How and Why Big L actually died

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+67  121
115 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section hiphop

New replies show every 10 seconds
 5 days ago '19        #151
OldBrooklyn7187 
space
space
space
Props total: 703 703  Slaps total: 127 127
 cold_young_thug said
He is the epitome of what kids his age in his time thought rap was about. Being authentic as fu*k about everything in your rhymes. And its the fact ya rap sheet matched what you spit that gave u validity.

Yeah sh*t like this left n*ggas like Pop Smoke without guidance...Cuz n*ggas in my era knew

"Your word was everything, so everything you said you'd do? You did it
couldn't talk about it if you ain't live it"
+1   

5 days ago '19        #152
Witness102  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 1999 1 K  Slaps total: 335 335
 slim_d20 said
I agree 100%. New yorkers used to hype this dude up so much but there were literally dozens and dozens of better song makers than this Big L guy. He is the rap equivalent of rucker park NYC street ball legends. Nobody outside of NYC or that culture gives two sh*ts about them. The 1 or two to make it to the NBA are a*scheeks players like rafer skip lou.
Well said bro - replied to take some slaps in solidarity ;)

5 days ago '18        #153
TheyGotKanye 
space
space
space
Props total: 2223 2 K  Slaps total: 618 618
 Teknicks said
Shut up. I never said he was bigger than Snoop. Or he was a Cali Legend. I said he's a Hip Hop Legend to niccas in Cali.
No. To dudes like you in Cali that listen Ny n*ggas, he’s a local legend too. Facts, he’s a local legend. But no one knows his music. You sound stupid. I’m from one of the main areas NY street teams promoted too. He not one of them guys. He’s not even on a MASE level. No where near and MASE is a legend. You can’t measure his status to ANYONE who’s a legend. He don’t measure up.

5 days ago '13        #154
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 66915 66 K  Slaps total: 7937 7 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said
This been known around harlem since big L passed and I'm from the bronx.
Negus you pusha t

From the Bronx and VA
+1   

5 days ago '13        #155
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 66915 66 K  Slaps total: 7937 7 K
 Teknicks said
Goodness smh..
One of my fave lines
+1   

5 days ago '09        #156
chasedg 
space
space
Props total: 2268 2 K  Slaps total: 442 442
I watched this documentary and it was wild lol big L definitely lined Reggie up through same way he tried to line Gee up smh I never knew all big L's grimey a*s lyrics were just real life everday sh*t to him lmao

5 days ago '05        #157
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 17909 17 K  Slaps total: 5007 5 K
 doctorK said
That was from Stretch and Bobbito would have to guess before 97/98 pretty sure Kool Keith was on the same night absolutely k*lling it talking about comics and sandwiches. I still have a couple Stretch and Bob tapes and that's one of them.
Oh damn, yea tou would probably know better than me, I caught it long after it came out, probably 2002 ish.

Not sure how dudes can say this dude is overrated, it's crazy to me, still waiting on someone to tell a more vivid story than this:

+3   

5 days ago '05        #158
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 17909 17 K  Slaps total: 5007 5 K
 Witness102 said
Well said bro - replied to take some slaps in solidarity ;)
Slap for also having a sh*tty opinion

Top 10 most slapped recently  5 days ago '18        #159
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 24906 24 K  Slaps total: 9000 9 K
 North!!! said
Negus you pusha t

From the Bronx and VA
.moves to VA at 11
+3   

5 days ago '05        #160
slim_d20 
space
space
Props total: 10461 10 K  Slaps total: 3488 3 K
 LordBlanco said
You one ignorant muthafu*ka man.

5 songs? Nobody outside of NYC cared about L or knew about him? Really?

Pls tell me how he did shows around the country and the world then?

Dude was in fking Amsterdam live but pls continue on how only ppl in NY knew him.

Dude really said L is Craig Mack status... WOW

You do know L was about to get signed to a major record label along his NYC counterparts (Nas, DMX, Ja, AZ, Method Man, WuTang, Fat Joe and the list goes on)

You know who rly doesn't give a sh*t about rappers from a certain area no matter how much you hyped them up? Detroit.

