total: 37586 37 K  Slaps total: 2463 2 K

Man that’s older than me and I’m old as fu*k, that started here New Orleans

And the way they move with it is still A1
+5   

4 months ago '16        #15
 Bam Bam said
It most certainly, absolutely, did not!

Do you n*ggas see why I hate Caribbean n*ggas? They are culture vultures.

Then why does Caribbean whining and American twerking differ so much?

How did black Americans get twerking from the Caribbeans in Miami when the Americans in Louisiana were already doing it and calling it twerking? Miami Bass did not come from the Caribbean if thats what you think. It came from West coast Electro.

The word twerk is basically black American ingenuity in regards to vernacular. It obviously derives working that a*s, nothing to do with Europeans.

There's also a different version of simp white people had in the dictionary, but the black American version of simp ain't got sh*t to do with that. Correlation does not equal causation.
I'm saying that the European words were derived from Semitic (Afro-Asiatic) roots.

If you study languages, everything goes back to Ethiopia/the Levant.

Of course I wasn't implying that Europeans invented it. They stole everything, no offense to anybody reading. But twerking is derived from ancient roots, and cognates had been coopted by Europeans as early as hundreds of years ago.

4 months ago '19        #16
 datVAkid said
Bmore don't fu*k with gogo bruh.

That's a whole different culture.

Also I'm 30 n I first experienced tweeking in tge 6th grade, and that was in 2001
That's what's up but I know the M in DMV fu*k wit it. Go Go DJs call them n*ggas out for a reason.

4 months ago '19        #17
 0 0 X X X said
you rolled the spliff & lit it

now you gotta breathe that smoke

stand on your statement my g

I'm always down to get dumb ni
+1   

4 months ago '16        #18
@

Okay sorry, I read your post.

You're on a whole other trip than I'd anticipated. I'm not doing Black on Black etymological war. It started with Black folks, fair enough.

But islanders have been on that type of time, and it is what it is.

4 months ago '10        #19
Bigg_Slime  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
Props total: 64575 64 K  Slaps total: 31316 31 K
Lol OP posted that Kizzy Rock

Boxden dont know nun bout that

But I know the west coast bi*ches was shaking a lil sum

I remember them bad a*s hood bi*ches in the deathrow videos. Like that Dre Day video when they was turnt in the parking garage

bi*ch had them long Janet jackson braids slanging dat a*s. I was a horny lil n*gga I ain't forgot nothin

Last edited by Bigg_Slime; 05-15-2021 at 09:10 PM..
+5   

4 months ago '21        #20
0 0 X X X 
 Bam Bam said
I'm always down to get dumb ni
bet*
+1   

4 months ago '19        #21
Ain't nobody got no answers?
+1   

4 months ago '05        #22
YARKONE 
Props total: 3672 3 K  Slaps total: 744 744
Who cares. All I know is in 2021, Twerking can be a career choice for daughters all over the world!!
+2   

4 months ago '19        #23
 Ace dealer said

Please believe I know bout DJ Jimi

The usage of the word "twerk" without a shadow of a doubt comes from New Orleans, but the actual act of twerking obviously not.

Miami was P-Poppin on TV first and most of the south was on Bass heavier than Bounce. What would later become known as twerkin was already being done to Bass music in other parts of the south during a time period where Bass was k*llin sh*t and Bounce was not getting anywhere near the same amount of exposure.

The act of twerking or P-Poppin is just black American's natural reaction to certain styles of music. It's common among all of us. The word twerk itself came from New Orleans and probably spread out and became normal vernacular in black American communities in every region after either Juvenile Back That a*s Up or Yin Yang Whistle While You Twerk blew up.
+5   

4 months ago '15        #24
Kdub31 
Props total: 20982 20 K  Slaps total: 2047 2 K
yall think that women just started shakin a*s
+5   

4 months ago '15        #25
Always Good  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13122 13 K  Slaps total: 3184 3 K
 Ace dealer said

Can’t no hoe Shake (Twerk) like City hoes shake. Hands down

+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+75online now  11
How much do y'all make & pay for rent?
411 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+68online now  8
Video inside Im definitely too old for rap now. Jay come get your sample.
221 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+77online now  4
Video inside T.I. On The Late Shawty Lo's Hit Song "Dey Know"
158 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+79online now  4
Damn joy Taylor looks good today on the herd