utah - comcast raised victims monthly extortion fees despite promise not to

most viewed right now
43 comments @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

3 weeks ago '09        #1
757 page views
13 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
$76,662   Props total: 138714 138714
utah - comcast raised victims monthly extortion fees despite promise not to

visit this link https://arstechnica.com/t .. -lawsuit-says/

Comcast offered customers in Utah a "lifetime" price guarantee in order to compete against Google Fiber, then later violated the lifetime promise by raising those customers' prices, according to a lawsuit pending in a federal court.

"In 2016, Comcast was under intense competitive pressure from Google's high speed fiber-optic data service," the lawsuit says. In Salt Lake City, "Comcast engaged extra sales staff to try to effectively beat the Google Fiber sales staff as they made their way up and down the streets of each neighborhood. To compete, Comcast sales staff began to offer 'lifetime' contracts to some of its customers and sold Comcast's broadband services by using door to door salespeople, especially in cities and neighborhoods where Google was aggressively offering its fiber-optic service."

Customer Brian Baker, the plaintiff in the proposed class-action suit, says that in July 2016 he took up Comcast's offer for a $120-per-month plan including TV, Internet, and phone service. Baker's lawsuit says he received a mailing from Comcast that said the $120 price would be locked in for as long as he wanted.

The mailing included a price list, on which a Comcast salesperson had written that "this is a lifetime price" and that "these are not promotional pricesóno yearly increases," the lawsuit said. A copy of this mailing is exhibit B toward the end of this court document.

image When Baker contacted Comcast to accept the offer, the salesperson again "emphasized that the Triple Play price was no mere short-term promotion, but was a 'lifetime price,'" the lawsuit said. Baker and Comcast then "entered into a contract providing that Plaintiff would pay $120 per month for Defendant's 'Extreme Triple Play' services for life," the lawsuit said. (Another exhibit in the lawsuit shows the service order, but it doesn't mention a lifetime guarantee.)

The lawsuit claims that "as many as 20% of Comcast's over 200,000 contracts in Utah may be 'lifetime' contracts." But in June 2019, Comcast increased Baker's bill by $10 a month, and "Other customers have had their bill unilaterally increased as much as $50 per month over the specified 'lifetime' rate," the lawsuit says

The complaint continues:

Many customers, upon seeing the substantial increase in monthly billing, contacted Comcast and were told by Comcast employees or representatives that Comcast's "lifetime" plan does not exist in spite of the previous representations by its sales staff and in spite of the numerous written contracts with the "lifetime" language prominently displayed

Seeking class-action certification

The lawsuit was originally filed in a Utah state court on August 14 and was transferred last week at Comcast's request to US District Court for the District of Utah. We contacted Comcast about the lawsuit today and will update this story if we get a response. Comcast has until October 18 to file an answer to the complaint in court.

The lawsuit seeks certification of a class including all people who "entered into a 'lifetime' contract with Comcast on which Comcast reneged." It further seeks financial damages and an "order enjoining Comcast from increasing the price on other lifetime contracts and restoring the price to original levels for contracts it has breached."

Comcast's alleged reneging on the lifetime prices came after Google Fiber pulled back from its ambitious fiber broadband plans. In October 2016, Google announced layoffs and that it was "pausing" or ending fiber operations in 10 cities where it hadn't yet fully committed to building.

Google Fiber continued offering service in most areas where it was already available, including Salt Lake City. But construction slowed down, leaving many Salt Lake City residents without the option to purchase Google Fiber and making it easier for Comcast to hold onto customers
+5   

best
worst
13 comments

3 weeks ago '19        #2
JUANCEASAR 
space
space
space
$635   Props total: 1467 1467
fu*k Comcast. Who needs cable now anyways? You got Netflix & Hulu or Hulu+. Cable is over with.
+2   

3 weeks ago '17        #3
one il matt 56  10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,093   Props total: 6585 6585
I’m going to make a k*lling off investing in 5G infrastructure. create a WISP system based on 5G and sell to households. Offer better customer service and no caps, bullsh*t.

Every one HATES their ISP and telecom provider because ISPs and telecom companies know they have the market on lock.