Em had to turn into a pop group bashing, drug abusing junkie just to blow up cause spitting real sh*t "Infinite" wasn't going to move units
LMFAO bruh I used to be a studio engineer at stankonia and one of jazze studios in ATL. There are thousands of suckas who get signed to labels and are never heard of again. There are also thousands of losers who do shows in Europe because Europeans will go see any damn body on a flyer. I've seen dudes in the army in Germany who rap as a side gig get booked for shows in and around countries like germani that doesn't mean jack sh*t at all. Also if you knew anything at all about Detroit, we don't really give a sh*t about Detroit rap like that, particularly those of my generation. The techno and house DJs are the music heroes in our city, and the parties are more dominated by house, miami base, and r&b than rap. That's because we actually dance with our women at parties instead of you nee york types who go to the club just to smoke with your homies, look hard, and f*ght.

Anyway I heard all the hype of Big L from New York n*ggas while I was at Howard back in the late 90s and never saw anything close to"legend" status. DC clubs might play put em on in the club every once in awhile, meanwhile Craig Mack, Junior mafia, mobb deep, various bad boy artist, etc got far far far more spins in club and radio than fu*kin big l. The women don't even know who the fu*k they guy is just the n*ggas. C'mon son stop it. Big L is just another nyc legend footnote in hip hop because he died. sh*t papoose should have died early so he can be a "Legend" too if y'all want to go by that philosophy.

Anyways i really don't give a fu*k so I'm out of this thread.

5 days ago '04        #161
1000bluntz 
space
space
Props total: 24823 24 K  Slaps total: 6231 6 K
It’s a shame he was into the dumb sh*t because this dude was easily one of the most naturally gifted rhyme sayers who have ever lived.
+2   

5 days ago '04        #162
LordBlanco|M 
space
space
Props total: 35161 35 K  Slaps total: 3349 3 K
 slim_d20 said
LMFAO bruh I used to be a studio engineer at stankonia and one of jazze studios in ATL. There are thousands of suckas who get signed to labels and are never heard of again. There are also thousands of losers who do shows in Europe because Europeans will go see any damn body on a flyer. I've seen dudes in the army in Germany who rap as a side gig get booked for shows in and around countries like germani that doesn't mean jack sh*t at all. Also if you knew anything at all about Detroit, we don't really give a sh*t about Detroit rap like that, particularly those of my generation. The techno and house DJs are the music heroes in our city, and the parties are more dominated by house, miami base, and r&b than rap. That's because we actually dance with our women at parties instead of you nee york types who go to the club just to smoke with your homies, look hard, and f*ght.

Anyway I heard all the hype of Big L from New York n*ggas while I was at Howard back in the late 90s and never saw anything close to"legend" status. DC clubs might play put em on in the club every once in awhile, meanwhile Craig Mack, Junior mafia, mobb deep, various bad boy artist, etc got far far far more spins in club and radio than fu*kin big l. The women don't even know who the fu*k they guy is just the n*ggas. C'mon son stop it. Big L is just another nyc legend footnote in hip hop because he died. sh*t papoose should have died early so he can be a "Legend" too if y'all want to go by that philosophy.

Anyways i really don't give a fu*k so I'm out of this thread.
Considering YOU were the one who came into the thread talking mad sh*t about L first this is funny to me lol

and again you bring up NY sh*t, you just don’t like NY artists or NY period. Clearly. Now L is Papoose, lmaoooo man fk Papoose

You’re biased therefore your subjective opinion means d*ck. You don’t like L, you think he’s not even Craig Mack status cuz Macks one track “Flava In Ya Ear” which is more known for the other rappers on the track getting play, lol foh.

Have a good one chief
+1   

5 days ago '10        #163
Trilluminati GA 
space
space
Props total: 19546 19 K  Slaps total: 879 879
Get it how you live

5 days ago '05        #164
slim_d20 
space
space
 LordBlanco said
Considering YOU were the one who came into the thread talking mad sh*t about L first this is funny to me lol

and again you bring up NY sh*t, you just don’t like NY artists or NY period. Clearly. Now L is Papoose, lmaoooo man fk Papoose

You’re biased therefore your subjective opinion means d*ck. You don’t like L, you think he’s not even Craig Mack status cuz Macks one track “Flava In Ya Ear” which is more known for the other rappers on the track getting play, lol foh.

Have a good one chief
dont like NY artists? Dude I grew up on Special Ed and KRS1 and can literally recite entire albums. Redman, Busta, and Treach are 3 of my personal top 5 all time MCs. AZ & Camron albums still in steady rotation until this day.

It's not about bias. Its about good music. And Big L sh*t wasn't that good. Sure he might have been talented to those who were close and followed him, but outside of the tri-state he is just a hypebeast who has a "legend" surrounding his death, NOT his music.

5 days ago '04        #165
LordBlanco|M 
space
space
 slim_d20 said
dont like NY artists? Dude I grew up on Special Ed and KRS1 and can literally recite entire albums. Redman, Busta, and Treach are 3 of my personal top 5 all time MCs. AZ & Camron albums still in steady rotation until this day.

It's not about bias. Its about good music. And Big L sh*t wasn't that good. Sure he might have been talented to those who were close and followed him, but outside of the tri-state he is just a hypebeast who has a "legend" surrounding his death, NOT his music.
I mean off his album The Big Picture I dont like half the songs cause of the beats so I listen to blends. Lol. WHen I think of L it's always Lifestyles of the Poor & Dangerous. Like Nas he didn't always have the best beat selection. I loved L's earlier sh*t, COC, DITC stuff.

L tried to be more marketable by having club tracks, that was his one knock really. Since you mentioned clubs before yeah I agree L did not have tracks that bumped there but not for a lack of trying. I'd say he had two that would work in clubs (Holdin It Down & MVP) Plus who knows what he would've came out with if he was signed to a major labor had he not died and had access to all the dope producers.

Bottom line is L is a legend in Hip-Hop tho his life was cut short, to hold his small catalog against him isn't fair. Biggies catalog is the same size if not smaller but his production value was 1000x whatever L had. Let's be real here. The fact L wasn't that popular in your area doesn't take away from his impact. If not for L we wouldn't even know who Camron is, Mase (Although i think Mase was the reason COC was formed, Idr but it was over after Bloodshed died who was ill as fk too), Fat Joe, Lord Finesse etc

But still, Idk how you can actually say L wasn't good. THat's wild too me. To each his own I guess. I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks AZ isn't good cause he didn't blow up like Nas did. Lol.

Last edited by LordBlanco; 02-16-2020 at 08:20 AM..
+1   

5 days ago '05        #166
slim_d20 
space
space
 LordBlanco said
I mean off his album The Big Picture I dont like half the songs cause of the beats so I listen to blends. Lol. WHen I think of L it's always Lifestyles of the Poor & Dangerous. Like Nas he didn't always have the best beat selection. I loved L's earlier sh*t, COC, DITC stuff.

L tried to be more marketable by having club tracks, that was his one knock really. Since you mentioned clubs before yeah I agree L did not have tracks that bumped there but not for a lack of trying. I'd say he had two that would work in clubs (Holdin It Down & MVP) Plus who knows what he would've came out with if he was signed to a major labor had he not died and had access to all the dope producers.

Bottom line is L is a legend in Hip-Hop tho his life was cut short, to hold his small catalog against him isn't fair. Biggies catalog is the same size if not smaller but his production value was 1000x whatever L had. Let's be real here. The fact L wasn't that popular in your area doesn't take away from his impact. If not for L we wouldn't even know who Camron is, Mase (Although i think Mase was the reason COC was formed, Idr but it was over after Bloodshed died who was ill as fk too), Fat Joe, Lord Finesse etc

But still, Idk how you can actually say L wasn't good. THat's wild too me. To each his own I guess. I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks AZ isn't good cause he didn't blow up like Nas did. Lol.
It's interesting that you say you listen to blends because its not just about beats. Big L's style just isn't wide appealing, meaning his content and delivery. The loud bragadocious rap about robbing and kiling just doesn't spread far enough to be considered legend unless you have such a large catalog that your other stuff slips into the mainstream ... ie. Mobb Deep. Also there are many legends that don't have club bangers like that. I know I mentioned Busta and Treach and they had club hits. but Redman is an all time great (personally he's my GOAT) and he has little to no club or radio hits. Even Red himself talked about going Gold was his standard of excellence for albums.

You are right about the "what ifs" but we can't put everyone in the HOF based on potential. Do you think Len Bias deserves to be in the HOF or considered a basketball legend? Sure the people who live in the DC/MD/VA area would say yes. Maybe even a few people in Boston. But nobody outside of that would, thus he is not a legend unless you are discussing the tragedy around his death. I think that's a good basketball analogy for Big L.

5 days ago '04        #167
LordBlanco|M 
space
space
 slim_d20 said
It's interesting that you say you listen to blends because its not just about beats. Big L's style just isn't wide appealing, meaning his content and delivery. The loud bragadocious rap about robbing and kiling just doesn't spread far enough to be considered legend unless you have such a large catalog that your other stuff slips into the mainstream ... ie. Mobb Deep. Also there are many legends that don't have club bangers like that. I know I mentioned Busta and Treach and they had club hits. but Redman is an all time great (personally he's my GOAT) and he has little to no club or radio hits. Even Red himself talked about going Gold was his standard of excellence for albums.

You are right about the "what ifs" but we can't put everyone in the HOF based on potential. Do you think Len Bias deserves to be in the HOF or considered a basketball legend? Sure the people who live in the DC/MD/VA area would say yes. Maybe even a few people in Boston. But nobody outside of that would, thus he is not a legend unless you are discussing the tragedy around his death. I think that's a good basketball analogy for Big L.
Yea I get it, his style isn't the most appealing to a large crowd but to hip-hop heads he's one of the illest on the mic. He's just not marketable like others were but who knows what could've been had he not died and gone onto a major label. We're only judging what he has done to a point and you can hear L trying to move away from his robbery/goon sh*t to a more "Macking bi*ches, getting money" type.

As for his catalog he has more tracks than Big and Pun.... yet he's not a legend? I mean cmon dude. He's a hip-hop legend any way you put it. Nobody spit like him. whatever man, I'm not trying to change your mind, you don't like L's music that's fine but it's a whole other thing to say he's a nobody in the history of Hip-Hop, that's just bullsh*t.

Last edited by LordBlanco; 02-16-2020 at 08:35 AM..

4 days ago '05        #168
Sivraj 
space
space
Props total: 18866 18 K  Slaps total: 2293 2 K
Damn.....didnt know L was a grimey n*gga like that thought he was a just an innocent skillful rapper that he got caught up in a beef he had nothing to do with. You live that lifestyle you end up mostly getting k*lled.

4 days ago '20        #169
Notnew2this 
space
space
space
Props total: 305 305  Slaps total: 50 50
Interesting thread.. Never knew he was a street dude. Always thought it was a random act of violence to be real. It is what it is then.

3 days ago '12        #170
sOurxd i e s e 
space
space
Props total: 10828 10 K  Slaps total: 991 991
 Alessandro88 said
People in this thread saying nobody cares outside of NY and im sitting here in Europe shaking my head....

Big L was that dude.
facts Big L is huge out there in europe

anyone remember Big LOnline?

I think the dude that created that forum was a euro kid

It was super active in the early 2000s.
+2   

3 days ago '12        #171
sOurxd i e s e 
space
space
Props total: 10828 10 K  Slaps total: 991 991

rip L

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+16online now  29
Image(s) inside Pop Smoke gets revenge on the nigga who slapped him
161 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+95online now  27
Wilder to Fury: "When I found you, you were strung out on coke." ԅ..
138 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  25
Image(s) inside Kehlani respond to Joe Buddens comments from his podcast
79 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  9
Feb 19 - Democrat debate 2/19 now starting mini mike