Bugatti Bern / Liz Dizzle gonna wrap those large cablecos / telcos up and allow the little guy to flourish.

+1   

3 weeks ago '07        #4
yolaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$6,801   Props total: 16442 16442
 JUANCEASAR said
fu*k Comcast. Who needs cable now anyways? You got Netflix & Hulu or Hulu+. Cable is over with.
Comcast has more broadband subscribers than cable
+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #5
1nonly  15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,157   Props total: 2212 2212
i cut comcast tv last week. felt good. it's too expensive for what you are getting and the long list of fees

never again
+3   

2 weeks ago '10        #6
umeda  14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$1,096   Props total: 1152 1152
 1nonly said
i cut comcast tv last week. felt good. it's too expensive for what you are getting and the long list of fees

never again
In total how much were u paying I pay 180 monthly with Verizon

2 weeks ago '18        #7
LuxuriousGreen  8 heat pts8
space
space
$1,441   Props total: 4450 4450
 1nonly said

never again
Same here, I was paying over $250 a month with all the packages & x1.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #8
arkansas@$$hole  6 heat pts6
space
space
$1,600   Props total: 2602 2602
We cut out cable and tv and just kept the internet with Comcast. Internet only and it started at like 55 a month just for net with free showtime and basic channels (Included)....... That’s also with no promos. Not sure how but it’s raised every month and has crept up to 72 a month. I’ve called and called and they have a different excuse every time. Switching to ATT internet (internet only) in mid Oct.
+2   

2 weeks ago '09        #9
McmasterlockPt2  43 heat pts43
space
space
$13,685   Props total: 2137 2137
I used to work for Comcast and they’re all about the dollar.

2 weeks ago '04        #10
1nonly  15 heat pts15
space
space
 umeda said
In total how much were u paying I pay 180 monthly with Verizon
$240 smh

2 weeks ago '04        #11
1nonly  15 heat pts15
space
space
 LuxuriousGreen said
Same here, I was paying over $250 a month with all the packages & x1.
i didn't have all the packages but redzone, nba tv

dvr fees, extra box fees, not sure what package but I had extra channels also

never again

2 weeks ago '10        #12
umeda  14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$1,096   Props total: 1152 1152
 1nonly said
$240 smh
Damn that's a rip-off but I was paying 150 before with Verizon but I heard a price increase is coming to 250 soon so I'm gonna cut off cable

2 weeks ago '05        #13
PhrozenMenace  1 heat pts1
space
space
$15,406   Props total: 3931 3931
 arkansas@$$hole said
We cut out cable and tv and just kept the internet with Comcast. Internet only and it started at like 55 a month just for net with free showtime and basic channels (Included)....... Thatís also with no promos. Not sure how but itís raised every month and has crept up to 72 a month. Iíve called and called and they have a different excuse every time. Switching to ATT internet (internet only) in mid Oct.
that's what those thieves do, surprise price increases with no real explanation...they should be sued for that

1 week ago '14        #14
rashadd 
space
space
$1,915   Props total: 7115 7115
I don't understand why every brags about cutting cable/Satellite tv. These companies also own the internet services and those prices have been steadily increasing as well, have they not?

Internet is the obvious choice over cable for the future and by the time everyone makes the switch to "cord cutters" ... internet prices will be just as outrageous as cable. The excuse so far is that with the popularity of live streaming services like directv now and playstation vue, the reason for the increase in price is due to them trying to provide a "better service" but yet I had no problem playing directv now on my phone but every since the switch to att now the app doesn't work. them bi*ches is just money hungry and sooner or later the live streaming app will be well over a $100 and then you'll be paying over $100 for the internet... also a internet where they want to put a cap on how much you can stream a month... as if they have to dig more internet out of the ground like oil. I can't imagine the price to provide vs the price they charge as I'm sure the percentage gained off profits would almost seem like a fairy tail...

+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  24
Video inside Apple Head Gina has her own talk show
32 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  16
Video inside PS5 Backwards Compatibility (not what you think) Shraggy!?!
35 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
-52online now  15
Image(s) inside What did the Egyptian slaves use to build this
310 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+50online now  12
Video inside Amanda Seeles in deep trouble for lying on a doctor saying he sexual as..
110 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy